Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rate and Review: Season Two

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Without any comments, my own rating list (out of 100)
    «Bart Gets an «F»» 83 (B+)
    «Simpson and Delilah» 74 (B-)
    «Treehouse of Horror» 87.33 (B+)
    «Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish» 91 (A-)
    «Dancin’ Homer» 86 (B+)
    «Dead Putting Society» 91 (A-)
    «Bart vs. Thanksgiving» 99 (A+) (season high)
    «Bart the Daredevil» 89 (B+)
    «Itchy & Scratchy & Marge» 69 (C+) (season low)
    «Bart Gets Hit by a Car» 70 (B-)
    «One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish» 88 (B+)
    «The Way We Was» 92 (A-)
    «Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment» 90 (A-)
    «Principal Charming» 85 (B+)
    «Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?» 83 (B+)
    «Bart’s Dog Gets an «F»» 93 (A)
    «Old Money» 93 (A)
    «Brush with Greatness» 79 (B)
    «Lisa’s Substitute» 92 (A-)
    «The War of the Simpsons» 77 (B-)
    «Three Men and a Comic Book» 80 (B)
    «Blood Feud» 85 (B+)

Average score 85.288 (B+)
    Good to bad ratio (95%/5%) (all episodes are very decent, though)
    Maximum planty of good episodes 13
    Last edited by The B; 06-18-2020 at 04:11 AM.
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 24/04/20):
    1. Moaning Lisa/Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart vs. Thanksgiving/Simpson and Delilah 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/Homer Alone 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Marge in Chains 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Bart’s Inner Child 6. Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part I)/A Star Is Burns 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Treehouse of Horror VI 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Bart Star 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Simpsons Bible Stories 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Goo Goo Gai Pan/A Star Is Torn 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. 24 Minutes/Stop, Or My Dog Will Shoot! 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Blue and the Gray/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Gorgeous Grampa 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture 31. TBA/TBA
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    2 > 1 > 3 > 7 > 6 > 4 > 8 > 5 > 9 > 27 > 21 > 20 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 12 > 15 > 10 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 14 > 19 > 28 > 16 > 30 > 23 > 11 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

ANALYSIS

The pinnacle of Bart Simpson
    It was the greatest year for Bart. He enjoyed a steady characterization, being the priority of the writers, who delivered some notable episodes about the boy, exploring exhaustively his performance at school, his relationships with his family, his aspirations, his friendship, his pleasures, his personality. I seriously miss this Bart Simpson.

More development for Homer, Marge, and Lisa
    Is Homer your favorite character? Just watch One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish. Is it Marge? You can enjoy Itchy & Scratchy & Marge or Brush with Greatness. Is it Lisa? Lisa's Substitute is surely going to be one of your all-time favorites. This season is surprisingly well-balanced.

Mr. Burns consolidated as the villain
    There are four episodes out of 22 were Mr. Burns ruins the happiness of The Simpsons and many others where he is portrayed as an awful person. It's a pleasure.

Treehouse of Horror
    It's not only a masterpiece. It is the basis of the long-running tradition on TV. It defined the three-mini-stories structure, styles, habits, and it presented Kang and Kodos.

Homer and Marge have a background story
    I tend to dedicate this analysis to trendings more to talk about single episodes (except for Treehouse of Horror). The Way We Was also deserves a mention. The basis of Homer and Marge's relationship –as well as the iconic song that identifies them– is a merit of this episode

Expansion: new characters, deeper dynamics, fresh ideas...
    Legendary characters, like Doctor Hibbert, Mona Simpson, Comic Book Guy, among many others debuted in the second season. We discovered how works unusual pairs of characters, like Bart and Martin, Homer and Barney, Smithers and Burns. They entrenched the state the family lives, the cartoon the kids watch... If season one created the universe, season two perfected it.

Satires of everything
    Especially polished by John Swartzwelder. One of the most brilliant political satire in Two Cars in Every Garage. An amazing social criticism against complainers about everything that is not of their likeness in Itchy & Scratchy & Marge. Focus on judgments in Bart Gets Hit By a Car. Other writers worked in homosexuality, piracy, art's expression...

Tributes to Cinema, literature and other TV shows
    The Raven, The Twilight Zone, Citizen Kang, Psycho, Terminator, and a huge list of cultural references that clarified the style of the show.

One-time characters
    Some of the most memorable one-time characters get a place here: Karl, Beatrice Simmons, Professor Lombardo, Mr. Bergstrom. Others were conceived as one-time characters but they were so successful that they had to come back, such as Herb Powell or Artie Ziff. They did a fantastic job there.

