View Poll Results: How Would you rate "Mom's I'd like to Forget" (NABF03)?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Mom, you're the best!

11 9.02%
  • 4/5: Mom, that's cool.

25 20.49%
  • 3/5: Mom, uh...It's "okay."

47 38.52%
  • 2/5: Mom, how could you?

25 20.49%
  • 1/5: I have no mother...

14 11.48%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Mom's I'd like to Forget" (NABF03)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

it was neither good nor bad.
    3/5

as Mr. said the story about the dads together was great. As well as Chief Wiggum dropping Ralph on the head.. Apart from that a watchable but pretty forgettable episode
    Don't make me run! I'm full of chocolate!

To be honest, I don't like the idea of explaning why Ralph is the way he is this much. I don't think each character need some sort of "secret orgin". Ralph is Raplh because his father is... well... Wiggum. That's all we need to know

Blog Entries

Another bland episode. I give it 2/5 because of the already solved crossword puzzles and the end with ned.

The first half with the school scenes was pretty fun to watch, even if it was a little dumb it was dumb fun but it kind of got a little lame after that. Not bad, just...a little lame. I mean...it's all because of Comic Book Guy's sandwich? And four plastic swords dropping in perfect unison on all four of their hands? Dropping Ralph on his head was a bit of a lame throwaway too I sort of agree there, and the whole thing with cutting into Marge's brain's like something taken straight out of the library of wisdom books. I just sort of expect more than that, even after all this time. For me other than the intro, the other highlight for me was scenes with Homer awkwardly trying to deal with those other 3 douchebags, I thought was sort of funny, not much more to say though really.

Also was there some sort of joke at the very very end with the Omaha line? Because the credits come in to like...scary and ominous music and I didn't really get why. .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. View Post
    To be honest, I don't like the idea of explaning why Ralph is the way he is this much. I don't think each character need some sort of "secret orgin". Ralph is Raplh because his father is... well... Wiggum. That's all we need to know
    well, with this explanation, it's still because his father is wiggum

It just doesn't leave much to the imagination, it's like the crayon up Homer's nose but I've sort of blocked out cruddy throwaway gags lately like...episodes about a character dying but then giving you the finger and gloating over successfully wasting your time.

Like come on, is that how they want some people who take every joke to heart to see how Ralph was "made"? How depressing.

Stranger in this town Greased Scotsman's Avatar

I really enjoyed it. Loads of great gags that made me laugh. I like that it featured one of the higher grades of the school for a change. The only other time I can remember a reference to the higher grades was in the very first episode when Skinner went "the tenth grade will now..." so that was cool.

Highlights:

- The "4 > 5" sticker on the back of the collapsed fifth-grader.
    - The piano music kicking in when the teachers fight, then a cut to Skinner actually playing a piano.
    - Jimbo's hat flying off, revealing him to be bald on top. XD
    - Rain or shine gag.
    - "Stupid Flanders' wi-fi..."
    - The areas of Marge's brain.
    - Homer's solved crossword/sudoku books.
    - The scene with Hibbert.
    - Na'vi and Klingon.
    - "It was seven years ago, a time when Twilight meant the end of the day, and not the most barftastic horror franchise of all time."
    - The Ralph gag.
    - Spotting Sanjay, Ruth Powers (!), baby Milhouse, baby Nelson, baby Jessica Lovejoy, baby Martin and the baby Hibbert kids in the 4th of July crowd.
    - Homer cleaning the garage as the fireworks are going off.

One thing I didn't get...where did Bart get such a valuable comic book from?
    One of the few who still enjoys new episodes of The Simpsons.

Where's the money shot? Reverend Lovejoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greased Scotsman View Post
    - Spotting Sanjay, Ruth Powers (!), baby Milhouse, baby Nelson, baby Jessica Lovejoy, baby Martin and the baby Hibbert kids in the 4th of July crowd.
    Wait, where was that? I didn't spot her.

Anyway, this episode... I don't know, really. It started out alright but went downhill pretty fast. Oh, and seriously, I know I've said it many times but... ugh, writers, please stop using CBG for everything. That flashback was not funny, and I cannot for the life of me see why it couldn't have involved another character.

Going to have to give this 1/5.

Thanks to CousinMerl for this great sig!

direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Decent episode and while I enjoyed it, it suffered from a couple of really lazy things and was just a bit odd in other places. Firstly, that whole sword thing stunk of lameness. I'd rather they didn't make it a sword shaped scar and have a decent resolution than that lame sandwich thing. Secondly, how the fuck did Bart get that comic if it was so rare? That one isn't as major but still! Better reasons for CBG to tell all were available. Thirdly, I really hate any conventional reference in the show nowadays so that Skype thing made me cringe. That's probably my problem and not there's but it screams 'WE'RE STILL RELEVANT!'. Finally, wow... that structure was all over the place. It was okay and I think I liked it but man, weird structure.

