Thread: Vidya Games Thread: Nintendo Edition

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stove View Post
    haha I just meant Smash has been the highlight of both Nintendo consoles I own!

Quote Originally Posted by The Spruce Moose View Post
    haha I just meant Smash has been the highlight of both Nintendo consoles I own!
    Fair enough! Smash Bros has definitely been a top 5 Wii U title for me, and for 3DS too. The only 3DS games I've played nearly as much are the Zelda games. I feel like I got bored with the Wii U one a little more quickly, maybe because it's not quite as easy to pick up and play as the 3DS. I dunno. Still love them both a lot though.

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

You guys need to make me more Mario Maker levels to play. It's significantly more satisfying to play levels made by people you know.

Blog Entries

I literally haven't made a level in months despite reaching 50 stars for the ones I have

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

is this game worth buying to just play other people's levels? like, that's what seems so fun to me. the challenge and absurdness of other people's levels. i bought trials fusion just to play the wacky user-created content and i loved that but this is more expensive and has a big focus on creating stuff so i'm unsure!
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe its just a bunch of stuff that happened."
    - The Simpsons

I'm kind of banking on just going through others levels to keep it alive because I have no drive to make my own and no one talks about this game anymore :x
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

The game kind of got old for me, I'm sorry to say. Mostly because I got discouraged trying to build my own levels. I couldn't make anything that I felt was good, and when I did, they never got any stars. Playing other people's levels was fun (especially those of you who've shared yours in here), but it got tiring sifting through so many uploaded levels with no way to search for a specific theme. For example, I'd love to be able to search "Metroid levels" or "Zelda levels" but you can't do that. (I did hear that they are doing something to improve the search function in the next patch, though.)

I haven't tried the new update yet, with the midway flags and such. I should give it a whirl again.

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Check out my write-up of Earthworm Jim 3D for the N64, the first installment in what I hope will become a series looking back at obscure or semi-forgotten older games (with a special focus on some of the weird shit I dig up from the cartridge-era)

It's kinda lengthy and I'm not here to shove it down anyone's throats so here's a link.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kupomog

Cool write up! Found it pretty informative. I've never played that installment but grew up with the SNES Earthworm Jims.

Blog Entries

I forgot how much fun Mario kart is y'all

Blog Entries

We really should do more board Mario Kart y'all (even though I've barely played it recently because Smash Bros/Mario Maker)

Blog Entries

Made a new level on Mario Maker today!

964C-0000-0110-7060

@Jims @Dobbie @kupomog @Steve @steamed_hamms @burnin' in case any of you wanted to try it.

I do think it's a little easy though tbh.

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

woo

MORE, i want MORE

I love levels with Chain Chomps on tracks, always challenging.

I finally got around to beating 100 Mario expert mode, I probably could of done it sooner but I dislike skipping levels even if they are ridiculous.

Blog Entries

just got mario maker today, made an amateur first level if you guys want to check it out. it's got a dumb secret path you should find tbh
    080B 0000 0111 C106

Blog Entries

People are freaking out a little over this new screen pad

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/1...t-upcoming-nx/

I'm not worried at all because whatever NX is I am positive the wii u pro controller will work on it

Blog Entries

that looks interesting and cool

people are really weird about anything that isn't a 'regular console' in its design which is kinda disappointing

they can't last forever you know
    there really was one way to be and this is not it, we think

Blog Entries

really kinda wish maro maker would get a 3DS port so i could try out you guys' levels without havin to buy a $200+ console.. o well

Blog Entries

same

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D4C View Post
    People are freaking out a little over this new screen pad

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/1...t-upcoming-nx/

I'm not worried at all because whatever NX is I am positive the wii u pro controller will work on it
    that looks really cool. if that's at all similar to the final version then it might get me more interested in nintendo again.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Feel like I haven't posted in this thread in forever but I've been in Xenoblade X for the past 50 gaming hours or so. I got the mech around 25 hours in and have been really enjoying them.

(I couldn't figure out a naming/coloring scheme I wanted to do, so I just named them after legendary Pokemon because I'm a dork. I pilot the yellow one. Guess which ones they're named after.)

