Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 Second Simpsons

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Awesome Jims! I`ve always loved this episode back in my more `casual`fan days and was shocked to find out out it was from season 15. Felt like a good one from 9 or 10.
    Ive always adored that subplot as well, especially the Tanzarian joke at the end.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

HA! There ya go @Jims good job! You should listen to my suggestions more often!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
    Awesome Jims! I`ve always loved this episode back in my more `casual`fan days and was shocked to find out out it was from season 15. Felt like a good one from 9 or 10.
    Ive always adored that subplot as well, especially the Tanzarian joke at the end.
    Me too. I always really liked this one, even from the first airing.

I didn't have time to talk about this in more detail, but what really works about "I D'ohbot" is how modern it feels. It really does feel like a snapshot of that point in pop culture.

The Simpsons are all about being timeless and stuff (compare this to "Saturdays of Thunder" for example), but after 15 seasons, it's time for them to branch out and be more progressive. There isn't anything inherently wrong with taking a more modern concept like Battlebots and building a Homer/Bart relationship story around it. As long as the point of the episode is the relationship part, it should work. Where The Simpsons get in trouble is when they do empty Facebook parodies and stuff, where the whole point is to lampoon Facebook. The jokes become stale and outdated almost immediately (even upon airing), so if there's no real story to back it up, the episode becomes pointless. And that's what "I D'ohbot" does well.

The Battlebots is the setting of the story, not the story itself.

And, as mentioned in the video, this is one of the few stories where Homer pain gags actually make sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Professorfrink View Post
    Also: @Jims is that your voice on the video or someone else voice?
    Unfortunately, mine.

(I hate my voice.)

a whiz with cold drinks Frightenin' Mate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You should get Pierce Brosnan to do the voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

Great review. Liked what you did at the end with Snowball II.

R.I.P. Futurama 1999-2013 Professorfrink's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    Unfortunately, mine.

(I hate my voice.)
    I sounds exactly like mine

Blog Entries

Of, well now I feel better...

R.I.P. Futurama 1999-2013 Professorfrink's Avatar
    Blog Entries

glad I could help

Great video, Jims

The animation is really good in this episode, not Macmullan's best but pretty eye-catching.

And thinking about it, I noticed how Lauren has trouble with the perspective in the house and scaling (mostly in some tricky shot composition)

In other episodes of hers:

Blog Entries

Ohdeargawd that was scary. I had 8 seconds left to do on my project and suddenly the file crashes today when I opened it. Thank gawd I have some familiarity with reading programming code, or I probably would have never been able to figure out how to fix it. The problem was actually really easy to identify once I found the line in the code. I've recovered the file, so I should have it done later today.

Next episode is When Flanders Failed, by the way.

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can't wait to hear your thoughts. I consider it the weakest of Season 3 now, but I used to love it.

Blog Entries

Ugh, this video was nothing but trouble to produce. Aside from the delays in production and then file corruption, now YouTube is having problems getting the correct resolution to upload for .wmv files. So I saved it as a mpeg-4 instead.

It's kind of a shame it became such a pain in the ass, because I like how the episode turned out. It's like The Simpsons teaching Small Business 101.

Enjoy!

Blog Entries

I love your voice.
    And this episode was great.
    I need to watch this simpsons episode again.

Blog Entries

Yay new episode. Good point about the self-promotion, that's always bugged me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke of Insomnia View Post
    I love your voice.
    Liar! Not even my mom likes my voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Diversity Pumpkin View Post
    Yay new episode. Good point about the self-promotion, that's always bugged me.
    When I went into this review, I was going to do it as a defense of Homer... Arguing that Homer's not really being more malicious toward Flanders than he usually did (since he hates him and all). The fact that he's not falling over himself to promote the Leftorium (something Flanders should be doing) doesn't bother me. But after watching it, and remembering the way he taunted Ned with that money, that viewpoint seemed really hard to defend.

The fact that there really were that many left-handed people out there, ready to buy, really makes me wonder what the hell Flanders was doing all that time. Flanders is ready to go down with his business, and all Homer has to do is make a couple phone calls.

Blog Entries

HA! I liked your time spent on Bart's sub-plot the best because I remember watching this episode with my dad as a kid and that was what we laughed at the most, him getting Lisa with the touch of death.

Coincidentally I watched Dead Putting Society this week with right handed Bart and Ned!