This episode did have some great moments like the whole Homer and other Dad's thing which I thought was really funny. I sorta liked Homer's little oddness gags also like the taxes on the toilet and stuff. It was kinda funny and not TOO in your face. The opening was pretty great and I'd have loved them to have just explored that this whole episode but they didn't and this was a passable and entertaining episode. Didn't like the Ralph joke at all. Not really funny. And didn't really get the Omaha joke but the writer's can't be blamed for my stupidity. Favourite gag was the rain or shine one. So yeah, decent episode.

Not that it bugs me or anything Lovejoy but is there a reason you voted my post down? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Lovejoy View Post
    Wait, where was that? I didn't spot her.
    After Mayor Quimby says "We all love fireworks!" there's a shot of the families cheering, and you can see the Lovejoys in between Marge and the Muntz family.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hammster View Post
    Secondly, how the fuck did Bart get that comic if it was so rare?
    I just assumed he took it off the shelf, but I could be wrong

And didn't really get the Omaha joke but the writer's can't be blamed for my stupidity.
    Mutual of Omaha is a major insurance company, located in Omaha (duh). The bastards have the only Chick-Fil-A in town in their foodcourt, but it's employees only.
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

And straight only too now apparently as of a few days ago accroding to the fast food thread.

Which makes that scene very eerily prophetic now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyosuki View Post
    Not that it bugs me or anything Lovejoy but is there a reason you voted my post down? lol
    If there was, I seem to have forgotten it. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by hammster View Post
    Thirdly, I really hate any conventional reference in the show nowadays so that Skype thing made me cringe. That's probably my problem and not there's but it screams 'WE'RE STILL RELEVANT!'.
    ... Which is exactly why I hate jokes like that (and the Twilight one; yeah, we get it. You know what Twilight is.).

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I'm in a bit of a hurry, so I'll keep it briefer than usual today:

Overall, I think I liked it, but I'm disappointed in the direction it took. The first act was quite good, actually, with some strong gags, some ambitious sequences (Bart's fantasy after winning the game, the saloon-like teacher's lounge brawl), and fun, more subtle things like Jimbo's bald head. Bart's fantasy was more gruesome than I expect from the show, although the West Side Story music added to the scene. The elements of the 4th/5th grade war were a lot of fun, particularly when it extended to the teachers (and I kinda hoped this subplot would grow throughout the episode).

The scar thing started off interestingly, but once the story settled on Marge making friends, it just didn't have that much appeal to me. It felt a little too reminiscent of Class Struggle mixed with Red Hat Mamas, and all the one-time characters involved (both Marge and Bart's friends) were flat and uninteresting. Homer carried a lot of the humor in the latter half, with his nightly reading and some good one-liners like "Stupid Flanders' wi-fi..."

Kind of cool to have the resolution extend to a character outside of the Simpsons family--in this case, CBG, who we haven't seen do something episode-relevant in awhile--but the explanation for the scars themselves ended up being pretty mundane. I was hoping for something a lot more...I dunno, grand and surprising, I guess.

The lesbian joke was just poorly done and has no place in the show. I'm tired of them trying to rely on shock value rather than humor for gags like these. Since Jean took over, Springfieldians are 10x more likely to arbitrarily make out on the spot.

By far, the biggest laugh of the episode for me was Homer and Flanders at the very end. "GOD, you're hilarious!" Outstanding!

Good enough episode, I suppose. Athough it fell a little short of its potential, it's an improvement over a lot of the weirdness we've gotten this season. 3.5/5

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyosuki View Post
    And straight only too now apparently as of a few days ago accroding to the fast food thread.
    You're a great poster, but this sentence was kind of a doozy to read.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Things I liked
    Although silly, I found the couch gag really funny.
    Old-timey fight, with Skinner nervously playing the piano
    "Worst Prognosis Ever!"
    The dramatic firework incident

Things I disliked
    Too many Bart imaginations
    The Marge brain scenes
    The brief conclusion to Marge's plot
    Homer going into the garage with the fireworks

-

Overall it was another average simpsons outing, although thankfully better than Donnie Fatso (ugh) - my only big complaint is that acts 3 and 4 weren't as slack and nicely plotted as the first two...which also prevented Marge's story getting a better conclusion.

3/5
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

the original Sex Pistol

as almost every other episode this season, this episode did get boring at times, especially in the first coupla minutes, but the episode got better as time went on. the marge plot was just plain brilliant and the bast story was ok. overall, i'd give this episode a 3/5.

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    You're a great poster, but this sentence was kind of a doozy to read.
    Okaaaay here:

And yeah what was with all of Bart's daydreaming in this? I half expected the whole episode to be a dream within a dream.

