View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Great Simpsina"? (NABF11)

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: A modern day Houdini

33 25.38%
  • 4/5: Levitating the Statue of Liberty

46 35.38%
  • 3/5: Pulling a Rabbit out of the Hat

36 27.69%
  • 2/5: Ho Hum Card Trick

11 8.46%
  • 1/5: Pulling a Hat out of a Rabbit

4 3.08%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "The Great Simpsina" (NABF11)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Zombies Rise from the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. View Post
    I think that was the joke...
    I completely missed that... I think it's somewhat clever (due to the fact that the biggest tricks turn out to be simplistic) but I'm surprised it went over everybody's head. It somewhat gets undermined later on when Raymundo uses his Magical Powers to get Mindfreak out of the cage though.

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. View Post
    I think that was the joke...
    Are you sure? It was a typical magician contraption, but it wasn't like laughably easy to figure out...

Blog Entries

ABRACA-MILHOUSE
    Last edited by friz; 04-12-2011 at 04:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dizagaox View Post
    Great episode, for all the points mentioned.

Question: is this the first "regular" episode to not have an opening credits sequence?
    I believe so, although Sideshow Bob Roberts had a very shortened opening (it went straight from the "aw... The Simpsons" to the shot of the TV with the producer credits).

Blog Entries

This was good. It had it's flaws, but there was nothing majorly terrible like in the last episode. It was not perfect though. Raymondo is definitely one of the better one-time characters of the jean era and Lisa's relationship with him was handled quite well. The peach intro was weak, but I can picturing Jack Mcbrayer getting as animated as he does whenever he sings, which made it somewhat fun.

Other than that, the rest of the first act is alright. Lisa later being trusted enough to be taught the milk can trick only to reveal it to a strange kid did feel a bit quick. It would have been perhaps better for Lisa's character if they developed her being conflicted whether she should tell the boy or not, but I guess it would have been too predictable that she would end up revealing it anyway. Either way, the obviousness was there that if she wasn't going to reveal it at that moment, then it would end up being later, so writing-wise, executing the moment without making it feel rushed or insulting the audience, is tricky. They did a good job explaining Lisa's actions though, despite it's abruptness.

Also, her asking Raymondo if she really thinks she's pretty came off more of a nervous notion of changing the subject, rather than her selfishly dying to know. At the same time, there's a hint of curiosity when she says that though, that made it humorous. She certainly felt guilty overall though about her weakness to keeping the secret.

As sweet as it was for Homer to care, I couldn't help but notice how formulaic his dialogue was, "I can't stand to see my daughters unhappy". I know there is a joke in here that shows his ignorance towards Bart, but even so, I feel like scenes like this could be expressed without dialogue. It's nitpicky, but I just never cared for the over-explained "nobody makes my kid cry" statements. Just animate a facial expression and show him doing something about it.

The ending was kind of lame with the cheap action conclusion, complete with all the magician guest stars, but overall the episode was decent. Penn and Teller's material was good. The final scene with Raymondo felt weird to me, because I liked how they gave us some sweet closure on his mini-backstory, but it just seemed a bit distasteful how it was because of an ether trip. I didn't really know what to think of it. Anyway, I found multiple things funny in this episode which is a plus these days, and it had a decent story. Still, little flaws prevented it from meeting my standard of a jean episode at it's best. 3/5.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Friz View Post
    ABRACA-MILHOUSE
    Funny, but surrealist...

I really enjoyed this. The guest stars were a bit crazy, but everything else... Why can't they do this all the time!?

Another thing, I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, is Grampa living with the Simpsons? He never returned to the nursing home in The Scorpions' Tale, unless I missed something or forgot, and he's just been there in the last few episodes.
    Last edited by Agent Polar; 04-13-2011 at 05:21 PM.

