Page 227 of 227 FirstFirst ... 127177217218219220221222223224225226227
Results 6,781 to 6,802 of 6802

Thread: What're You Listening to?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

BINARY LISTENS TO THE MUSIC (Posting here cause I don’t feel like making blog entries + wanted to add to my NHC post count/activity I GUESS whatever)

My knowledge of contemporary music is pretty…poor. Kinda odd considering I am about to graduate with a degree in music (though tbf that is more focused on classical, pre 20th Century music theory). Reading the vocal musical opinions on NHC/Discord over the years has definitely helped in remedying this area, getting me interested in music I wouldn’t have otherwise, but my knowledge still feels pretty weak, and I feel it is time I did something about it gosh dang it!

So, as one of my New Year’s resolution, I vowed to listen to one new album every day of 2020, expand my understanding of music in the last Century, and maybe even help inspire any music I write for myself in the future (yes I still do that).

I will TRY to write reviews/notes for these albums, despite my analytical writing being kinda garbage, so please bear in mind. Writing these for myself for the most part, though maaybe i'll improve overtime hmmm (assuming I have the time to write everyday, I'll at least put some quick notes about it). Just going to be stating what I listened to and any random comments that pop in my mind.

Anyone who sees/reads these, feel free to comment on your opinions on these albums too! Would love participation/discussion out of these if possible.

To begin, I will be going through the Top 100 Albums list NHC did back in 2017 btw, listening to all the albums on that list I’ve never heard first then going from there. NHC members seem to have pre-good musical taste (so I heard) figured that’d be a good place to start.

Link: https://www.nohomers.net/showthread....Edition/page2&

Lettuce begin…

1010011010's Album of the Day #1: “Flood” by Boris (MIDI Creative, 2000)

The third album by the experimental Japanese band Boris, a band formed in Tokyo in 1992, made up of drummer Atsuo Mizuno, guitarist/bassist Takeshi Ohtani, and guitarist/keyboardist Wata.

What makes the album unique is that it is composed of only one 70 minute track (“Flood”) split across four movements.

The music of the album is driven by repetition and ambience, relying on 1-2 bar guitar musical motifs with synth ambience to create feelings usually of loneliness and eeriness.

Yet despite being very minimalistic and repetitive for most of it, Flood manages to create distinctly different tones between its four parts.

Part one is very much an atmospheric piece, fourteen minutes of a repeating guitar bar, a lonely background piece that carefully over the runtime shows glimpses of a darker side with popping in synth noises, becoming creepier and darker until finally drowning the entire piece for the last 2 minutes with harsh atmospheric wind and stampeding drums.

Part one made me prepared to sit in on a contemplative, repetitive, ‘experimental’ album, which I do enjoy, but not as much as I loved what Flood evolved into in parts two and three. Part two moves past the synth noise into a chill drum beat with one of several wonderful guitar riffs. The guitar riff we get at the 21:00 minute mark is such a great payoff mixed with the chill simple drum beat.

After this riff, the song evolves again with a metal solo (25:00) that begins the metal takeover in part three. Except the metal in part three feels much harsher, almost silencing the gentle guitar arpeggios that began part three, also the only part of the song with vocals, faint Japanese vocals. Part three transforms into a lurching, full on grunge song, but this again is suddenly dimmed when part four comes along, reducing the grunge tone to a faint bassline behind the soft ambient synths that slowly reduce Flood into complete nothingness.

Part four takes listeners back into the contemplative nature Part 1 had, except even the repetitive motif is gone, the last 10 minutes being entirely between ambient wind and silence.

Whether the structure of Flood works will very much depend between listeners. The transition between the stylistically different sections of the song are sudden, but there is an interesting story that can be analyzed from it, the emotionally puncturing riffs and metal/synth darkness that emerges between eerie silence and repetition.

Basically, I like the guitar lines in 2 and 3, is all I’m getting at. Interesting structure and atmosphere, repetitive parts might be a bit much for casual listeners, listen and decide for yourself!
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tyler

Blog Entries

1010011010’s Album of the Day #2: “OK Computer” by Radiohead (EMI, 1997)

Link to Playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNY_...F&index=2&t=0s

OK Computer is the third album by Radiohead, an English rock band formed in 1985 by Thom Yorke (vocals), Jonny Greenwood (lead guitar), Colin Greenwood (bass), Ed O’Brien (guitar, backing vocals), and Philip Selway (drums, percussion).

