• 5/5: Huzzah!

13 8.78%
  • 4/5: Excellent.

22 14.86%
  • 3/5: Simpson, eh?

28 18.92%
  • 2/5: You Stupid Monkey!

29 19.59%
  • 1/5: There's nothing left to do but kiss my ass good-bye.

56 37.84%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rate and Review: "The Fool Monty" (NABF01)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
    Maggie shot Mr. Burns, therefore she already got her way with Mr. Burns before anybody else did...

And just because every character in Springfield gets to do something with Mr. Burns does not make it a great episode by default; I mean there were many times where certain Springfieldians got their way with Mr. Burns, and he was actually evil back then.
    Oops. My bad.
    Although Mr. Burns did live through the first shooting, Maggie had a shotgun this time.

The way everybody was spending time with Burns was almost funny, I was expecting them to hurt him.

Also when he almost repeated the events of the movie, was sorta cool.
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by NoHomers.net
    My favorite episodes: "Lisa's First Word" and "And Maggie Makes Three"
    Why? Because Maggie is an awesome character, and you know it!

Banned

Compare Mr Burns from 'Two cars in every garage, 3 eyes on every fish' and Mr Burns from this episode O_o This is without a doubt the worst EVER Mr Burns episode of The Simpsons and it is, yes I love this word, a total abomination to what The Simpsons once was. 1/5 F

1/5, watched it once. Never again!!!
    Formerly CapitalCityGoofball87

Don't you know I am serious!! Rembrandt Q. Einstein_1's Avatar

Great episode. Wacky done well, and lovely animation too, some of the best i've seen from the HD era.

Only let down slightly by Burns' characterization towards the end, but that doesn't ruin it too much. 4.5/5
    In order to effect the maximum taste out of food such as a boiled sweet.

Last edited by Bartesque; 02-27-2014 at 01:56 PM.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

It wasn't very good, but there wasn't anything too offensive. It was especially good until Mr. Burns' suicide attempt (which, by the way, was pretty bad. Burns crashed into an airplane, and he wasn't even killed? No way someone survives a collision at that speed, especially someone as frail as Mr. Burns). 3/10
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 01-08-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Horrible episode Burns is really badly characterizated and there is barley any funny jokes. 1/5

This is one of those episodes that annoys me because it had the potential to be good....but none of that potential was used. Instead we got a bunch of awful gags, badly written jokes, and once again Mr Burns is a silly cartoonish punching bag

The episode started off promising. I enjoyed the cat flu subplot and Mr Burns stealing all the vaccine was very...him. The scene where Mr Burns announces that he is dying is where I thought "hmmm...this episode could be good". Even though it's pretty out-of-character for Mr Burns to be upset because nobody likes him (hasn't he always considered the townspeople idiots?), it still had potential to be a nice little episode where Mr Burns comes to accept his mortality and/or attempts to connect with the townspeople so that he won't be alone in his final weeks (only to revert to his evil self in the end, of course).

Instead we got slapstick crap and awful gags that went on too long. First Mr Burns escapes to the woods (why would Burns even do that?), then he attempts suicide (what? he wants to kill himself because the townspeople hate him?!), and when that fails he becomes severely disabled (I love The Springfield Files as much as the next fan, but do we really need another rendition of Burns-as-a-goofy-braindead-idiot?), then the townspeople start mistreating him (all this sequence did was make me feel sorry for Mr Burns), then Mr Burns realizes that his evilness is what is keeping him alive (ugh...what sort of shitty cartoon logic is that). It was just awful and all over the place.

And the ending made no sense anyway. If being evil is what kept Mr Burns alive....then why was he dying in the first place? :/

I did like the visual of evil Burns sitting in a chair made of skulls though.

1/5

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Hugh Jazz

You're being watched OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was average, a pretty much forgettable episode, 6.7/10.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 02-17-2015 at 02:42 AM.

Better luck next time. Hugh Jazz's Avatar

One of the worst. Act one wasn't bad, but after the suicide attempt, it all went downhill. While there is an explanation for why Burns is characterized so poorly, there's a complete lack of respect for the character that makes it painful to watch. Otto using Mr. Burns's head as a bong is probably one of the worst scenes in the entire series. Plus, as has been mentioned, the plot makes no sense. As @Allybally12345 said, he shouldn't have been dying in the first place if evil is what kept him alive, why was he dying in the first place? And why did he recover in a time when he wasn't showing any ill will to anyone?

Blog Entries

Just thinking about it makes me want to jump off a cliff. 0/5
    Season 1: The humble beginnings -- Seasons 2-8: The classic era -- Season 9: The first season where noticeable flaws began to appear -- Season 10: The last decent season -- Season 11: The first BAD season -- Season 12: The last season with episodes worth watching -- Seasons 13-Present: Zombie Simpsons

Wears sneakers for sneaking Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, I gave this a 5/5? It's not that good, but it still doesn't deserve this vitriol. 3/5
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

The poll opinions here seem to be divided, and most folks who posted about it seem to have hated it...

As for me, I really, really liked this one when I first watched it; I kind of want to go back and watch it again now. I really don't mind seeing Mr Burns be vulnerable, because it reminds us to care about him. I've had a soft spot for Burns for a long time, though, and that's just me. He's had his weak-as-a-kitten moments since season two; if it needs to be played up for comedic OR emotive effect over two decades later, I'm not going to complain. Compare with Homer's stupidity.

Burns has been nasty enough over the course of the series that I figure it's sort of okay at this point to have his head used as a bong. Is a bong really so far off from bongos, anyway? Also, since this episode aired, he has more than had his dignity restored.

