(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned
    inside of your skeleton, slowly feeding away at your insides,
    Blog Entries

Trailer for his new Demo Reel series.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Insomnia

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Demo Reel looks like it could have potential and be great, but I'll still miss the Nostalgic Critic and all its glory.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Blog Entries

BOOMER... WILL LIVE.

Blog Entries

So he posted the first episode of Demo Reel. What did everyone think?

I'm kinda mixed on it. I'll have to admit that I wasn't overly impressed by the first episode, but at the same time, I kinda feel like it's a good enough pilot for the thing. The first episode of most anything tends to be the weirdest or among the weaker stuff, so it's one of those things that are going to take time. It's a work in progress. Some general observations below:

• I think the show is at its best when it goes through the faux-documentary stuff, similar to Parks and Rec or The Office. Just the random scenes of them arguing in the back room or having talking-heads with the camera. I don't really like it when they do the commercial shots or whatever, where they describe the show like they're doing a TV ad... It kinda takes me out of the documentary/film parody feel of it. I realize some of this will go away after the first episode (no need for exposition anymore)... It just doesn't vibe as well with the presentation of the other stuff.
    • Batman stuff feels a little too played-out by now... They were smart to focus more of the parody on The Dark Knight Rises instead of The Dark Knight (which is really played out), but a lot of the jokes and observations felt a little too familiar to me already. I liked the direction they went about the ending scene of the movie (I think B&R had a discussion about it), but I think they might've tipped their hand too much with the execution of the joke. It was pretty obvious what was going to happen when he went to do the reading. They underlined the "not going to SEE" angle too much.
    • I'm kind of disappointed by Doug Walker's character, just because it's suuuuuuuuch a Doug character. I dunno. It just seems like he's typecasting himself as the usual obnoxious, oblivious character he so often does. He's very good at these kinds of roles, but it would be nice to see him branch out a little. You can definitely see the Ed Wood influence, though.
    • The new actor and actress are good, although I don't remember their character names offhand. The actress character is interesting and silly. Got a little overshadowed by the story with the writer. Would be nice to see her character expand beyond the archetypical "silly dumb actress" thing.
    • The writer character probably stole the show for the first episode. His Alfred impression was really inspired. He does give me a little too much of a 30 Rock'ish vibe, though, with that whole "smart writer, dumb executive/director" angle. Hopefully they find a way to tweak the formula a little so he's not just the "smart guy who gets ignored" in every episode.

Blog Entries

Agreed with you on almost everything, except:

Quote Originally Posted by Grims View Post
    I'm kind of disappointed by Doug Walker's character, just because it's suuuuuuuuch a Doug character. I dunno. It just seems like he's typecasting himself as the usual obnoxious, oblivious character he so often does. He's very good at these kinds of roles, but it would be nice to see him branch out a little. You can definitely see the Ed Wood influence, though.
    I don't know... I think the character has its flaws, but it felt as if Doug wanted to do something entirely different than NC. A cheerful, but incompetent character who never (weirdly loses his cool). It seems as though after years of doing Daffy Duck, he decided to switch sides to Bugs Bunny, albeit an incredibly stupid version. (watch the scene of Tacoma arguing about the super villain shuffle and tell me you don't see Bugs in there) DuPre definitely needs some three-dimensionality, along with Rebecca Stone. Rachel Tietz may have the chops, but I'm entirely unsure of who this character is supposed to be. The naive, Erin from The Office-esque character; a total diva bitch; or just a total fucking moronic bimbo... the Walkers never seemed to decide. (I liked the first version of the character best, imo)

The show will improve when they figure out how to effectively use the characters and resolve the terrible pacing. (so many jokes dragged and dragged and fucking dragged) Unfortunately, I don't know how long people will stay with it. The online reaction has been abysmal and completely negative and full of hatred. The view counts might start plummeting fast even on the next installment. Luckily unlike television shows, it's not an one-night show so hopefully Demo Reel can improve and start the word out to get the audience back.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Just gonna leave this right here...

http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/demo-...-birds-6448349

Blog Entries

Big improvement over last week... You can really see that Doug and Rob is on the same page as what most other people thought about how to improve the show. I did think the second half wasn't quite as good as the first half, though, but it was still really good overall.

Banned
    Blog Entries

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Late as I am, I found out today that he took a shot at Disneycember again and this time he took a look at the Pixar movies. Here's a link to the first review (Toy Story), the rest can be found in the sidebar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B27f1xT3K8

He did some good reviews on the Pixar movies, and his opinions differ from a lot of them. Unexpectedly, he named Up as his favorite of them all, which happens to be mine as well.

Blog Entries

When was this? Is it new? Never seen it before.
    Last edited by Sam; 12-25-2012 at 11:01 AM.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    When was this? Is it new? Never seen it before.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disneycember

Blog Entries

He's reviewing all the Pixar movies and the CGI Disney movies like Bolt and Meet the Robinsons. Not really Nostalgia Critic as much as just Doug reviewing, but still they're pretty good reviews. I agree with a lot of what he says in the reviews especially with Cars 2 and the ending to Ratatouille, though I am slightly against what he says about Toy Story 3, but I guess I can see how it might seem very abnormal for Andy to showcase all of his toys and play with them all, but then again, the movies were kind of part of my childhood, so meh.

Blog Entries

Really? A yearly internet special by Doug has a Wikipedia article?

