Page 199 of 199 FirstFirst ... 99149189190191192193194195196197198199
Results 5,941 to 5,952 of 5952

Thread: The Nostalgia Critic

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Junior Camper

I used to watch Nostalgia critic, the early videos were awesome overall with some of those being a bit hard to go back, than the revival era came, and at that point, I stopped following, and only watched videos If the subject interest me, but I’ll admit there was a lot of pointless subplots and some cringe acting, but it was fine all together.

A problem I find with ceartain reviews is Doug going “This has been done before” and by that, loses points for the movie, like stories can still be interesting, or have another take or twist on the existing story.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: $impson

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Commercial time and better than last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGOhCxkPSog

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

To be honest, I don't really like Nostalgia Critic anymore.

It's not just the serious Channel Awesome debacle and controversy which him and the rest of the remaining crew decided to ignore and just go on as if nothing happened (kind of amusing to see the loads and loads of empty 'Leave a comment' boxes over there) but I think he lost much of his reviewing skills as he comes off as really forced and unfunny now.

I checked out a few reviews like 'Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem', 'Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom' and 'A Wrinkle In Time' (skimmed through most) and he doesn't work anymore and still uses those lame, unfunny and cringeworthy skits to clog up a lot of the reviews (also, it's odd to see him joke about stuff like SJWs searching for things to be offended by in that 'Fallen Kingdom' review, for instance). It really feels like he is digging and trying so hard to find stuff to make fun of that it just comes off as eyerolling.

However, even though the Nostalgia Critic has drastically sunk in quality I'm still interested in Disneycember which is usually well done and worth a watch so looking forward to this year's edition of that (which will be a mixed bag of movies that he hasn't featured yet).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-29-2018 at 01:27 AM.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Doug and company are moving to a new studio. Let's hope it's better than the one they were using.

To be honest, I don't really like Nostalgia Critic anymore.

It's not just the serious Channel Awesome debacle and controversy which him and the rest of the remaining crew decided to ignore and just go on as if nothing happened (kind of amusing to see the loads and loads of empty 'Leave a comment' boxes over there) but I think he lost much of his reviewing skills as he comes off as really forced and unfunny now.
    I can't remember the last time I've been on this board but yeah I'm totally over it. It's not funny. Sketches have been, are and always will be annoying, and he's just reviewing widely panned movies that other reviewers did before.

You'd think he'd understand that it's time to move on but he seems stuck in time warp where it's 8 years ago and people hang on everything he does.

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Incredible Ms. Powers View Post
    I can't remember the last time I've been on this board but yeah I'm totally over it. It's not funny. Sketches have been, are and always will be annoying, and he's just reviewing widely panned movies that other reviewers did before.

You'd think he'd understand that it's time to move on but he seems stuck in time warp where it's 8 years ago and people hang on everything he does.
    At this point, the show is really nothing more than just his source of income, and considering his infamous video where he quit his job, on top of his lack of growth as a serious filmmaker (contrary to what he and all his yesmen think...), it would be too risky for him to shift away from Nostalgia Critic. He still has a large chunk of viewers who ignored the Change the Channel controversy and are just glad to see his face every week, even though the ambition and heart of the early years is totally gone and replaced with what feels like just a bunch of disposable, isolated one-liners, most of which rely on current buzz.

