Thread: episodes you believe ripped off an episode of another tv show

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

episodes you believe ripped off an episode of another tv show

How the Test Was Won comes to mind for me because the subplot involving Homer trying to prevent injuries at his home until an insurance payment clears had been done before in an episode of King of the Hill "Mutual of Omabwah" and also Malcolm in the Middle "Health Insurance".
    Last edited by biffwestwood; 09-17-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Hungry Are The Damned totally ripped off The Twilight Zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Blog Entries

Father Knows Worst ripped of the simpsons

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

the simpsons is all about "ripping off" things from other things. don't complain about it.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Zombies Rise from the Sea

"Replacable You"

Nuff' said.

Dividing by Zero ...$slkdafjk

Quote Originally Posted by biffwestwood View Post
    How the Test Was Won comes to mind for me because the subplot involving Homer trying to prevent injuries at his home until an insurance payment clears had been done before in an episode of King of the Hill "Mutual of Omabwah" and also Malcolm in the Middle "Health Insurance".
    ... only those episodes were a lot funnier than HtTWW. There are a boatload of rip-offs from the Simpsons, but most of them are actually better than what they ripped it off from.

Many THOH episodes ripped off the twlight zone.

Blog Entries

from joke to sincere in 6 posts

Blog Entries

anyway come to think of it I think "mom and pop art" is a little too similar to the doug episode "doug's a genius" in that both doug and homer's accidental mishaps are mistaken for works of art by a bunch of phonies

but I don't think the basic concept (hurrr modern art is bad) is unique to doug. it's rather hacky in both instances

Hercules Rockefeller

Ironically, the Simpsons actually seems to be the one who copies South Park.

Christian Rock Hard - The boys get in trouble with the FBI for piracy
    Steal This Episode - Homer gets in trouble with the FBI for piracy

Casa Bonita - Butters goes missing after ending up in a bunker and a searching party is organized
    Gone Boy - Bart goes missing after ending up in a bunker and a searching party is organized

Make Love, Not Warcraft - The boys become addicted to an online role playing game
    Marge Gamer - Marge becomes addicted to an online role playing game

The Jeffersons - An episode about Mr. Jefferson acting like a child when he is a grown man
    Bart's New Friend - An episode about Homer acting like a child when he is a grown man

Still love all those Simpsons episodes though
    Last edited by Homer Samson; 08-04-2019 at 01:43 PM.

It's a parody show.
    They don't rip anything off.

Not a full episode, but the old THOH segment where Homer becomes the grim reaper was very similar to an early Family Guy episode that aired a few years before it. Of course, I imagine the concept of "filling in for Death" had been done before Family Guy did it (though I can't name any specific examples). It strikes me as a story that a lot of writers may come up with though, without wanting to rip something else off or even knowing about another work doing a similar story; a case of parallel development. Still, given how soon it came after that Family Guy episode, perhaps there should've been more awareness of it.

Funnily enough, in that segment Marge advises Bart to "run like the wind", pronouncing "wind" to rhyme with "find" (thus changing its meaning and botching the expression). A later episode of Family Guy has Carter make the same mispronunciation for what is basically an identical joke. I've wondered if that was an intentional dig by ripping off a joke from that segment, or a similar case of parallel development with the further coincidence of copying a Simpsons segment that was possibly itself a case of parallel development.
    A little less Generic than before.

Quote Originally Posted by biffwestwood View Post

There are a few episodes of The Simpsons that remind me of King of the Hill episodes.

I'm not saying one show ripped off the other, but here are similar episodes with their original air dates:

A Firefighting We Will Go (KOTH - early '99): One of the best episodes of the series, it has Hank and his friends serve as volunteer firefighters.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0620190/?ref_=ttep_ep10

Crook and Ladder (The Simpsons - mid '07): Homer, Apu, Skinner and Moe become volunteer firefighters.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1017618/?ref_=ttep_ep19

The King of the Hill episode is definitely better in this case, although I don't mind the similar Simpsons episode.

Escape From Party Island (KOTH, early '99): Hank drives his mother and her friends around during Spring Break.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0620220/?ref_=ttep_ep17

Kill the Alligator and Run (The Simpsons, mid 2000): The Simpsons visit Florida during Spring Break.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0701143/?ref_=ttep_ep19

I'd give the King of the Hill episode the edge here, although I don't particularly like either one.

Death and Taxes (KOTH, mid '99): Peggy is tricked into believing that a convict is a former student of hers.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0763466/?ref_=ttep_ep22

Pokey Mom (The Simpsons, early 2001): Marge helps a convict get a job, only for him to torch Skinner's car.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0701197/?ref_=ttep_ep10

I'd say these episodes are about equally good. They're both okay... neither is anything too special.

It's Not Easy Being Green (KOTH, early 2001): Hank, Bill and Dale try to prevent Boomhauer from finding out that they had drowned his car in a local quarry years ago.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0620249/?ref_=ttep_ep17

The Blunder Years (The Simpsons, late 2001): Homer finds out what horrifying thing he had seen in a quarry many years ago.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0701226/?ref_=ttep_ep5

I prefer The Blunder Years out of these two.

Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C and Propane (KOTH, late 2003): Hank gets to live his dream of being a trucker when he has to transport his mother's furniture to Arizona; he takes bobby with him and his friends sneak along for the ride.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0620260/?ref_=ttep_ep7

Maximum Homerdrive (The Simpsons, early 1999): Homer decides to deliver a deceased trucker's cargo and takes Bart with him.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0781979/?ref_=ttep_ep17

Both are solid to good episodes. I like the KOTH one a bit more.

If it seems like I like King of the Hill more than The Simpsons, that's mainly because the Simpsons episodes from these sets are Scully or post Scully era episodes.
    Last edited by HitoftheMillennium; 08-04-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HitoftheMillennium View Post
    Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C and Propane (KOTH, late 2003): Hank gets to live his dream of being a trucker when he has to transport his mother's furniture to Arizona; he takes bobby with him and his friends sneak along for the ride.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0620260/?ref_=ttep_ep7

Maximum Homerdrive (The Simpsons, early 1999): Homer decides to deliver a deceased trucker's cargo and takes Bart with him.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0781979/?ref_=ttep_ep17

Both are solid to good episodes. I like the KOTH one a bit more.
    Except The Simpsons did the "trucker" plot BEFORE that King of the Hill episode aired.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Samson View Post
    Ironically, the Simpsons actually seems to be the one who copies South Park.

Christian Rock Hard - Steal This Episode

Casa Bonita - Gone Boy

Make Love, Not Warcraft - Marge Gamer

The Jeffersons - Bart's New Friend

Still love all those Simpsons episodes though
    Eat.Pray,Queef- Bart vs Itchy and Scratchy
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Kill the Alligator and Run ripped off an All in the Family episode when Archie took a similar life expectancy test. It also ripped of the King of the Hill episode about the whooping crane.

Hercules Rockefeller

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookGal View Post
    Eat.Pray,Queef- Bart vs Itchy and Scratchy
    They both are about feminism but they are totally different episodes
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Homerpalooza 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    Hungry Are The Damned totally ripped off The Twilight Zone.
    The Raven is just a play version of Edgar Allen Poe's poem starring Simpsons' characters.
    What makes it a "rip-off"?

Blog Entries

I'll tell you in seven years.

Thread Information