View Poll Results: How do you rate "Weekend at Mort's"?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: A wonderful time!

8 42.11%
  • 4/5: An amazing time!

9 47.37%
  • 3/5: I had a good time.

2 10.53%
  • 2/5: Eh, it was alright.

0 0%
  • 1/5: Horrible Weekend

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review Bob's Burgers: "Weekend at Mort's" (1ASA11)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Zombies Rise from the Sea

Rate and Review Bob's Burgers: "Weekend at Mort's" (1ASA11)

Weekend at Mort's (1ASA11)
    Bob and his family spend the weekend with Mort the mortician while work is done on the restaurant; Linda and Bob double date with Mort and a female mortician (Amy Sedaris).

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Excellent episode.

- When the health inspector first showed up, I was like, ugh, since he was one of the main reasons I didn't care for the first episode. He was only used a little bit this time, and to a much better effect.
    - I like how with each episode, they kind of branch out a little more with the characters. Mort has had roles in some of the previous episodes, but this is the first time we got to really see him and see inside his house. The on-going feud between Bob and Jimmy Pesto is fun, especially since they end up eating there frequently anyway. Also cool how they recall things from past episodes and keep going with it instead of just ditching it the next week like it never happened or mattered.
    - I was glad that they didn't take the cliche' route with internet dating (girl turns out to be ugly or awkward OMG!)
    - "But they look like robot weiners!" - Gene, Louise, and Tina are SO much better than any of the Seth MacFarlane shows' kids. They're so out there but somehow extremely believable too.
    - Louise: "I'm a zombie!" Tina: "ooh!" Louise: "No! Ugh..."
    - The bus from Speed!
    - I love how Bob has frequent moments of insanity, like having conversations with the Keanu figure.
    - "Ah, just pour some bleach on it."
    - I also love all the wacky songs they do, often over the credits.

God, I can't give enough praise to this show. Its SO refreshing to see a new animated show with such solid writing, where the creators clearly care about what they're doing and have a clear vision for their show and what they want it to be.

5/5

I Just Want My Kids Back EthanRunt's Avatar

Just. SO. GOOD!
    This show is doing what it wants to do, and very well. Absolutely blisteringly hysterical, like a lot of episodes. The kids' plot was great and Bob, Linda and Mort's story worked out really well too.
    I can't say much, NoOneFamous summed it all up very well, but, yeah, the show is on fire right now.

500-year-old Mongoose Cow zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode had lots of hilarious gags, such as the "Hobo dinner" babysitting sequence, and the adormentioned 'Bus from Speed'. Some of the best gags I've seen in awhile.

let me start by saying i like this show a lot and i'm glad they're getting to do another season. however, i get the creeping suspicion that, due to its almost too-fast pacing and overt quirkiness (god, i hate that word, but it really is apt for this situation), it will ultimately end up in the FOX dustbin somewhere between arrested development and the critic. it almost strikes me as some kind of metajoke project written by/for today's not-quite-mainstream-but-still-respected alt comics like jon benjamin, eugene mirman, and kristen schaal, to see how far they can push it in primetime without being canceled. anyone else get that feeling?

sorry, that post really should've been in the "bob's burgers" thread.

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

Bob talking to the Keanu action figure was the funniest thing I've seen in a while. This show is just amazing. It's just so weird how every character is so fucking weird and zany yet they all gel together so well. The health inspector was really well used in this one especially at the ending.

Overall A- and a 5/5 on the poll

Blog Entries

I thought this episode was really well done. One of the most refreshing aspects of it was that we got away from the burger joint for a little while. The burger place is the central setting of the show, but sometimes they spend so much time in there, it makes the series a little claustrophobic. It was nice to see the family in a different setting being their usual selves.

A great episode. I laughed quite a bit with this one. The zombie gag, the "Bus from Speed!" gag, much better than they're last few episodes. 5/5
    "I'll die before I surrender,Tim."

Quote Originally Posted by RembrandtQEinstein View Post
    let me start by saying i like this show a lot and i'm glad they're getting to do another season. however, i get the creeping suspicion that, due to its almost too-fast pacing and overt quirkiness (god, i hate that word, but it really is apt for this situation), it will ultimately end up in the FOX dustbin somewhere between arrested development and the critic. it almost strikes me as some kind of metajoke project written by/for today's not-quite-mainstream-but-still-respected alt comics like jon benjamin, eugene mirman, and kristen schaal, to see how far they can push it in primetime without being canceled. anyone else get that feeling?
    I would agree with you, and I would feel that way if the show didn't feel so much like they actually care. I get the impression that they're definitely not just phoning this stuff in to see how far it will go before being cancelled.

As for it's pace, I don't think its fast-paced at all... in fact I think they have had the perfect pace both in the episodes and the series itself in introducing us to the characters. They're doing everything right, where shows like "Sit Down, Shut Up" failed miserably. "Sit Down, Shut Up!" was immediately like "BAM! Heres like 20 vaguely unique characters for you to to watch!" (Also it wasn't funny and felt like it was written by a bunch of corporate suits trying too hard)

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

More consistently good stuff from Bob's Burgers! The first season is shaping up to be of a fine quality, and I hope the show keeps churning out episodes for many years to come.

This episode didn't really excel in any one area for me, but it was all-around weird fun and as usual, used all the characters to a good effect. Linda's eagerness is a lot of fun to watch, and Bob's role was excellent as well. I thought it ended on a great note about the bleach. "WHAT!?"

