View Poll Results: Good enough to be YOUR best friend?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - What a good dog!

5 27.78%
  • 4/5

3 16.67%
  • 3/5 - Go lay down

4 22.22%
  • 2/5

5 27.78%
  • 1/5 - Put him to sleep!

1 5.56%

Thread: American Dad Rate/Review "Stan's Best Friend"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

500-year-old Mongoose Cow zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

American Dad Rate/Review "Stan's Best Friend"

I liked it. A nice episode about dogs, with another one of thoes funny 1980s song montages and an interesting view on dog heaven. 4/5.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was watching something else so I only saw a few scenes but they seemed to linger on the dark comedy involving how gratuitously gruesome they could make the dog and Steve wailing on and on, both of which got on my nerves and went on much too long. I guess an example of the dark humor not working for me, but I'll watch the entire episode eventually to know for sure...

Banned
    Blog Entries

It was actually very good.. but I agree with the above statement somewhat; it was pretty dark and Kissess 2.0 was so messed up it wasn't that funny... just mostly dark and sad.

Still, it saved itself with the crazy ending in dog heaven... I liked that Stan commented on his dog being at a lake house in heaven in the first act, and it actually played a big role in the final act.

I really laughed hard when Francine called out the series for already using dogs twice and yet Stan now suddenly has this dog problem and past dog trama.

A 4.1 overall rounded down to a 4/5 for the polls.
    Last edited by The Angry Animated Comedy Nerd; 03-28-2012 at 10:13 PM.

3,5/5 the plot was interesting enough (although I kinda wish we had more time spent on the Haley/Jeff subplot), I think it has something lacking, but it still very funny (the reveal of the dog, come off has less funny than it could)

(anyone remembered that Stan actually did have a dog in the ladybug episode)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redem View Post
    (anyone remembered that Stan actually did have a dog in the ladybug episode)
    Yeah, Francine did.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

I really liked this episode too. I think its one of their strongest episodes.
    I think things got a little too weird in the third act, but still very good episode.

Things I liked:

-Steves movie with Jeffs reaction being the stoner.
    - Rodger being a total dick the whole episode.
    - Rodger hitting on Jeff hahaah.

A+ 4/5
    EA's debt list : Father Sean - Shary Bobbins - Chirpy Boy & Bart Junior - Kang Topiary- Blocko Store
    Will not accept barter in the form of 'donut' currency.

Quote Originally Posted by Friz View Post
    Yeah, Francine did.
    Didn't notice it, but continuity nod are always nice

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redem View Post
    Didn't notice it, but continuity nod are always nice
    Yeah she totally called out Stan and the series for already using that old dog from season 1 and fussy from season whatever and Stan having no problems before... it was f'n funny!

I think this is the worst American Dad episode they have created. I really did not care for this episode.
    It already set off on the wrong foot by creating yet another facet of Stan that somehow presents a problem (despite the contradiction of older episodes). I'm tired of "this week, Stan has a life-long problem where [x]". Apart from that, this episode was just poor. I don't think I'll ever rewatch it.

Blog Entries

DAFUQ?! Hot air balloon basket of pirate cats? :| Hello? Adult Swim? One of your more pathetic inmates got out.
    I agree with Mr. Krikt. Just too contrived and mean spirited for me, almost like Family Guy (despite that I watch both shows to death, half the redeeming quality of AD! is that it isn't the same show in different packaging). I had remembered Stan as unenthusiastic about dogs before, and now you guys have proved me wrong I just dislike this episode extra amounts. To think I'd nearly persuaded my mum to start watching it again! OK there were some good moments that have been pointed out, but this was barely watchable for American Dad! I just don't think lampshading is enough for so much dog history. (Who wrote this one?)

Ok well I love the message/ENDING sentiment of the episode because yeah your pets shouldn't suffer. And putting pets down is the hardest shit I've had to go through. I damn near cried when he talked to his dog.

However, that was just rough to watch. Before I was a little less "horrified" about the really bad treatment of animals this show displayed because I could find something to "laugh" at. I couldn't this time. Seeing the dog that way may have traumatized me minorly and it doesn't help that I was extremely toasted when I watched. Plus the way he put it down, while I could've found humor in it, just shocked me. Not only that but I did in fact get a new puppy recently so I think it was just baaaaaad timing and execution combined.

I did love Francine pointing out the dogs that have shown up in the past, though. And most of the other stuff that wasn't necessarily about the dog.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Alright so I just watched and I'll say 2 on the poll. I still thought much of the stuff with the dog and Steve was either annoying or really dark/unpleasant to sit through. Considering this is supposed to be a comedy that isn't good. The bigger point, I assume, about allowing ones pet to die to save it from suffering in a hopeless situation seemed.....I dunno, like it was just dealt with quickly almost out of obligation and so, like this episode, really left no impact. Some "cute" stuff like Roger being attracted to Jeff(the first time), the use of Weird Science, and Stan's reaction to the Klaus mix-tape...but at best this episode gave me a grin or two, no actual laughs. I appreciate that Hayley and Jeff got used since there was a span of episodes where they never even appeared, but their story felt like padding and was also rather unmemorable.