My familiarity with Radiohead is pretty much limited to one album: Kid A. I bought that album on CD a year ago and have listened to it at least a dozen times through since. I love love LOVE that album, the ethereal quality and abstract lyrics of Morning Bell and Idioteque, the fantastic composition of overlayering brass and band instruments in National Anthem, I could listen to that album over and over.

Being the album preceding Kid A, OK Computer of course has a similar air to its music quality. The high octave, breathy vocals of Thom Yorke that whine, but never comes across as annoying. I honestly really like Yorkes voice and feel it is perfect for getting the unique, almost haunting quality of these songs messages. The album is perhaps less abstract/experimental as Kid A, songs like Karma Police and Electioneering keep to standard acoustic/rock song structures with usually only hints of electronic synth. NOT that that’s a bad thing, straight rock Radiohead is still damn fine to listen to, but the songs that stood out the most to me where the ones that escaped that sound, such as Paranoid Android, being half alternative rock, half choral ballad.

My favorite song on the album was Exit Music (for a film). Such a chilling, ghostly plea for escape by Yorke on acoustic guitar, made to feel even more daunting when combined with electric chorus and later electric bass as he screams genuinely away. Radioheads portrayal of emotion just feels right out of their sound, whether it’s the claustrophobic screaming at the end of Climbing Up the Walls, or the harsh lyrics put over a gentle guitar in the suicidal lullaby that is No Suprises.

I listened to the album twice and I still feel I can’t do this one justice (that or I just suck at writing). A wonderful rock album full of underlying despair and emotion, pushed by unique choices in sounds, OK Computer is an album I would gladly listen to over and over.

Blog Entries

HOLY SHIT, I can actually post on this forum today! Quick, time to post the last few days of album thoughts.

1010011010’s Album of the Day #3: “If You’re Feeling Sinister” by Belle and Sebastian (Jeepster Records, 1996)

Playlist link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...bPdre0jZfzVFJ5

“If You’re Feeling Sinister” is the second album released by Belle and Sebastian, a Scottish indie pop band formed in Glasgow in 1994 led by Stuart Murdoch.

Reminiscent of the vivid stories set to acoustic guitar produced by the likes of The Smiths and Mountain Goats, “If You’re Feeling Sinister” is another great series of delicately sung country-esque/indie rock songs.

Favorite song of the album was The Fox in the Snow, lyrics alone a beautiful painting of loneliness and the repetitive cycle of life that cinched me with careful use of piano, violin, vibraphone, and backing vocals. On the opposite side of Belle and Sebastians range is my second favorite song, Me and the Major, a very high tempo, catchy piece about a Major Murdoch once knew, portraying his insanity in a pretty fun acoustic song. Also dat harmonica, and it just gets better as the piece goes on, such a catchy piece.

The ten songs on “If You’re Feeling Sinister” range between sadness and heartwarming, difficulties of sexuality and criticism of religion, but still shows a good side of humor (first song of the album has a chorus verse with the lyric “you only did it to wear terry underwear/and feel the city air”). A few cool instrument uses, a sax solo in Mayfly, trumppeeetts(!) in Judy and the Dream of Horses, but mostly sticks to acoustic guitar/drums, tho giving us wonderfully catchy songs like If You’re Feeling Sinister.

“If You’re Feeling Sinister” felt like a great introduction to Belle and Sebastian, a great series of indie rock songs with lyrics I definitely will come back to.

Blog Entries

1010011010’s Album of the Day #4: “Milo Goes to College” – Descendents (New Alliance Records, 1982)

Playlist link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO5A...0&index=2&t=0s

“Milo Goes to College” is the first full length album by Descendents, an American punk band formed in 1977 by Frank Navetta (guitarist), Tony Lombardo (bassist) and Bill Stevenson (drummer), joined in 1979 by Milo Aukerman as singer.

Clocking in at 22 minutes with 15 songs, “Milo Goes to College” I would label as a damn fun, condensed version of the punk music era. The short length of each song combined with the already over energized guitar/drums and straight to the point lyrics, while I didn’t exactly connect with the songs as I was supposed to, my attention never wandered from the samples of adrenaline rising bars and strange lyrics (“I wanna be a bear, don’t wanna smell muff”). The speaking portions of the song felt the most genuine to me, his angsty direct read of “I want to be stereotyped” in Suburban Home and fucking up his fishing boat in Catalina.

Reading the genuine effort and emotional reactions put in by Descendents and fan reaction in the 80’s, I feel slightly bad about not getting any of this same connection. Guitarist Frank Navetta said he was expressing his own resentment and envy in I’m Not a Loser and Parents, yet both rang the same feeling of cheeky irony as songs like I Wanna be a Bear and M16 did, especially Aukerman’s guttural repetitive screaming of parents. I’m definitely missing the point of the punk music era/being a bit cynical, but the repetitive lyrics about self-loathing, women that have left/abused him, and ANGST don’t ring much an emotional reaction, especially with the short song lengths and ironic tone.

