Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Worst Jokes of the Classic Era

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

You're being watched OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Marge's weird behavior is what makes that part so great. I don't think a joke always has to make perfect sense to be funny, sometimes it can be funny because of how odd it is. Marge supporting Homer's illegal activities in Homer vs. The Eighteenth Amendment is another example of how to make an out-of-character moment comedic.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Do you want some brownies? Evil Homer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsy View Post
    This is the worst joke in the classic era and because of that fact it's risen a little in status:

They only reason they say it's one if the worst jokes is because it was an act break joke, and it was weak for an act break joke. If it weren't, then nobody would really think much of it.

I can't think about any joke being the worst or one of the worst from classic era because there are lots of chapters to think about and I'm personally not a big fan of rating in those terms for something as subjective as tastes.

For me "Lisa the Beauty Queen" when Lisa is walking around the school lunchroom and an unnamed kid praises her gait by saying "love that chewing gum walk", then Ralph replies "very wrigley" and they toast their milkshake or whatever they are drinking. Makes me feel a bit uncomfortable because I feel like the joke is that some 7-8 years old kids are sexualizing a 7-8 years old girl, sure they do it in a childish way, but still... Not sure if it's a bad joke, but I never liked this gag and I would even be okay if it was removed.

before JonBenet and Toddlers and Tiaras, female child beauty pageants were seen as cuddly and eccentric. Remember that the woman who voiced Amber Dempsey had been a child beauty queen herself.

There were a few out of character jokes coming from Lisa in season 9, such as "Are those rabbits dead?" "What's with the dot?" and "Who needs college? We're trillionares!"

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Homer View Post
    There were a few out of character jokes coming from Lisa in season 9, such as "Are those rabbits dead?" "What's with the dot?" and "Who needs college? We're trillionares!"
    Yes, because it's the season she gradually became Flanderized even if it was nowhere near as bad as what would come later.

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post
    Yes, because it's the season she gradually became Flanderized even if it was nowhere near as bad as what would come later.
    I pass those off as coming from the 8-year-old side of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Trab Pu Kcip View Post
    The joke was kinda stretched out, it could've worked better if it was only 1/2 as long as it was, I think it was all because they were trying to show how many kids the average hillbilly family have, and also to prove that Marge's mistake of not having One Per Person (or Household) on it.
    That's a good example of the buildup to the joke not being worth it, or the ends not justifying the means. The "one per household" isn't a bad joke, but the excessively long buildup isn't worth it.

the little "gag" in Barts Inner Child with Troy McClure being an alcoholic. It was just uncomfortable to watch.
    Also, same episode, just a little bit before hand, Homer walks through the back door and goes "What up, Marge?"
    I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by The No Homers Club

____________________________________________________________ ____________

"What's the point of going out? We're just going to wind up back here anyway."
    “For once, maybe someone will call me ‘sir’
    without adding, ‘you’re making a scene.'”

Any key....where's the any key?!

Wears sneakers for sneaking Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

“What up, Marge?” is great. I love his happy and upbeat tone in it.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

You're being watched OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Troy McClure was established as an alcoholic early on, so this instance sticking out as depressing doesn’t really make sense to me.

A lot of the examples people have given of "bad jokes" in this thread are either easy enough to brush off or I find them hilarious. I struggle to think of jokes I detest from most classic seasons at all since the humor was of such high quality. If a joke didn’t hit the target, it was rarely dwelled on it too much or overemphasized it to a painful degree like the Jean era often does. They just quickly move on to the next one.

Thread Information