View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 "Life don't seem so hard no more."

6 3.31%
  • 4/5 "Who'd have thought such a little episode could make me feel so big?"

10 5.52%
  • 3/5 "Yeah, I rob now."

32 17.68%
  • 2/5 "Oh I've seen enough, burn this episode!"

43 23.76%
  • 1/5 "If I ever see this episode again I'll pull out my eyeballs with a corkscrew! Etc..."

90 49.72%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Moe Goes From Rags to Riches" (PABF05)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

I wonder when D'ohmer is going to jump in and defend this episode.

Junior Camper HomerJaySimpson11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Krikt View Post
    Surprisingly, you did it the wrong way around. The rag scenes were a bunch of almost entirely unrelated things happening but they're far above another strained relationship side-story, especially with non-existent development.
    Oh really, damn I might re watch. Well The Simpsons hasn't had any character development in years imo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darren.Erg View Post
    I wonder when D'ohmer is going to jump in and defend this episode.
    I don't know, lisa did have a few to many lines in this for d'ohmers tastes.

Blog Entries

guys, even i, joe miller, a pretty strong defender for the show, can't defend this mess.

it had a dumb plot and the execution was even worse. i seriously don't think anyone on the show cares about it anymore. if they do, they don't show it. at all.

it seems they're honestly trying to just keep outdoing themselves with terrible-after-terrible episodes. it's mesmerizing

Blog Entries

I was enjoying it and thinking "This episodes looking good"...then the bar rag started talking.
    How to remaster

I was enjoying it and thinking "This episodes looking good"... then the couch gag started.

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But the couch gag was the only remotely good thing of the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuio View Post
    Even that was recycled from a better HD era episode.

Anyone know why they cut out Lisa's sound when she gets hit by the football?
    It's rather curious that they changed it now.

Blog Entries

I liked Homer's opening line and the Lionel Richie stuff

Banned

1 line and a celebrity used in the background who didn't have any lines was the highlight of the episode for you...In that case I assume you also rated this 1/5 my friend?

Blog Entries

The couch gag's are failures nowadays. They used to be 4-10 seconds, now they're 4 to 10 MINUTES.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys the Groovy Mule View Post
    yeah this kinda sucked ass. Not Season 22 levels of sucking ass, but still bad
    I happen to like season 22 miles better than this season so far. To each his own, I guess.

Blog Entries

Wow this was bad.I have to admit I did laugh once throughout the whole thing, at Cheif Wiggum asking the felons to throw him his housekeys.But yeah, terrible episode,a new low for The Simpsons.1/5

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    The couch gag's are failures nowadays. They used to be 4-10 seconds, now they're 4 to 10 MINUTES.
    If it's a good idea, and if it's executed well, I don't care if it lasts ten seconds or one minute. This couch gag was quite nicely done, which contrasts with the rest of the episode.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Gums Murphy View Post
    1 line and a celebrity used in the background who didn't have any lines was the highlight of the episode for you...In that case I assume you also rated this 1/5 my friend?
    You put too much value in scale, Murphy.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If it's a good idea, and if it's executed well, I don't care if it lasts ten seconds or one minute.
    I do. Long couch gags should be the exception, not the rule. This one in particular is well executed for what it is, several referentes at different famous sitcoms, but I don't find the idea so amusing to make it into a long couch gag. I find it irritating when episodes are bad or short and the couch gag is really long.

There are a couple of long couch gags I've found brilliant and those are the evolution and the universe ones, and I kinda enjoy that one with the couches attacking the townspeople. I also liked the ones by John K. and Banksy...Those are a good number of them, but there are still about six more that have been that long in the recent seasons. That's really too much. It's not only that it's infuriating that they put more effort in this than in the actual episodes. It's also that, even forgetting about that, the couch gag being especially long is a joke that works better when it's a surprise. That was the effect with the circus couch gag in the early seasons. First time I watched it I never thought they were using it cause the episode was short. I thought it was just a gag about doing it more and more complicated for once, and it worked on that level to me. Now, except for those that are really, really great, I start to think "oh no, here it's another neverending couch gag"...

I mean, why all the episodes are too short? And why can't they think of something interesting to put into the actual episode?...especially those that have a poor resolution.
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 02-03-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

They should go back to the simple couch gags, like a clone family on the couch or they turn into zombies... not a whole two minutes of bland crap.

This was so bad it woke me from my NHC hibernation. What the f#@%?

I thought the season opener was alright, even without a plot, but I haven't been watching since. Apparently this new production code is like a crusade against all things good in the world? Based on one episode, I can agree with that. The comedic timing has never been worse; I can only tell when there's a joke by the awkward pause that follows. I thought Mike Scully would be the nadir for class, but some of these jokes (foot fungus seasoning, everyone choking on everything) dig further than Scully ever had the initiative to. And is there really any point in critiquing plots anymore? The writers have apparently adopted Family Guy's manatee system, but are less inclined to mix in pop culture references. The episode jumped from era to era like some storybook for children with no reading comprehension, chucking in obvious references to keep the adults' eyes rolling.

If the writers are too incompetent to handle a main plot, there really is no point in adding a subplot, but they always do. This one had the potential for emotional resonance, but Tim Long doesn't know what that is, so he just threw in the Bart/Milhouse equivalent of a marriage crisis. Nothing is added to the relationship, nothing solved. No point. Bart gets punched and it isn't funny. Whatever.

F/5.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    I'm just going to rate them all 1/5 in my signature.
    Just did this, but put 0's in instead.