PS: Lots of random stuff like the sea-creature in dog heaven and the cat pirates...yeah...

PPS: I never noticed before but if you look closely when Stan is driving to work in the opening, just before Roger interrupts him some of the people he drives by appear to be Steve's friends with their backs turned...surprised I didn't catch that sooner considering this version of the opening has to be over 3 years old now.

Blog Entries

This was just odd. I don't mind dark humour actually, but this was a little much. The idea of this plot could have been executed with more care. Why introduce this emotional and interesting story about Stan and his dog to just sh*t on it later? Yes, it was brought up again, but not in the best manner. This was just really, really out there. Balloon pirate cats? That seems like a really random family guy joke more than anything. That was just really weird for AD. If they made this episode with more focus on steve and the dog (maybe not kill him in the first five minutes?) there would be a greater emotional connection to this story. I would have enjoyed that a hell of a lot more than what occured here. The story practically writes itself, yet they managed to screw this up. I hope this streak of crappy episodes ends soon. There hasn't been a good episode since the wheels and the legman one, unfortunately. 2/5

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

That was pretty hard to watch. I get what they were going for, but instead of it being an emotional punch in the gut a la Jurassic Bark, it was more like a bleak slow-burn throughout the whole thing. And it only got more twisted and unpleasant as it went on, with the reconstructed puppy and all. There were some solid jokes to lighten things up every now and then, but when much of my emotions associated with the episode is of discomfort and mild disgust, it's hard for me to say I really enjoyed it or care to watch it ever again.

2/5

I do think American Dad's had a rather good run this season, though.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's a no contest when compared with "Jurassic Bark", the Futurama dog related epiosde is much, much, much better.

3/5, but nothing amazing.
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

I watched this one for the first time ever today.

It was okay, but nothing special. The emotion felt really dry and forced and I barely laughed. I'll give it a 3/5 to be nice.

I'll take Futurama's Jurrasic Bark over this one any day.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Blog Entries

One of my least favorites. 1/5.

Blog Entries

This episode is one of my least favourites of the series.

The Crime-Solving Boat Knightboat's Avatar

At first it was going with a premise the show had already done (the one when Stan gets a dog for some reason and called it Fluffy or something). Then the episode turned and went all dark. Not funny enough.

Curiouser and curiouser MindQuad's Avatar

I think this episode is excellent. Consistently funny with a touching ending. I know some people are really turned off by Franken-kisses but it's pretty damn funny if you ask me.

Blog Entries

i think steve crying relentlessly in this episode is more sad than funny. sure, his reactions are exaggerated, but damn if it just doesn't break your heart.

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Swoony

Blog Entries

Roger laughing at him crying was one of the few things in the episode that made me laugh, i'll admit.

Azarath metrion zinthos! Sweet_Potatoes's Avatar

I thought this was the worst episode of AD EVER until I saw "Max Jets." At least there are some enjoyable things in this one, like Roger tattling to Stan, Roger hitting on Jeff, Hayley's and Jeff's sideplot, Jeff's reaction to Steve's video, doggie heaven, and prior to his injury Kisses was so cute! Stan's reaction to Klaus's mixed tape was also funny....it's really Roger, Jeff, and Klaus that get me to watch parts of this episode in rerun. I also liked the tribute to a crew member's dog and I almost cried when Stan talked to his dog Freddie. Still, after recently seeing "Jurassic Bark" I prefer that one to this one. Futurama's version made me bawl, and I'd rather cry and feel sorry for the characters than be turned off by what happens to them.

Blog Entries

seriously guy, max jets isn't that bad.

Blog Entries

I actually really enjoyed Max Jets, It was really funny.Dumb story but really funny.

Blog Entries

i did too, it had bad characterizations, but they had been seen before, and it was a fun ep.

No way...in my estimation the absolute worst episode of American Dad is "Less Money, Mo Problems". One of the few episodes I didn't really laugh at all at, the story was really lame. This episode was pretty good, especially with the Stan characterization. Plus really funny moments...Steve's wailing ("WHY DID YOU BRING ME OUT HERE TO LISTEN THIS BORING LAWYER TALK!!"), Oingo Boingo in the library, Stan's his own tailor, Klaus's mixtape, Jeff and Roger, and of course the pirate cats. Sure it's no Jurassic Bark but for a dog episode it's thoroughly solid with a sweet ending.

Blog Entries

Of course the pirate cats? One of the worst parts of AD! history for sure. The Steve whining parts were akin to the woman being raped in Baby Not on Board on Family Guy, not funny and just kinda sad to watch. Yeah, I didn't really like Less Money either, but that one was just boring.

I dunno, I like the idea of a band of pirate cats flying around to randomly terrorize dogs who also go "me-arrr!". It's completely absurd and random but it always worked for me.

Thread Information