Some favorable remains from season one.
    The familiar and ordinary beginnings, the deep emotions, frequent realism were signs of the specialty of this show, perpetuated by this seasons

Phil Hartman
    Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure are such two iconic characters of the first decade of the show. This incorporation means a lot of hilarious scenes in the upcoming seasons.

Animation
    As Captain Wacky pointed out above me, it was probably the hilltop of animation. Five (talented) people were enough to break the standards. Archer, Kirkland, Reardon, Silverman, and Moore. Thank you.

Merchandising, ratings, videogames, music, awards
    It would not have any sense to give an item for each one. It was the greatest moment of the show outside the quality itself. They released an album, toys, games, and topping it all off, the registered the most-watched episode of all-time in Bart Gets an 'F'. Good times. The season even gets an Emmy with a wrong episode!

Focus on secondary characters
    I always am in favor of secondary character developments. But this season got weaken when tried it. Ned Flanders in Dead Putting Society, Skinner, Patty, and Selman in Principal Charming, Santa's Little Helper in Bart's Dog Gets an 'F', and Grampa Simpson in Old Money: all forgettable episodes at best.

Some unfavorable remains from season one
    The melodrama appeared too often. Entire episodes were victims of dull concepts. And there are lots of dumb scenes like "You're Beautiful for Me" in Simpson and Delilah.

Homer Simpson and the marriage
    Maybe it was another epoch. But I found their relationship too much oppressive for moments. Marge barely can express herself when they discuss a situation that affects the entire family. Also, this season adds two episodes to the marriage crisis record.

Unrealism
    Am I seriously complaining about this? Well, maybe I just needed something negative to remark. The fall from the Springfield Gorge of Homer, the appearance of the Heaven and the Devil, the ghost of a deceased character appearing, General Sherman's myth becoming real... Sometimes it was well worth, but it was the least agreeable trending of the season, especially in comparison with the first one.

FINAL RANKING

22. Bart's Dog Gets an 'F'
    21. Dancin' Homer
    20. The War of the Simpson
    19. Homer vs. Lisa and the Eighth Commandment
    18. Principal Charming
    17. Dead Putting Society
    16. Simpson and Delilah
    15. Old Money
    14. Blood Feud
    13. Bart Gets Hit By a Car
    12. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
    11. Bart the Daredevil
    10. Brush with Greatness
    9. Bart Gets an 'F'
    8. Three Men and a Comic Book
    7. Bart vs. Thanksgiving
    6. Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish
    5. The Way We Was
    4. Lisa's Substitute
    3. Treehouse of Horror
    2. Itchy & Scratchy & Marge
    1. One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 06-13-2020 at 07:19 AM.
    Last retrospective: Homer Defined (S03E05)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of Rick and Morty (completed!)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of BoJack Horseman (last episode: Later)

My brain... OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry, but your criticisms don't make much sense. The appearance of Heaven and Hell was only part of Bart's coma-induced dream and Bea showing up as a ghost is clearly just in Abe's imagination. As for General Sherman's myth coming true... sure that's a stretch, but still nothing compared to season 4 and 5 where the wackiness became a major part of the show. It feels like you're being extra harsh just because it's the show's early stages.

And what's dumb about Marge singing "You're So Beautiful To Me" to her husband? That warms my heart every time, I love how she's trying to lift Homer's spirits up after he's lost all confidence.

2 marriage crisis stories in one year isn't that much, and they do a good job with the ones that are there. I disagree with your accessment that Marge isn't outspoken enough, if anything she's very stern and vocal in War Of The Simpsons. Homer's the one who's afraid to face up to her and goes behind her back when he disobeys orders not to go fishing, which means he doesn't know how to handle conflict.

Dead Putting Society is a masterpiece. One of the best ones in the season in terms of character development, as this one punches up the rivalry between Homer and Ned, especially the jealousy aspect, but also shows that Ned isn't mild-mannered and cleancut all the time, he can get annoyed if someone provokes him too much. I think this is a pretty important part of his character to establish, especially seeing as it would play a much bigger role in Hurricane Neddy.

Maybe I'm only pointing all this out because this is my favorite season, but I just scratched my head at some of these comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

An amazing season. Probabaly the most centered season of them all. The only two weaker episodes are Bart's Dog Gets an F and Dancin' Homer. But they're not terrible episodes either.
    And in my opinion it is with Bart gets an F that the Golden era starts. Season 1 is part of the Classic era but not the Golden era. They're different concepts for me.

