Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

King of the Hill: Most underrated show to make it to the double-digit seasons?

Maybe it's just me, but I just don't feel like it gets the recognition it deserves, especially for a show that lasted 13 seasons. Shows like South Park and especially The Simpsons made it to double digit seasons and they both are very widely recognized as pop culture, so when I hear about King of the Hill lasting that long, it surprises me that it didn't get that much recognition.

I do think that the show did have potential to become a cultural icon, however FOX treated the show like crap. During the show's second season, it moved to the 8:30 timeslot and actually outperformed The Simpsons in the ratings! Then in the third season, FOX moved a popular show to the deathtrap 7:30 timeslot and the ratings went down. Despite being in that timeslot for so long, it managed to somehow get renewed every year. In the 11th season, they tried moving it back to 8:30, but the show hadn't been popular in so long, it didn't get its former recognition back (plus, it wasn't as good). Two seasons later, it ended.

I think that most people associate it with the sub-par midseasons. Seasons 1 to 4 was when the show was at its best and everything was done masterfully - the writing, the artwork, the subtle dry humor. In seasons 5 to 10, the show was still pretty good, but it lost a lot of the versatility it had before. In the final seasons, the show was awful, although not without its moments.

Anybody else think the show doesn't get the appreciation it deserved?
    Last edited by Irvine; 09-12-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

The first 7 seasons of KOTH are the only thing I think that comes close to matching the first 7 seasons of the Simpsons in terms of quality. The show is so underrated even by people who love television. It's weird to me because almost every episode has the feel of a season 2 ish Simpsons episode. Plus the animation on the show is unreal. I'll come back to this thread later tonight when i get off work.

It's because of my love/hate feelings toward King of the Hill that I don't really consider it underrated.

FOX did knock the show around for a long time, but they did the same to Family Guy and Futurama. Those two shows were later able to re-emerge from cancellation and prosper from their identified audiences. King of the Hill fought off cancellation once before ending for good, and even during that time, the show barely went thru any kind of "renewal". Its last-minute revival for Season 11 somehow didn't convince FOX to continue releasing seasons on DVD.

While Family Guy, Futurama, The Simpsons, and South Park have all of their seasons out on DVD, King of the Hill has only had its first six seasons out since 2006. Even if the remaining seasons were to be released, there's no guarantee that they will sell well. Appropriately, the show set out to scale back on the wackiness that seeped into Seasons 5 and 6, but then it went thru sort of an autopilot phase where, unlike the first four seasons, they refused to do anything bold at all.

King of the Hill might be like Arrested Development or The Critic, where in spite of those who've actually seen those shows and love them to death, they simply aren't as popular as some would like them to be.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darren.Erg View Post
    The first 7 seasons of KOTH are the only thing I think that comes close to matching the first 7 seasons of the Simpsons in terms of quality. The show is so underrated even by people who love television. It's weird to me because almost every episode has the feel of a season 2 ish Simpsons episode. Plus the animation on the show is unreal. I'll come back to this thread later tonight when i get off work.
    I know what you mean about the early classic era feel, the humours quite similar. The first few seasons of King of the Hill were funny, and a lot of it was intelligent humour, but I wouldn't rank them as coming anywhere near the standard of quality achieved on The Simpsons, although admittedly coming from across the pond there are probably elements of the show that I entirely missed.

A bad point I find with KOTH is that there isn't the diversity of secondary characters and scenes, although some of them have perhaps more depth as more time was given to focus on them as real people. KOTH often seems to limit itself to stay within its setting, and as a result of this when it has gone for something more unrealistic it can then often become quite awkward. I also find classic era Simpsons to have much more varied humour, more relatable characters and much better parody.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

King of the Hill, like other things Greg Daniels has worked directly on (The Office, Parks and Rec), shows its true strength in its likable, multi-faceted characters and their interactions. I'd say the golden years of the show are actually the first six seasons, with the rest being decent but not great. And compared to Simpsons and South Park, that's actually a very impressive batting average for a 200+ episode run.

I figure KotH is often overlooked for a few reasons:

-Some viewers wrongfully assume it's a bunch of redneck jokes
    -The humor is generally more subdued than what's seen on modern prime-time animation
    -The themes of the show are somewhat old-fashioned and conservative, which could be a turn-off for people that'd rather watch Seth McF--I mean, Brian Griffin bash Christianity for half an hour

...Oh sorry, did that last one come out sounding bitter? My bad.

I don't really mind KotH being overlooked at this point so much. The show had a great, long run and we got the best seasons on DVD (and the rest on Netflix's streaming).
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Quote Originally Posted by Company Picnic View Post
    I know what you mean about the early classic era feel, the humours quite similar. The first few seasons of King of the Hill were funny, and a lot of it was intelligent humour, but I wouldn't rank them as coming anywhere near the standard of quality achieved on The Simpsons, although admittedly coming from across the pond there are probably elements of the show that I entirely missed.