What DOES generate feelings from me however is the guitar/drums rock music. Songs like Statue of Liberty and Tonyage have very solid rock music, especially love the sudden tempo rise in Tonyage. “Milo Goes to College” ‘s unique fast pacing, punk vibe and irony is a good breezy listen.

Blog Entries

...and then I suddenly got less confident in my writing/didn't know what to say anymore, so next three are pretty quick. w/e

1010011010’s Album of the Day #5: “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd (Harvest & Columbia Records, 1975)

Listened to this album while driving on the road back to college, and it felt pretty perfect for that. Shine On You Crazy Diamond is a fantastic long form multi part epic long form epic multi LONG…point is, I enjoy Pink Floyd (dodges bullet).

1010011010’s Album of the Day #6: “Elastica” by Elastica (Deceptive Records, 1995)

The self-titled album Elastica is the first (of 2) albums by the English punk rock band, formed in 1992 London by Justine Frischmann (vocals/guitar), Donna Matthews (vocals/guitar), Annie Holland (bass guitar), and Justin Welch (drums).

My GREAT notes.

Songs:
    line up – Mario: “hyuh”, conformity? “line up in line”
    annie – letter from annie
    connection – very catchy
    car song – op sounds like the sonic 2 boss battle music. Call me a carnivore?. Unsettling synths going up/down, like cruising downtown.
    Smile – good bass. Jamming shit.
    Hold me now – album feels like a very cool teen strolling at night. A bit punkish, rebellious, but calm and collected in how they perform it. they’re edgy, but you could still be friends with them
    S.O.F.T. – that 2nd half of guitar bends/cool jamming. What does soft mean? Just the word soft, heaven bent?
    Indian song – “it is waiting” open up your feeelings to the sweet indian drums/sitar mode on electric guitar. Think that’s a sitar mode on guitar. And an actual sitar faintly back, plus midi brass.
    Blue – good banger, chords/melody gr8t
    All nighter – band reminds me of the pillows
    Waking up – 2 songs pretty accurate of school life.
    2:1 – chill ass bopper. Shortened guitar chords, use of vocals + filtered vocals
    see that animal – good. Nice elec guitar melody
    stutter – boy sounds like a dick.
    Never here – best of the album. Feels the most complete, great lyrics and beat.
    Vaseline – catcheist Vaseline commercial ever.

Best: SOFT

Very quick listen, cool punk band.

1010011010’s Album of the Day #7: “Funeral” – Arcade Fire (Merge, 2003)

The debut album of Canadian indie rock band Arcade Fire, found in 2000 by Win Butler (vocals, guitar) and Josh Deu (writer).

My previous knowledge of Arcade Fire includes seeing them on SNL/PBS back in 2011, vaguely hearing they became mainstream shit later on, then my first college roommate saying they were his favorite band. This is apparently one of the greatest albums of the 2000's and....yea I can see that. The lyrics/stories are well written and inspirational, orchestral instrumentals add plenty of power to the songs (7 Kettles, Wake Up, Rebellion) especially when the song turns into a power ballad in the 2nd half.

Favorite song is Crown of Love, dem minor chord progressions, and that fucking GRAND last third, fantastic ballad, plus random disco beat ending to top it off. Close seconds are laika and power out, intense lyrics and instrumentals.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tyler

Blog Entries

i was listening to descendants a bit eariler today lol

Blog Entries

theres definitely some stuff on college that annoys the shit out of me but like a lot of it is so catchy,,,, i prefer i dont want to grow up, but both have pretty similar flaws of side A being kinda ass (well, i think colleges side A isn't that bad it's just where all the bad stuff is) but the last like 5 songs on grow up are unbeatable.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: 1010011010

Blog Entries

Missed yesterday because I was busy finishing an essay, so doing two today.

1010011010’s Album of the Day #8: “Mezzanine” – Massive Attack (1998, Circa and Virgin Records)

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ChiRTffGyyJcA1

The third studio album by English electronic music duo Massive Attack, who began in 1988 in Birstol by Robert “3D” Del Naja and Grant “Daddy G” Marshall as dual vocalists, and Andy “Mushroom” Vowles.