In terms of the way the episode was structured this one was probably one of the better modern day examples. The main story is established relatively early and in natural settings. The issue of Bart having to hang around kids who he just isn't comfortable around is a good one. I'm also glad the scar weren't the result of some cruel ritual but rather an accident. It's a nice touch that you've got essentially three stories going on involving Homer, Bart, and Marge all surrounding the one issue. It was Homer's that delivered my favourite moment of the night by appreciating Flanders after the dull/hostile company he had to hang around with.

That being said, I don't know if I'm alone on this or not, but I'm getting really tired of this style they use now. Jokes range from forced to not funny in the first place to downright strange. I probably should be used to this by now, but perhaps it's because I haven't seen an episode in quite some time that doesn't avoid this that I feel so drained out. An episode like this doesn't do anything horribly wrong, at least compared to some other modern day examples, but I just can't help but feel empty when watching it. It's different from, say, season 16 when most episodes were quite flawed but at least I was enjoying myself half the time.

I'll give it a D (2/5) based largely on the above-average framing of the episode.
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

Tyrant:Alf Clausen's Attorney D DEBBS's Avatar

Has some good moments, like CBG's sarcastic comments.

Blog Entries

I think with this episode it's safe to say The Simpsons has improved greatly since the post-movie awfulness. This season's looking to be better than Season 19. and with that, I'm bored again.

This episode had some mildly amusing bits. Though a retread or a TV cliche by now, the contents of Marge's brain was nice. Even the mile-high dodgeball was nice. Ralph being dropped was nice. There were plenty of misses, but these were misses mostly just because they weren't funny or interesting... at least in theory these things were jokes with punchlines, better than the excuses and fudgings from the last couple years. The plot was fine. In other words this is good enough to be aired on television finally. But still it does nothing for me.

also maybe I'm stupid because I didn't know what the reference could possibly be till just now, but WOW, what a lousy title

Just saw the episode now and I'm preety undecided. Funny bits, but terrible ones, too, like the STA with Moe and Homer chatting over his laptop and how it wasn't a bad connection, sadly.

Overall, though, this was the worst episode of any of the other episodes of the other Fox programs aired yesterday, IMO.

Aight... I'm only through 5 minutes of this episode, but am I the only one who notices that it's moving weirdly as all fuck? By that I mean, the pacing and direction are really odd. It seems like a bunch of scenes loosely connecting to each other; like the episode itself is very drunk. What the hell.

Quote Originally Posted by the real melvin View Post
    I think with this episode it's safe to say The Simpsons has improved greatly since the post-movie awfulness. This season's looking to be better than Season 19. and with that, I'm bored again.
    To be fair, it is hard to be worse than season 19 (in my opinion, at least).

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    Aight... I'm only through 5 minutes of this episode, but am I the only one who notices that it's moving weirdly as all fuck? By that I mean, the pacing and direction are really odd. It seems like a bunch of scenes loosely connecting to each other; like the episode itself is very drunk. What the hell.
    I thought that at first, but once the scars are introduced it settles down from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Greased Scotsman View Post
    I thought that at first, but once the scars are introduced it settles down from there.
    Yeah, you're right, I just finished it. I think them trying to introduce the 5th grade teachers and students + a detailed rivalry with them in all of 5 minutes is what made it odd.

Not sure what to think of this one. It was pretty different and it seemed like they took risks with the humor without trying to be blantantly shocking or edgy. Of course this ended up with some things working and others failing, but I got that feeling that I least they tried with this episode and it certainly wasn't nearly as forgetable as a lot of recent episodes.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Overall I agree with TriforceBun except for one thing. I didn't mind the explanation of the scar being mundane, the problem was that it was pretty pointless actually. I mean, the problem is not the explanation per se, which I actually found pretty clever and funny. It was that it didn't do much in the context of the episode. A mundane explanation can be hilarious if we're expecting something very serious or mystical. An explanation of this kind would have been pretty funny at the end of the Stonecutters episode for example, cause all people respected Homer because of the stonecutter's scar in his butt. But here we just didn't expect much. An explanation was needed and we got one but it didn't really affect to the story or the characters too much. I guess the explanation kept things moving, but the point of the story was this: the explanation inspired Bart to play with explosives again, that made Marge remember that the mothers thought Bart was a bad influence in their kids, so Marge remembered she didn't like these moms. Not as bad as strangling an ostrich justifying a dog killing a bird, but still a pretty loose connection. The whole scar story wasn't especially necessary to explain this and, as Bart's subplot, lacked any sense of suspense.

I admit I felt some relief when we found out that the story was just about Comic Book Guy's sandwich, though. These days when they come up with a "big" concept like this, it sometimes leads to a very wacky explanation or something that affects to continuity a little too much. I hated how they tried to explain Skinner's attitude with the flashback in Prank and Greens.