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dave9199 View Post
    Didn't anybody realize the dance sequence was from Lionel Richie's All Night Long and Dancing On The Ceiling? That's why Richie was there.
    I didn't think it was necessary to point that out, honestly, but now that you bring it up...

There was no reason for this sequence other than stooping to Family Guy-styled pop culture fuckery. While pop culture references are thinly veiled in The Simpsons universe, (they did poke fun at the way most of Rodney Dangerfield's movies used to end in the episode "Burns, Baby Burns,") I used to think that it was below The Simpsons to do it so blatantly and for no reason at all. Apparently, there's nothing the writers won't do now.

Can anybody think of an instance where this type of extended pop culture reference has been made without some type of prompting in the series? Sure, Homer has sang a few commercial jingles... but the characters are always very aware that Homer is simply reminiscing about a favorite jingle. (TV is very important to Homer, so he should remember things from his childhood TV viewing fondly.)

I'm racking my brain, and I can't remember one instance where it was just "For no reason, here's something retro and nostalgic from pop culture... and we're all doing it on cue! How zany!"
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

Blog Entries

Aside from how terribly included and blatant as it was, I thought the dance scene was nice. I really my like blatant references.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J Dog View Post
    Also, with the paycuts, everyone will most likely be working on half speed, and if this is what we get from them with full intent... I am not looking forward to whatever comes our way.
    I guess the "Thousand monkeys at a Thousand Typewriters" scenario isn't too far off.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

'Another Simpsons Clip Show' only has one 5/5 rating and a total percentage of 1.22%, only 0.21% less than this abomination. Altho to be fair 'Another Simpsons Clip Show' does have eight 4/5 ratings so therefore a total percentage of 10.98% for 4/5 and 5/5 ratings, whereas 'Moe Goes From Rags to Riches' doesn't have any 4/5 ratings so a total of 1.43% for 4/5 and 5/5 ratings...must be lower than every single other episode of the show, even 'The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed' *shudders*.
    According to this thread, TGSED has an average of 1.780 rating.

Following that thread's methods, MGFRTF has a 1.948 rating (without rounding), so actually it just misses TGSED.
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

Blog Entries

Damn right! Though when I say the Lionel Richie stuff, I didn't mean his background appearance, I meant the use of "All night long" and Homer dancing on the ceiling.

Yknow, I've lurked here for a long time and part of the reason I finally set up an account was to post on the 500th episode (just to say that I was one of the first people to review the meaningless milestone) and the other part... was because I needed to trash this episode.

"Moe Goes From Rags to Riches" is not just the worst Simpsons episode, its probably the worst single episode of any show I've seen in years. Its just... I can't even put into words just how bad it is. It just displays a complete lack of knowledge on how a story works. Your average episode of a toddler's cartoon shows a better understanding of story structure. I mean, it was just insulting to the audience's intelligence.

I can only imagine that this episode was the byproduct of a fire in the script storage warehouse. The producers were all smoking their cigars in the script warehouse, talking about how great the current season is, when suddenly a wayward spark from a cigar sent the place up in flames. After the fire died down, all that could be salvaged from the various scripts were a few random excerpts; Some came from shitty Treehouse of Horror sketches, some came from abandoned trilogy episodes, and some came from regular episodes that were filed away for being too dull. "But how could we possibly string all these completely subpar, unrelated scenes together? They don't fit together in the slightest!" they wondered as they wiped their faces off with a dirty rag. Then, brilliance struck them, "Lets just make the rag do all the dirty work!"
    They cheered and went to work, stringing together their mishmash of orphaned comedy set-pieces, assured in the fact that they could do no wrong. At last the script was finished, but right before they passed it on to the actors and animators, a cry went out, "WAIT! We forgot to connect the Bart and Milhouse story to the plot!". The production team exchanged glances... "Eh", they shrugged, "Who gives a shit".

Seriously though, I honestly do believe that this episode was crafted together from leftover ideas that weren't good enough to make it into other episodes. I could go on and on listing the episode's faults, but I think everyone else has done a good enough job skewering this turd.
    Needless to say, I would give this episode a 0 on 10, but for the sake of the poll its a 1/5.

It had some few good moments but this episode in general SUCKED.It was ridicolous.I bet the writers were on dope and were saying "They want a Classic Episode We're gonna give them a Classic Episode allright hahaha*maniac laughter* how about an Episode with a Talking Rag.Oh That will work they will LOVE it".NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!
    1/5 Fucking Waste of Time!

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lagozzino View Post
    structure. I mean, it was just insulting to the audience's intelligence.

I can only imagine that this episode was the byproduct of a fire in the script storage warehouse.
    This terrible episode was loosely based on some foreign flick where an intimate object comes to life and narrates its life story so the writers went for the angle of "we parodied something REALLY obscure, so that makes us smart!". Well, that's neither here nor there since this was a bad episode and you shouldn't have to see the original movie to understand the humor.

Seriously we need Swartzvelder(Did i write that right?) back.Only he can save this show in this Pathetic State

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThankYouComeAgain View Post
    Seriously we need Swartzvelder(Did i write that right?) back.Only he can save this show in this Pathetic State
    Swartzwelder is hardly the god-like figure he is made out to be. I will admit he has written some hilarious episodes, and that he can be a great comedy writer. But his scripts, absurd as they can be, need to be handled right. When handled right, you could get something like "Rosebud". When not, you could get something like "Kill the Alligator and Run". Whilst I'm sure he'd inject some sorely needed humour in to the show, I'm not confident the current staff would manage his scripts well.

I do like Swartzwelder but he's hardly a saviour.

...but it would be interesting to have him ont he show again.

Thread Information