Thread: Vidya Games Thread: Nintendo Edition

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Whatever your opinion on it, this is a pretty great ad

I think my excitement for Mario Maker depends on my mood. Sometimes I think it is going to be great, other times It just doesn't look exciting to me. I think it will be good. I was never very good at creating levels in games, so I doubt I'll be able to make anything close to what you see in the videos.

It will be cool to play levels that people upload, although I'm sure most of them will just be made to be annoying because of trolls. At least you have to beat a level before you can upload it.

So I re-bought this game the other day since it was cheap and Prime eligible on Amazon:

I had owned it before a few years back but sold it when I was strapped for cash and sold a lot of my non-essential games. I forgot what a good game it was! It's a little clunky at times, but it's a VERY solid and fun platformer. I love all of the tiny details in the world. You play a tiny mushroom guy and the whole world is made up of real-life objects that are repurposed into functional things, like train tracks made of pencils and clothespins, for example. And there are wrappers and containers that are obvious knockoffs of real-life products, which are hilarious. My favorite I've seen so far is a bottle cap for "FLAB" (a takeoff of Tab soda) with the tagline "Extreme-Calorie Cola." Dunno why I love details like that so much but I do.

Really recommend it. It's an underrated hidden gem for the system.

Anyway, after I played that I game-hopped a little bit since I already had my Wii stuff out. In case anyone didn't know, the Wii U upscales Wii games to HD. It makes some games look a lot better, like Super Mario Galaxy. Twilight Princess even looks a little better - but you can definitely see that it's truly a GameCube game and not a Wii game.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Wow, those are really cool levels.

I really enjoy the little commentary videos people have been making, kinda explaining the thought process of the level designs and stuff. Jeremy Parish from US Gamer did a little series of daily Mario Maker where he documented his attempt to try to make a "good" level. I feel like so much of it is just kinda telegraphing the challenges in advance and elaborating on core concepts from early on.

Those buzzsaws are making me look forward to the inevitable Super Meat Boy inspired levels.

Target has some good sales this week. I saw a scan of their ad and they have Mario kart 8 and smash bros for wii U both for 41.99, Mario party 10 for 34.99, Mario kart 7 for 20.99 and smash bros for 3ds for 27.99 and select others.

Blog Entries

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

Also Miyamoto discusses possibility of Galaxy 3: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...r-and-advances
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe its just a bunch of stuff that happened."
    - The Simpsons

Blog Entries

Nah that's cool, Miyamoto

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
    Nah that's cool, Miyamoto
    uh
    are you saying you do not want a third Galaxy game
    cause I would like to know why

I'd buy the next Wii if a third Mario Galaxy came out tbh, I fucking loved that game
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Elliot76

I wouldn't mind a new Mario Galaxy game. It would look amazing in HD. I won't expect it any time soon if ever, but it would be cool. I would probably prefer it over another Super Mario 3D World-type game, which felt just a little smaller-scale by comparison (though it was a great game).

Gahhh I'm so excited for Super Mario Maker, it comes out in only 3 days! My copy will be delivered by Amazon on Friday. I dislike the whole you-have-to-wait-9-days-to-unlock-everything BS, but eh. Some of the levels people have shared look like a lot of fun. @The Spruce Moose that Bob-Ombstacle Course one looked clever as hell!

Banned
    Blog Entries

i'd take any mario game as long as it wasn't another new super mario bros game. nsmb 2 killed that franchise for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Deformed View Post
    i'd take any mario game as long as it wasn't another new super mario bros game. nsmb 2 killed that franchise for me.
    NSMB2 was incredibly phoned-in and average, but still decent. I mean it IS a Mario platformer so you can't really go wrong. NSMB U is way better though, easily the best of the "New" series. But I do agree that they have done pretty much everything they can with that series, so it's probably time to move on from it. If they must have an ongoing Super Mario side series, I'd rather they continue with the SM 3D Land/World series.

Banned
    Blog Entries

would super mario bros. 4 be completely out of the question? with mario maker they're clearly not afraid to go back to the nes and snes styles of super mario bros. 1 and 3 and super mario world, so why couldn't they go down the mega man 9 and 10 road and create old style mario games? the engines have been developed already for the wii u.

That could be cool, but I always considered the first New SMB to be a Super Mario Bros. 4 of sorts. Same gameplay style, etc. If they went and did a SMB4 with 8-bit or 16-bit graphics, it would be a little redundant, especially after Super Mario Maker. I'm hoping Super Mario Maker is sort of the finale for the old-style 2D Mario format, since it pretty much has infinite possibilities for levels in the style of those games.

I've also been hearing lots of people mention that Nintendo should have DLC for SMM, to add new level styles such as Super Mario Bros. 2. I'd be surprised if they didn't do this.

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

mario maker is very fun
    played it at a mates house
    love the remix levels and just the general accessibility of the game, it's so easy to make a level

Blog Entries

Yeah, Super Mario Maker is really fun so far. It's amazing how much time you can sink into making a level... Was goofing around last night and then looked up and found out I had been working on it for 90 minutes without even noticing.

I did manage to upload my first level, though, if anyone who has the game wants to try it. Tried to make something with some tricky parts but not insanely difficult or anything.

It's called Pesky Pipes!
    ID: 2383-0000-0024-1C10

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

Don't "P" Yourself: C02B-0000-002A-9F34

Up and Down: A772-0000-001C-F2B6

Fin-tastic Swim: 9556-0000-002A-875A
    Last edited by burnin'; 09-12-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Blog Entries

First Try Stage (I wasn't trying on that name admittedly): 68A2-000-0026-BDDA
    Crazy Castle: 1003-000-002D-D9BA
    Have It!: 32ED-0000-0031-2692

I have defeated all posted levels so far. I demand more. Pesky Pipes was solid.

