Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 Second Simpsons

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

These are brilliant keep it up

I just got caught up with all of these, excellent work @Jims!
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

I watch all the episodes that I miss during I wasn't there and your work is amazing! This is a really great job and it's sure that I will watch the other that you'll make in the future!
    My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings/Reviews:
    Clown in the Dumps : 1/5 / The Wreck of the Relationship : 3,5/5 / Super Franchise Me : 3/5 / Simpson Horror Show XXV : 2,75/5

Blog Entries

It's finished! Time for Part 2 of our amazing Sideshow Bob trilogy, Day of the Jackanapes. Sponsored by our dear friend Mr. Tired Plot Device. Listen as Jims talks really, really, really fast!

I couldn't cut down the script, sue me.

Enjoy!

Good review, Jims

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think you're over-hatin' the hypnotism plot device...or...more likely...I just wasn't really bothered by it. I really enjoy this episode. Many great jokes and visuals throughout.

It sounds like you hate the episode, but to me you spent more time trying to find positives in the actual review. I guess that's interesting, but I feel like it contrasts with your overall opinion. But it is largely due to the 60 second limitation I'm sure.

Regardless, much better than I was expecting actually.

Blog Entries

Thanks, @LittleMissLisaSimpson.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    I think you're over-hatin' the hypnotism plot device...or...more likely...I just wasn't really bothered by it. I really enjoy this episode. Many great jokes and visuals throughout.

It sounds like you hate the episode, but to me you spent more time trying to find positives in the actual review. I guess that's interesting, but I feel like it contrasts with your overall opinion. But it is largely due to the 60 second limitation I'm sure.

Regardless, much better than I was expecting actually.
    It's weird, when I re-watched the episode I didn't find it quite as bad as I remember overall, so I ended up giving it a more mixed review than expected. Like I said in the review, it's mostly for the Krusty stuff, like with Lindsey Naegle having the audacity to give Krusty notes WHILE ON THE AIR. And a lot of Krusty's "final show" segments are funny too.

There is some fun Bob and Bart moments during the episode. I particularly like Bob's indecision over "in your command" or "in your power". When Bart becomes a zombie, they're less interesting, however.

I just really, really, really, really hate hypnotism plots. They, along with amnesia (WHICH THE SIMPSONS ALSO DID), are plot devices that should never be done again in modern television. Unless they're being done ironically.

Blog Entries

Bob's kettle chips, Maggie shooting Burns again, Bob's animation as he claws his hands and laughs while Bart smashes the Krusty, the Skinner nod act break, the ring around the rosies horror movie vibe as Bart goes to the shack....so many great moments.

I just found it odd that, to me, your review for The Secret War of Lisa Simpson sounded much more negative but I doubt that was your intent.

Blog Entries

Bob's kettle chips, Maggie shooting Burns again, Bob's animation as he claws his hands and laughs while Bart smashes the Krusty, the Skinner nod act break, the ring around the rosies horror movie vibe as Bart goes to the shack....so many great moments.
    I used to like the Maggie shoot Mr. Burns joke more, but on re-watch I found that they hang on it too long. They just all sit there for 5 seconds awkwardly. It's kind of weird. I did really appreciate that horror movie vibe with Bart, though, since they rarely go for atmosphere in modern era Simpsons anymore.

I just found it odd that, to me, your review for The Secret War of Lisa Simpson sounded much more negative but I doubt that was your intent.
    I think some of it is always going to be that I start with the public perception a little bit and adjust the tone based on that. We all know that modern era sucks and whatever, so if I find something that I find pretty good in one of them, I'm more likely to throw them a bone in the review (like the great 1st act in Homer vs. Dignity). Whereas a classic era episode is already automatically put on a pedestal, so I'm more likely to knock it down a little. Of course, sometimes when I don't have any problems with an episode (like Cape Feare or Bart Sells His Soul), I'll just do the "everything is wonderful" speech. After writing a couple of those, I can see why negative reviews (like AVGN) are so popular. Being nice is hard to write interestingly.

Modern Simpsons has made me a little tired of the whole Pity Party Lisa episodes, so watching something like The Secret War of Lisa Simpson again makes me notice its constant clambering for sympathy. It is just relentless in how much they want you to feel bad for Lisa. Scene after scene after scene of it. I feel kinda bad about glossing over its good features, but the execution of the episode gets on my nerves so much that it kinda took over the review. It's probably in my Bottom 10 Classic Eras. Probably.

I definitely like "Secret War" more than "Jackanapes" though.

Blog Entries

I love how Season 12 is still considered "modern Simpsons."

I still think you're WAY too harsh on Secret War if it really is in your Bottom 10 of the classic era, but hey...opinions right?

Blog Entries

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that's good plastic explosive!

Blog Entries

I love how Season 12 is still considered "modern Simpsons."

I still think you're WAY too harsh on Secret War if it really is in your Bottom 10 of the classic era, but hey...opinions right?
    Oh believe me, there's another classic era episode I've been saving for later, I'm annoyed by it so much. Be very afraid. That review will probably be meaner than the Secret War.

