Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Beavis & Butt-Head general discussion

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Beavis & Butt-Head general discussion

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-4...0-new-episodes

any thoughts? i, for one, would not mind this at all. in fact, i might even be excited about it.

i watched B&B in its original run as a 12-year-old metalhead and loved it without understanding its satire of Gen X and the decline of America, in general. i didn't see it or even think about it for many years and then decided to look it up on youtube a couple years ago. let me tell you, not only does it hold up, it's actually funnier to me now than it was back then. watching it as an adult, you see it for more than its fart jokes and realize that it's actually high-brow "low-brow" comedy. plus, B&B are two of the funniest, most nihilistic walking id's ever to be unleashed on an unsuspecting public.

seeing as how mike judge has pretty much had a flawless record since then (minus "extract," maybe), i'd love to see how these would turn out. would they make fun of current videos? old videos? does MTV even show videos anymore?

What a coincidence. I took last week off to write and ended up watching the entire series (200, 5-8 minute eps) again for the first time in years and came to the same conclusion. I laughed my fucking ass off. I would definitely check out new episodes. I agree that they are even funnier to me at 29 then they were when I was 13-14.

In fact, my sig below is a quote from either the episode where Beavis thinks he is pregnant or B&B sit in on a girl's development video in the high school.

Butthead: Morning sickness is disgusting. huh huh
    Beavis: Yeah, heh heh..... I'd much rather have morning wood.
    Heckling a Puppet show.

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: jordan, Steve

Blog Entries

genius show

I love when they go to the gas station and ask for gas, without understanding that they need a car or even some sort of container. They don't even understand how liquid works.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan View Post
    genius show

I love when they go to the gas station and ask for gas, without understanding that they need a car or even some sort of container. They don't even understand how liquid works.
    Attendant: Just pull your car in.
    Butthead: What? huh huh
    Attendant: How do you expect me to change the oil?
    Butthead: uhhhhhhhhhhhh, huh huh
    Attendant: Oh, I get it. You guys are "Do-It-Yourselfers"
    Butthead: Beavis is a "Do-It-Yourselfer" huh huh
    Beavis: Heh Heh Yeah! Heh Heh

Blog Entries

I have this amazing interview between John K and Mike Judge, it goes on for pages and pages and it's awesome

Anyway, Mike Judge says how the writers were always pitching these big stories, like "Beavis and Butt-head go to France" kind of things, but his favorites were the really small retarded ones. Then he mentioned the episode where they get stuck on that tiny little island in the mall waterfountain, and how that idea just makes him laugh so much.

Hired Goon

i would watch new episodes in a heartbeat. in fact, i did kind of the same thing as lawnie awhile back. downloaded the entire series and watched a bunch of episodes over a two-day span of being off work, and i laughed more during that than when i was much younger. perhaps it was because a bunch of the jokes flew over my head when i was 11? regardless, i love beavis & butt-head

i've also been finally getting around to watching the state. it took me longer than it should have to discover '90s mtv ruled

plus, the secondary characters are all hilarious in their own rights: mr. van driessen, coach buzzcut ("KICK ME IN THE JIMMY!"), principal mcvicker, stuart and his parents, todd, mr. anderson, daria.. brilliant show.

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: joe

Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do they re-run this series at all? I haven't seen it in a few years but I remember it being bloody hilarious

"Sometimes, when I have a boner that wont go down, I listen to this kind of music" - Butthead, RE: Radiohead's Fake Plastic Trees

Quote Originally Posted by law'n View Post
    Attendant: Just pull your car in.
    Butthead: What? huh huh
    Attendant: How do you expect me to change the oil?
    Butthead: uhhhhhhhhhhhh, huh huh
    Attendant: Oh, I get it. You guys are "Do-It-Yourselfers"
    Butthead: Beavis is a "Do-It-Yourselfer" huh huh
    Beavis: Heh Heh Yeah! Heh Heh
    This was because their Burger World boss told them to change the oil in the fry vat, right?

I'd love new episodes. I think it's been rumored/talked about since he was working on the DVD releases.

Also, aren't some of the old episodes in some form "lost"? That might be something else I'm remembering from the DVD set. Either that or MTV has them locked away and isn't talking.
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

yeah, it was in response to Jordan's post. Same episode.

they were so rooted in the 90's, though.. how do you think it would translate to this decade? i hope they're not making fun of youtube videos and twitter feeds.

Quote Originally Posted by RembrandtQEinstein View Post
    they were so rooted in the 90's, though.. how do you think it would translate to this decade? i hope they're not making fun of youtube videos and twitter feeds.
    my coworker just expressed the same concerns.

I know I am in the minority here, but the videos were my least favorite part of the show. They were fucking funny a lot of times, but other times, I found them overly repetitive as the years went on. I enjoy the hell out of the actual show.