Mr. Burns has always been a juxtaposition to me; great motivation and strength of will contrasted with all of the inconveniences of being a zillion years old. I've always seen Burns as someone in need of a bit of TLC, and I liked that this episode went there-- it even managed to do it without giving him a girlfriend, which I think is unique and original. Perhaps to make us feel for him, the writers felt the need to all-out abuse him? They didn't have to do that, but I sure got a kick out of it.

So much fun to watch; I think I'll go watch it again! Gave this a 5/5.

Gets too much hate, wouldn't say it's underrated though, for me it was pretty decent and had some moments, really enjoyed that Simpsons movie reference. 6/10

You're being watched OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Even when I was more tolerant towards new Simpsons episodes I didn't think this one was too great. I'll have to re-watch this episode some day.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao
    what are your thoughts on the classic episode The Fool Monty
    Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther
    It really isn't bad at all. Doesn't deserve the hate.
    Was watching it in syndication tonight. The scene where Lisa takes Burns back to his mansion is surprisingly well-written. At least up until the point where he inexplicably changes back.

Used to think the fundamental premise of this episode was flawed. Second time around, I can sorta see thin traces of a good episode, but the execution just isn't there.

Springfield's revenge mostly consists of cheap jokes, Burns's new characterization is so pathetic, especially compared to that of the vengeful Springfieldians, that it's hard to root for anyone here.
    Isn't the main criticism the Burns characterization? He suffered an injury that caused him to be that way, so it's kind of the point for him to be OOC.
    The idea I liked was Burns going "nice" and the Springfieldians unwilling to accept it, sort of a reversal of the typical roles of Burns as the villain and Springfield as the protagonists.

Problem here is that neither side is portrayed very well. Burns is out of character, but in a way that makes a joke out of him. You can't develop a character you're making a joke of. Same with the Springfield mob, who really just play pranks on Burns.
    Hm. Yeah, you have a point. I wish I was better at these in-depth discussions. Episode just doesn't really bother me. It isn't great; I'd just call it average.
    Fair point that aside from the bad characterizations throughout and the incredibly low hit rate for jokes, which is especially disappointing since much of the episode is basically a set piece for jokes, there isn't that much to hate compared to other bottom 20-30 episodes.

On the other hand, the bad characterizations lead to a rather nonsensical plot about how evil is keeping him alive or something, and there's quite an abundance of cringeworthy scenes. This might be the episode with the most old man Burns jokes: his skull collapses, he flies into an airplane and bounces off tree branches, he eats and throws up stuffed toys, he's used as a bong...

oops I might have just debated myself back into thinking this is definitely bottom 20-30 worthy
    Old-man-Burns jokes don't bother me as much as some other stereotypes because his character at least still has some other qualities. But characters like Cletus or Otto, ALL they have now is incest and drug jokes, respectively.
    I'd say it does dominate his character in this ep as much as Otto's character was dominated by drugs in Bull-E(cstasy). Burns's "changed" persona is really nothing but old man Burns jokes. Which is why it's hard to take any of this episode seriously. And as a gagfest, the mutilated Burns jokes don't work well at all.
    man this is good stuff. I should post this in the R&R thread
    Last edited by pilcrow; 05-11-2015 at 09:45 PM.

A very weak and bizarre episode. The fake cat flu stuff is decent but when it gets to Mr. Burns deciding to take his life after hearing that he's gonna die and that nobody likes him it's downhill; his failed suicide leaves him with brain trauma that leaves him mentally challenged and Bart who discovers him decides to keep him in his room but he is discovered and the town takes advantage of him as revenge. Then Lisa accidentally jogs his memory back and he is talked out of taking revenge and understands that what keeps him alive is being mean; it's such a ridiculous mess and also mean-spirited.

Much of it is contrived, it makes little to no sense and Burns is very poorly characterized, but there were some good jokes (including the E.T. closet gag and the Under The Dome/The Simpsons Movie stuff near the end) and an okay subplot about Smithers being employed by Dick Cheney but nothing was even close to above average. Burns getting his brain scrambled by accident is an interesting choice of a story but it was made no justice and instead we got this overly wierd, ridiculous and wacky episode which falls flat, but it's not quite bottom material.

1.5/5 rounded up to 2/5

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This isn't bad in the same way as most bad modern simpsons episodes. This episode is just disturbing, sickly, and mean spirited. It's also poorly paced and written. Didn't enjoy this at all. 1/5.
    The Simpsons, Season 32:

Undercover Burns - 3/5
    I, Carumbus - 5/5
    Now Museum, Now You Don't - 2/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 5/5
    The 7 Beer Itch- 2/5
    Podcast News- 5/5
    Three Dreams Denied- 1/5

Blog Entries

What a episode that I consider to be foolish. The plot was fully nonsense, of course that started with Burns' suicide, what a mean-spirited episode.

Though it did have some jokes, and so this gets a 1.5/5
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/Love Is A Many Strangled Thing, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Last Traction Hero, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts, S32: Treehouse Of Horror XXXI/The 7 Beer Itch.

SEASON 32 SO FAR:

Undercover Burns: 2.5/5, I, Carumbus: 3.5/5, Now Museum, Now You Don't: 1/5
    Treehouse Of Horror XXXI: 5/5 (Toy Gory: 5/5, Into The Homerverse: 2/5, Be Nine, Rewind: 6/5)
    The 7 Beer Itch: 0.5/5 - WORST OF SEASON SO FAR
    Podcast News: 3/5, Three Dreams Denied: 1.5/5
    The Road to Cincinnati: ?/5, Sorry Not Sorry: ?/5, A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas: ?/5

Thread Information