Angel – basss. Electronic rock, chill beat. Psychedelic singing/lyrics. Pre badass I GUESS. Picture an unemotional, macho guy either making love or in a shoot-out. Or both. Devolves into garageband beat.
    Risingson – chill electric rap. “dream on” vocal fades cool, add a mystical/dream quality to this bar/party they’re in. reading the comments, this is apparently a good album for having sex/doing heroin too. i…agree?
    Teardrop – HOUSE! Love the piano/beat of that theme song, cool to know where it came from. More otherworldly lyrics/feelings.
    Inertia Creeps – Like the Turkish styled drums/guitar. Y’know…I think this song is about sex. Moving up slowly, she comes. Mm yes.
    Dissolved Girl – Love the lyrics, Sara Jay’s singing is perfect for em. Grunge guitar riff in the middle a nice break from the chill electronic beats.
    Man Next Door – bassss. The melody picked sounds exactly like a cliché theme for a 50’s era western movie. I dunno why that came into mind. More slow electric beat chillness.
    Black Milk – Hypnotic. Good music to listen to while driving or going to bed, to really unwind to these beats.
    Massive Attack – Interesting back and forth between 3D and Daddy G, gets across the feeling of being in two places/bipolarism well.
    Group Four – Between Fraser’s spiritual breath and 3D’s loner rap, wonderful end to this album.

Need to stop overusing this word, but CHILL album. All the beats are great uses of electronic noises and bass. Gonna do some heroin so I can truly appreciate it.

1010011010’s Album of the Day #9: “Angst in my Pants” – Sparks (1982, Atlantic Records)

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...OAoOvesq4P_1Uw

The 11th Album my American rock band Sparks, a Los Angeles band that began in 1972 by brothers Ron (keyboard) and Russell Mael (vocals).

Angst in my pants – BONER. Funny little song.
    I predict – List of a few funny situations, self-aware power pop group. “and this song will fade out”. Simple synth noises add to the charm.
    Sextown USA – not weird al levels, but this is a dang fun song. Cruise an 80’s beach with this blaring.
    Sherlock Holmes – I wish I was Sherlock Holmes : ( Then the ladies would love me. Simple pop tune, guitar/drums/1-2 synth noises.
    Nicotina – OH dang, instrumentals already the most catching of the album. The rapid beating synths x pretty great electric guitar riffing, great chord progressions and a catchy lyrical theme. Then ending CHORUS peak. Very strong outing, definitely woke me up.
    Mickey Mouse –SNES/GBA French horn FTW. Gets a 10/10 just for that. Has the great energy from the previous song, cheesy lyrics that are fun/catchy to be with.
    Moustache – I wish I had 100 hairs. : ( Then the ladies would love me. Can’t tell if this second half is genuinely better, or Nicotina just suddenly got me into this, but I’m having fun. Nice electric guitar riffing in there, simple fun lyrics.
    Instant Weight Loss – A parody of one of those cheesy exercise video songs. Beat certainly sounds like it would go over one of those. In that case, good job.
    Tarzan and Jane – Unsettling guitar chords/howling vocals cool. *shrugs
    The Decline and Fall of Me – Relatable lyrics. I would love to check out your frozen pizza collection Mael. Kinda sad lyrics. Don’t fade from me Mael…your cheesy/simple, but I like having fun and simple sometimes.
    Eaten by the Monster of Love – Mael’s voice reminds me of Rusty from Squidbillies…good short song, nice metaphor.

“Angst in my Pants” is a fun 80’s pop rock album with a few catchy lyrics and even a great synth/electric guitar line here and there. Not a stand out of the era by any means, but still an uplifting quick album. May be a little cheesy to some, but most I feel will enjoy the fun friendly lyrics it has to say.

Blog Entries

1010011010’s Albums of the Week: #10-16:

Had nothing to say about alot of these + felt pretty crappy for most of the week, bleehhhgh, whine, noise. geh.

#10: “Tonight’s The Night” – Neil Young (1975, Reprise Records)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...UztA5cD_iIq_k-

The 6th studio album by Canadian musician Neil Young, instrumentals by The Santa Monica Flyers, ft. The Stray Gators and Crazy Horse on Lookout Joe and Come on Baby Lets Go Downtown respectively.

Killer blues rock album, my Dad would always listen to this kind of music on the car radio or his speakers at home so have a special nostalgic love for blues and rock. …That’s all I got, a lot of great piano and guitar playing, highly enjoyable album.

Fav: “Come on Baby Let’s Go Downtown”. Kickass guitar riffing, enormously catchy beat and chorus vocal lines.