B+
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneFamous View Post
    - Gene, Louise, and Tina are SO much better than any of the Seth MacFarlane shows' kids. They're so out there but somehow extremely believable too.
    It's probably because they're all likable and have distinct personalities. In Family Guy, they don't really stick to character; often Meg and Chris will be nasty for the sake of jokes. You never really root for them.
    The kids in this show are all great and it's nice that they're shown sticking together, rather than being the tired rivaling siblings. Louise playing jokes on them in this episode didn't seem malicious, for example; it's not because she doesn't like Gene or Tina. It just seemed like something normal kids would do.

God, I can't give enough praise to this show. Its SO refreshing to see a new animated show with such solid writing, where the creators clearly care about what they're doing and have a clear vision for their show and what they want it to be.
    I totally agree. Isn't it nice to see character-driven plots, rather than coming up with a premise and hammering the characters in there?

Quote Originally Posted by RembrandtQEinstein View Post
    however, i get the creeping suspicion that, due to its almost too-fast pacing and overt quirkiness (god, i hate that word, but it really is apt for this situation), it will ultimately end up in the FOX dustbin somewhere between arrested development and the critic
    I think this is the wrong animated show to complain about pacing. Consider how pedestrian the plots are compared to the wacky episodes of the Simpsons and how much they try to shoehorn in. Family finds mold, family stays at Mort's place, Bob learns to live life a bit more. It's simple but it doesn't need to be any more complicated. Unlike the other shows, it feels character-driven rather than event-driven.

I thought this episode was great. Bob's rivalry with Jimmy Pesto feels a lot more human than what you'd expect; Pesto doesn't taunt Bob when he enters the restaurant, for example.
    I also loved Bob trying to exercise his hobby and his epiphany at the end expressed in those terms. He's not the dour person I expected from before I started watching the show and better than that, he's not the crazy, fatally-flawed animated dad from shows like the Simpsons or the three MacFarlane shows.

when i said "too-fast pacing," i meant in terms of dialogue, not plot. the jokes come so quickly (and sometimes they're combined and/or mumbled) that you really have to turn it up, lean in, and pay attention. like arrested development, it doesn't play down to its audience nor is it passive viewing, which is why i predict it won't last more than a couple seasons.
    Last edited by RembrandtQEinstein; 05-10-2011 at 05:18 PM.

That is true - that style of humor and dialog are what make shows like this a love it or hate it kind of deal with most people... which I find depressing and annoying that the general public is so dumbed down that they have to have all their jokes spelled out for them or they don't even catch on to the humor.

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

the general public is so dumbed down that they have to have all their jokes spelled out for them or they don't even catch on to the humor.
    im forever on the lookout for the lowest things to ever have been mounted by a high horse. i shall note this one in my journal

Tina was wonderfully creepy as fuck as usual. Bob just gets more and more high strung though. I know it's part of the character and it's a nice change of pace for the dad...or at least getting high strung over things that are worth getting so over, but it could get pretty annoying if they draw attention to it too much maybe. Not as nice as the last episode but I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by prince jafar allah View Post
    im forever on the lookout for the lowest things to ever have been mounted by a high horse. i shall note this one in my journal
    If I was wrong, then why was Two and a Half Men the most popular comedy of the last decade?

let me rephrase my post since clearly it was too low-brow for you to understand:

bob's burgers is shit

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

let me rephrase my post since clearly it was too low-brow for you to understand:

bob's burgers is shit

bob's burgers is shit
    No, its not.

gtfo

edit: god, this is why revamping this entire forum was a pointless effort, admins

you understand my post, then. cool. now we're getting somewhere

then explain why its shit, other than 'I watched the first episode and it sucked and wasn't funny"

And why even go in this thread and shit all over our opinions if you hate it? Let us enjoy our show thats ultimately doomed to be cancelled while it lasts.

I Just Want My Kids Back EthanRunt's Avatar

I enjoy the optimism in the fans, they're definitely not people that have been burnt by shows beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by EthanRunt View Post
    I enjoy the optimism in the fans, they're definitely not people that have been burnt by shows beforehand.
    Networks.. burned by networks.

edit: god, this is why revamping this entire forum was a pointless effort, admins
    What does that have to do with anything?
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

for the first time, it allowed otherwise intelligent people quick access to all forum posts due to the 'innocent' infrastructure of the new "SUPER" forced-smile regime, thus disturbing NoOneFamous's native tribal culture of mass adoration and general unanimity

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    What does that have to do with anything?
    Because its apparently acceptable for [some posters] to come into threads and shit on others opinion for no reason.

Its rude to come in here and tell everyone who enjoys Bob's Burgers that their opinion is wrong and it sucks.

If you don't like the show then just don't go in the fucking threads about it or at least save your thoughts for "Bob's Burgers General Discussion" or something. I mean this is the most basic of board etiquette.

I think you're overreacting.

dude, people are allowed to voice their opinion about a show. Get over yourself

Because its apparently acceptable for [some posters] to come into threads and shit on others opinion for no reason.

Its rude to come in here and tell everyone who enjoys Bob's Burgers that their opinion is wrong and it sucks.
    i wasnt shitting on your opinion, i was shitting on your claim that the reason people dont like this show is because they've been "dumbed down". which in itself is "rude". though not as much as it is stupid

and i opened the thread in the first place because i know there are some posters who watch this show whose opinion im interested in reading

Thread Information