Page 1 of 199 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nostalgia Critic

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned
    inside of your skeleton, slowly feeding away at your insides,
    Blog Entries

The Nostalgia Critic

Discuss the all knowing Nostalgia Critic.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kris

Blog Entries

I've never heard of him until the thread here.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

I'm a fan, I especially enjoyed his cross-over with another Youtube favourite the Angry Video Game Nerd.
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Thompsons View Post
    I'm a fan, I especially enjoyed his cross-over with another Youtube favourite the Angry Video Game Nerd.
    NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD

Critiiiiiiiiic!

Blog Entries

This one is probably my favorite video of his.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I hope The Nostalgia Critic has at least a cameo in The Angry Video Game Nerd Movie.

Blog Entries

On Doug Walkers Facebook page he said Some Nerd requested him for a cameo. Its pretty clear hell be in the movie unless they decide to cut it. I cant wait.
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...27127037353766

Blog Entries

He's funny, even on his Facebook. Damn, he's talented.

I seriously doubt they'll cut it, too. I think the Nerd has pretty much 100% creative control over it. We need a Nerd thread here, too.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cam

As for internet shows, NC is second only to AVGN for me. Been watching this guy's reviews for four years, and I have to say that I don't know how the FUCK he's been doing this almost EVERY WEEK nonstop for that long. And his reviews are still funny! He has a clunker every now and then, but when you think about the fact that he's made over 200 of these things and most of them are funny, that's pretty amazing. Most TV shows that have that many episodes don't have that high of a quality ratio. And this guy doesn't take breaks.

Anyway, fave eps of his are The Room, The Good Son, The Wizard, and pretty much every Schwarzenegger flick he's ever done.

I also really like the episodes he does as just Doug, like the "Top 11 movies I like that everyone else hates". The guy is a great reviewer.

His Dark Knight and Sonic The Hedgehog reviews were pretty memorable too.

Blog Entries

Nostalgia Chick and The Cinema Snob are solid TGWTG productions too.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm a fan though not as much as I was in the past.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I first watched his Godzilla review back in 2009, I've been a fan ever since.

Blog Entries

I'm a big fan. Been watching his show for two or three years now, got into it through the AVGN (like a lot of people do). It's weird to think I've been watching this show weekly for as long as I've been watching something like Community.

What amazes me about the Nostalgia Critic show is how much work that Doug and Rob Walker put into it. Obviously this is now Doug's full time job now, but it absolutely amazes me that he is able to put on an episode pretty much every single week of the year, among all of his other stuff he does. Not just from a labor point of view, but creatively-speaking, that just has to be ridiculously exhausting.

I also like that he mixes things up pretty frequently and tries experiments in some of his videos. Some of them don't really work out that well (like the Let's Play and IMO the Transformers review), but it's tough to get bent out of shape about it. After seeing The Simpsons basically do the same thing over and over again for 15 years, I can appreciate someone who rolls the dice. And when one of his experiments doesn't go well, like the Let's Play, he does throw a hissy fit like The Simpsons do and blame the viewers. He has the self awareness to be able to objectively view criticism and decide how valid it is. He did create Douchey McNitpick to parody this kind of stuff, but even in that video he prefaced it by saying he's fine with criticism but don't be a jerk about it. Which is a very upfront way of going about it.

Tough to come up with favorite episodes, but I'd probably go with his Casper review, his Short Circuit 1 & 2 review, and the Top 11 Nostalgic Mindfucks episode.

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats View Post
    I first watched his Godzilla review back in 2009, I've been a fan ever since.
    Poppity-pop-pop-pop.

Blog Entries

I've actually been watching since 2007, via his YouTube account. It's funny because now he's far more famous as the Nostalgia Critic, but back then he was the king of hyper-editing with the Five Second Movies. They were a big hit among some friends and I back in the fall of 2007, and that's how I discovered his alternate account where he made fun of bad movies.

I remember being astonished at his resilient nature initially, not to mention the sheer quality of what he was putting out. As well, the side videos (Nerd feud) and such, it really brought a sense of newfound paradise to come home to in my (mostly) socially-absent early college years. Although you can get a sense that, though not Doug's fault at all, the producers behind the site took the concept and just went absolutely bonkers with it. I remember seeing an interview with Mike Michaud in 2009 I think about how he planned on branching out 10 different websites, and had over 100 new show concepts. (I think they only debuted two more sites in the long run) Also the amount of reviewers that are on the site is confounding... I know there are people who do absolutely nothing but eat, sleep and watch videos on the internet but it's incredible that some fans really not only watch every reviewer, but can even stomach every reviewer. Even some who were fresh and fun in the late portions of this past decade are now tiring and grating (Spoony, Linkara)... unsurprisingly, the only two who remain any sort of consistency good enough to keep with watching are NC and Lindsay, The Nostalgia Chick. The latter mostly because she is bi-weekly, and her reviews are bathed in a different comedic sensibility than Doug's.