#11: “Graceland” by Paul Simon (1986, Warner Bros)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGEz...-&index=2&t=0s

Simon’s 7th solo studio album. I’m amazed by how many genres this album mixes, the range of instrumentation throughout from accordion to sax, and of course that beautiful African chorus. Genuinely amazing album.

Fav: You Can Call Me Al was the catchiest, love the synth chords and dat flute SOLO. Might have to with Homeless though, I really do love the African choir in this album, and they came out the best here, such a beautiful sound.

#12: “Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)” by Wu-Tang Clan (1993, Louds Records)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...4D0C2E34E3FB80

The debut album by American hip hop group Wu-Tang Clan (RZA, GZA, Ol’ Dirty Bastard, Method Man, Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, Inspectah Deck, U-God, and Masta Killa. w/scratching by 4th Disciple).

Well, I can say I understand 10% more of Chappelle’s Show. And that’s ALL I got from this album (leaves angrily).

But yes, very catchy, uplifting album. Using kung fu movie audio clips is a really fun trademark, tons of hawt beats (Chessboxin/CREAM/Protect ya Neck), very clean rap lyrics that felt like were fun to perform (at least 2 mentions of shit stained drawers). …yea I don’t know what I’m saying, especially when trying to talk about rap. Very fun and catchy, I LIKE.

Fav: Tie between Method Man and Tearz. Method Man is very fun and energizing, but I really love the ol’ timey chorus of “happiness leads to tears” in Tearz. Oh yeah, and PROTECC YA NECK.

#13: “Selling England by the Pound” – Genesis (1973, Charisma Records)

The fifth studio album by Genesis, made up of Peter Gabriel (vocals/flute) Tony banks (keyboard/12string guitar) Steve Hackett (electric/nylon guitar) Michael Rutherford (12 string guitar/bass/electric sitar) Phil Collins (drums/percussion).

A very well constructed and played prog rock album, enjoyed this massively. The range of instrumentation, folk references, the fantastic chords and solos given to guitar/piano/organ.

Fav: The Battle of Epping Forest. Would need to listen to this a few times to feel solid about this decision, but I really like the ideas in this 11-minute folk story to prog rock, just not entirely sure if all the details work, but the instrumentation and memorable lyrics (“PIC-NIC” “HAROLD DEMURE FROM ART LITERATURE”) I just FEEL its the best of the album. Also throw in the aftermath song After the Ordeal, a track of just clean melodic guitar and classical style piano. Tasty.

#14: “Heartbeat City” by The Cars (1984, Elektra Records)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyly...c&index=2&t=0s

The 5th studio album by the Cars, formed in 1976 Boston by Ric Ocasek (singer/songwriter), Benjamin Orr (bassist), Elliot Easton (lead guitarist), Greg Hawkes (keyboardist), and David Robinson (drummer).

Solid 80’s rock pop album. Very similar to how I felt about the Sparks album in it being an enjoyable easy listen representative of the genre. Would probably put this over Sparks though, music felt a bit more solid and genuine.

Fav: You Might Think. Enjoy the lower range sounds and I guess “seriousness” in Stranger Eyes and Why Can’t I Have You, but I enjoyed the lyrics and catchiest of You Might Think more.

# 15: “Dispepsi” by Negativland (1997, Seeland Records)

The 8th album by experimental music band Negativland, formed in late 1970’s San Francisco by Mark Hosler, David “The Weatherman” Wills, Peter Conheim and Jon “Wobbly” Leidecker.

Was this what inspired Cc&c? If not, @OSS if you ever make a Cc&c musical or movie, just make it an adaption of this. Would be the most epic YouTube video since NC’s “The Wall” review.

Really loved this, such a unique concept critiquing 90’s soda commercialism, with masterful usage of musique concrete mixed with original lyrical songs. The joyful catchiness x bitter lyrics in “Greatest Taste in the World” and “Aluminum or Glass”. The intense feelings created from “All She Called About” from the growing serious synths over snipped news audio describing the New Coke market campaign, “Voice Inside my Head” about a womans increasingly violent actions after which she’d want a Pepsi, “Bite Back” describing how easy we could control the companies, but the indifference of consumers accepting this company’s propaganda. Fantastic editing of clips and instrumentals by itself, also a neat time capsule of the 90’s soda industry.

Fav: Greatest Taste in the World. “This is brilliant!”

#16: “Is This It” by The Strokes (2001, RCA Records)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHrG...kG5W88S5LTjb_1

The debut album by American rock band The Strokes, formed in 1998 by singer Julian Casablancas, guitarists Nick Valensi and Albert Hammond Jr, bassist Nikolai Fraiture, and drummer Fabrizio Foretti.

