Thread: Vidya Games Thread: Nintendo Edition

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yeah, really sad news. I pretty much grew up with nintendo games and a lot of what i played back then i still play today. What he brought to the gaming world will not be forgotten and he will be missed.

R.I.P

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Got me some Splatoon for my birthday i'm coming for you @Jims and @hamm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Hugandkiss View Post
    Got me some Splatoon for my birthday i'm coming for you @Jims and @hamm
    Awesome. Let me know what you think of the game! I'm not really a fan of shooters myself, but I just can't put the game down.

Blog Entries

sgdq!

yoshis island!

trihex!

it's fun!
    there really was one way to be and this is not it, we think

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    Awesome. Let me know what you think of the game! I'm not really a fan of shooters myself, but I just can't put the game down.
    Great game that I am very bad at. I'll probably be on this for a few hours now if you or @hamm want to play since Dobbie wouldn't Smash with me

Blog Entries

Thanks for the games, @The Spruce Moose. You were lagging just a little on the end, but I've seen much laggier players. It was workable for me.

What's funny is that one of the folks from NeoGAF that I play against from time to time (splatacus) joined the game and started tearing things up. SplatGAF is generally super amazing at the game, so it was interesting when he hopped in. He actually runs a Twitch stream, so he ended up recording our sessions. I've never actually seen myself play on stream before, so it'll be interesting to watch later.

Blog Entries

Nice, should link me when you find that!

Blog Entries

anyone good at sm64 and want 1000 bucks?

There hasn't been a ton of talk about super Mario maker for the wii u. It comes out in a few weeks, and I have it preordered.

I could see people being not really interested in it, as it is basically a level editor with a lot of fancy features. I'm not really good at level creation in games, but playing through a lot of user created levels seems pretty cool.

Blog Entries

i see no reason for mario maker hype. level editors for the game have been around for ages, even on free flash games. its an unexciting concept to me. would have feigned interest if they had let you make mario 2 levels though

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieR View Post
    There hasn't been a ton of talk about super Mario maker for the wii u. It comes out in a few weeks, and I have it preordered.

I could see people being not really interested in it, as it is basically a level editor with a lot of fancy features. I'm not really good at level creation in games, but playing through a lot of user created levels seems pretty cool.
    Yep, I'm looking forward to it too. Although I am worried that I am going to get it and then realize that I lack the creativity to make interesting levels. There will always be all the user-created content, though.

A lot of the online footage in the game is absolutely bonkers. I love all the 8-bit sprites they made for the Amiibos. Seeing a little Kirby or Charizard running through Mario levels is surreal.

direct floor engagement friendswithsalad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i'm so up for mario maker

Saw bullet-hell shmup level someone made that looked pretty neat but as admitted before, this game would've been more for the person I was 10 years ago..I was way more into level creating then and have so little drive nowadays for that.

Not gonna complain if it ends up on our shelf but I think I'm probably looking at Splatoon for next purchase.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

if this were around for like SNES itd blow my mind... i think it's too late to be exciting to me now.

Blog Entries

The only concern about the user-generated levels is that people are just going to upload a bunch of cheap Kaizo levels with boring traps. Saw one recently where the player was flying along and found a pipe with a bunch of arrows pointing to it, which of course, didn't work (his cloud had disappeared). So he had to jump to his death. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of fun mean-spirited levels, but there is probably going to be a lot of cheap garbage.

I'm pretty excited for it. I'm not sure how good I'll be at building levels, but it'll be fun to try. And I'll probably get a lot of ideas from levels others have shared. If it's possible, we here who get the game should share our own levels with each other.

The game apparently comes with dozens of pre-made levels too, so it'll at least have a "campaign" of sorts.

Blog Entries

WHAT a wasted opportunity you cant make mario 2 levels. inexcusable

Blog Entries

Maybe in Super Mario Maker 2.
    Season 1: The humble beginnings -- Seasons 2-8: The classic era -- Season 9: The first season where noticeable flaws began to appear -- Season 10: The last decent season -- Season 11: The first BAD season -- Season 12: The last season with episodes worth watching -- Seasons 13-Present: Zombie Simpsons

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Since the computer hasn't been working the past few days, I've been spending some quality time with the N64. Finally beat Star Wars: Rogue Squadron for the first time. Now trying to beat the Gym Leader Tower in Pokemon Stadium (since I've never made it past Giovanni) but damn, the AI in this game is so much harder than it was in the Gameboy games.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

Quote Originally Posted by handy wonder View Post
    WHAT a wasted opportunity you cant make mario 2 levels. inexcusable
    Most likely because Nintendo pretty much doesn't consider it a real Mario game anymore. And it wouldn't make sense to the Japanese market, for whom the Mario 2 that we are familiar with is Doki Doki Panic, a totally unrelated game. I agree it would have been cool, though. I love the American Mario 2.