Kinda surprised that it does. I can see why Nostalgia Critic and That Guy With The Glasses do, but why just a yearly special that is just considered a run of reviews on his website?

Blog Entries

Last edited by Insomnia; 01-22-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Ok I watched the entire video now, The Nostalgia Critic returns on February 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by InsomniaDealer View Post
    Ok I watched the entire video now, The Nostalgia Critic returns on February 5th.
    OMFG YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEES
    I'm so overjoyed.I cant watch the review now cuz Im gonna have to wake up for school early but I'll watch it tomorrow after school

Blog Entries

Dear @Ryan,

I was right and you were wrong.

Sincerely,
    Jims

@Ryan Read your post about how he did Daffy Duck.I think NC's Character is more Basil Fawlty then Daffy Duck personally

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InsomniaDealer View Post
    OMFG... YES!!!!

Let's celebrate dear friends

Blog Entries

So I'm guessing Demo Reel is over now, or will only return for a few occasions I guess. Anyways, really excited to see it coming back and Doug loving it once more. The 2 weeks thing is okay, seeing that it might keep it from getting stale too soon and the non-nostalgic movies allowed thing is a little bit against the nostalgic thing going for the show, but I do really like the idea of Doug doing some of the shitty movies in current years (Smurfs, Yogi Bear, Epic Movie) and really cannot wait to see more Nostalgia Critic in the future.

Blog Entries

Kinda sad to see Demo Reel go... it had real potential.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    Dear @Ryan,

I was right and you were wrong.

Sincerely,
    Jims
    It seems so indeed. A tip of the hat to you sir.

So basically Doug is doing what he should have done in the first place, which was make NC reviews bi-weekly and eradicating his cutoff date. I loved the video, it was cute and clever, as well as long enough to be satisfying while answering every single question anyone might have. The Demo Reel experiment was altogether horribly mismanaged, which was the only thing he refused to address. I think he secretly realizes how godawful of a mistake it is to announce your long-running, still popular series is cancelled a full month after the last episode airs. Although I appreciate his acceptance of DR being what it basically always was: a misfire.

The only thing that is a little sad is that the characters and actors of the show, who indeed had potential (Malcolm, especially) are now unemployed. I really hope Doug finds future use for them.

My guess is we'll see the "lost" episode of Demo Reel next week and then it's off to the NC again. Hopefully the cutoff date being gone doesn't mean he will turn his back on movies from the 80's and 90's, I think there's still untapped potential there.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    Kinda sad to see Demo Reel go... it had real potential.
    which had more potential though?

Blog Entries

Well Nostalgia Critic isn't exactly new is it.

Blog Entries

I thought it was a pretty classy send-off for Demo Reel overall. Doug and Rob could have just quickly cut everything off and said their building exploded, The End. But they decided to build it into the transition and keep a narrative going. Granted it was pretty out-of-the-blue considering the other episodes, but they did make an attempt to fit it in with the last movie. If they hadn't, then the movie would've been a complete and utter waste of a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    It seems so indeed. A tip of the hat to you sir.
    I'm usually wrong about where the NBC comedies are going, so it's nice to finally predict one correctly.

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar

I was seriously praying this would happen eventually. At first, I didn't really mind the Nostalgia Critic ending because his last several reviews were surprisingly weak and I wanted Demo Reel to introduce something fresh to Doug's repertoire of shows. After seeing how low the average ratings for Demo Reel were, and just considering how much I didn't care for the character Donnie from the promotions, I never even watched a single episode of the new series.

I'm really excited to have the Nostalgia Critic back because that character honestly brought out the best qualities Doug could bring to the camera. And I certainly don't mind that he's only posting new reviews every other week, if it means they'll be better. I always thought writing a new 22-minute video every single week seemed like a ridiculous pace to begin with, and this is still faster than the current rate at which the Angry Video Game Nerd is traveling, anyway.
    My favorite and least favorite episodes from each season:
    S1 - Krusty Gets Busted / The Call of the Simpsons S2 - Lisa's Substitute / The War of the Simpsons S3 - Homer at the Bat / Dog of Death S4 - Marge vs. the Monorail / Whacking Day S5 - Marge on the Lam / Bart Gets an Elephant S6 - Who Shot Mr. Burns?: Part 1 / Another Simpsons Clip Show S7 - Bart on the Road / Homerpalooza S8 - You Only Move Twice / The Twisted World of Marge Simpson S9 - The Joy of Sect / All Singing, All Dancing S10 - Simpsons Bible Stories / Sunday, Cruddy Sunday S11 - Treehouse of Horror X / It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge S12 - Trilogy of Error / Tennis the Menace S13 - Half-Decent Proposal / The Sweetest Apu S14 - Moe Baby Blues / Brake My Wife, Please S15 - The Way We Weren't / Bart-Mangled Banner S16 - Sleeping with the Enemy / Thank God, It's Doomsday S17 - The Girl Who Slept Too Little / Homer's Paternity Coot S18 - 24 Minutes / The Boys of Bummer S19 - Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Treehouse of Horror XVIII S20 - Gone, Maggie Gone / Dangerous Curves S21 - O Brother, Where Bart Thou? / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed S22 - Homer the Father / The Fool Monty S23 - The Book Job / Politically Inept, with Homer Simpson S24 - The Saga of Carl / Love is a Many-Splintered Thing

number one burpo fan Hommer for the Holidays's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought that good ole' Doug had bailed on us fans! I'll always love his Nickelodeon Month videos.

Thread Information