Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 Second Simpsons

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Clupid bloropope Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    Nice pick-up on that... I did it that way, partially because of the way the song is structured, but also as a reference to the ongoing debate about whether or not Season 1 truly is classic.
    Weeeeellllll...maybe you should've done something similar with season 9.

(Don't...speak.. @Handsome B. Wonderful)
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Blog Entries

So, you're a dictator?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Weeeeellllll...maybe you should've done something similar with season 9.

(Don't...speak.. @Handsome B. Wonderful)
    Hey, the song is already only 2:38 long. That's like only 20 seconds per season as is!

I'm surprised no one has called me out for shafting Season 3 and Season 5 so terribly in the video, at only 11 seconds a piece. Blame musical phrasing, if you must.

Blog Entries

That was really great and fun.

Hopefully you continue for a long while, buddy!

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jims

Blog Entries

Thanks @ryanooooo! And thanks (along with @Stevil) for being such great sounding boards for me to bounce ideas off of over AIM. I recall, after discussing a couple episode ideas, you really made me re-think the way I should go about them. I recall we had quite a lengthy debate over The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show.

Hired Goon

Love the Green Greens remix song!

Great montage! All of those screens made me smile. Now if only the show had just fucking ended there, we'd have one of the most flawless runs of a TV series ever.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jims

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    I recall we had quite a lengthy debate over The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show.
    I still think Poochie's death on his way back to his home planet was a subtle metaphor but I guess that's just me.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Nice work done with this tribute which was really something different from your usual videos; you did a really good job putting it together.

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jims

inside of your skeleton, slowly feeding away at your insides,
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ryanooooo View Post
    I still think Poochie's death on his way back to his home planet was a subtle metaphor but I guess that's just me.
    POOCHIE WAS AN INSIDE JOB.
    Season Rankings
    7 > 6 > 8 > 4 > 3 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 10 > 13 > 12 > 15 > 14 > 16 > 18 > 17 > 20 > 19 > 21 > 22 > 23

Motto

If you do drugs, you go to hell, before you die. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by InsomniaDealer View Post
    I trust Al Jean more than I trust my own mother. That bitch.

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

Nicely made tribute!

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jims

a whiz with cold drinks Frightenin' Mate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All of your videos are great, as well as the tribute to the classic era. I don't always agree with your reviews, but they are always put in a very intelligent manner, so they are really interesting to watch, and see a sometimes-opposing point of view.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jims

direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jims, these are always great!

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jims

Blog Entries

Quick update. I usually try to do these once every two weeks but I took a week off after celebrating the 20th episode, as well as to enjoy the holiday.

Besides, I can't post a review of Marge Be Not Proud in December. That wouldn't make sense.

Blog Entries

...you mean November, yes?

Blog Entries

Wow, I really messed up that one.

Yeah, November.

Blog Entries

It's December.

It's the holidays.

It's Marge Be Not Proud.

Enjoy.

Great as usual Jims

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jims

Great video and great episode, it's getting a little too much flak in the favorite Christmas episode thread right now but it's leading in the poll by a fair margin.
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jims

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

My Mom's favorite episode of the show.

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jims

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great review, Jims! Still my second favourite of all time.

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jims

inside of your skeleton, slowly feeding away at your insides,
    Blog Entries

Jims, whenever I feel doubts about the forum, you always prove me wrong by making a fantastic episode of 60 Second Simpsons.

Please, make this neverending.

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jims

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Thompsons View Post
    Great video and great episode, it's getting a little too much flak in the favorite Christmas episode thread right now but it's leading in the poll by a fair margin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    My Mom's favorite episode of the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
    Great review, Jims! Still my second favourite of all time.
    I'm a huge fan of this episode as well. I think I had it in my Top 5 last time we did the episode polling.

To be completely honest, one of the reasons I did this episode was because I get tired of people pointing at it as being bad because it's too sentimental or too sitcommy. There's a certain blog that seems to hate this episode in particular but I've never gotten why. While I would agree that it's more sentimental and traditional than the rest of Season 7, there's nothing about it that seems any different from the typical Season 2 or Season 3 episode. Actually, when I first started following The Simpsons more closely, I was surprised to learn that the "Bart steals" episode was from Season 7... I had really thought it was an earlier episode than this.