What would be really cool is if you can blend the graphics and playstyles of different Mario games within the same level. But it would probably be hard to pull off, and it would feel really weird to transition from one physics engine to another on the fly. It could be a good challenge, though.

Blog Entries

well it was eventually released there under like super mario USA or something.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Most likely because Nintendo pretty much doesn't consider it a real Mario game anymore.
    This is untrue. If they didn't, why would they remake the game for GBA? And why would Shy Guys, Snifits, and Birdo continue popping up in Mario games for the past decades? Doki Doki Panic was developed by Miyamoto, so it is more of a Mario game than the "real" Super Mario Bros. 2.

They probably just didn't include it because of the engine differences, with the being able to stand on enemies and pick them up and stuff. Not a perfect excuse, since there are obviously engine differences between Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World, but it's probably a conceptual decision on their part. At least we can still use the Subspace doors.

Blog Entries

its pre unacceptable to not include it imo. why is everyone tryin to find excuses for why itd be fine to leave it out!!

Blog Entries

Hey, I love SMB2 as much as the next guy (almost as much as 3), but its absence isn't a deal-breaker for me. Even you have to admit that the mechanics and tile sets are dramatically different from the other games in the series. Since the crux of the game involves being able to switch skins and go between different toolsets, it makes some sense from a gameplay mechanics perspective to leave it out. Sure, Wigglers didn't exist until Super Mario World, but they're able to function the same way in SMB1, which is why they made an 8-bit Wiggler version. If you put a Wiggler in SMB2 tilesets with the mechanics, what happens when you try to pick it up? They'd have to start make decisions on what the brand new mechanics would be, so the concept of the game starts getting weird.

I would prefer that they would be able to do it, but I can see why they left it out.

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

anyone checked out the new splatoon update?? @Jims
    I went to my friends house since my Wii u is still fucked and it's okay thus far. the slosher is an okay weapon and I really like the new summer camp-esque map. he didn't have enough money to get the other gun so I'll have to check it out next weekend
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

Blog Entries

Didn't they already have a camp based map?

Blog Entries

Yeah, they did a camp-themed map awhile back called Camp Triggerfish. It's a really weird one... Two parallel sides completely cut off from each other, except for two or three entrances. Not a fan of it in Turf Wars.

I'm kinda mixed on the new guns. I don't like the Heavy Splatling, but in general I don't like the weapons you have to charge. I like the bucket, though. It makes a really satisfying shotgun blast sound every time you swing it.

They did release the 4th game mode, Rainmaker. I love it. I think it's the best mode in the game. It feels like a weird rugby match or something, where I'll grab the giant Rainmaker gun and make this crazy deep run into their territory... Only to get splatted right in front the platform, and the other team grabs it and runs it back toward us. It plays like a mix between Tower Control and Turf Wars.

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

I was really hyped for Mario Maker but, the more I see on it in-depth, the more it makes me iffy on it. Some complaints and issues are major (no customized world maps, time-released unlockables, the whole Amiibo shtick) and others are minor (Amiibos only work with 8-bit graphical skin, can't turn off the drop shadow for the 8- and 16-bit graphical skins, enemies rotate off the screen when they're hit instead of simply disappearing). As a purist, some of these turn me off to the whole thing, but I'd like to keep an open mind and at least rent it first.
    Always happy to meet new fans of The Simpsons. I'm especially interested in the dubs of the show, the German dub in particular.
    Incidentally, there's someone on Boards and Rec also named Lance Uppcercut. That's not me.... that is to say, that is not the same person.
    Wii U / 3DS ID: KleinerUndGemein
    PS3 ID: KleinerUndGemein
    Steam ID: SneakTheSnake
    GameFAQs profile: SneakTheSnake

Blog Entries

I haven't thought of renting a game in a decade

I actually forget it was a thing until people mention it here and then.

Blog Entries

our local grocery store is the only place around where you can rent movies/games anymore

Thread Information