Solid 00’s garage band/punk music, songs mainly about drug and relationship problems, unable to fix yourself, set to dem early 00’s grainy filtered vocals. Lyrics were pretty solid overall, some good metaphors and a dark undertone to it all. Barely Legal leaned a bit much into creepiness to enjoy (stealing an 18 year olds innocence) but I got the point.

Fav: Hard to Explain. Looove those chorus sections, and the lyrics came out the most genuine.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cam, tyler

Blog Entries

1010011010’s Album of the Day #17: “Blue” by Joni Mitchell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq2j...B&index=2&t=0s

The 4th studio album by Canadian Joni Mitchell.

I wasn’t initially sold on Mitchell’s voice, something about the vibration in her soft voice didn’t sit right, but by the end I can completely attest that her singing was well utilized and beautiful. Her voice perfectly translates Mitchell’s feelings of beauty and sadness and anger, and at its most calling out and clear, a voice of sweet beauty.

Instrumentation in these 10 tracks are pretty much limited to either piano or guitar with Mitchell’s singing. Only songs that break from this I can remember is the dulcimer in All I want and the female choir/bongos in Carey. Simple instrumental melodies, but still very beautiful and serve to heighten Mitchell’s lyrics, many about the sadness of break up, traveling, depression over not feeling good enough.

Fav: The Last Time I Saw Richard. I was interested while listening to this album, but there was something about this last track that felt especially powerful. Nearly teared up not gonna lie. It is a very sad song, the loss of true love and innocence. The delivery of her rejection of that in her final verse (“I'm gonna blow this damn candle out/ I don't want nobody comin' over to my table/ I got nothing to talk to anybody about/ All good dreamers pass this way some day”) easily the authentic and emotional of the whole album.

Honorable mentions I’ll give to Carey (love the choir/bongo use in that) and River. Would have to listen to the earlier tracks again now that I can appreciate Mitchell’s voice, but I stand by Richard, best lyrics, delivery, and piano usage.

A good, sad, beautiful album.

1010011010’s Album of the Day # 18: “Let it Be” – The Replacements (1984, Twin/Tone Records)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln3i...Q&index=2&t=0s

The third studio album by American rock band The Replacements, who began in 1979 by Paul Westerberg (guitar/vocals), Bob Stinson (guitarist), Tommy Stinson (bass) and Chris Mars (drummer).

Apparently, this album was made in response to their louder/faster previous album (Hootenanny), The Replacements wanting to make songs a bit sincerer. And it shows, “Let It Be” has a lot of that punk rock energy to it, but also several songs that have a bit of a blues/country vibe to them. Best example being We’re Coming Out, the first half being a ferocious cry of the punk feeling, but then suddenly slowing down into a blues esque (sincere) delivery (“one more chance to get it all wrong”) only to rise into their energized punk selves again.

Most of the songs have pretty simple lyrics/messages (half the lyrics in We’re Coming Out just being the title over and over) but they’re still very good messages, especially I loved Androgynous for that, a song mocking the gender boundaries there have been to love.

For a short 30 minute-ish/11 track 80’s rock album, I was surprised by the amount of variety and memorable moments “Let it Be” had. “Seen Your Video” being almost nothing but instrumentals, vocals finally being used in the last 30 seconds to take a piss on the then starting MTV network, driving their message of music being more important than the video advertising. The madness in the last part of Answering Machine layering a tape recording voice over to drown out Westerbergs voice and guitar (speaking of that, how many songs have there been with just voice and electric guitar? Literally can’t recall any atm besides this. Very cool empty effect). Many of the songs having genuine, relatable messages (Unsatisfied, Favorite thing) but the band also showing a good sense of humor (Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out, Gary’s Got a Boner).

“Let It Be” is a very solid rock album with a lot of range.

Fav: Tie between Answering Machine and Androgynous. Enjoy the emptiness of the electric guitar/vocal combo conveying the emptiness of talking to an Answering Machine, and the ending cacophony. Just really like the lyrics for Androgynous, the ol’ time filtered piano suits them well. OH and Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out, very fun quick song, can easily imagine the dentist from Little Shop of Horrors singing it.

...jeffersons cock

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cam

Blog Entries

36 chambers was a album i kinda soured on for a couple years and looking back i'm not sure why ? it's not like a masterpiece and it's not like one of my all time favorites that it used too be, but the 2nd half of the album is honestly so good, and even though the first half kinda sucks, bring da ruckus is like one of the best album intros. it's also just a really unique sounding album, especially at the time, all the film samples and the insane drums, and also the extremely good synth line in 7th chamber part 2 ? so good lol.

i do probably prefer liquid swords and maaaybe only built 4 Cuban linx though, but it's not as one sided as i used to think.

