Thread: Vidya Games Thread: Nintendo Edition

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

I liked how you had to get the leaf. People who hit the hammer bro would have to dodge hammer to get the leaf if they don't kill him is a nice mechanic. Although I just went forward in the level and came back to make him disappear. Solid first level.

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That really sucks about THPS5, I've been playing the first two a lot on the N64 recently and having a great time with them. Always had a fondness for that franchise even though I know jack shit about skateboarding.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

Blog Entries

yeah it made me sad when i heard it was a mess. still enjoy playing the first couple and underground and i was hoping for a return to form. oh well

A few more fun leaning levels.

Hitch Hiking 15AD-0000-0078-18BC

Lets do this EB76-0000-0094-8321

Boing! 935D-0000-0096-F694

So...... Anyone else playing Fire Emblem Awakening?

My kid totally entranced by Jolly Roger Bay and the Dire, Dire Docks music for 1:30

I need to get recordings of it but she will always do Mario's "Here we gooooooooo!" when collecting a star, and will always go "bah bah bah bah bah bah" at the beginning of a course

On the way to becoming a good lil gamer. The good kind of gamer.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Steve

Hired Goon

Dat fuckin' kid

@Jimsaw Well, I finally beat Gravity Flip house and require more puzzle levels. My inexperience at SMW was apparently what was holding me up. It never dawned on me that you could throw something in the air having only played Mario's in which you couldn't. I've started following players who make puzzle levels recent. I'm really digging levels that require more thought lately.

Blog Entries

Ah. Didn't think about how the second puzzle requires using a mechanic that doesn't exist in the other sets... Nice job completing it! I feel like it is a pretty comprehensive review of the basic Super Mario World puzzles (spin jump to destroy blocks, transporting P-switches and springs, etc). I feel like the Super Mario World toolset is definitely the strongest set for puzzle design. Being able to flick shells and stuff upward is a game-changer.

Someone who tested out the level thought it wasn't clear enough where to go, so I added those red arrows in the second draft (and got rid of some enemies). Did you end up taking the fly-upward exit or the float-downward exit? Did you see where the secret third exit was? It's shown fairly early on in the level, it's just a matter of getting to it that's a problem.

Blog Entries

So, this happened on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert last night.

Obviously paid for by Nintendo, but still pretty cool to see on network TV.

Hired Goon

Quote Originally Posted by Jimsaw View Post

Yeah that's awesome. If any of you have the means to see this performance live, I cannot possibly over-recommend it. It was phenomenal. I had goosebumps throughout the whole thing. They played the end credits theme to A Link to the Past, one of the most touching fucking pieces of music ever, PLAYED BY A FULL ORCHESTRA! I nearly cried like a baby.

Anyway, on the subject of Mario Maker, I had to put it down for a while because it was making me sort of depressed. I know it sounds silly, but I was having a really hard time with designing levels--the blank canvas was too intimidating. And not only that, but playing so many other great levels made me envious, and frustrated that I couldn't come up with anything that good. So I'm taking a break from it, but I still want to get back to it and get cracking on some levels.

You guys have all made some great stages. Can you share any tips on how you build stuff? I feel like I'm too scatterbrained to have a concrete idea in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimsaw View Post

Haha that's pretty cool. I pretty much watch zero late night/daily shows anymore besides TDS so I always miss stuff like this or Conan's Clueless Gamers now.

Blog Entries

had no idea there was a new zelda game coming out for the 3ds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil Dead View Post
    Anyway, on the subject of Mario Maker, I had to put it down for a while because it was making me sort of depressed. I know it sounds silly, but I was having a really hard time with designing levels--the blank canvas was too intimidating. And not only that, but playing so many other great levels made me envious, and frustrated that I couldn't come up with anything that good. So I'm taking a break from it, but I still want to get back to it and get cracking on some levels.

You guys have all made some great stages. Can you share any tips on how you build stuff? I feel like I'm too scatterbrained to have a concrete idea in my mind.
    I dunno... I kinda struggle with the blank canvas thing myself. I find that trying to design the level chronologically, from the start to the finish, tends to be too intimidating. I'll be like, okay, at the beginning I'll put a few bricks and a mushroom... And then... Uh... a pipe? And a, uh, pit...

My brain doesn't work in a way where I can just make up the next environment from scratch and make it interesting.

Usually what I do is I pick either a broad concept and see if I can do it (the past/future idea, the "Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy" homage) or I grab a couple tools or gameplay mechanics and play around with it.

Like those floating skull raft things, for example. What can you do with those?
    • You can have the player jump over obstacles that get in the way.
    • You could have a two or three layers of them and have the player jump up and down.
    • You could have multiple going at a time, making the player manage where they're progressing.
    • You could put them on a track and have it more guided at parts.
    • You could do the fast version or slow version of the raft
    • Obstacles? Fire bars (too finicky maybe)? Spikes (too cheap maybe)? Thwomps (timing too hard)? etc.

