View Poll Results: How would you rate: "The Book Job" ?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Hardcover Omnibus

69 41.82%
  • 4/5: A fine treatise of a Crime

52 31.52%
  • 3/5: It's a Book

25 15.15%
  • 2/5: Authortorial Hack

14 8.48%
  • 1/5: Twilight

5 3.03%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "The Book Job" (NABF22)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    What's with the "really short openings" (and no gags over the title) lately?
    Its a good thing... it means they're actually writing more content instead of relying on a ridiculously long intro/couch gag to eat up minutes.

Blog Entries

And the most brilliant part is... I don't even know how to read!

Holy crap, let Matt Selman showrun The Simpsons from now on. It's not classic, but it's entertaining and funny again!

I always give my page turning finger a brief lick before it goes into action,.. fyi
    I licked this episode a lot. It was almost more fun than book reading. 5/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneFamous View Post
    Well theres Hulu, or just torrent it or search for it, I mean come on, its 2011 man!
    Eh, yeah, I never thought of Hulu.

Damn, by the looks of the poll results, this is the episode I shouldn't have missed.

Boy, I really enjoyed this episode. The atmosphere was great (and I loved the combination of: Skinner, Frink, Patty, Moe, Bart, Homer and Gaiman --> even Lisa was somewhat part of their group in the end). I really laughed at the joke with Moe's green troll blood. And that small part at the end between Moe and Gaiman on the beach of Shelbyville was great too. 15/20

Hm, that was actually pretty good. Nothing about it really annoyed me about it but I kinda wished that the jokes were funnier. 2.5/5

Blog Entries

Matt Selman for Showrunner !

Another good episode for this season.
    So Matt Selman showran it ? He did the 2 best episodes of this season so far.

I liked the plot, the structure of this episode was very novel, Homer was pretty good for once , in brief it wasn't boring at all, but very entertaining.
    Neil Gaiman was an excellent guest star ! I also enjoyed to see Patty, Moe, Lenny, (Homer, Bart & Lisa) Skinner and the professor Frink together.
    The beginning with the dinosaurs was nice, I liked all the "NO FAIR !".
    The recruitment part was really funny :

-Do you have a computer ?
    -Eh, hum, yes...
    -You're in.
    -In what ?

I also liked when they were imagining the story of their book :

...The music throughout this episode was awesome. (what is the name of this music?)

And the whole part when they were writing their book, whereas Lisa was cleaning her window, was superb.

I'm just a bit disappointed by the end, Neil Gaiman stealing the place of Lisa and poisoning Moe... (but great line, "I don't even know how to read !")
    But overall, very good episode. 4/5
    Last edited by Blobulle; 11-21-2011 at 05:33 AM.

I loved it. I can relate so, so much to how Lisa kept finding ways to avoid writing her book. Dear lord, I've been there.

Also, the format used reminds of the episode 24 minutes. In a good way.

Loved it!
    Last edited by MagicMeg; 11-21-2011 at 05:39 AM.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Blog Entries

You know what... still nowhere near classic status, but I did laugh out loud a fair few times. Bravo, Selman. Gaiman's reading was fantastic, and he was animated really well too.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode was just plain fun and definitely the best of the season. I really enjoyed the heist film atmosphere and the music, and whilst relatively low on jokes the story still managed to be entertaining. There was some stuff that was hard to believe, like Moe writing some novels and having green blood, and Lisa was kinda annoying at points. Plus the beginning with the dinosaurs was kinda weird. But once this got going it was surprisingly strong, for current Simpsons. 3/5 and B-
    Last edited by c l o n e; 01-25-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Here it is, the episode every says is great so I just have to watch it... And you know, it wasn't classic, I'll probably never watch it again, but fair is fair: that wasn't all that bad.

Some poor stuff, 'jokes' going on too long etc. But Neil Gaiman was a classic, properly used guest star: they actually made fun of him, he appeared in more than one scene, and his performance was fantastic. He did still just appear from nowehere for no reason and they did fawn over him a little bit initially, but I'll let it slide. The First Act actually had something to do with the main plot, the episode was pretty well thought out and plotted. And I laughed, and not just the standard zero times. It wasn't that memorable or really all that funny, but there wasn't actually anything outwardly offensive.

