View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Great Simpsina"? (NABF11)

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: A modern day Houdini

33 25.38%
  • 4/5: Levitating the Statue of Liberty

46 35.38%
  • 3/5: Pulling a Rabbit out of the Hat

36 27.69%
  • 2/5: Ho Hum Card Trick

11 8.46%
  • 1/5: Pulling a Hat out of a Rabbit

4 3.08%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rate and Review: "The Great Simpsina" (NABF11)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned
    Blog Entries

Very soild episode for the hd-era several funny moments and a decent plot. 3.5/5

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Pretty good episode. I really laughed at "there never was a curse"/"...you're a real jerk, you know that?"

Junior Camper

This is a good episode.

Although I don't understand why Lisa is the main character if Bart is the only one who showed interest in magic previously, Bart himself mentioned it at some moment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorGustabo View Post
    Although I don't understand why Lisa is the main character if Bart is the only one who showed interest in magic previously, Bart himself mentioned it at some moment.
    According to writer Matt Warburton, the original pitch actually did have Bart as the magician:

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    According to writer Matt Warburton, the original pitch actually did have Bart as the magician
    The feminist issue is obvious but I was waiting for some other reason besides that. Exactly how she made this episode more interesting? It makes little sense to me.

I guess the writers simply wanted to use Lisa in a entertaining and pleasurable story.
    Last edited by JuniorGustabo; 02-09-2015 at 01:57 PM.

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

I think it works better with Lisa anyway. The Lisa/Raymondo interactions would seem a bit off with Bart in place for one.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Good Lisa-centric episode; the plot about her meeting and befriending the aging former magician The Great Raymondo (good performance from the guest star Martin Landau) and training under him to be an illusionist herself was and good and interesting story (and I liked the lead-in with the surplus peaches) & while it wasn't incredibly funny there was several good jokes and gags throughout (and the choice of the episode being about Lisa instead of Bart was good as it wouldn't have worked as well the other way).

I liked the conflict that arose between Lisa and Raymondo after the former accidentally revealed his greatest trick (the great milk can escape) to his modern rival, the modern and hip magician Craig Demon, and I liked Homer helping them to get together again. The whole finale when the celebrity magicians show up to stop Raymondo and Lisa from helping Craig as he is about to drown during performing the trick was overdone but had a few decent gags and the episode ended well with Lisa performing her magic tricks while Raymondo gets kind of a funny-sad ending where he dances with his deceased wife.

Overall, while it's not a great episode it is quite good and enjoyable; definitely above average.

4/5
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-28-2017 at 07:31 AM.

Hercules Rockefeller

Am I the only one who realizes how similar this episode is to "The Lastest Gun in the West?"

Character is chased by crazy animal, character hides in house, character meets a formerly famous man and learns a lot from them, Abe Simpson recognizes the person his grandchild has met and the character and this former celebrity become very close.

The difference is this episode is good.
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Homerpalooza 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Thread Information