...and I facepalm so hard Little Nellie Kelly's Avatar

This episode wasn’t as bad as I had expected, I’ll admit to that. It was flimsy at the end of the third act but overall it seemed like an “okay” episode; not too bad but not great. Everything before Lisa’s sell out to Craig Demon’s son was okay (as stated previously) but after that it became flimsy and started to drag out.

The beginning of the episode (post-peaches, pre-sell out) was good, I enjoyed the animation for a change (gasp!) and as there were no jokes during this period, there were no “fail”s. No jokes in the episode I enjoyed (as I didn’t really recognize any).

The reason that the plot became flimsy at the end of the third act was because – as stated before – selling out someone’s cherished secret does… not seem like a very “Lisa” thing to do. Another reason contributing to the flimsiness was the quote unquote fight between Penn, Teller, Ricky Jay, and David Copperfield, which seemed like a cheap way to show that Raymondo was not going to let Craig Demon drown, which would in turn upset Lisa. As I always say, you give some and you take some, but the moments were too cheap to consider anything else.

3/5 - B-

I really enjoyed everything about this episode.
    A great Lisa-centric episode with lots of sweet moments.
    Nelsons line when Lisa was in the milk can was my favourite.

4.5 out of 5 but I voted 5.
    One of the best of the season.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I forgot to mention it, but this has got to be the fourth or fifth time in the Jean era a character has put food (or something else strange) onto/into their ears to block out something annoying. Jean must really like this supremely weird gag, but it's never worked for me. How do you even do that with peaches..?
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Junior Camper

I agree with some people that this is one of the better newer episodes but it's still not a great episode in my mind.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

I liked Raymondo's character design, looked like something we would have seen years back
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

I enjoyed most of it. I agree Lisa giving away the secret was obvious and rushed. But overall I liked the magician character a lot and I actually laughed hard at Homer getting bitched slapped by the lion and "Abraca-Milhouse!" Anything with Penn & Teller will also always get extra love from me. Another solid 4/5 episode this season. So far I'd say this is one of the better Al Jean seasons; much better than seasons 17 to 21.

-and thank goodness that had enough to since to decently name the parody character, instead of something horrible like "Criss Spangel", which is what I'd expect these days. :<

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    I actually laughed hard at ... "Abraca-Milhouse!"
    ABRACA-GOD-DAMNED-MILHOUSE

Overrated

2/5

And what's with lunchlady doris' voice?
    Don't make me run! I'm full of chocolate!

Blog Entries

the original VA (Doris Grau) died back in like 97 or something. now she's voiced by one of the female regulars

Doris Grau died on December 30, 1995 of a lung infection.

Lunchlady Doris was her only recurring character.

I'm okay with having her character talking again because her cause of death was not the same as that of Phil Hartman.

Quote Originally Posted by biffwestwood View Post
    I'm okay with having her character talking again because her cause of death was not the same as that of Phil Hartman.
    That's weird. It's not as if she's less dead or anything. It wouldn't be that hard to draw up a new lunchlady character either.

Overall, episode quality was good. Pointless filler in the beginning and at the very end but in between there was some good character development and an interesting storyline.

4/5
    http://www.nohomers.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16014&dateline=1394082927

Blog Entries

This was the first new episode of the Simpsons I've watched in a long long time and I must say I was impressed. I guess in that gap I suspected the show just to sink further and further in terms of quality, but this proves that every once in a while they can have a decent episode. (Unless anyone can tell me whether any other episodes this season and possibly the last have been any good).

I say decent though because it still wasn't great. Like many of you have said, the premise has been done many times before and the ending was a bit of a mess. However, for the most part I was entertained (well, except for the peach thing which was completely pointless). Some of the visual gags were funny, probably down to the fact they fast and didn't drag (like the peaches opening).

Martin Landau had the perfect voice for Raymondo and is an example of when guest stars can be used well. The four magicians? That's a bad example.