I guess the problem with this new episode is that they were trying so hard to make the story different to other episodes with similar premises (Scenes Of The Class Struggle, Red Hat Mamas) that they just thought of something quite intricated to make it look different, but it didn't make much sense.

What saved the episode from being terrible was the level of the gags. They weren't fantastic, in fact there were some clunkers there, especially the moms being lesbians (cheap, shock value gag that kinda make the characters and the whole conflict irrelevant, and I DID like that other gag about Homer imagining Marge and Lyndsay Naegle kissing in another episode). There were about 50% of gags that ranked from bad to mediocre and another 50% good, but the good ones were usually very good, and that made the episode fun to watch. The whole first act was pretty funny, especially the teachers fighting with saloon music played by Skinner. An example of a long scene that kept getting more absurd and funny with each new thing, it almost felt like a Mirkin era gag. Marge's brain gag was sort of decent, although a bit overused, I did like the scene when Marge gets back to home and she's drunk, Homer and Marge felt real in that scene, and of course the final gag with Homer and Flanders was a good pay off for the little subplot. I also thought the previous scene with the kids huggin' Marge but fighting each other was also cute and funny at the same time and it would have been a pretty nice ending as well (I especially enjoyed Maggie throwing her pacifier and it bouncing back to her mouth).

Surprisingly enough they are making Homer pretty funny in recent episodes. Not that I think he has been too bad in Jean era, but when episodes get bad or mediocre he's usually one of the worst parts in it, but this season he's being pretty solid and likeable.

Another thing that made this episode acceptable was that the different pieces of the story were good ideas per se. They didn't tell a very good story overall, but there was nothing terrible in any of the little ideas, so it was sort of ok.

Oh, and I enjoyed the long couch gag for once.

3-3,5/5
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 01-10-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

Holy cow, i actually really enjoyed this episode! It was one of those rare episodes of the last few seasons where after being introduced to the main plot, i was actually really interested in seeing how it would end. Specifically, i was really curious about Bart's and those other kids scars.

And boy, i LOVED the whole Comic Book Guy scene! Comic Book Guy is probably THE most consistently funny character on the show, and this was certainly no exception. I loved his overtly dramatic way of speaking about Barts "origin story", and i loved his usual "geek talk", which this time contained references to both Avatar, Star Trek and Twilight.

Surprisingly though, it was actually Lisa of all people that delivered my favorite line in the episode "can we hurry this along, it's really uncomfortable being a girl in this store". That line, in conjunction with the camera panning to show a sculpture of a half-naked woman being tied up to a giant boulder, seemed to me to make light of how sexist comic book and certain other "geek" culture tends to be both in the sense that women are treated as sex objects and also in that that they tend to express these weird misogynist-fantasies of women being hurt and/or taken hostage and/or have other horrible things happen to them. Kodos to the Simpsons writers for recognizing and lampshading this.

No real complaints about this one. Just the typical Simpsons episode with some decent jokes and a somewhat interesting story. Best joke was Skinner on the piano during the brawl in the teacher's lounge. I'd give it a 4/5

guts-black stuff-50 slim jims Miss Diko's Avatar

I want to give it a 3.5-3.9...

It had a great beginning, and that couch gag was actually pretty adorable without being long. Bart's dodgeball action moves scene was animated well too. I'd have to say the moment I found genuinely funny out of the episode was the 'teacher brawl' starting with Edna attacking with the popcorn bag heat. Speaking of Edna, Nelson wanting to see her wet chest eewww that didn't belong and it was disturbing :P

I like the idea that they wanted to show the other faculty and the 5th graders, but it still needs work with pacing and incorporating it into the plot. I felt that Bart didn't really have a reason to dislike the boys other than the fact they weren't the brightest and it didn't really ever show them doing anything incredibly justifiable to make him want to take his mom back. I agree w/ Cartoonnetwork that I didn't have a problem with the sword scars, but that it didn't go anywhere towards the end. I tried to tell myself, ok well any mom would get instantly upset at a jab at their kid, but she's not the kind of person that would just give up instantly like that. I expected her to do something before leaving them at the end. The lezzing out scene...ewww...again, not needed and disturbing.

If it makes sense, I didn't get a "good feeling" out of this episode, too many things were not *that* funny or weirded me out. (Nelson/gatorade, moms making out, all the blood, and like Kiyoski mentioned, it ended with morose music somewhat). It was like throwing in disturbing content for the sake of having that content. Nelson's nose didn't need to gush blood after being hit by a dodgeball, there was enough blood in the episode already.

Flow was screwed up, like mentioned before, there were some good jokes, and then would get really dry, then pointless, etc. Overall though it was a better put-together episode than most of the season so far.

Thread Information