Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ERA

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

in the middle of a hoedown eric's Avatar

NEW ERA

starting today, november 13th, 2010, nohomers.net is no longer a simpsons message board with an enormous off topic community. we are now a community devoted to pop culture & off topic discussion that also talks about the simpsons, among other shows.

nine years ago, the NHC was 65% simpsons discussion and 35% off topic discussion. that number jumped to 50%/50% five years ago. currently the clear majority of our membership come here regularly to discuss other subjects. the simpsons is an amazing show we will always remember fondly, watch re-runs of, and quote routinely, but (with the exception of 2007 when the simpsons movie was released) its popularity has continued to gradually & steadily wane over the past decade. as for declining quality, well that's an argument for another thread.

although our original intention was to keep the NHC simpsons-focused until the end of the show, with the recent renewal of the series through its record 23rd season, it is obvious that fox will air new simpsons episodes until the day comes when the producers finally tell the network "no más."

however, unlike the simpsons, this website's community is here for the long haul. the NHC cannot continue to grow if its discussion stays tethered to a series whose most popular days were ten years ago. thus, over the past month we've expanded the forums to discuss a much wider variety of topics. today, we've condensed the simpsons section to a single forum with several sub-forums (all of non-GD forums have been moved into the simpsons forums). please note that we have no intention whatsoever of eliminating the simpsons discussion in the future and that we are proud to have such a fantastic archive of simpsons topics as well as having been the largest forum devoted to OFF since 2001. our archive of simpsons posts will remain on the forum until the end of time, or when we accidentally spill beer on our servers again. everyone is still very welcome to discuss the show here on a routine basis and we hope you all continue to do so.

that said, if you haven't been here in awhile, we've added quite a bit to nohomers since october. we now have separate forums for animation, live-action tv, film, music, books & comics, and news & politics as well as a blog feature for anyone. we may add one additional forum in the near future but i'll talk that over with the staff first.

our homepage has been slightly re-done to reflect our entertainment/OT focus: http://www.nohomers.net

we now have separate forum homepages for forum categories, including music, video games, and tv:

http://www.nohomers.net/pages/music/
    http://www.nohomers.net/pages/videogames/
    http://www.nohomers.net/pages/tv/

also, our simpsons page has moved to http://www.nohomers.net/pages/simpsons/.

within the next few weeks, we'll add forum homepages for general animation, film, books & comics, news & politics, sports, and futurama. i'll soon add links to all of these pages in the forum navigation bar above.

finally, keep in mind that we will remain at nohomers.net/nohomers.com. the nohomers domain name should and will appeal to anyone who was at least a casual fan of one of the greatest pop culture subjects of the 1990s and 2000s, and is a perfect, fitting name for a website devoted to popular culture, entertainment, and other subjects.

i'm well aware that while many of you will be delighted to hear all this news and no longer be kinda embarassed to regularly surf a simpsons off topic board, a good number of members here will also be upset. sorry, this decision was not made lightly but the vast majority of our staff has backed the change. bring on the thumbs ups and thumbs down to this thread, because there will be no going back.

the last major change for nohomers in 2010 will likely be the move to our new server, which will be a scary transition but we'll get it done. our new server boxes were purchased today. we'll also get the somewhat broken search repaired by the time the NHC moves to its new home.

thanks for reading.

ALL GLORY TO ZEUS THE HYPNOTOAD

EDIT: to clear up some things, the way the board looks now is not what it'll look like in the future. what you're seeing now is essentially phase one of a transition period here. eventually the discussion here will be more balanced, but these changes have to be done gradually and not instantly. please have patience with us.

Full support, bro.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

welcome to my town sacrelicious's Avatar

Yay!

Thanks to anyone and everyone that made it possible to get new servers. This place is really going to rock even more!
    Notoriety for whatever reason, never seems to benefit the noted, only the 'notees'

tabby attack
    Blog Entries

Eric rocks!

Great job on everything, guys, really. The amount of ass you kick is immeasurable.

Looking forward to a bigger and better board for the foreseeable future!

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the hard work, I support these changes.

One question though, are threads for individual episodes welcome in the animation forum again, or would it be preferred for things to mainly be kept to one thread?

in the middle of a hoedown eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmaster View Post
    Thanks for all the hard work, I support these changes.

A question; Are threads for individual episodes welcome in the animation forum again, or would it be preferred for things to mainly be kept to one thread?
    check out the forum description

oh nice changes. when I saw the message an hour ago (or whatever) I thought to myself 'he's getting rid of the simpsons section!' close enough.

to the new era

Blog Entries

Oh boy! You mean a whole board devoted to general animation? The discovery of a life time!