Obviously the last paragraph is leading up to a short rant on the inexplicably dumb anniversary events. The first was likable thanks to its twenty minute running time, the pure surprise of it all and of course the AVGN appearance. After that they've been ratcheted up to 90 minutes (Kickassia), then 135 minutes (Suburban Knights) and now the upcoming Sci-Fi "epic" is rumored to clock in at just about two and a half fucking hours. It doesn't help that the personalities are increasingly more stale and foreign, along with it seeming like a total exercise in collective ego for the entirety of the group. It is the length though, with Doug and Rob scripting it as to give the nearly thirty people present each their little moment in the sun. Supposedly this year is the last of those... things, which gives me further faith that despite the bizarrely pushy fan movement (who would eat up a six-hour miniseries worth of this shit), Doug always has his best interests towards quality at heart.

His current reviews are pretty decent, just hit and miss. Yeah, he's ran out of his own personal childhood vault a long while ago, but I really dislike it when he decides to do a drama/horror flick because he thought it would be interesting to review. About 75% of the time it leads to a snoozer of an episode, although really why complain when the next one is a week away?

Blog Entries

Dad, we're pals, right?

Right.

And we'll always be together, right?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hakuna matata, what a wonderful phrase.

AHHHHHH!

He got me.
    Oh my god!
    But I tore one of that bastard's eyes out though look at that.
    You're pretty sick Chubbs.

Also been a fan since the 5 second movie days.

Blog Entries

But the ship can't sink!

*splash*

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I'm happy, I'm sad, I'm emotionally torn, I'm happy, I'm emotionally distressed by the sequence of events.

Oh Jesus aren't you Darth Vader yet?

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

I liked his early reviews but now I mostly find him obnoxious and unfunny. His recent video on the Simpsons was pretty good though.

Blog Entries

Has anyone seen the latest episode? I'm pretty sure it was the final episode or at least it leading up the new 4th year anniversary movie which will most likely be the last we see of The Critic.
    http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/nosta...by-doo-6305335

Blog Entries

I really love NC. He's just so God Damn funny, and even when he's not making me laugh, he's making some pretty good points about whatever he's reviewing.
    Digimon: The Movie anyone?

I've only seen the "Beaver and Buttface" episode of The Cinema Snob and a few various Nostalgia Chick episodes. They're pretty amusing.
    How to remaster

Banned
    Blog Entries

Nostalgia Critic, The Cinema Snob, and The Nostalgia Chick are my personal favorite reviewers on TGWTG.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InsomniaDealer View Post
    Has anyone seen the latest episode? I'm pretty sure it was the final episode or at least it leading up the new 4th year anniversary movie which will most likely be the last we see of The Critic.
    http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/nosta...by-doo-6305335
    Just watched the Scooby-Doo review (And then the trailer for "To Boldly Flee"). Curious about this being the end I decided to do a little lurking for more info and stumbled upon this little Wikipedia entry

On June 28, 2012, Channel Awesome content producers Doug Walker (The Nostalgia Critic), Lindsay Ellis (Nostalgia Chick) and Todd Nathanson (Todd in the Shadows) signed exclusivity deals with Blip.tv, the video website which has directly hosted most TGWTG and Channel Awesome programming since they left Revver in 2008. The deal will not affect the appearance of the producers' videos on Channel Awesome's That Guy with the Glasses website, and would assist the increase of budget of the three series, as well as provide technical improvements.

Somehow, I don't think the critic is going anywhere anytime soon

Here's another source since people are more hesitant to believe Wikipedia, even when it is telling the truth.
    http://www.reelseo.com/blip-studios/

Blog Entries

To be honest, that review kinda sucked. Stop focusing on the big stuff and start reviewing. This is why people compare him to the AVGN.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Agreed.

However, I kinda liked the ending with the poker game, mostly because I like Rob with a dinosaur mask.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lolfox View Post
    However, I kinda liked the ending with the poker game, mostly because I like Rob with a dinosaur mask.
    Yeah, it was oddly sweet.

Became a fan a few months ago. He is funny and a good reviewer. His most recent stuff is below average, i don't know why he keeps doing crossovers and stuff during the video that distracts from his review.

Blog Entries

So.....anyone seen the video of Doug quitting his old job when he started to make a good living from his videos?

35. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Insomnia

Thread Information