Blog Entries

Well, I've been saving an episode to do for this show (kind of like how I saved The City of NY review), and I'm finally going to tackle that one next. I won't reveal which one, but I'll just give these clues: 1) It's a modern episode, 2) I hate it, and 3) it's going to be similar to my Poochie review.

Man, I can't wait to rant about this episode. It makes me SO ANGRY.

I'm pretty sure I've ranted about it to @Ryan over AIM already, so he probably should know what I'm referring to, but don't spoil it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    HA! I liked your time spent on Bart's sub-plot the best because I remember watching this episode with my dad as a kid and that was what we laughed at the most, him getting Lisa with the touch of death.
    Yeah, it's kind of a shame it wasn't my focus for this and I kind of had to laugh it off to the side. I think the Bart B-plot is a decent enough little story with a fairly predictable payoff, though. The whole "touch of death" thing is definitely the best thing about it.

Blog Entries

I probably won't watch your next one unless it's one of those modern ones I hate too, I get depressed enough on this place as it is....

My favourite moment is...
    Hmm, too far

I still don't have a problem with Homer's characterization at this point. After 2 and a half seasons of build up and Ned always having it better than Homer, Homer finally gets to see Ned get the short end and I give him a pass on indulging in it for awhile. In the end he does do the right thing (but as you said it was something Ned should have done himself in the first place) and gets Ned's store back on it's feet.
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've ranted about it to @Ryan over AIM already, so he probably should know what I'm referring to, but don't spoil it.
    Finally! You're finally doing "Attack of the Killer App"! Man I've been waiting forever--

--wait, you mean Simpsons? Ohhh... I know that one then.

Great episode, especially when pointing out that both Ned and Homer share equal blame. Flanders is a terrible businessman, whereas Homer is a terrible man (period)... the Wonderful Life ending feels earned because both seem to learn a lesson going out of it.

More interesting is the Bart plot, which if I recall correctly seemed to be one of those subplots tossed in there back when Bartmania was just fading (after all, the script was probably written about a year prior)... no real point, just Bart doing something funny which they thought the public wanted but tastes probably changed by the time the ep debuted.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

a whiz with cold drinks Frightenin' Mate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@Jims, you should do a 60 Second Simpsons on Two Bad Neighbors. It's pretty controversial, and there's a lot of stuff to say about it. (I was gonna post this in the Worst Classics thread, but I figured this would be a better place to put it)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 View Post
    @Jims, you should do a 60 Second Simpsons on Two Bad Neighbors. It's pretty controversial, and there's a lot of stuff to say about it. (I was gonna post this in the Worst Classics thread, but I figured this would be a better place to put it)
    The weird thing about Two Bad Neighbors (at least for me) is that I'm kind of middle of the road on it. I think it's a cool experiment and all, but the episode doesn't do too much for me. It's also, unfortunately, one of those episodes that Oakley & Weinstein really explained in full in the audio commentary, so I'm not sure what else a fan like me can bring to the episode.

Speaking of which, new video!

there are no words

Blog Entries

I always laughed at the irony of the Simpsons calling out Star Wars, however this was just a tad prior to the series going into full 100% mummification. S15 was around the last point it seemed acceptable to have this series still around, so I guess it is a future irony.

The Homer/Marge DUI stuff... well, I know better than to argue against that with you Jims. Maybe we should let another person take the bait.

That's our... @Jims? That can't be right?

direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hahaha this is the best one

Blog Entries

I hate this episode as well. But I was expecting a little...reasoning.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Blog Entries

After doing the "Just Stamp the Ticket" reference in my I D'ohbot review, and then ending up doing When Flanders Failed next, I've decided to start giving little clues in my videos as to what the next review will be. The clue I dropped in this particular video is pretty obvious if you're looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    I hate this episode as well. But I was expecting a little...reasoning.
    But that's the point. I tried to write out an entire regular 60 Second Simpsons script for this episode. I wrote it out at least two or three times. It was full of angry, derisive accusations of, "How dare you call out Star Wars, and then do the Homer/Marge DUI story." How. Dare. You!

But then I re-thought the script and realized something.

This episode doesn't deserve 60 seconds.

Revenge Of The Sith was a sharp increase in quality though, I don't see that happening with the Simpsons. Terrible episode by the way (not yours @Jims, OFF I mean)

Thread Information