Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Rocko's Modern Life - Returning this year, any other fans of this show?

Apart from The Simpsons (which I'm absolutely obsessed with) another show that I really love which is absolutely brilliant in my opinion is Rocko's Modern Life. I'm not sure if any of you guys here have watched this before in depth but it kind of has the same appeal and cleverness as The Simpsons does in regards to getting in all those adult jokes yet keeping it great for family viewing (in the 90's anyway).

Looking back on it it does make you think 'Wow, how did they get away with that' like how did people not notice kinda thing, however of course when the show was on we were in a much less PC world back then but even then it's still surprising we never noticed it or picked up on it.

Have a watch of this video here of the 40 dirtiest jokes from Rocko's Modern Life:

>>>> http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18...odern-life_fun <<<<

(If anyone can embed Daily Motion videos here please edit the post to do that as I'm not sure Daily Motion video's can be embedded like Youtube).

It's very clever like The Simpsons but it takes that kinda vibe to notice it and pick up on it, hence why I thought many Simpsons fans might also really love the show.

It's coming back this year too and the creator Joe Murray is having the cartoon hand drawn and keeping it as true to the original as possible which I think they will do a great job of.

So thoughts, anyone else here a fan of Rocko's Modern Life? Honestly the show is absolutely brilliant and it's completely underrated.

If you haven't watched it again as an adult or in depth then I really recommend you doing so, as many people are Simpsons fans here I do feel that a lot of you will like this as an adult as you do see it completely different to what you may have done when you were a kid kinda thing. It's brilliant.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear some thoughts and vibes from you guys

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is the show actually getting a full revival or is it just a movie?

Blog Entries

Just a TV movie.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRibbonCommittee View Post
    Is the show actually getting a full revival or is it just a movie?
    It's getting a one off special. Have a read of this here if you like

Rocko Special Moves On
    I can share these thumbnails from the Rocko Special board since we cut the scenes out later on. The project is under strict control after all. This was a scene where Spunky becomes radioactive after drinking a power drink. Poor Spunky.

What I can share is that the details are getting closely watched. We are painting the backgrounds traditionally rather than digitally. There is actually pencils and paper getting used ( which is a rarity these days). I’m enjoying working for Nickelodeon where I didn’t think I would, and my crew is full of superstars and future superstars.

Flying to Washington DC in a couple weeks to finish up details for the Luna Production. Want to get in there before Trump comes in and paints the White House gold.
    Source: http://joemurraystudio.com/blog/

Blog Entries

i think I used to watch the show when I was little and yet I felt unaware of the dirty jokes in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by angeldeb82 View Post
    i think I used to watch the show when I was little and yet I felt unaware of the dirty jokes in the show.
    I think we all did lol Did you watch that video from Daily Motion lol

Blog Entries

Don't see the point in reviving it, the future episode with Filbert's kids was a great send-off

Lots of reasons really @Dark Homer, there's been a huge demand for it. If you go on Youtube and search Rocko's Modern Life Returns you'll see all sorts in regards to it . I agree with the send off but there seems to be a lack of magic that these cartoons had now which is probably why there's such a demand for them as even kids who watch current day cartoons a lot of them prefer these if they're introduced to them.

I also feel that Rocko is the only cartoon really along with The Simpsons in regards to how clever they are with the whole family viewing but keeping in that adult humour too to the point where it's ok to view by various audiences (simply cause kids don't catch on to the adult humour within it) like how The Simpsons do, it's really good

Apart from The Loud House there's not really many cartoons that are very good now. The Loud House is brilliant and Adventure Time is good too. Regular Show etc.. and to a degree Gumball is alright but in general they don't really compare to the previous cartoons give and take a few so it's a nice welcome I think for Rocko to return

It should be good

Blog Entries

I'm fine with it as long as it's just a TV movie. A small novelty that's easily throwawable.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by Steamed Mr Bergstrom View Post
    It's getting a one off special. Have a read of this here if you like
    Source: http://joemurraystudio.com/blog/
    I can share these thumbnails from the Rocko Special board since we cut the scenes out later on. The project is under strict control after all.
    Because God forbid that any planes crash into the ground...