Blog Entries

also let it be is great but i definitely prefer pleased to met me and maybe even Tim ? it's been a while so i give those 3 albums relistens too solidify that.

The Shreksophone song!

Blog Entries

1010011010’s album of the day #19: “Treats” by Sleigh Bells (2010, Mom+Pop and N.E.E.T. Records)

The debut album of the noise rock duo Sleigh Bells, formed in 2008 New York by vocalist Alexis Krauss and guitarist Derek Edward Miller.

Great dance music. Can easily picture this playing at a club at full volume and having a great time. The beats and lyrics are uplifting and empowering, the basses are APLENTY and forceful, so many bassey noises to mindlessly groove to.

The songs aren’t very lyric heavy, though I doubt they’re supposed to be. There are two songs that seemed lyric driven (Rill Rill and Crown on the Ground) which do show off some solid writing, enjoy the metaphors in Rill and how Crown on the Ground is challenging a pretentious person. Like the interpretation that the ahs in that song are referencing once they take their crown off, all they can say is ah.

A lot of ahs/ohs in this album actually, at least 20% of the lyrics. Yet the album still creates plenty of good feelings. The desperation in Rachel using tense synths and airy vocals. The way punk rock comes through in Straight A’s, Treats, and Infinity Guitars, noises surrounding the guitar chords and vocals really come through.

An album that makes the listener feel uplifted and a bit rebellious. A nice rhythmic, electronic album.

Best: Crown on the Ground. Though the guitar motif in Infinity Guitars will always stick with me. Heard it first on the Simpsums video for Every Mans Dream over the Girls credits. …very obscure place to first hear that. Just assumed it was the Girls intro. Its not, though the show has used Sleigh Bells music before. And apparently Childish Gambino has sampled from several of these songs…uh BYE.

1010011010’s album of the day #20: “E MO TION” by carly rae Jepsen (2015, 604/School Boy/Interscope Records)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE2q...Z&index=2&t=0s

The third studio album by Canadian singer Carly Rae Jepsen.

Run away with me – LOVE that synth sax riff. Feels like the catchy/fun pop of the 00’s mixed with some 80’s/indie synths. I wish I could run away with you : ( would love to run away.
    EMOTION – JUST realized carly was the one that made Call Me Maybe. The opening talk singing is very similar.
    I really like you – FUCK OFF VRBO. Def heard this on the radio. Not bad tho, this is very good pop music. Very catch chorus section. I REALLY like u. like quiet whisper line. Apparently considered the weakest on the album. Is a bit close to her last hit I guess.
    Gimmie love – hard part about pop songs is I immediately write off the emotion of these songs. Which…yea I don’t really hear any so far. She sings very nice, not too breathy, clear alto. Lyrics fine, a lot of repetition for hooks, but it has some content.
    All that – ive def heard 2 other lighthouse refs in the albums ive heard for these posts. Time to make a lighthouse count? Mimics 80s slow songs, its fine.
    Boy problem – bopper. Big bopper in the morning. “he’ll make it rain anyway” solid.
    Making the most of the night – dem…diminished 7th chords? 7 dimished? The minor parts on the chorus. Fucking love that in songs. Immediately makes this my favorite so far. Hijack you is a good line too. Please hijack me carly. Or anyone really. Love that scream before the final chorus section. Now THIS is The bopper.
    Your type – pre good pre chorus section “I love you Im sorry im sorry I love you” catchy. Repeat two verses three times. Rinse repeat. Same message as let it go basically. Not the girlfriend for you anway.
    Lets Get Lost – of the pop singers I constantly listened to inadvertedly in high school (2012-16 era) gonna assume carly was my favorite. will take over one directions 2 songs at least. Lets get lost, keep our fingers crossed. That’s about it. alright, some sax. Whisper response chorus decent. Followed by screaming sax.
    LA Hallucinations – the black hole of having too much money. Whine. Catchy still. Buzzfeed buzzards and tmz crows. Will call them that from now on.
    Warm blood – co written by vampire weekend multi instrumentalist rostam batmanglij. Not sure how I feel about the lowered pitch “falling for you” vocals. Does create the unsettling feeling of not being able to control how one feels. Muted bridge about warm blood pumping cool. Most interesting song of the album, I’ll give it that. The beat is a heart, I get it!
    When I needed you – someone make a remix of this with the Arthur theme. Have the EXACT same beat and bass…not sure why that was my immediate first thought. More 80’s influences. Synths definitely 80’s, slightly more interesting instrumentation than typical pop music. Tho singing/lyrics aren’t bad either.
    Black heart – I like this. The quick responses in the pre chorus sections, good metaphors (cutting through cracks in concrete) pixel synths. Nice work greg wells.
    I didn’t just come here to dance – another song repeating lyrics twice and a half. Like the 8 bit synth countermelody in the chorus sections. That’s very nice. Catchy song.
    Favourite color – never seen favorite spelled like that. Like slower beat/some seriousness. “paint me up, me up”. Ooh vocoder. Or just synths matching her vocal line. Cool effect either way. Color blue to show unsureness. Symbolic.
    Never get to hold – japan exclusive bonus track eh? How specific. Love song. Catchy. POP.
    Love again – another japan exclusive. Minor synths mm. I too can love again maybe. Thank you carly. Actually catchy good ending to the album.