I just kinda place things and obstacles down and see what works and what doesn't. This was what I ended up thinking for the Cannonball Run level, which was basically just a, "Hey, what can I do with cannons?" exercise. I just end up making a bunch of little "set pieces" of challenges and then haphazardly link them together. I think my levels end up feeling like a series of rooms more than a cohesive level but I have trouble making the whole thing flow together.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Steve

Blog Entries

if you guys haven't followed the dan rykert / patrick klepek mario maker feud you should, its amazing

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/su...pek/1100-5284/
    there really was one way to be and this is not it, we think

Blog Entries

NX is basically confirmed for console-handheld hybrid. Some even say they went out of their way to bring in PS4 horsepower.

We'll see.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2499608/nin...-2016-release/

Blog Entries

Interesting. Every time I hear about this thing, I wonder how Nintendo could possibly do the console-hybrid, make it at least comparable to PS4, and still make it reasonably priced. The reason Wii U never gets a price drop is because the gamepad is such a bitch for Nintendo to make (in terms of adding to the cost per unit). A console-hybrid is essentially going to be the complete version of Wii U, so I don't know how they could get away with it without pricing it for $400+. Square Enix has talked about producing both a 3DS and PS4 version of Dragon Quest XI, and the game has already been linked to NX, so it makes some sense.

Heard patent rumbling awhile back about it possibly not having a hard drive and being digital/cards only. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Blog Entries

I hope they don't overwhelm their own market and expect to sell Wii U much anymore. Wii U and 3DS , 2DS and New 3DS crowds retail shelf space and confuses consumers

Hired Goon

I seriously hope that the no-optical-drive thing is either untrue, or just an option and that the final console will have one. I strongly dislike the notion of an all-digital console without any physical media. I don't think Nintendo will actually go that route, at least not yet, because it seems like a stupid financial idea all-around. I'm sure retailers wouldn't be too happy with having no software to put on their shelves, and I feel like we haven't yet reached the point where the average consumer prefers digital over physical (at least for video games). Personally, the idea of paying $60 for a digital download that you can't put on your shelf, lend to a friend, or re-sell is absurd. Not to mention how much hard drive space you'd need to store so many games, and having to wait hours for 25+ GB downloads.

I am looking forward to knowing more about NX, but I will be pissed if Zelda U ends up being Twilight Princess all over again.

Blog Entries

today was the nintendo entertainment system's 30th birthday in north america. time to go play some shatterhand.

Hired Goon

So the new Zelda: Tri Force Heroes actually doesn't suck. The "cooperative" (I'm playing it in solo mode with two "dummy" companions) gameplay is solid, and there are some very clever puzzles. A few of them made me scratch my head a bit. I'm a couple of worlds into the game, and so far the levels are very bite-sized. There is no exploration, and only a tiny bit of collecting as far as I've seen. It's very similar to Four Swords in that you get whatever items you need at the start of each area, and you only keep them for that level.

So it's not really very Zelda-y, and feels a bit basic and watered down, but I WILL say that it's extremely pick-up-and-play. The plot is really lame and thin, but on the plus side it's pushed into the background and it doesn't take long to get right into the gameplay. The meat of Zelda games, apart from the exploration aspect, has always been the dungeons. And this game is 99% dungeons.

I would be interested to play it cooperatively with humans, but I'm fine with playing it solo. The game is definitely optimized for human cooperative play; there are some parts that you can tell would work way better that way, instead of constantly cycling between the "real" Link and two dummies.

It doesn't seem to be a very long game, so I will probably be finished with it in a week or two. I hope there's a hero mode or something to extend its life a little.

Hired Goon

Mario Maker free update coming on 11/4!

Checkpoints

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: burnin'

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hope you can edit them into existing levels too (though knowing Nintendo that likely makes too much sense)

Blog Entries

Hired Goon

Quote Originally Posted by The Spruce Moose View Post
    Sweet. I'm hoping they reveal SOMETHING about Zelda U, and/or announce Twilight Princess HD.

Blog Entries

Just give me Smash news and something to show Zelda U still exists and I'll be happy

Hired Goon

Oh that's right, they may be announcing the winners of the Smash poll. I dunno, I've sort of cooled down about Smash Bros since it's already a year old, but I am excited to see who won. The DLC has definitely given the game a longer lifespan. By a year into Brawl's life I was already totally done with it.

I just hope the winner isn't another cut character from previous Smash Bros. games, and is someone totally new.

Blog Entries

You and I are very different people Steve.

Hired Goon

Blog Entries

lets hope this isn't as big of a disaster as the E3 direct

Thread Information