Overall, I really like the game but I have trouble recommending it to people because of how many systems are in it. It's probably the most intimidating RPG I have ever played and it took awhile to understand the changes they made from the original Xenoblade. The biggest adjustment in it is that there are very few dedicated healing arts, so the healing is done by responding to team requests and quick time events. Like, if a team member gets low on health, they ask for a melee attack or something and if you do a melee art, some HP will be restored. The corresponding arts (in this case red ones for melee) will glow in their color to indicate what they want, so a little bit of the battle system is just clicking on the glowing circles when they ask for it. There are also a lot of different classes that have their own different melee/ranged weapons, and once you master them, you can start mixing and matching them. I currently wield a lightsaber and sniper rifle.

The exploration is easily the best part of the game. The last time I had such a thirst for random exploration was in the original Legend of Zelda, that is how good the exploration elements are. Just as a warning, this is a game that will make you go into dangerous areas with high leveled enemies. Early on, it will tell you to get to a specific point on the map, and the only way to get there is to carefully weave your way through the environment to avoid the enemies 10-20 levels higher than you who will one-shot you. And some missions will purposely make you grab an item right from under high leveled creatures' noses. But even if you do get caught and demolished, there is no penalty at all (just taking you back to the last landmark you visited) so it lowers the anger factor. But I think this gets at what the game does best. You really do feel like you're in the middle of dangerous wilderness. Even when you're surrounded by Level 50 docile creatures who are peaceful and don't engage you. The point is that THEY COULD MESS YOU UP, so you play nice and leave them alone. And for the ones who are hostile, just stay out of their way for now. There's a definite stealth element to the game.

The game is completely open, but they do put up enemy gates in places. Like, you'll see an island with an entrance ramp with a couple powerful enemies sitting there, basically telling you to get lost. But, at the same time, if you can run right by them and keep running like hell, maybe you'll get out of their attack range before they swipe you dead. And whenever something like this does happen, it's really cool. The feeling of, "I feel like I'm getting away with something" and going somewhere you probably shouldn't be at yet.

The locations are beautiful, of course. I really enjoy the southwestern desert mesa look of Oblivia as well as the dense glowy jungle in Noctilum. Each of the 5 continents have some surprising variety to them as well.

You don't get a Skell mech until about 25-30 hours in, however, which can be kind of a deterrent. I kind of don't mind, though, because it basically becomes a completely different game when you get the Skell. It becomes less about stealth and navigating and more about bulldozing places and beating up on enemies who used to bully you. The Skell combat is much more slowly-paced and somewhat brain dead and boring, although the Skells tend to do way more damage. So there becomes a push-pull between wanting to explore on foot and flying around in the Skell. When you get it, you always want to use it... But after awhile, you kinda miss hoofing it on foot. So you can switch back and forth and do whatever. But finally being able to fly (which comes at, like, 35-40 hours) is one of the best moments in a video game I can remember. I was grinning like a moron the first time I flew over the wall of New Los Angeles.

Story isn't as good as the original Xenoblade, at least from the 75% I've experienced. And the music isn't as good either. Or maybe I should just say it's different. The main story doesn't really have a lot of story beats to it... The main goal is clearly outlined early on, and it's just a steady progression toward that goal, with a few detours here and there. The main story missions do a good job of making you go to new places and meet new characters, but there aren't as many story beats as the original Xenoblade. Your character is just a blank avatar, which limits how much impactful story stuff you can do with him/her. Elma is arguably the lead of the game, as many of the plot elements revolve around her leadership.

There are some truly baffling things about the game. The music mix is one of the worst I've ever heard in a game in certain cutscenes... The background music literally is droning out the spoken dialogue, making the subtitles a must. The text size is also preeeeeetty small, so a large TV is recommended. The voice acting is good to great, but the lip sync is off and the animations and character models aren't much to write home about. Also, the game is completely and utterly obsessed with one joke about your Nopon companion, Tatsu.

AND WILL LITERALLY REPEAT THAT SAME JOKE FOR HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS. IT WASN'T EVEN THAT FUNNY THE FIRST TIME.

Tatsu don't care, though. Tatsu too cool for school.