However, the only thing I can't understand is why people thing the emotion and character was good. I mean, it wasn't completely dead but everything just seemed to forced and fake. Marge is obsessed with peaches? Ok... Lisa gives away the secret because a boy talked to her in less than 10 seconds? Right... The ending, with it's attempted poignancy felt awkward instead, being a drug induced thing and all. Plus we rarely heard of his wife anyway.

Perhaps I'm being too picky on what seemed like a good episode. It was nice to know that even now the Simpsons can make me chuckle...even if it's just a little bit.

The episode was very good. One of the better Lisa heavy episodes. The whole part with Homer and the money was very funny.

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Great Simpsina

An amusing episode that didn't really get going until the second act (After the pointless and unfunny peach opening) Lisa was in character and I did like the design of "The Great Raymondo" who's voice fitted the character well. The punk magician (Who's name escapes me) was very funny along with Homer and they injected the most comedy into the episode. The final trick was great but the magician fight scene was yet another pointless scene to include as many types of people to do with the episode (In this incident there all magicians) as possible. The ending was very sweet and I loved how they evolved Raymondo so he wasn't just a flat, one-dimensional, one time character. I liked the episode although it wasn't great in some places.

Score: 8.0/10.0

I just re-watch "Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder" way from season 11 and I must say that Pen and Teller cameo was much more clever and funny...
    I actually wonder did the writer of "The Great Simpsina" remember that episode or he writen it thinking this is the first time we See those two on the Simpsons...

Blog Entries

i don't really think either one of their appearances was 'clever' (in both episodes they randomly appeared, but in this episode in a way, it wasn't as random 'cause it had to do with illusions and magic and the likes), but i agree that they were alot funnier in hello gutter hello fadder.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really enjoyed this one. Raymondo turned out to be a very good one-time character, which is rare these days. I liked the magic stuff and both Lisa and Homer's characterizations. Plus, the ending with Raymondo was actually pretty effective. My favorite line of the episode was from him about the magic of making a child. I also didn't mind the peach beginning, but admit it was pretty stupid and unnecessary. Which reminds me, I was surprised by the lack of an opening. Pretty good overall and one of the best of season 22 so far. Solid 4/5

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    I really enjoyed this one. Raymondo turned out to be a very good one-time character, which is rare these days. I liked the magic stuff and both Lisa and Homer's characterizations. Plus, the ending with Raymondo was actually pretty effective. My favorite line of the episode was from him about the magic of making a child. I also didn't mind the peach beginning, but admit it was pretty stupid and unnecessary. Which reminds me, I was surprised by the lack of an opening. Pretty good overall and one of the best of season 22 so far. Solid 4/5
    Couldn't have put it better myself

Blog Entries

A pretty solid episode, all around.

However, the fact that the episode ends with an unnecissary cavalcade of guest stars in an absurd "fight", not to mention having Lisa do something uncharacteristic of her just to move the plot (sell Raymondo's secrets to Craig Demon) almost made me not like the episode.

But, for once, a character that is introduced for the usage of the episode actually had the chance to evolve and prove that the writers still have some of that old magic left. And, for that, it's why I consider it to be this season's best episode.

Blog Entries

One of Season 22's better episodes.

3.7/5

Pretty solid episode. Interesting subject matter and some decent jokes along the way. One of the better episodes of the season. 4/5

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

I used to love this episode, but after I re-watched it, it wasn't as good as I'd remembered. The magic scenes were too over-the-top to be believable and the premise seemed rather gimmicky and rushed. My initial grade was an A, now i'm lowering it down to a B-. Still one of season 22's better episodes, though.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

It was okay. The peach stuff was dumb, and I didn't care for all the famous magicians appearing at the end. I don't understand why Lisa gave away the secret to that trick. Given how important it was to the Great Raymondo, there is no way Lisa should have given it away so easily. I did like the Great Raymondo, though. An uncharacteristically good one-time character for this era. And, despite all its many flaws, this is episode is relatively enjoyable overall. 5/10
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 01-08-2014 at 07:58 PM.

Thread Information