I don't particularly like Selman (at least based on the way he comes across in interviews and the commentaries) but here's hoping he usurps Jean. It wasn't great and it never will be again, but this is better than most of the recent morsels that have fallen off the decaying corpse that is this show.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mirkin, 1995
    I think at the end of the eighth season, we'll all have to sit down, make sure the show is still fresh. Make sure that's it's not repeating itself or falling into a formula and you know...It's very possible that we'll still have energy after eight seasons, but hopefully it will always be a decision of quality, to make sure we are not lowering the quality just to make a little bit more money.

I Just Want My Kids Back EthanRunt's Avatar

Well done Dan Vebber, one of the most consistently hysterical, interesting, entertaining episodes in years, I think the only joke that didn't work as well as it should have was Gaiman's American accent beat, but that showed he was game at the very least.
    Great style, genius notion, lots of fun, good use of characters, although Frink was wasted, but just so bloody funny through and through. Loved it.

RIP:Bob the Streetcat 6/15/20 D DEBBS's Avatar

The moment the Simpsons were in that dinosaur museum, I expected a Barney gag and I was right!

I could have told Lisa that these days, authors have ghostwriters do their work: the 'Sweet Valley High' and 'Flowers In The Attic' trash (and I do mean trash) series were NOT written by either VC Andrews nor Francine Pascal in later years.

Banned

I would first of start by saying that this is by far the best episode of season 23 thus far. It was entertaining enough and the plot was pretty decent however it was disappointing that the show just can't be consistently funny anymore, and only once in this episode did I properly laugh:

*Homer and Bart standing at Professor Frink's door*

Homer: "You have a computer?"
    Frink: "Ya uhm yes"
    Homer: "You're in"
    Frink: "In what?"

The rest was just entertaining I guess but it still has too many wacky and zany moments in it. I mean this was a big improvement on recent Simpsons episodes but it's still a pale pale imitation of what Homer et al used to be like, particularly tragic that Lisa has become such an annoying character. Also I don't know about anyone else but surely they could have fitted a joke or some funny dialogue between Skinner and Patty about the time they went out 22 odd years ago and how they've both never aged and/or how being with him might have made her a lesbian or something. Anyway I think a 3/5 and a 6/10 is fair. Deserves a pass but by what should be the shows high standards, it's not a great pass.
    Last edited by Bleedin' Gums Murphy; 11-21-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

My apologies for not being here last night, my internet crapped out Saturday and was only restored a few hours ago. Ironically, or perhaps just coincidentally(or perhaps neither), the people who are usually harder on modern Simpsons actually kinda like this one while I, who am normally very soft on the series, did not care much for it. My main problem I suppose is I just watched it last night and remember basically nothing about it, which doesn't happen for me very often. It wasn't really funny and I had only a slight interest in the plot. Basically I kinda feel like the episode was just "there." I remember thinking throughout I bet I'd enjoy this more if I got the movie references I assume all those montages were from. I won't say it was bad or anything as it wasn't, but I definitely preferred last week's episode and probably liked every episode this season so far at least as much as this one except the Halloween show. My opinion can change and I hope it does(for the better) after a re-watch, but 3/5 seems fair for now.

PS: I liked Neil Gaiman's initial scene but not much from him after, and I knew we'd have no opening again. I would honestly prefer one but won't actually complain as at least a lack of one shows the episode had a lot of time spent on it, as has been said.

hidle-onar-takan-thran Toomanygrandmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bah. I've been meaning to getting around to write a long review for both 'Replaceable You' and 'The Food Wife', but like Lisa in this episode, I've procrastinated, and now 'The Book Job' has aired, and I need to (or more like want to) write a big ol' long review for all of them. B'oh.