He will probably never be a hugely successful entertainment figure again, especially since the stuff he grew up with is being replaced in the nostalgia cycle by things that younger millennials and Gen-Z’ers grew up with. The overwhelmig bulk of genuinely nostalgic material Doug covera these days is not what has bubbled in his mind since childhood but rather films and shows that he was too old for when they came out and he has to be introduced to through his fans, whether it’s something he loves like Avatar: The Last Airbender and Gravity Falls or something he feels more apathetic about such as the Powerpuff Girls Movie.
    My favorite and least favorite episodes from each season:
    S1 - Krusty Gets Busted / The Call of the Simpsons S2 - Lisa's Substitute / The War of the Simpsons S3 - Homer at the Bat / Dog of Death S4 - Marge vs. the Monorail / Whacking Day S5 - Marge on the Lam / Bart Gets an Elephant S6 - Who Shot Mr. Burns?: Part 1 / Another Simpsons Clip Show S7 - Bart on the Road / Homerpalooza S8 - You Only Move Twice / The Twisted World of Marge Simpson S9 - The Joy of Sect / All Singing, All Dancing S10 - Simpsons Bible Stories / Sunday, Cruddy Sunday S11 - Treehouse of Horror X / It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge S12 - Trilogy of Error / Tennis the Menace S13 - Half-Decent Proposal / The Sweetest Apu S14 - Moe Baby Blues / Brake My Wife, Please S15 - The Way We Weren't / Bart-Mangled Banner S16 - Sleeping with the Enemy / Thank God, It's Doomsday S17 - The Girl Who Slept Too Little / Homer's Paternity Coot S18 - 24 Minutes / The Boys of Bummer S19 - Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Treehouse of Horror XVIII S20 - Gone, Maggie Gone / Dangerous Curves S21 - O Brother, Where Bart Thou? / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed S22 - Homer the Father / The Fool Monty S23 - The Book Job / Politically Inept, with Homer Simpson S24 - The Saga of Carl / Love is a Many-Splintered Thing

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    However, even though the Nostalgia Critic has drastically sunk in quality I'm still interested in Disneycember which is usually well done and worth a watch so looking forward to this year's edition of that (which will be a mixed bag of movies that he hasn't featured yet).
    I haven't watched any of his stuff, new or old, since the controversy, but I'm kind of interested to hear what he did for Disneycember, and how it turned out. Did you end up watching it?

I've already given my thoughts on NC a few pages back, but suffice to say, I definitely agree with you. In fact, I'd go a step further and say that he's been exposed as someone who was never really that good at reviewing or analysis, just riffing and making the kind of silly jokes you might when you're sitting around watching a bad movie with your friends. As a comedian, his sense of humour and style of writing is too derivative, so the sketches fall flat. Couple it with a more mean-spirited attitude, and the charm is gone. I'd still be inclined to watch the older stuff though as it was genuinely entertaining (and it's kind of nostalgic in and of itself now), but in the wake of the controversy, I just don't feel inclined to.
    A little less Generic than before.

Banned

I used to like his stuff. However, after the first year or two, he started doing too many sketches.

I'm sure some people like them, but most sketches (anywhere) tend to come off as very cringey and unfunny. It detracts from the review.

They seem to have just somewhat expanded with time, and I lost interest. With the copyright suits against him, his reviews are now just a series of sketches.

Someone mentioned his lack of growth, and I agree. He should have followed the steps of the Angry Nintendo/Video Game Nerd and branched off to work on more diverse projects.
    Last edited by $impson; 02-12-2019 at 12:24 PM.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beggs View Post
    I haven't watched any of his stuff, new or old, since the controversy, but I'm kind of interested to hear what he did for Disneycember, and how it turned out. Did you end up watching it?
    Yeah, I did watch the most recent Disneycember (just like the previous ones) and it was all good. He took a look at some of the Disney Channel original movies he didn't cover the previous year (and had gotten requests for) and new releases like the Disney Star Wars film and some of the recent Marvel Studios movies. Always interesting to hear his thoughts on the various films.

And I definitely agree with what you're saying about him not being a very good reviewer at all; in fact, I think he's a pretty bad one when he does some more serious ones for movies as he does a lot of dumb mistakes and just has a pretty sloppy reviewing style, which is too bad (I think that James Rolfe, aka AVGN, beats him by far when reviewing films since he is more knowledgeable when it comes to films and he has a serious love for them unlike Doug who is way more picky, critical and close minded about movies and not as good with words, it feels. Kinda comes off as just a gig for him and he doesn't seem to put a lot of heart into it unlike James).

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Beggs

Blog Entries

eh I'm not really into this being 100 more pages of shitting on doug walker
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

Blog Entries

(he does suck tho)

Thread Information