Or play some more of mine:

SMB Challenge: 7A14-0000-0031-4030

Mario Adventure: 893B-0000-0033-E438

Although it doesn't look like you guys have defeated my others yet?

Blog Entries

I'm gonna go through you guys' tomorrow, don't worry!

Kinda fatigued tonight, as I finished my first "high concept" level. It's a take on multiple dimensions and/or time travel. When I thought up that title, I decided to throw in a Chrono Trigger "cameo" as well. Wanted to make it pretty approachable, since the level is somewhat long.

Title: BUT THE FUTURE REFUSED TO CHANGE
    ID: 6FCF-0000-0034-6305

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Steve

That was a solid stage as well. Got it the first try. I've never really cared for Mario World. Probably because I never had an SNES, but this game has made me start to love it.

Blog Entries

Oh really? Interesting. Super Mario World is definitely my favorite set of the 4. I really like having the spin jump, and the picking-up and flicking items mechanics always felt the best in that game. Really good set for puzzle levels and stuff.

Blog Entries

I only recently got SMW on Virtual Console, it's harder than i'm used to as a modern Mario fan but it's so good. Took me a while to get used to spin jump too admittedly.

Also I fucking suck at you guys levels. Takes me a good 5 goes to get what i'm meant to do and then my timing isn't good enough to do it!

I'm having a blast with Mario Maker too! I've built a couple of levels, nothing too amazing but decent. I'll post the level codes here later in case anyone wants to play them. Stars would be appreciated I'll star you back of course. Later today I will go download and play all of the stages you guys posted in this thread. @burnin' is a sadistic bastard for his "Up and Down" stage But it was incredibly well-designed, and I did manage to beat it!

Some of the other user-created levels are amazingly clever. It makes me feel lame because I could never come up with anything like that. They do inspire me though, and I've learned lots of ideas.

On a side note, one little fun tip I discovered on my own is that when you're making a cave or a tunnel-like area within a stage, it's better to just lay down a huge block of solid ground, and then use the eraser to carve out a path through it. I found this to be a lot easier than trying to do it the opposite way. It's also incredibly helpful how you can switch between playing the stage and editing it on the fly, so you can quickly try and see if something works, and then if it doesn't, fix it. The Mario trail thing is ridic helpful too.

I think I'm going to sink a LOT of hours into this.

Blog Entries

Went through @burnin' and @The Spruce Moose's courses. I forgot to write down the codes in burnin's second post so I'll have to go back to 'em later.

I found the burnin' courses creative but a little too finicky sometimes. The P-switch one got on my nerves a little because of the SMB3 hitboxes on the P-switches. It's really easy to just accidentally clip the corner of them... I think I'm too used to the Super Mario World versions that are more lenient. I also got really mad at the hidden blocks toward the end. The up-and-down level, I enjoyed. There were a few parts that just seemed cheap-for-the-sake-of-cheap (mainly the upward facing burner), but most of that stuff was toward the beginning. I like it when designers front-load the major challenges... Dying at the very end of a level with no checkpoints really sucks. So the note blocks were very appreciated. The underwater level was definitely the easiest of the three (think I completed it in my second or third attempt). I didn't like how much waiting you had to do in some of the narrow places, and it didn't seem possible to keep the mushroom power-up for any period of time. But I liked it overall. Very methodical and bullet hell'ish kind of underwater level.

Moose's levels were fun. I liked the kind of intermediate challenge to them after burnin's expert levels. They both seemed very fair but challenging. I really enjoyed the castle level in particular. It had a lot of action without seeming too gimmicky. I liked what you did with the floating platforms with the Bullet Bills and Fire Flowers and stuff. I fell into a decent number of stupid deaths by going too fast.

Still trying to cook up an idea for a new level. From what I'm been seeing, the levels that get the stars are either really pretty or really gimmicky and/or referential. For my next one, I might just try to build a nice looking setting first and then add the obstacles later. I really enjoy playing this game in off-TV mode. Just turn on a DVD and just sit there with it your lap, moving blocks around. It was great on Sunday, when the football games were on.

@Jims I just beat your Future course. I liked the past/Present/future idea, it was something I don't think I ever could have come up with for a Mario game! Only really tough part was the cannons, otherwise it was a fair challenge. I tried to Star it but I got a server error and got booted Same with your Up and Down stage, @burnin'

Gonna try and play the rest of yalls soon.

I just uploaded a new stage, give it a try: CC52-0000-003B-2C96

It's a recreation of Air Man's stage from Mega Man 2. I pulled up a complete map of the stage while I built it, and made it as closely as possible. I think it turned out pretty well

The upward burner was mistakenly left in there. In my original plan those chain chomps weren't there. I forget what I originally had there but it made the level too hard so I edited that part (which had a spot that allowed you to see the burner.) Future levels from me are going to be more basic and more based on either a) shorter challenging platforming b) strategy/puzzle solving

The "P" level is actually real easy when you figure out the trick. Which is to  use the P's to eliminate your enemies as you go. 

There was a really cool metal man stage i played Friday night. I instinctively kept trying to shoot the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by burnin' View Post
    There was a really cool metal man stage i played Friday night. I instinctively kept trying to shoot the whole time.
    I think I just played the same one! Was it the one with the Thwomps at the beginning? I thought it was a really clever level, and it even used a big Hammer Bro with a small Hammer Bro on top of it for the final boss, like I did in my Air Man stage.

Thread Information