Anway, what about the episode itself? 'The Book Job' was actually reasonably decent. Unlike the other episodes this season, this episode didn't really have any major issues. The premise was decent, and the plot was executed quite well. I'm know little about the publishing industry, but the messages seemed to ring true. The whole 'crime' feeling to the episode was interesting, though I do feel that it broke up the episode, into what sometimes felt like separate clips. Interesting, nonetheless. I also liked the gang getting protective over their idea, after it gets changed by the publisher. Also, unlike some of the episodes this season, this episode actually had a few moments to smile, or even laugh at. I thought Neil Gaiman was a good guest star, and I liked his last line about not being able to read. Even though it was a strange start, there were also a number of amusing moments at the dinosaur show. All in all, as I said, there weren't really many major issues with this episode. The writing group was a bit random, I guess, and the characters of the members of the group weren't really utilised much, but at the end of the day, it didn't bug me too much.

Overall, not a bad episode, and probably the season's best.
    3/5
    Last edited by Toomanygrandmas; 11-22-2011 at 06:59 AM.
    Poochie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine

I enjoyed it. I gave it a 4/5.

We're out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubb! View Post
    She's just an actress they used for the cover anyway...
    Seriously, you expect these newer writers to follow the show's canon? Nope.

There were a few funny jokes that saved me from rating this a solid 1/5. So, for a "meh" episode, a "meh" rating: 2/5

So, uh, when did Lisa develop ADD... and hasn't she written a book before?
    Newer writers?

Valentina Garza's been on staff for 5 years, and she was the last one hired. Matt Selman's been on for 15 and still going. None of the writers on the show are "new", certainly not Dan Vebber, who first joined Futurama almost 13 years ago.

thoroughly enjoyed this episode, felt the beginning was fairly disjointed although still enjoyable. I will echo others in that finally a guest star has been used properly, the ending line was delivered superbly. solid 4.5/5. round up to a 5.

formerly shutupa yo face moneychair2003's Avatar

5/5. As a starving artist/wannabe writer, it was a great episode. Loved the whole "Italian Job" aspect of it. Loved the writers block, outline of the book, R.L. Stein Goosebumps joke, Moe bleeding like a troll, "I want a paleontologist", and the Stephen King joke was genius.
    Check out my NFL blog. I write articles about every upcoming match, my predictions for those matches, what games are worth watching, and about everything else happening in the NFL. http://backbayfuturesportsmanagers.com/

http://www.reddit.com/user/ac519/

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

My only complaint was listing "Sandman" for Neil Gaiman's work because it is to obvious. They should have gone for one of his lesser works.

• Souvenirus Rex. Wow this was actually worth taking up the whole screen?
    • Surprised the Harry Potter parody came back up. Now it would be called Barry Blotter or something similar.
    • What was the point of watching Marge empty her cooking ingredients? Are we supposed to laugh because uh... we heard the door close? All this did was detract attention from the main part of the scene.
    • They introduced two random character backstory elements in a row: Patty is now a fantasy buff and Moe has published several children's books? Once is enough but twice in a row is pushing it.
    • "Do you have a computer?" Yes, but so do you. You had three laptops in the previous episode. In fact Lisa has one in the next scene.
    • I laughed at Bart using the sound effect book but then he reuses it on screen to show the viewer. Thanks writers; I would not have understood otherwise and exposing the joke allows me to laugh at it.
    • The king of fantasy books? Yeah, no. Wait, they're at the publisher and he's still in the episode. What?
    • Please, no more puns. Please writers. "How to train your dragon tattoo". You're killing me.
    • I actually laughed at Skinner's little pizza bit.
    • Episode went off the deep end with their attempt to "fix" the book, though. It was completely ridiculous and very much a case of "What the hell am I watching?"
    • "I got the idea from every movie ever made." Heh.

Seriously, it really could have done without the celebrity. I don't care about this person one bit so watching him being the buttmonkey for an episode didn't amuse me in the slightest.
    I have to say, though, I did appreciate the comparison between Lisa and the writing team. Procrastination and promises of doing something after a never-ending list of tasks is completed is something with which I can empathise. This made Lisa feel like an actual person rather than just a springboard for jokes which is how most of the characters are treated now. In fact, the characterisation of Lisa in general in this episode seemed to be relatively good for Zombie Simpsons. I'd easily believe that Lisa would want to publish a book and despite any hiccups in morality would eventually do the right thing.