Hired Goon

Quote Originally Posted by blueguy View Post
    Also, aren't some of the old episodes in some form "lost"? That might be something else I'm remembering from the DVD set. Either that or MTV has them locked away and isn't talking.
    i remember one time judge said he didn't want to release a good number of episodes on dvd because he basically thought they sucked, but i've never heard of any episodes being lost

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    i remember one time judge said he didn't want to release a good number of episodes on dvd because he basically thought they sucked, but i've never heard of any episodes being lost
    Yep

The Mike Judge Collections have been the subject of heavy criticism amongst fans. This is mostly due to the DVD sets not being proper season sets and missing many episodes. All of Season 1 is missing and most of Season 2 is not included either. A number of episodes from remaining seasons have been excluded as well. This was explained via a note included in The Mike Judge Collection, Volume 1 in which Mike Judge writes "I've often said there's about a third of Beavis and Butt-head that I think is great and I'm really proud of, another third that is okay, and then another third that's really awful and embarrassing. A while back, I talked with the folks at MTV and we agreed to put out a DVD set that would contain the two thirds that didn't suck and call it The Mike Judge Collection." Despite this, proper season sets with all episodes intact remain highly coveted by fans.
    Kind of dickish of him. Release the whole series, dammit.

For example, the episode where they cut their hair and glue it to their face to make beards and then go to the mall to pick up girls is one of my favs. As is the one where they collect roadkill and try to sell it to a fur coat shop. But I guess those aren't up to Judge's standards. Neither are included on any of the DVDs

some of the super-early ones are pretty embarrassing, art-wise and content-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    Ok, found what I was remembering.
    In an interview included with the recent Mike Judge Collection DVD set, Judge denied being certain if some of the earlier episodes still existed in their uncensored form.
    Quote Originally Posted by law'n View Post
    Yep

Kind of dickish of him. Release the whole series, dammit.

For example, the episode where they cut their hair and glue it to their face to make beards and then go to the mall to pick up girls is one of my favs. As is the one where they collect roadkill and try to sell it to a fur coat shop. But I guess those aren't up to Judge's standards. Neither are included on any of the DVDs
    I haven't seen the DVDs since they came out, but I seem to remember being very disappointed Ball-Breaker wasn't included since that was probably my favorite episode. It was the one where they stole Mr. Anderson's bowling ball trying to break it open thinking there was plutonium in the center.

Blog Entries

just the plot descriptions alone make me laugh

YES someone put this online:

http://www.inthe80s.com/july1995/animate/beavis.html

John K interviews Mike Judge. MUST READ. Two funny cartoonists just shooting the shit.

Morman Standard Time Ihaveblink's Avatar

One of my favorite shows as a kid. Some of my favorite parts are when they watch videos and make fun of them. So I hope they stick to that.

Blog Entries

New episodes would be awesome! Never watched the show during its original run, but I have watched it throughout the past seven years or so. My friend is a huge B&B fan, I'm sure he will be quite excited bout this. This is awesome.

Plus, for the music video portion of the show, he could use modern rap/hip-hop videos. Also just other shitty rock and "metal" videos. Be cool to see B&B make fun of that little fag Justin Bieber, haha.

Blog Entries

i did like the fact that they pulled everything apart for the dvd sets

the music videos are definitely mostly bad

i don't know about the idea of new episodes. even outside of the videos, it almost seems like beavis and butthead could only work at the specific moment in time it was created. i think the show just epitomizes the 90's and everything seems so different now. the idea just feels off to me.

i'll probably given it a chance anyway but for discussion's sake...

i didn't really catch this while it was running, i downloaded it a bunch of eps back in college. i was really surprised i was laughing so hard. i love mike judge. the nose bleed episode is a favorite (in the link jordan posted).

butt head: can you get me one of those things you put in your thing when you're on your thing?

Beavis: Hey Beavis, you know how sometimes we get a ride home from school, and there's all those dudes crammed together in the backseat?

Butt-head: Yeah, why?

Beavis: Um, heh heh, it is normal to get wood?

Butt-head: Beavis, you boner-popping pervert... it's not even normal to ASK!

gave his life for tourism Magnum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hahaha fuck yes. it does seem like every cartoon that returns after a hiatus gets diminished somehow, but judge is solid and not really lazy with his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    i don't know about the idea of new episodes. even outside of the videos, it almost seems like beavis and butthead could only work at the specific moment in time it was created. i think the show just epitomizes the 90's and everything seems so different now. the idea just feels off to me.

i'll probably given it a chance anyway but for discussion's sake...
    but have fourteen year old metal heads really changed? yeah it was a commentary on the 90s, and all this kevin smith dude-bro slacker stuff was real big back then. but outside of the videos, nothing about the show really seems so out of place now.
    Quote Originally Posted by tones
    I was born with a wah-wah pedal

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

I would love to see it return, but not sure how it would translate in modern times. I feel like it would have to have higher production value and be more like the movie.

I can't decide if I'd want the music videos to return or not.

Hired Goon

speaking of videos, i first learned of wilco thanks to beavis and butt-head

box full of letters

the movie sucked, right? I don't remember it.

Blog Entries

i like the movie well enough.

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

I thought the general consensus on here was that the movie was one of the better of the animated sitcom movies?

gave his life for tourism Magnum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it was fun enough

Thread Information