A very consistently strong pop album. I’m not exactly the biggest fan of pop music, even with liking pretty much all of these songs, I cynically want to say she blends in with the dozens of other female pop singers on the radio. But even feeling that, this album is just so consistent, I could imagine pretty much any of these songs being a lesser artists only hit. An impressive well made album, the 80’s music inspirations aren’t everywhere but come out great when relied upon, a good un.

Fav: Making the Most of the Night. Great instrumentals (marimba(?), synth chords) and a memorable hook. When I Needed You, Black Heart, and Love Again also great songs.

1010011010’s album of the day #21: “Vs.” by Mission of Burma (1982, Ace of Hearts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Ge...z&index=2&t=0s

The debut album of post punk band Mission of Burma (and their only full length album until reuniting in 2002), formed in 1979 Boston by Roger Miller (guitar), Clint Conley (bass), Peter Presecott (drums) and Martin Swope (tape/sound engineer).

Solid rock album, mix of punk lyrics and crunchy sounding guitar with a chaotic rock n roll vibe (the chaotic drum rhythms in Secrets, Fun World featuring a guitar playing only harmonic notes). I love when Burma really lets loose (the insane guitar and vocal delivery in Learn How, “EVERY RAW MATERIAL”). A few moments playing with synths (the Atari esque oscillating synth in Weatherbox). Solid post punk album, has a nice raw quality to these recordings, bringing some excellent guitar/drum/bass playing and a few memorable lyrics.

Fav: New Nails and Mica. Like the frantic vibe of nails, and the talking before and after this song condemning religion (the headphones are too fuckin loud!). Mica I enjoyed the effect of the unevenly layered vocals, fantastic guitar/bass, and like the line “a ball of mica inside a rock”.

1010011010’s album of the day #22: “Van Halen” by Van Halen (1978, Warner Bros)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VFJ...L&index=2&t=0s

Debut album of American rock band Van Halen, formed in 1972 California by Eddie Van Halen (guitar), Alex Van Halen (drummer), David Lee Roth (vocalist), and Michael Anthony (bass).

A solid, classic rock and roll album. Not much for me to really say about it. Everything is played professionally and gets across the empowering, lively feelings rock and roll should give, just makes me wish I could hear this live instead. A lot of the lyrics about the feeling of love and women. Some felt a little weird to me (Jamie’s Cryin’ about a woman regretting a one night stand over a typical energized rock beat) but could be misreading it. A few really cool stand outs, the “whocka” guitar sound motif in Atomic Punk (made using a Dunlop MXR Phase 90! …a pedal spreading the velocity of the guitar), the band scatting together near the end of I’m the One, did not expect that out of a Van Halen song.

Solid well-made rock and roll music. Standard, cool, rock.

Fav: Little Drummer, enjoy the lyrics and harmonies for it. For Eddie’s guitar shredding, Eruption is great just to hear him show himself off. Ice Cream Man is also cool, the transition from an acoustic blues cover of a John Brim song to the bands rock style.

Blog Entries

I discovered Billie Holiday's music a little over an hour ago and I'm entranced. Such a beautiful voice.

Pink floyd on PBS for FREE. Come get me Betty White.
    Blood for Baal! Blood for Baal! Blood for Baal!

schmoooood

Blog Entries

One of the best on the album. Simple but sweet.

The new Pearl Jam album surprised me by being pretty good consistently throughout

Joe Swanson ©tormented OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm listening to Joey Ramone's album Don't Worry About Me. Still one of the greatest voices of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Your Neighborhood Average Joe Purpleberries's Avatar

The Weeknd's new album

probably some of the best work he has put out since the Trilogy era

Thread Information