Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 Second Simpsons

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

that guy you forgot existed Judge Fudge's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought it was "Mayored to the Mob."

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great episode! Sometimes silence speaks more than words ever will.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I also hated how Co-Dependent's Day created the whole "Cosmic Wars" franchise, when Star Wars obviously exists within The Simpsons universe. Seemed to open the doors to future weak parodies like Mapple and Mixar and Blocko.

Also, this episode released around the same time as Episode II, yet the episode rips on Episode I's faults, which were largely fixed in Attack of the Clones. Felt like Simpsons was trying to pull a South Park, but failed. At least South Park would flat out say Star Wars and they would have released the episode a month or two after Phantom Menace released.

The sequel trilogy will only date this episode further.
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

As you can probably see already, by the thread title, the correct answer to the clue last week was Lisa's Substitute. The clue was in that montage of Simpsons episodes that Financial Panther was referring to... I did a screenshot of every 60 Second Simpsons episode so far (using the screenshots from the musical tribute), but I added in one for Lisa's Substitute at the beginning with the other Season 2 episode. I did forget to put in a screenshot for Homer vs Dignity, though.

So, here it is! Enjoy!

I've technically not chosen the next episode for review yet, but the clue(s) I've put in this video means I pretty much only have 3 choices.

Banned

Fantastic work Jims.

Blog Entries

To continue our "reviews that name-drop Citizen Kane" theme, I present to you a review of Rosebud. Enjoy!

I did a comparison to Who Shot Mr. Burns in the review, but it actually seems to have a lot in common with Last Exit to Springfield. They both feature:

• A series of negotiations between Mr. Burns and Homer.
    • Homer negotiating on behalf of his daughter's happiness.
    • Mr. Burns going through a tyrannical rage when he can't get his way (shutting down power, buying the TV stations and beer)
    • Lots of Burns/Smithers shipping.

In some respects, Rosebud is almost a more personalized version of the conflict in Last Exit to Springfield. In LETS, the negotiation was more political and financial in nature (basically $$$$$$$$), whereas the stakes for Burns and Maggie are clearly of a sentimental nature here. I would argue that Mr. Burns is more of the focal point of this episode, whereas LETS is more of a Homer-centric story. Which probably makes sense that Mr. Burns "wins" in the end of this episode.

My pick for #1 Simpsons episode. Great review.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Solid review as usual, but in my opinion an overrated episode.

Blog Entries

Quick update. No review this week, as I took last week off from writing.

It was partly to take a week off from working them, but also because I'm fighting with the Homer Badman script.

solid review as usual this week @Jims. Keep em coming

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
    solid review as usual this week @Jims. Keep em coming
    Haha, thanks.

I spent another night fighting with the script and I can't get a review to work for Homer Badman that I like. Every attempt I make sounds too whiny and far more negative than what it really deserves, and I cannot figure out a way to balance it and still talk about what I want to talk about. So I've picked an episode that jumps out at me more.

I might give it another go in the future.

Blog Entries

yeah because homer badman is a perfect episode and doesn't deserve your forced griping
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    yeah because homer badman is a perfect episode and doesn't deserve your forced griping
    Haha. I actually gave it the old college try, though, I promise.

The conclusion I came too was that, even though I like the episode as a whole, I dislike how negative the tone is. And I already did a similar review of why I don't like The City of New York vs Homer Simpson for the same reason, so doing this review would be repetitive. It was kind of an interesting revelation about myself when I realized it, though... I kind of want to go through my list of disliked episodes and see if "negative tone is one of my pet peeves in evaluating stuff.

Blog Entries

Yes. I've figured it out. The angle for my next review.

And Maggie Makes Three, bitches.

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can't wait!

Blog Entries

Hooray! It's done! It's been a ridiculously busy week so I don't have much else to say other than "Enjoy!"

You should do 'My Sister My Sitter' next, @Jims.

Blog Entries

Good idea, @CousinMerl. There's an aspect of that episode I haven't talked about on this series, so I'll see if I can write up something that works for it.

In the meantime, I've been spending waaaaaaaay too much time trying to put together a special for the recent Futurama premiere. I know this is a Simpsons subforum, but I may as well post it here with my other videos. Here's my Top 10 Futurama Episodes.

Special thanks to @Ryan for giving me feedback on the first draft of this thing. Ironically, now I feel like I'm rushing the transitions, but I've spent so long on it, I don't feel like going back and fixing it.

Enjoy!

A source of fun Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pfft. I'm not watching that.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Blog Entries

good feedback

Blog Entries

Really good review. I agree with you on almost every episode on that list except for Amazon Women which I would have replaced with Parasite Lost.
    But all 9 other episodes would have to be in my top 10 as well, maybe not in that exact order but they would be there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dangeresque Too View Post
    Really good review. I agree with you on almost every episode on that list except for Amazon Women which I would have replaced with Parasite Lost.
    But all 9 other episodes would have to be in my top 10 as well, maybe not in that exact order but they would be there.
    Thanks! Also "bah" to grouchy @Financial Panther.

Funnily enough, the episode that got bumped from the list was indeed Parasites Lost, as it was really close between that and Roswell That Ends Well. I think Roswell won out because I didn't want angry YouTube comments.

I had a real difficult time deciding between #1 and #2. They're almost like, "What are you in the mood for" kind of episodes, in terms of preference.

Blog Entries

I haven't watched Luck of the Fryish in years. I just watched The Devils Hand a few minutes ago on netflix.
    And I need to watch The Sting again, I haven't watched in a few years as well.

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Pfft. I'm not watching that.
    Not a fan of Futurama, eh?

a whiz with cold drinks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

about 512 seconds too long
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

Blog Entries

An EPISODE about Futurama?!

Sir, you have just spoilt me.

Blog Entries

honestly, the list is way too bland imo. it has pretty much all of the episodes fans consider to be the best (all of them) as well as reincarnation, which i wasn't a fan of apart from some of the black and white cartoon and while these aren't bad things... the list is just too predictable.

It's a good list; missing some of my favorites but overall rather favorable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    honestly, the list is way too bland imo. it has pretty much all of the episodes fans consider to be the best (all of them) as well as reincarnation, which i wasn't a fan of apart from some of the black and white cartoon and while these aren't bad things... the list is just too predictable.
    to be fair, futurama is a show without that many episodes to choose from (111, not including S7B and the movies) and with an extremely uneven track history. it's not my list, but I'd be pretty hard pressed to find ten other episodes that could match up against these.

Blog Entries

111 is more than a few episodes, though I agree the show does have a fairly uneven track record.

Thread Information