Apart from that, I didn't enjoy this. Based on the overall feedback though, maybe the Simpsons is just not for me any more. Oh well.
    Last edited by Mr. Krikt; 11-21-2011 at 04:00 PM.

@Blobulle : Where do you take this picture ? (screenshot ???)

Official criticism:

First, I must say this is a really good episode but not excellent. It is below my expectations but not really the top either. The beginning of the episode was still good with still a good way to introduce the story we will follow throughout the episode. I love when Bart and Homer tries to bring people from Springfield to write their novel. I also liked when they try to find a good script for future novel and I think it forms a nice little team. However, I do not see what the guest of this episode "Neil Gaiman" got to do. It does not at all something and does not advance the story. I even think that the episode would be better without I'm. After that the publishers decided to change the novel, I think the episode is a little waste but in the end, it becomes a little better because that Lisa has saved the situation. However, I do not understand why she has been terminated if she wanted the real version of the novel is published. In short, a really good episode and I decided after much hesitation between 4 and 4,5 to give a 4/5.

Officials rates :

The falcon and the d'ohman : 2,5/5
    Bart stops to smell the Roosevelts : 3/5
    Treehouse of horror XXII : 2/5
    Replaceable you : 4/5
    The food wife : 3,5/5
    The book job : 4/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Smiley View Post
    My only complaint was listing "Sandman" for Neil Gaiman's work because it is to obvious. They should have gone for one of his lesser works.
    what an insane nitpick

that's like having art spiegelman guest star and introducing him as the editor of raw magazine instead of author of maus

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe it was the hype, but I didn't find it that great or funny. The whole set up seemed a little forced to me and I felt the music montages ate big parts of the episode. I kinda enjoyed The Food Wife more.

There were some very good moments, though, and at least it was creative.

I thought Neil Gaiman was very funny, also Moe's role, "You're in" "In what?" and "This is so untrolly" were really good lines, but other moments seemed a little dull to me.

I'm not sure whether I liked Lisa's role or not. It was a realistic behaviour and an interesting twist, but I'm not sure if it was totally in character for Lisa.

I liked that they used a group of secondaries, but they didn't do a lot with them, except for Moe.

Overall it was good, but I've seen better even in HD Simpsons. I still think it was second best this season after The Food Wife and better than a lot of previous season, so Matt Selman as showrunner seems like an interesting idea.

4/5
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Krikt View Post
    [list][*]"Do you have a computer?" Yes, but so do you. You had three laptops in the previous episode. In fact Lisa has one in the next scene.
    This line annoyed me a little as well. It should have been "are you good with computers?" "yes."

Minor nitpick though.

Banned

this episode was awesome, one of the best in years. awesome plot, good use of minor characters, homer cracked my shit up, great character interaction, good use of guest stars, interesting plot, screw the audience moments, good use of satire. after 23 seasons this proves right here the simpsons can still entertain. id go as far to call this a modern classic. 5/5

i didnt llike it, the premise about the best selling book being all fake was good but IDK, lisa was annoying from the moment the episode started towards the end, Homer was annoying too, and honestly I liked the guest stars the best specially the write one, was the only funny part.

And now they have a million dollars which will disappear next episode
    Having such a vast vocabulary really embiggens my pride

4>3>2>6>7>5>8>9>1>10>12>11>14>15>16>13> the rest I don't know how to organize but they share the quality of not being as good as S13 to me

hidle-onar-takan-thran Toomanygrandmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Burns View Post
    And now they have a million dollars which will disappear next episode
    Bart ripped up the cheque though, when he found out what the publishers were doing to the book.

Please tell me this is them making fun of Fox and the episodes are going to be good from now on instead of being crap and being linked to other Fox shows every other episode. This one was ok I guess... 3.5... being generous.

Thread Information