Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    anyway

goddamn round springfield sucks the signs man hindsight
    avenge me Kimba, I mean Simba is funny

the rest eh

this is CNN like I get it but it’s not really funny
    Fuck Joe Biden. #NotMyPresident

This is the worst joke in the classic era and because of that fact it's risen a little in status:

Get woke, go broke

That joke (Rover Hendrix) I never really minded or found so bad. I find it kinda lame, obvious & silly but nothing terrible or anything.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-14-2020 at 09:24 AM.

Blog Entries

I never actually saw the joke as lame, but it was only a tiny bit funny.
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/Love Is A Many Strangled Thing, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Last Traction Hero, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts, S32: Treehouse Of Horror XXXI/The 7 Beer Itch.

SEASON 32 SO FAR:

Undercover Burns: 2.5/5, I, Carumbus: 3.5/5, Now Museum, Now You Don't: 1/5
    Treehouse Of Horror XXXI: 5/5 (Toy Gory: 5/5, Into The Homerverse: 2/5, Be Nine, Rewind: 6/5)
    The 7 Beer Itch: 0.5/5 - WORST OF SEASON SO FAR
    Podcast News: 3/5, Three Dreams Denied: 1.5/5
    The Road to Cincinnati: ?/5, Sorry Not Sorry: ?/5, A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas: ?/5

Blog Entries

Rover Hendrix should’ve been dead by 1995

You're being watched OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I watched a clip of that joke again and really don't see a good reason for its infamy. I'm amused by the sad expression on the dog's face and the sound it makes.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Q. Einstein View Post
    A little LSD is all I need
    I love this joke. Marge being naive often makes for great comedy.

Wears sneakers for sneaking Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don’t really like the LSD joke because it felt kind of forced. It’s not a natural-sounding line.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

I've just remembered how much i hated that Chicken Tonight campaign.

The Pissweak Kids on "The D-Generation" put it best: "the food that makes you dance like a chicken and look like a dickhead!"

Another one from "Lisa's First Word"

Marge: According to this magazine, Bart might be jealous of Lisa
    Homer: Yeah well Bart can kiss my hairy, yellow butt

Just sounds like something out of Family Guy

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandboy

Quote Originally Posted by DWCV View Post
    I've just remembered how much i hated that Chicken Tonight campaign.
    That one and the family doing the just as random Armor Hotdogs performance (both from Lady Bouvier's Lover) I always disliked. They don't make me laugh, just cringe at how stupid, forced and in-your-face random they are (and they feel like they go on forever). They just don't work and feel so out of place somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    That one and the family doing the just as random Armor Hotdogs performance (both from Lady Bouvier's Lover) I always disliked. They don't make me laugh, just cringe at how stupid, forced and in-your-face random they are (and they feel like they go on forever). They just don't work and feel so out of place somehow.
    I think those very things you criticize it for (stupid, forced, in-your-face random and going on forever), are elements the writers purposefully put in to make those jokes funnier.

But in this thread, it's mostly going to be a matter of opinion, so you're perfectly entitled not to find it funny.

It is certainly a subjective thing. I understand they shaped those two jokes in an over the top manner like that to make them funnier but they just didn't work out for me and feel like too much and out of place (even more so with Homer walking past the camera, looking at the viewer and showing the large "Please buy armor brand hot dogs" sign). They feel more 'Family Guy' if anything and would probably be more at home in a random, lesser modern 'Simpsons' episode, but I'm probably one of few.

Blog Entries

I will agree that the joke seems bad, I prefer the random hotdog stand joke in Homer's Triple Bypass.

"I'm on a-rolla-gay" from "Bart the Fink" , mainly due to its awkward integration into the context of the episode and drawing from a disproportionately dour subject of reality. You could argue that the gag is intended to highlight Krusty's flamboyantly narcissistic showmanship, but the gag itself is ultimately unnecessary and kind of provides overt referential baggage/distraction (given that the episode is essentially comparing the largely comically-played disappearance of a TV clown to one of the largest-scale military atrocities in history, which leaves an awkwardly sour aftertaste to me given the extremity and social baggage of making such a comparison, as opposed to the filler gag the crew presumably perceived it as) from the impact of Krusty's subsequent disappearance, otherwise one of the main tentpoles of the episode's narrative.
    Last edited by Captain Wacky; 10-15-2020 at 08:06 AM.

