Thread: Powerpuf Girls 2016

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Temporary Talking Head Suomynona's Avatar

Powerpuf Girls 2016

The new Powerpuff Girls reboot is out and I gave the pilot a watch. And......ehhhh

I'll give them this, I think I can get used to the character's new voices, and I think the characters do have a lot of chemistry with each other. The Clarence style's a bit distracting and I miss the old intro, but I'm sure I could get used to it. And while the plot may be pretty generic, they definitely nailed the humor and I'd certainly check in on the show just to watch the girl's shenanigans.

The action is utterly mediocre, and it's the worst part of the whole reboot so far. It's not just the lack of violent imagery; in the original series, nearly every single hit and punch between the girls and the villains have a visible impact to them. They feel like they're striking something solid, and each hit doesn't last too many animation frames so they're lightning quick while still visibly moving. Here? Except for a bit of the last part, all the action feels like watching a bunch of interpretive dancers finger tapping each other. It just seems much less dynamic than the action in the original series, and even when judged on its own merits it's very uninteresting. I'm not sure if it's the lack of budget or the animation team's lack of experience in doing scenes like this (considering this was the team behind Clarence, maybe the latter).

It definitely feels like the production team's more comfortable in showing the girls in everyday situations, while the action scenes are just a slog for them to get through before jumping back to their favorite scenes of the girls chatting. I think putting the Powerpuff Girls in more slice-of-life moments is something I haven't seen too much of before, and I'm happy to see more of it. But considering that the premise of the Powerpuff Girls is about superpowered girls living regular lives while also kicking an epic amount of ass, it's disappointing to see them severely lacking on the 'kickass' part.

Blog Entries

There is already a PPG reboot thread.

Temporary Talking Head Suomynona's Avatar

Ah. Shite.

I'll repost there now.

Thread Information