Elsewhere in the board: It sucks that Simpsons is dead (pretty much) I mean, I'm not saying it's not warranted, but it's kind of weird. And I haven't even watched Simpsons much in the past decade. Reminds me of my first internet message board. The focus shifted from a specific program, to a general discussion of every program in the genre. Felt weird man. In fact, I think it's partially why I left back then.

Finally! I can make fun of the Simpsons post-season 9 without fear of ridicule, persecution and/or censorship!
    Heckling a Puppet show.

Blog Entries

sad...... but change is needed

where is the ANIMATION Thread?

Is this still going to be called "No Homers"?
    Last edited by qwerasdf; 11-13-2010 at 06:24 PM.
    "I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."
    - A. J. Liebling (1904-1963)

" Well i always thought if a song was not going to say something, it should be an instrumental "
    - Gil Scott Heron ( NPR 1985 )

Blog Entries

I don't think that The Simpsons is losing popularity, actually, and I think it has more fans than this board represents, but I'm okay with making it less of a focus because it's still there and we can still talk about it.
    Last edited by D'ohmer; 11-13-2010 at 06:25 PM.

yeah the simpsons has been as great as it's always been. you crazy eric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sovereign View Post
    Still got free cheese :gatorshrug:

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

I love this new idea. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by D'ohmer View Post
    I don't think that The Simpsons is losing popularity, actually, but I'm okay with making it less of a focus because it's still there and we can still talk about it.
    How can you think its still as popular as ever? In its' heyday, it was THE show. Everyone talked about it. Everyone quoted it. Ask around today - most people don't watch it, or if they do they're just casual viewers who catch an episode if they're bored. Many people, if you bring it up, will even react with disgust and say how they prefer Family Guy.

Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Amazing stuff guys! Let's hope this'll be an ERA OF GOOD FEELINGS

yeah, that was a pretty shitty history joke

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneFamous View Post
    I love this new idea. Bravo!How can you think its still as popular as ever? In its' heyday, it was THE show. Everyone talked about it. Everyone quoted it. Ask around today - most people don't watch it, or if they do they're just casual viewers who catch an episode if they're bored. Many people, if you bring it up, will even react with disgust and say how they prefer Family Guy.
    Actually, that's not true. I still hear much about The Simpsons and while I don't remember much from 10 years ago, The Simpsons isn't "out" and no one should be embarassed for being a fan of it. Some people prefer Family Guy, but many people still watch and prefer The Simpsons. In fact, I haven't heard many kids at school talk about Family Guy for a long time.

Blog Entries

So this is only an aesthetic change, right? Instead of a the Simpsons forums under a header on the main board page, it's just the same forums as subforums in the Simpsons forum? No different view of the kinds of threads and posts that can be made?

So there is nothing to complain about.
    Last edited by Real Melvin; 11-14-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: is what I meant to say

Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm totally embarassed. I have to quickly add "butonlythefirsttenyears" every time I admit to it

the change was necessary

Looks great, eric and friends.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Doom View Post
    I'm totally embarassed. I have to quickly add "butonlythefirsttenyears" every time I admit to it

the change was necessary
    That's sad, that's really really sad.

You are actually that concerned about whether or not people think you like the new episodes (which I know you don't)

I for one welcome our new off topic insect overlords.*

*(See what I did there? I made a reference to The Simpsons from when it was still remotely funny and/or culturally relevant.)

Seriously, I'm liking this change. The off topic stuff was why I came back.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

The cockroach of No Homers. Walter Pembroke the Third's Avatar
    Does it matter? I'll just put a joke here.

I'm so stupid that I'm going to check out the changes.

Blog Entries

Crap. Now we actually have to make worthwhile posts in the Video Games forum.

Nice changes. Now the only thing left is ditching Zeus.

chinese martian physicist HRH Sir Prince Charles's Avatar

I dig this move. I always kind of considered this place an off topic forum with some Simpsons sections on it, anyway so it's not a huge deal for me. This is seriously one of the coolest forums I've ever posted on, so I'm happy just to be here.

Hired Goon

really great work all around eric, et al

so who wants to update our wikipedia page?

gave his life for tourism Magnum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

this has seemed like the obvious move for a while now, but seeing such high support really illustrates how it was a good idea to wait until virtually everyone would be on board
    Quote Originally Posted by tones
    I was born with a wah-wah pedal

nice work team. big fan of the changes.

chinese martian physicist HRH Sir Prince Charles's Avatar

i kind of thought the move was obvious after the last update changed the banner at top to downplay the simpsons

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

Blog Entries

One question:

What if The Simpsons suddenly has another surge of popularity (like it did about three years ago)?

Thread Information