Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 Second Simpsons

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

I miss this thread.

Blog Entries

New episode should be up tonight, barring any further issues with post-production. Would've had it done last weekend, but I added a few bells and whistles for this particular episode.

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

I'm glad you're not rushing it, @Grims. I look forward to each new ep.

Blog Entries

It's done!

Considering that Halloween is upon us, I figured it would be time to do a special episode, complete with an updated title sequence. Enjoy!

I picked a Castlevania song, just for @Stevil

inside of your skeleton, slowly feeding away at your insides,
    Blog Entries

Well sheeeeeeeeeit...
    Season Rankings
    7 > 6 > 8 > 4 > 3 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 10 > 13 > 12 > 15 > 14 > 16 > 18 > 17 > 20 > 19 > 21 > 22 > 23

Motto

If you do drugs, you go to hell, before you die. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by InsomniaDealer View Post
    I trust Al Jean more than I trust my own mother. That bitch.

Hired Goon

RIP Sagat remix

Love it! Also loved your choice of the Vampire Killer theme. It worked really well for the Halloween theme of the vid. Well done as always buddy

Blog Entries

Always loved how Edgar Allen Poe got a writing credit.

Great Jobs Jims ! I fully agree with you : this treehouse of horror is by far the scariest and strangest one on the entire show. I first saw this episode when I was 12 years old and boy did story number 1 ever spook me out ! Today I'm 20 and the atmosphere in the first story still manages to make me feel a bit uneasy.

By coincidence, this episode was on TV last night and I saw your point about it concentrating on the atmosphere more than the jokes.
    Great review!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    Love it! Also loved your choice of the Vampire Killer theme. It worked really well for the Halloween theme of the vid. Well done as always buddy
    The Castlevania series' music is so good. I wanted to pick something to match the usual 60 Second Simpsons theme, so it worked out really well that Joshua Morse (the Sagat remix guy) did a couple albums of Castlevania music to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by alex_on_ice View Post
    Great Jobs Jims ! I fully agree with you : this treehouse of horror is by far the scariest and strangest one on the entire show. I first saw this episode when I was 12 years old and boy did story number 1 ever spook me out ! Today I'm 20 and the atmosphere in the first story still manages to make me feel a bit uneasy.
    I think it's almost 100% the music in Bad Dream House. With the typical Alf Clausen soundtrack, I dunno if the segment would end up that scary. The dialogue helps too, though. I always get really creeped out by that like, "The butcher knife, Lisa..."

Quote Originally Posted by chinese smoke View Post
    i still feel that The Thing And I is the creepiest, even with the jokes.
    Definitely way up there in terms of scariness. I'd say the scariest segments are probably Bad Dream House, Nightmare Cafeteria, and Nightmare on Evergreen Terrace. In screencapping the Willie episode (for the intro), I forgot about how disturbing some of the imagery is in that segment.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good stuff as always Jims. I was hoping someone would pick a THOH for the episode club this month but ah well...

Blog Entries

Speaking of Cafeteria, I always thought that Skinner said this, "Ohh, Jimbo! This is by far the worst-- mm. AND TASTIEST--" but the tastiest line wasn't on the DVD. Did I just imagine that?

Blog Entries

The original THOH is easily the only in the series that seems to be legitimately going for a creepy, atmospheric horror vibe.

There's some fantastic dark comedy and macabre imagery in later episodes, but they never tried to really play it more straight than in the first year. In fact THOH II almost immediately ramps up the silliness, not sure if that's due to complaints from viewers (despite the earnest Marge warning) or the new Jean/Reiss-helmed writing staff.

Blog Entries

It's really annoying how I had this baseball-themed episode just ready to go because it's the World Series (OMG topical), and then the Giants go and sweep the Tigers like that. Booooooo Giants.

(By the way, is the video being kinda laggy for anyone else when you play it? This one and the last one lags a little on my PC, but none of my other videos do. The video file didn't lag either, it's ust when I uploaded it. It's weird.)

I didn't really talk about Wonderbat in the review much, but it's kind of an interesting element for a Homer success story. When you watch the episode, they really do portray it as a "magic bat". Homer repeatedly calls it that, and whenever he swings the thing, he hits a home run and magical music is played. And Homer was clearly not a great player in the previous seasons, as the team went 2-28. But The Simpsons isn't really a show that suggests that magic is real, or at least not as a major plot element... So it's most likely just a big placebo.