Blog Entries

Seasons 11, 12, and a little of 13 are the only ones pre-season 21 I just get pissed by hearing the synopsis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    But of course.
    What about the Maggie Simpson Show?

inside of your skeleton, slowly feeding away at your insides,
    Blog Entries

After Sideshow Bob Month, This Little Wiggy would be a good episode to talk about.
    Season Rankings
    7 > 6 > 8 > 4 > 3 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 10 > 13 > 12 > 15 > 14 > 16 > 18 > 17 > 20 > 19 > 21 > 22 > 23

Motto

If you do drugs, you go to hell, before you die. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by InsomniaDealer View Post
    I trust Al Jean more than I trust my own mother. That bitch.

Blog Entries

Quick update.

I've unfortunately gotten a pretty annoying cold this week (sore throat), so it's affecting my motivation toward finishing the Great Louse Detective review. It's about halfway done, but I'm just too tired and yucky to work on it after a long day of work. I was hoping to have it done mid-week, but it'll probably be more like this weekend instead.

I've picked out the episodes for the following 3 reviews. I can't re-add a new poll to this thread and don't feel like making another thread in this subforum, so I've picked out some August stuff to do. August is going to be Controversial Episodes Month. These are the episodes in order.

1. A Star is Burns (controversial with the Simpson Staff)
    2. The Principal and the Pauper (controversial for the Simpsons canon)
    3. The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show (controversial with super-fans at the time)

Jims out.

Blog Entries

Oh God, you're doing A Star is Burns huh? IMO one of the funniest episodes of all time...

I love boobies! Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had never clicked on this thread until today. These are brilliant, Jims. Keep it up.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Blog Entries

Thanks @Financial Panther! I keep trying to pimp the series in my signature, but sadly, everyone sees right through my self-promotions...

(My cold subsided a little tonigh, so I've started working on The Great Louse Detective again, it's about 2/3rd done now.)

Blog Entries

Would you do a Futurama version in the future, @Jims?

These are awesome Jims, love them! Brilliant voice-overs and you bring up some great points! Fantastic ideas! Can't wait for more!

Blog Entries

Nice timing, @YellowFever! I just finished uploading the new episode.

Here's my review of The Great Louse Detective. On re-watch it was a little better than I remember it, but it's one of those episodes you have to be in the right mindset when watching, because it's extremely self-aware. A lot of the Jean Era episodes have this weird "OMG WE KNOW WE'RE WACKY", but it's really prevalent in this episode. The way it has to lampshade itself constantly is somewhat tiring, though. At least it's a pretty funny Jean outing.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
    Would you do a Futurama version in the future, @Jims?
    Eh, probably not... I thought about it, and they would be fun to do, but these Simpsons ones already take too much of my evening free time after work. Trying to carve out a niche in Simpsons reviews for now. Maybe if I get bored with The Simpsons later I might switch.

Haha! Brilliant timing! Just lightened up my day! Might go rewatch The Great Louse Detective now, it's an episode which my opinion fluctuates on pretty much every time I watch it! Great review and nice to hear your opinions on one of the more 'wacky' episodes!

Blog Entries

Always kinda liked the second and third acts.

Blog Entries

Nice Jims, only noticed the update now. I think Bob is great in this one. Kelsey's line reading on "and I'm the one IN PRISON!" along with the animation never fails to make me laugh. The dummy Homer is the best scene though.

Blog Entries

The dummy Homer is the best scene though.
    That's probably my favorite scene in the whole episode. I love Bob's "None of this seems strange to you, does it?" at the end of it.

New episode.

A Star is Burns.

Oh yeah.

Blog Entries

Fuck if you trash A Star is Burns I don't think I can forgive you. I'm scared to watch...

EDIT: Ok that was alright. A Star is Burns used to be my favorite episode of all time for a long time and I still think it is one of the funniest episodes of television I've ever seen.

Blog Entries

Fuck if you trash A Star is Burns I don't think I can forgive you. I'm scared to watch...

EDIT: Ok that was alright. A Star is Burns used to be my favorite episode of all time for a long time and I still think it is one of the funniest episodes of television I've ever seen.
    I'd never trash A Star is Burns! It's not really an episode I would put in my Top 50 or anything, but I think it's still a good episode. On re-watch just now I did find it to be a little hollow compared to other Classic Eras. They push the whole Homer/Marge angle in the episode, but I find that subplot a distraction more than anything. It's tough to care about whether Marge respects Homer's intelligence, considering how incredibly stupid he is 99% of the time. The film festival itself with the Burns subplot is obviously where the episode seems to shine. In fact, the entirety of Act 3 is almost perfect.

Maybe I'll do a "Classic Era Episodes I Hate" run after the controversial episodes, to piss people off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    Maybe I'll do a "Classic Era Episodes I Hate" run after the controversial episodes, to piss people off.

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i don't agree with you on the whole andy warhol thing..... but understand what you mean when applied to the episode, and in that sense i agree. it's a decent-ish episode, but i still think it's one of the worst of the classic era. not because of the whole crossover thing or anything, just because, well, it's kind of a cheap, lazy episode, with some hilarious gags but also some that are genuinely cringe worthy.

Thread Information