It's a really retro episode in a lot of ways. After Season 4 and then 2 seasons of Mirkin, this episode does stand out a bit in terms of tone.

I took a shot at Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie in this review for not having any real stakes, but I feel like that episode is the best comparison. And it demonstrates how the writers use Homer and Marge so differently. Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie has to be a much lighter and softer episode, because Homer and Bart are both wacky fun "warm" characters, and inserting drama into the episode wouldn't work. Whereas Marge (like Lisa) is a much more introspective and "cool" character, so it's more difficult to just do a wacky Marge/Bart romp. This episode has to be on the more serious side of things because Marge is just a serious character.

So I really appreciate that they took the time to really analyze how, if Marge is such a doting mother, then how the hell did Bart turn out to be such a rebel. They actually did a really careful character study of the way they interact, instead of using some flimsy plot device like Bart wanting to see some movie.

I agree, the sitcom aspect combined with Bart's edginess and the general comedic value of the writing is what made the show appealing to me in the first place. This definitely felt like a season 2 episode and looking back I mave have underrated it somewhat as I had it at number 27 on my top 50.

Blog Entries

Let's finish off the month of December with another holiday classic, Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire. Although you'd be hard pressed to find a more classic episode than this one. But ya never know.

I mentioned it in the video, but I really do think this might be the best pilot episode of all time. I realize it's not technically a pilot episode since it was written so much later, so maybe the correct term would be "first episode". But it's just amazing what an effective job it does at introducing the characters, while still managing to put together an interesting story that's both cynical and heart-warming. It's a very modern, working-class Christmas special. It sets out to describe what a typical middle-class Christmas looks like, including the annoying responsibilities, challenges, and joys that come with it. It's a really slow-paced episode in comparison to other stuff, but I really enjoy how it takes a moment to slow down and add those little observational nuances.

Definitely one of my most respected episodes ever.

This is a great first episode and it ranks right up there with the Charlie Brown's of the world for Christmas specials. I guess it was a blessing in disguise that "Some Enchanted Evening" had so many animation mistakes. Off the top of my head the only other first episode this good was the 2 hour ER premiere.

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Man, Simpsons Roasting is such a fantastic episode. Doesn't get nearly enough credit.

a whiz with cold drinks Frightenin' Mate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's good as a pilot, but on its own, it's weak for the classic era. Still very good, though.

Blog Entries

It sparkles in a marvelous way towards the success it garnered because it was such a brilliant, accidental move.

Introducing the show in a half-hour format via a cynical, hilarious yet still sweet Christmas special seemed to work wonderfully. They picked one of the first season's best to snag their audience, and got away with the "oh, this is a series now?!" reaction by advertising it as a special. And what a coincidence: people loved it. Better advertise the series now!

"By the way, we made more of these. Lucky you, 1990's audiences!"

40. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Blog Entries

I almost decided not to do this review. I remember looking at the YouTube likes/dislikes on my "The Secret War of Lisa Simpson" and noticing how completely mixed the reaction was to that review, moreso than any other one. Except for maybe my "Homer vs. Dignity" semi-positive review. It seems like, even in the world of negative reviews on the internet, no one likes it when you trash a classic Simpsons episode. Even if you try to present it diplomatically, it still doesn't come off that well. People love their old Simpsons episodes.

So, with trepidation, I present my 60 Second Simpsons review of The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson.

I've made my views fairly well-known about this episode on NHC over the years, so I'm not going to write a lengthy essay here about it. It's one of those weird episodes where I can appreciate the quality of the writing and the wordplay jokes and the directions. But the tone of the episode ruins it for me. While doing this video, I was kind of surprised to see that it was an Oakley & Weinstein episode, because it feels so much like a Scully one. Not really from a Jerkass Homer perspective (because I don't think he's jerkass here), but more from a general negativity perspective. Scully episodes sometimes have this nihilistic aura about them, which is something this episode seems to share in. It's just that life sucks and there isn't much you can do about it.

All this being said, I am going to completely demonstrate what a hypocrite I am during my next episode I pick.

Blog Entries

I personally like that episode, but its always fun to see why another simpsons fans doesnt like an episode I like.
    Great Review

43. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jims, zartok-35

Thread Information