A bad point I find with KOTH is that there isn't the diversity of secondary characters and scenes, although some of them have perhaps more depth as more time was given to focus on them as real people. KOTH often seems to limit itself to stay within its setting, and as a result of this when it has gone for something more unrealistic it can then often become quite awkward. I also find classic era Simpsons to have much more varied humour, more relatable characters and much better parody.
    Well of course it's not at the same level of the Simpsons. I highly doubt that a show will ever be able to reach the heights of the Simpsons in terms of humor, satire, sentiment and interesting characters/plot. I mean some may be able to reach it in one category but not the way The Simpsons blended all of them. But I do think KOTH comes close especially in the first 5 seasons. The show was so realistic and down to earth but also hilarious. The one thing KOTH could never really do was parody just because they weren't really meant to. The show was rooted more in character and subtle humor. There wasn't really any zaniness needed(not that all parodies are zany but they do bring a certain zaniness to them.

I would heavily disagree about your comments on the secondary characters. There is vast amounts of depth given to all the neighbors and even less active people i.e Buck/Redcorn. I would even say the show does just a good of a job with it's outside world as The Simpsons. Could you give an example of what you mean by when they try to do something unrealistic? Again I would argue KOTH's characters are just as relatable to everyone as Simpsons characters and KOTH has a slightly upper hand with Bobby because they're able to do better relationship stories than the ones done with Lisa and Bart. Sometimes I just feel that the Simpsons gets awkward when Lisa/Bart date etc because it's more fit for teenagers etc.

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

King of the Hill is so fucking great. People that say it's not funny have terrible taste, there's so many great, quotable lines in almost every episode

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darren.Erg View Post
    Well of course it's not at the same level of the Simpsons. I highly doubt that a show will ever be able to reach the heights of the Simpsons in terms of humor, satire, sentiment and interesting characters/plot. I mean some may be able to reach it in one category but not the way The Simpsons blended all of them. But I do think KOTH comes close especially in the first 5 seasons. The show was so realistic and down to earth but also hilarious. The one thing KOTH could never really do was parody just because they weren't really meant to. The show was rooted more in character and subtle humor. There wasn't really any zaniness needed(not that all parodies are zany but they do bring a certain zaniness to them.

I would heavily disagree about your comments on the secondary characters. There is vast amounts of depth given to all the neighbors and even less active people i.e Buck/Redcorn. I would even say the show does just a good of a job with it's outside world as The Simpsons. Could you give an example of what you mean by when they try to do something unrealistic? Again I would argue KOTH's characters are just as relatable to everyone as Simpsons characters and KOTH has a slightly upper hand with Bobby because they're able to do better relationship stories than the ones done with Lisa and Bart. Sometimes I just feel that the Simpsons gets awkward when Lisa/Bart date etc because it's more fit for teenagers etc.
    Sorry, I misread your earlier post as 'the first few seasons matching the Simpsons in quality' - I'm not saying I dislike KOTH. It was a quality show, and definitely preferable to the Seth MacFarlane shows given priority in recent years. The first 4 or 5 seasons are very good.

As for my point about the secondary characters - I believe them to be perhaps more realistic and often better fleshed out than the Simpsons, it's just that they don't have the diversity. The Simpsons has such a massive supporting cast of great characters that can feed storylines in unique ways, whereas KOTH doesn't have as many, they concentrated more on developing the characters they had. It's all a matter of opinion on that one as to which one prefers. And yeah, it is a little awkward that Bart and Lisa are not written for their age so well, but their ages were established from the beginning. You just have to forget that. As for episodes that go unrealistic and slightly odd - Peggy Hill: The Decline and Fall.
    Last edited by Company Picnic; 09-13-2011 at 03:17 AM.
    Everything In Its Right Place

Quote Originally Posted by Company Picnic View Post
    - Peggy Hill: The Decline and Fall.
    How is this episode unrealistic and odd? just curious why you would pick that episode.

Even if you found the episode unrealistic in that Peggy fell out of the plane and survived. The following episodes with her and Cotton are among the best of the series. It's the best look into their relationship and added much more depth to it.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Finally, somebody agrees with me on the skydiving story arc. As Old as The Hills was fantastic, Peggy Hill: The Decline and Fall is my favorite episode of the series, Cotton's Plot was stellar. Plus, it made way for season 4 - my favorite season, where every single episode is an absolute gem. I could go on about this all day, lol.

Zombies Rise from the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by irvine_11 View Post
    Finally, somebody agrees with me on the skydiving story arc. As Old as The Hills was fantastic, Peggy Hill: The Decline and Fall is my favorite episode of the series, Cotton's Plot was stellar. Plus, it made way for season 4 - my favorite season, where every single episode is an absolute gem. I could go on about this all day, lol.
    Plus seeing Bobby take care of his baby brother is a definite sweet moment in the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
    Plus seeing Bobby take care of his baby brother is a definite sweet moment in the episode.
    The baby is his uncle.