If the first Xenoblade is Ocarina of Time, Xenoblade X is Majora's Mask. Because the real fun and interesting story beats are in the side missions. There are basic missions like "Kill 5 of this one enemy" but they are kind of pushed to the side as extra thing you can do when you're bored. The important missions come from townspeople who will have a personalized story for you. And most surprising about the game, what you do in some of the missions actually has real consequences. There are decision points to some missions where it will give you a choice, sometimes through dialogue and sometimes through actions. And some of these results are downright dark. I have literally accidentally killed people by making a wrong choice. There is one mission that can literally result in a person executing three aliens point blank in cold blood. There is another about people mutating into weird zombie monsters. And another one about the morality of killing baby animals. And somehow, they still designed the game with no missable missions. Characters may die, but there will still be spinoff missions from other characters related to that one. So even if I get a "bad" result, I don't really feel like I've screwed myself or anything.

Overall, I'm really enjoying the game. I think I prefer the original Xenoblade for its characters, music, locations, and story, but this game has a ton to offer as well. As I said at the beginning, the game is such a huge investment time-wise, that I have trouble giving a full recommendation to people.

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kupomog

Ok the thing about no penalties sounds really nice.

Also like that you can apparently outsmart the map enemies and sneak your way into some sweet biz. Love when games allow for that kinda stuff.

Looks like scenes are being removed from Fire Emblem Fates' localization after claims of drugging and gay conversion

http://www.destructoid.com/fire-embl...e-335672.phtml

Essentially, as you will read, the story going around is a lesbian character who faints at the sight of pretty girls (which is kinda hindering during battle) is slipped a magic powder and now sees men as women. She eventually falls in love with and marries the male protagonist after the stuff wears off, thus she was drugged and converted.

There are tons of other articles going around disputing any controversy at all saying there is no conversion attempts and that it's being completely misinterpreted.

http://nichegamer.com/2015/07/the-st...ay-conversion/
    http://www.destructoid.com/the-fire-...k-295232.phtml

What I've read so far is that the guy only did it to get her to be comfortable enough around pretty girls to stop fainting, and it isn't explicit that this character is a lesbian; she is shown to "be into" both but she can only marry men anyway, so now you have a lot of bi people mad about erasure again. Then people mad about the BAD ETHICS IN GAMING JOURNALISM not getting all the facts before screaming controversy because SOCIAL JUSTICE! And then you have a lot of fans just plain mad that their game is getting a bad rap and their western release is now getting fucked with and content is being removed. Just wow.

It all still reeks of being pretty messed up but I haven't played it, haven't seen it, only heard about the game now, only read the text conversation (which doesn't seem like, strange...for Japan), etc. Japan can definitely be backwards when it comes to LGBT portrayals, though...or you know, portrayals of anyone at all. If NoA feels this particular content needs to be removed, I have no issue with that.

I know they've had some things with other games like the 13 year old in Xenoblade you can have running around in underwear or whatever, and the Fatal Frame costumes being removed.

Blog Entries

Well I can safely say I'm not bothering with Fire Emblem. Even more so than I was already.

Blog Entries

good idea too write off an entire franchise based off the over reaction of the internet

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

Kind of a slump for Nintendo until they decide to unveil the NX. I've played all of the Mario & Luigi RPGs but am skipping on Paper Jam due to a lack of funds / interest in the Paper Mario series. I'm surprised about what little press the new Star Fox is getting, but the Zelda game for the Wii U must hold promise for series mainstays. Hyrule Warriors Legends seems to add a lot to its predecessor, but at least there's Pokken, right?

Has anyone played Yokai Watch? How is it? Might pick it up or Code Name S.T.E.A.M. with my tax money.
    Always happy to meet new fans of The Simpsons. I'm especially interested in the dubs of the show, the German dub in particular.
    Incidentally, there's someone on Boards and Rec also named Lance Uppcercut. That's not me.... that is to say, that is not the same person.
    Wii U / 3DS ID: KleinerUndGemein
    PS3 ID: KleinerUndGemein
    Steam ID: SneakTheSnake
    GameFAQs profile: SneakTheSnake

Blog Entries

the only nintendo thing i am getting in the near future is that pokemon new 3ds bundle, already have it preordered at best buy. would've ordered it on amazon but for some reason they aren't offering it yet.

Blog Entries

This is definitely a backlog year for Nintendo stuff. May check out Pokken and Star Fox but that's about it.

There's a rumor of a new Paper Mario for Wii U that's popped up recently, so I'll probably do that too, I suppose.

Blog Entries

the witness comes out tomorrow

im excited

I just heard about that today and it looks so delicious

Love puzzle games so much and did enjoy Braid a lot

Thread Information