This Golden era goes from Bart gets an F to Homer's Enemy in my book. Although it could also end with Summer of 4ft2 if I'm being too hypercritical.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    The appearance of Heaven and Hell was only part of Bart's coma-induced dream and Bea showing up as a ghost is clearly just in Abe's imagination. As for General Sherman's myth coming true... sure that's a stretch, but still nothing compared to season 4 and 5 where the wackiness became a major part of the show. It feels like you're being extra harsh just because it's the show's early stages.
    When I write these analysis, I try to identify tendencies. I also try to write them without taking into account what happened after the season in question. Season one never had an unrealistic scene like those, season two did it often – even if they are inside dreams or imaginations. I remarked it negatively because I don't encourage that style in The Simpsons. The War of the Simpsons did the wacky concept an essential part of the plot, and it didn't work for me. The unrealism was not a big problem here and I know this was potentiated throughout the years. But if I could modify those, I'd do it. It's not being harsh. It's just something I personally don't like.

And what's dumb about Marge singing "You're So Beautiful To Me" to her husband? That warms my heart every time, I love how she's trying to lift Homer's spirits up after he's lost all confidence.
    I was not referring to the ending. That's fine for me. My comment was about the original time we hear it, when Karl sends a singer at The Simpsons home. The point of the scene was that Karl saved Homer for the uncomfortable situation of forgetting the anniversary. The way to execute it was forty seconds of a guy singing "You're beautiful for me". It was just an example, though. Another one is Bleeding Gums Murphy performing the anthem in Dancin' Homer (it stretched for one-minute!).

2 marriage crisis stories in one year isn't that much, and they do a good job with the ones that are there.
    I don't agree that they were good episodes overall. The first crisis was pointless and the second one portrayed Homer awfully. Anyhow, my comment was about how trouble their marriage could be.

I disagree with your accessment that Marge isn't outspoken enough, if anything she's very stern and vocal in War Of The Simpsons. Homer's the one who's afraid to face up to her and goes behind her back when he disobeys orders not to go fishing, which means he doesn't know how to handle conflict.
    Yeah, when it was about their intimate relationship as a couple, maybe Marge has authority. But when the family has a problem or a threat coming up, Marge does not participate. The biggest example is when they discuss the cable connection and Homer closes the dialogue "putting the foot on the floor".

Dead Putting Society is a masterpiece. One of the best ones in the season in terms of character development, as this one punches up the rivalry between Homer and Ned, especially the jealousy aspect, but also shows that Ned isn't mild-mannered and cleancut all the time, he can get annoyed if someone provokes him too much. I think this is a pretty important part of his character to establish, especially seeing as it would play a much bigger role in Hurricane Neddy.
    Dead Putting Society exploited the differences between Homer and Ned, but that plotline was established in the very first episode of the show (including Homer feeling jealous of his neighbor). I have written a review of this one (I don't recommend you to read it, my English was terrible when I wrote it). If I downgraded it to a 3/5 is because of the lame resolution of the golf tournament.

Maybe I'm only pointing all this out because this is my favorite season, but I just scratched my head at some of these comments.
    It's probably my favorite outside what I consider the greatest years of the show (season 6 to 8). I love this season too!

Good write-up on the second season (which I think is great), @Szyslak100. I don't fully agree about several of the episode rankings (for instance 'The War Of The Simpsons', 'Homer Vs. Lisa And The Eighth Commandment', 'Principal Charming', 'Simpson And Delilah' & ''Blood Feud' I think are solid, while I find 'Bart Gets Hit By A Car' one of the weaker ones) or your dislike of the slightly increasing unrealism/outlandish stuff (like those heaven & hell fantasies and the Springfield Gorge fall), but yeah, those are your personal preferences and that is fine. I also like how you structure the posts with the color coding.

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    Yeah, when it was about their intimate relationship as a couple, maybe Marge has authority. But when the family has a problem or a threat coming up, Marge does not participate. The biggest example is when they discuss the cable connection and Homer closes the dialogue "putting the foot on the floor".
    I have to agree that Marge wasn't as outspoken and defensive as she later became. The main one for me this season was her behavior after the climax of 'Two Cars In Every Garage' where she didn't try to defend Homer from Mr. Burns and admit that it was her idea to ruin the old man's campaign, instead she just quietly hid behind her husband without saying a word, endangering the family's future with how Burns so easily could ruin them, as hinted to when he promised to make Homer's dreams go unfulfilled (I even did a topic for that some time ago).

But then again, she clearly had her outspoken moments (such as in 'Brush With Greatness' where she stood up against Burns), so I still blame her timid and quiet moments as this being so early in the show's history and they hadn't worked out every character perfectly just yet, which led so some inconsistencies so it is something I can forgive. All shows have their missteps early on.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 05-29-2020 at 04:33 AM.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Thread Information