Blog Entries

And people CAN fall out of an airplane and survive, it's just rare. And hell, they showed all the physical therapy and rehabilitation

Blog Entries

the better question is what actually happened to Good Hank? he just kind of disappeared...

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

He was shown a few times afterwards, wasn't shown again until Luanne and Lucky's wedding, then disappeared for the rest of the series.

King of the Hill was pretty much an ignored cartoon that to me got too little hype. I thought that it could've been promoted more and also have it end earlier and not overstay its welcome.

Lucky was the moment when King of the Hill jumped the shark. Tom Petty was especially an awful choice for voicing the character. Having him evolve as a regular made later seasons really bad.

On a side note, I believe that I have heard rumors that at the height of its popularity that there was going to be a King of the Hill theatrical movie. I know it is too late to make one now but does anyone know if the producers were ever serious about making one?
    Last edited by biffwestwood; 09-14-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Blog Entries

I didn't care for it when it was on because it just seemed too normal compared to the surrealism of the simpsons/futurama. plus the commercials and the occasional episode I'd watch made it seem like literally every episode was just "Hank Worries Bobby Is Gay."

but now I've been watching reruns and I really enjoy the down-the-earthyness and the slower pacing but most of all the way I enjoy the show pokes fun at midwestern america without being callous or disrespecting the characters

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't really agree when people say KOTH is underated. It got plenty of seasons got far more episodes than some more deserving shows, and developed a decent sized and loyal audience. It's not got the same cultural recognition as Simpsons & South Park because it didn't do anything as unique as those shows. It get's exactly the amount of recognition it deserved. It's shitty all it's seasons don't get released on DVD though.

It is weird that it made it as long as it did though, it just kind of went on quietly in the background.

Some of Fox's treatment was probably a little shitty, but I think KOTH more or less got all the success it was ever going to. It was a show that appealed to very specific groups of people and was a nice "familiar" show for a lot of people to go back to but it just never had a huge cult audience or anything. I've known plenty of people who like KOTH but few who could count it as their favorite show; Futurama and Family Guy were (in their initial runs) kept alive by cult audiences who absolutely adored the show, even if no one else seemed to care for them. KOTH was a nice "steady" performer that Fox could reliably stick in some lesser timeslots and still get respectable ratings. But it was never going to be a Simpsons or South Park-level hit. It ran quite regularly in local (non-cable) syndication for a few years but eventually got played out there too. You don't have a show run for 13 seasons and daily in syndication paired with shows like The Simpsons and Seinfeld and still have a substantial amount of people out there who would just adore it but have never seen it.

Personally, I respected what KOTH did but never really got into it. I think largely the characters just weren't for me. I recognize a lot of the style in the early seasons of The Office but the characters there are just more appealing to me.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

chinese martian physicist HRH Sir Prince Charles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Sovereign View Post
    the better question is what actually happened to Good Hank? he just kind of disappeared...
    a later episode has Cotton saying Didi left him, so she obviously took him

Dividing by Zero ...$slkdafjk

I think a lot of the hate towards KOTH comes from people who watched Beavis and Butthead and expect it to be that kind of humor. I've seen dozens of comments about "mike jugde went from B&B to this? this show suck!" I love both, but I'd have to say that KoTH is actually better if you look at it from a consistency standpoint.

FOX's treatment of King of the Hill was especially terrible in the final years because during Animation Domination advertisements they were known to give a plot description to the upcoming episode of The Simpsons, then say "then after an all new King of the Hill", and then give a plot description of the upcoming Family Guy episode. FOX was really confused because they wanted to desperately end this show so they decided to stop enticing viewers with a plot description but also keep it going until they found an animated substitute which turned out to be "The Cleveland Show". King of the Hill is an example of FOX trying to keep one of its few successful shows way past its prime.

Zombies Rise from the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by biffwestwood View Post
    King of the Hill is an example of FOX trying to keep one of its few successful shows way past its prime.
    I wouldn't say it was past it's prime; I mean I liked "Master of Puppets", didn't hate it or anything nor think that the show needed to go away...

They should of enticed more people to watch though...

Blog Entries

best scenes

Now with More Testicles. do what donny dont does's Avatar

I dont know why, but I hate this show. Every episode I watched, makes me want to vomit.
    To each his own, I guess.

So no, I dont think its underrated.

Blog Entries

care to elaborate on that?

Now with More Testicles. do what donny dont does's Avatar

I wish I could elaborate. I dont know why I hate it, I just do. I cant really put my finger on it. It doesnt make me laugh, at all, but there are alot of shows that I dont find funny, thats no reason to hate a show. But I, for some reason, hate this show.

If you enjoy it, more power to you. Ive tried several times to get into it, but I just cant do it.

Just my stupid opinion.
    Last edited by do what donny dont does; 09-22-2011 at 11:13 AM.

What I didn't understand is why did they even bother giving King of the Hill a high definition transition when it was only for the final production line of only 17 episodes? Transitioning a show from standard to HD can cost millions of dollars and if a show is going to be cancelled soon, it makes perfect sense not to bother.

Thread Information