Junior Camper

All the scenes with Bart mooning people, and yes, that includes Bart vs Australia. Just too lowbrow for me. Also, the Burns/Smithers sitcom scene from Rosebud.
    Last edited by Jhadley; 10-16-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Blog Entries

The sitcom scene??? WHAT? That's one of the funniest moments from the episode!

I'll calm down. It's... your opinion after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhadley View Post
    All the scenes with Bart mooning people, and yes, that includes Bart vs Australia. Just too lowbrow for me. Also, the Burns/Smithers sitcom scene from Rosebud.
    It's supposed to be really bad, so that it's funny in a "so bad it's good" way, like many old sitcoms

Blog Entries

The Bart mooning joke is one of the best jokes, and that has continued into the modern era as well. Bart vs Australia was a great example of it being great.

Bart mooning in the scan of Marge's womb is the least funny though. Bart is not Stewie Griffin from Family Guy!

Blog Entries

I just remembered that scene in Homer's Odyssey with the Winfields, that was a weak joke. It's always seemed a bit mean-spirited to me.

Blog Entries

Nah, that part is great. I appreciate the fact that they don't make the situation depressing completely and get some witty dark humor out of it (Homer saying "Live and learn" is another example). I think the word "meanspirited" gets used too purely as a negative, when it can be really funny if it's welldone. Homer's Enemy is undeniably meanspirited, but also one of the funniest episodes of the series.

Blog Entries

probably an unpopular opinion but almost every little sketch in 22 short films - none of them really do it for me, pulp fiction and skinner aside a lot of it falls flat, particularly the bees....

its actually really hard to pinpoint a specific joke in the classic era though because even the less funny stuff is so iconic and made the evolution to meme material, i like the rover hendrix joke mainly because its Homer trying to be a wiseguy and the vet guy actually having a response, the sheer unlikeliness of it is funny alone without realizing this hound has to be like 30.

I suppose almost every Ralph Wiggum bit would have to be my choice, never really found the "Ralph is an idiot har-har" very clever, when its more pathetic than anything "Will you open my milk mommy" is kinda cute, the Bovine University line is just weird tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Treehouse of Spoopy View Post
    no homers dot net

Blog Entries

About the 22 Short Films bit, I did found the Lisa wraparound plotline went on a bit too long (it had some laughs though), and the Apu plotline the least interesting plotline for me. However, the rest of the episode is funny.

Do you want some brownies? Evil Homer's Avatar

Bleeding Gums Murphy singing the national anthem in Dancin' Homer dragged on too long and wasn't funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Homer View Post
    Bleeding Gums Murphy singing the national anthem in Dancin' Homer dragged on too long and wasn't funny.
    the fact that it dragged on for so long was the joke in itself. Sure it wasn't "laugh out loud" funny, but it wasn't forced either like todays jokes

Blog Entries

I like that joke. I chuckle at how bored everyone gets by his lengthy rendition, plus the singing is nice to listen to either way.

Do you want some brownies? Evil Homer's Avatar

The Twisted World Of Marge Simpson also had some very weak jokes. Particularly the list joke about Cletus's kids that dragged on too long, and what was the joke anyway? That his kids had names that were trendy at the time?

Blog Entries

The joke was kinda stretched out, it could've worked better if it was only 1/2 as long as it was, I think it was all because they were trying to show how many kids the average hillbilly family have, and also to prove that Marge's mistake of not having One Per Person (or Household) on it.

Marge having Milhouse's teeth in "Lisa on Ice" and not wanting to give them back was always a weird joke. Forget her refusing to return them, why would she even have them?

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Thread Information