But the interesting thing is how straight they play the episode. There's no Bart or Lisa commenting on the placebo effect or questioning the logic behind a magic bat. It's completely earnest all the way through the first act. This difference feels like the difference between a Season 3 and a Season 4 episode... A Season 4 episode would've played the first act more meta, and Season 3 does it sincerely. Of course, considering how ridiculously meta the second two acts are, that's probably the main reason why they had to do Act 1 that way... But still, I feel like if this were produced one season later, Act 1 would've been very different in tone.

Episode 20 is going to be a special episode. Not a traditional 60 Second Simpsons show, but something I've wanted to put together for a long time. I'm looking forward to working on it.

Blog Entries

Homer at the Bat is an interesting one because it would never pop into my mind if someone asked me what the funniest Simpsons episode is, but I can enjoy it. I'm a Baseball fan, but everyone here was before my time, even Griffey even if he was technically still playing when I got into Baseball, and Canseco's a cheater and scum so there's that. The story is still very funny but I dunno. I'm hesitant to say it would make my Top 50 episodes in all honestly. I prefer more familial stories I think to the giant guest cavalcade even if the story ensures they are mostly very funny. Aside from that I dunno I just don't find myself thinking about this episode that much. The song over the credits is fantastic though. Good as always @Grims and I eagerly await your 20th episode.

Blog Entries

Homer at the Bat is indeed the quintessential "fun" Simpsons episode. I could and will never tire of watching it. Hate having to sound like a broken record, but another damn good episode sir!

Blog Entries

Thanks guys!

The weird thing about it is that I really don't care for baseball that much. Going to a live game is fun but watching it on TV is really boring. More of a football guy.

But, man, Homer at the Bat is so good. Not a single joke fails. Not even one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grims View Post
    It's really annoying how I had this baseball-themed episode just ready to go because it's the World Series (OMG topical), and then the Giants go and sweep the Tigers like that. Booooooo Giants.

(By the way, is the video being kinda laggy for anyone else when you play it? This one and the last one lags a little on my PC, but none of my other videos do. The video file didn't lag either, it's ust when I uploaded it. It's weird.)

I didn't really talk about Wonderbat in the review much, but it's kind of an interesting element for a Homer success story. When you watch the episode, they really do portray it as a "magic bat". Homer repeatedly calls it that, and whenever he swings the thing, he hits a home run and magical music is played. And Homer was clearly not a great player in the previous seasons, as the team went 2-28. But The Simpsons isn't really a show that suggests that magic is real, or at least not as a major plot element... So it's most likely just a big placebo.

But the interesting thing is how straight they play the episode. There's no Bart or Lisa commenting on the placebo effect or questioning the logic behind a magic bat. It's completely earnest all the way through the first act. This difference feels like the difference between a Season 3 and a Season 4 episode... A Season 4 episode would've played the first act more meta, and Season 3 does it sincerely. Of course, considering how ridiculously meta the second two acts are, that's probably the main reason why they had to do Act 1 that way... But still, I feel like if this were produced one season later, Act 1 would've been very different in tone.

Episode 20 is going to be a special episode. Not a traditional 60 Second Simpsons show, but something I've wanted to put together for a long time. I'm looking forward to working on it.
    You do know that the magic bat and music is a reference to "The Natural" right? I took that part of the plot as no more than a homage (or rip off) of that movie. This is my favorite episode of season 3 and combines great guest stars with a fun story. For me the video cuts off at the 1:13 mark. I'll forgive you though, job well done once again!
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Mansons View Post
    You do know that the magic bat and music is a reference to "The Natural" right? I took that part of the plot as no more than a homage (or rip off) of that movie. This is my favorite episode of season 3 and combines great guest stars with a fun story.
    Hmmmm, I didn't know about the magic bat part of The Natural. I knew about the music thing, but I don't know much about the specific plot of the movie... Just figured it was one of those "guy is good at baseball" kinda movies. I guess that further explains why they played the magic bat angle of it more straight.

For me the video cuts off at the 1:13 mark. I'll forgive you though, job well done once again!
    Definitely weird. I may try re-uploading it or whatever if people are having trouble with it. Is anyone else having issues?

I cleared my cookies yesterday and now it seems to play just fine, so I don't know what the deal with it is.

It's not "magic" per se but in the movie lightning strikes a tree where the main character Roy Hobbs's late father is buried under. Roy carves a branch from the tree into a bat, calls it "Wonderboy" and has a promising career that is seemingly cut short. He returns at the age of 35 and picks up right where he left off. That's pretty much the gist of it without giving too much away.