True story: the episode with the first Bloaty & Squirmy (please, please, please, pleasepleaseplease, PLEASE, did I mention please, tell me they'll be in the movie in some way) story was pulled from Nickelodeon (and even in the days when Nicktoons would air the show pretty much every day, complete with "Leap Frogs," they kept this one off) because the other story dealt with Rocko and Heffer flying to a comic book convention, only for the plane to crash, and somebody decided they didn't want to trigger memories of 9/11.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I'm fine with it as long as it's just a TV movie. A small novelty that's easily throwawable.
    Yeah I think that's all it's going to be. I've heard Hey Arnold are doing one too from what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

True story: the episode with the first Bloaty & Squirmy (please, please, please, pleasepleaseplease, PLEASE, did I mention please, tell me they'll be in the movie in some way) story was pulled from Nickelodeon (and even in the days when Nicktoons would air the show pretty much every day, complete with "Leap Frogs," they kept this one off) because the other story dealt with Rocko and Heffer flying to a comic book convention, only for the plane to crash, and somebody decided they didn't want to trigger memories of 9/11.
    Yeah, I think for the movie they'll probably try incorporate all the characters in some way. I know that with regular Nickelodeon now people have been concerned about if they'll have to water it down but they have The Splat now too which air current Rocko episodes in the US so if they can be supported by the channel I'm sure this will be too and I'm pretty sure they want to keep the same level of humour within the show they originally had what people loved and made it so popular in the first place, so it should be good I think

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

They played Rocko on Nick still by late 2001?

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    They played Rocko on Nick still by late 2001?
    Occasionally. It was mainly on Nicktoons by then (back when Nicktoons didn't have commercials, other than ads for its own shows).

Yeah Rocko was on Nicktoons a lot. They still air it in the UK on Nicktoons but they're so annoying with it cause they'll bring it back for a few weeks and then it'll be off for months just to repeat more Sanjay & Craig or whatever which is on all the time anyway constantly. Then they'll bring it back for a week and it'll be off for ages again, it's like make your mind up.

There's a 2017 bumper of it here on Youtube.

The Splat should have it's own channel really as it's clearly massively popular and way more popular than the regular Nicktoons that apart from The Loud House (and Spongebob I guess) the shows are pretty bad on there and are constantly repeated over and over.

Junior Camper

Great show, loved it since i was 11.

Blog Entries

preview clip
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

I'm surprised at how not terrible it is. The modern jokes are eye rollin' as all fuck, of course, but it doesn't actually seem all that different. O-Town was always ridiculous and now they have so much more to be ridiculous about. Enjoyed seeing Rocko get pummeled in the theater; moments like that are definitely what I remember from the old show.

The animation and design are sleek. It's weird seeing it so clean and crisp and yet it's not devoid of life or character.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

yeah, i'm so used to that grubby, dark look of the original, but i kind of like this.

Blog Entries

Seeing it so colorful is weird

Blog Entries

The art and animation looks great and I appreciate the meta-ness of returning from the 90s to comment on today, cliche starbucks/iphone jokes notwithstanding

But shouldn't Filbert already be aware of all these changes... my precious canon...

Blog Entries

apparently they have confirmed this was animated entirely by hand

http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2017/0...tic-cling.html

that's interesting, the first major animated project to be animated by hand since edd ed n eddy nearly 15 years ago.

Blog Entries

wow visually that looks super good. can't believe it's cel based. thats nuts. was saying i can't imagine the rocko style in digital and i guess nick can't either. premise is cool too but yeah hope they don't just nail it into your head like this for the whole runtime

Hand-drawn holy shit

Blog Entries

Wats so surprising to me is the fact that while it is hand-drawn, it certainly doesn't look like it. It might be the fact that I'm so used to not seeing around anymore, but I'm loving it.

Nickelodeon has received a ton of criticism over the years, but at least we can trust them for their reboots. I especially love the whole phone joke: "I just got the 8! ....9?! .....10?!"

The only problem I have with the reboot is not the reboot itself, but how quickly I believe it may become outdated. The old show had such a timeless feel, while this one seems to make jokes based off modern events.

Still though, definitely looking forward to it.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Nickelodeon had been on a roll lately, so I'm really looking forward what the revivals have to offer. November and whatever day this is coming needs to hurry up so I can watch the Jungle Movie and this TV Movie.
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

her cocoa is so chuggable PreciousBodilyFluids's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NHC's Resident Bart View Post
    The only problem I have with the reboot is not the reboot itself, but how quickly I believe it may become outdated. The old show had such a timeless feel, while this one seems to make jokes based off modern events.
    um

her cocoa is so chuggable PreciousBodilyFluids's Avatar

Rocko's Timeless Life

Blog Entries

What I meant is the fact that Rocko's Modern Life could be applied to any modern life, whether that be now or 20 years ago. Many of those problems still persist today.

The reboot still looks amazing, though.

Rocko's Timeless Life sent me into a laugh.

Blog Entries

They were pretty satirical about 90s consumerism, just that the jokes weren't quite as overdone and on-the-nose as Starbucks/iPhone jokes. Otherwise it's pretty in line with Rocko.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

I remember watching the Rocko's Modern Life episode "Leap Frogs" and was too young and innocent to know that Bev Bighead is acting like she's in love with Rocko, even though her marriage to Ed Bighead is troubled (no wonder that episode got banned after many years of getting stuff past the censors). Rocko does call him off for insulting her and trying to split up with her, though.

Thread Information