EDIT: The video works for me now.
    Last edited by The Thompsons; 10-31-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

Again, well done, @Grims. And to think that this episode was dubbed into Arabic.

In the original, and I'm paraphrasing:

Marge: Kids, tell me when your father's done scratching himself. (Beat) Kids?
    Bart: Okay, okay, we'll tell you, Mom.

In the Arabic dub:

(The shot of Homer scratching at his crotch was either cut or altered. We see him frowning at the very least.)

Mona: Kids, tell me when your father's in better spirits. (Beat) Kids?
    Badr: Okay, we'll tell you, Mom.

All the players' names were changed too, into Arabic sound-alikes.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: hutz

Blog Entries

For my 20th video, I wanted to do a video about something very near and dear to us superfans at the NHC.

It is true that we often idolize the Classic Era, heralding it as the basis of what is and what should a Simpsons episode be. And to some degree, the classic era represents what a television show in general should be. It demonstrates what kinds of highs and lows a show should have. What kinds of jokes a show should have. What kinds of storylines. But furthermore, the Classic Era demonstrates how consistently amazing a show can be written. It basically says, yes, a series this consistently good is possible. This is not out of the realm of possibilities. It really can be this good.

Simply put, the Classic Era is what made us superfans.

So here's to you, Classic Era. Thanks for the best 8 consecutive seasons in television history.

Blog Entries

I don't think I wanna watch this one. As a defender of the show post Season 8 I probably wouldn't enjoy the implications even if stated indirectly only(which is an assumption.)

Looking forward to 21.

There's no dialogue @Oh, that's raspberry! It's just a series of images. Thanks for the trip down memory lane Jims

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jims

Blog Entries

Oh really? How artsy! Well ok then.

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jims

A great tribute to one of the most consistent runs in television history. Interesting that you set up season 1 as kind of a "prologue" before doing the countdown to season 2 and starting from there. Different, but good.

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jims

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great video, @Jims! Really captured the spirit of the Classic Era.

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jims

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    I don't think I wanna watch this one. As a defender of the show post Season 8 I probably wouldn't enjoy the implications even if stated indirectly only(which is an assumption.)

Looking forward to 21.
    Geez, raspy, after my even-handed reviews of Day of the Jackanapes, The Great Louse Detective, and Homer vs Dignity, I would've thought I would've gotten the benefit of the doubt by now. It's not meant to demean the later seasons in anyway... It's simply a celebration of what were 8 amazing seasons of television.

Quote Originally Posted by The Thompsons View Post
    A great tribute to one of the most consistent runs in television history. Interesting that you set up season 1 as kind of a "prologue" before doing the countdown to season 2 and starting from there. Different, but good.
    Nice pick-up on that... I did it that way, partially because of the way the song is structured, but also as a reference to the ongoing debate about whether or not Season 1 truly is classic. I tend to lean toward the side of including Season 1, but it's really close. This way, it's kind of ambiguous. At the very least, one could say Season 1 serves as a warm up for 2-8, which works well with the song.

I was really excited to do this episode in particular, and had been meaning to do it for several months now. I realize that this episode will never rack up a huge amount of views (because no one is ever going to search for a Simpsons tribute), but I did it as purely a labor of love and respect toward what made the Classic Era great.

But also, I just really love musical tributes. In high school, I was really into marching band, going to lots of competitions and various venues and it really instilled in me this concept of putting a musical selection into a visual medium. Not necessarily as a performance but as a representation of the music, in a way... The way they can just fit together perfectly. Using an arrangement of an old Kirby song is obviously a strange choice for a Simpsons tribute, of course. But I've always liked the juxtaposition of two different mediums/genres together to see how they play off of each other. And also, Simpsons music tends to be heavily copyrighted (and enforced), so using these remixes lowers my risk of all that hard work being taken down by Fox.

But, even though it's still essentially music from Kirby, I wanted to pick something that represented the spirit of the Classic Era. Something fast and hard-driving in its melody. It could be that subconsciously I channeled @TriforceBun's love of The Simpsons and the Kirby series as well and that's why my mind made the connection between the two.

Or maybe I'm just a crazy person.

I'm a big defender of season 1 being included and it irks me when people don't have it as part of the classic era. I only caught that because when I first watched it I was thinking "where was season 1?" I went back a second time and saw you included season 1 images only in the intro so I let it slide.

Blog Entries

you have a point @Jims and I'm sorry, but staying here too long...changes people. This place tends to have a Shining thing going on

Thread Information