Shocked "Good Idea, Bad Idea, Badder Idea" (original animated short by me)

I posted this in the "last cartoon you watched" thread, but forbiddendonut advised me that it should be in its own thread (thank you muchly!).

So, I was watching Animaniacs this past week for the first time in forever and I was reminded how much I like those "Good Idea/Bad Idea" things, even though most of them are pretty corny now. Anyway, so, I've been stuck at home sick for the last 2 days, so I decided I'd make a cartoon. I started out with wanting to do an episode of "Good Idea/Bad Idea" from Animaniacs, and it turned into... well, here ya go:

This is by far the darkest thing I've ever made, but I have a sick love for dark humor, hahaha.

I also posted it on newgrounds last night and it's actually doing pretty well there, to my surprise! I fucked up by not making it with a pre-loader and by reconverting it a bunch of times, worsening the picture quality, but since this was my first go at submitting something there, I'm glad it's doing ok.

As always, the comments section is my greatest pleasure to read. I love hearing peoples reviews/thoughts on these things because I find it interesting to see how people interpreted/misinterpreted it. Link:
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/539114

Anyhoo, just thought I'd share. If this goes ok, I might make some more 'toons just for the hell of it. Cheers!
    Last edited by Tomacco; 06-26-2010 at 09:43 AM.
    Signature.

streets ahead

I love dark humor too and really enjoyed that. Well animated and flowed very nicely. Definitely do more!

haha that was quite good

loved the choice of music, animation was quite smooth as well. And yeah I wouldn't mind more installments.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

that was pretty funny
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

haha loved the musical interlude at the end. i wanna see more!
    We got no food, we got no jobs, our PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

Hired Goon

Hahahaha oh shit

Blog Entries

that was really great

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Haha, well done Tomacco. I like how the Badder Idea is such a contrast to the cartooniness of the Bad Idea.

The lighter was a nice touch too.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

That was cool! .. What animation program did you use?

Thanks everyone! I will try to make another cartoon of some sort sometime soon. This has been encouraging, especially since I just made it up as I went along and did it in the span of 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    That was cool! .. What animation program did you use?
    Flash.

In Amazing Scentovision Ray Jay Jonah's Avatar

Sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    but then again they could say the plot was about lisa taking a shit on skinner's face and i'd probably hold out some hope for it

streets ahead

Holy crap you changed your avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Holy crap you changed your avatar
    Yeah, haha, first time since 2001. Thought Road Rage was outdated, figured I'd put a face to the name for once! Change is scary though, I might go back.

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

My god not for the fainthearted

professional lurker Property of Ned Flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bartyboy View Post
    lolz post/sig
    perhaps av too
    i might be wrong

The Hammer is my penis Capt Hammer's Avatar

That was incredible! really well done. Animation was awesome for flash, the story was certainly dark but laugh out loud funny and the complete randomness of the daugher's head going straight through the wall had me watching again and again and again.

Awesome stuff. Oh, and you were the guy with the amazing doritos commercial too, right? Seriously, keep animating! You have a gift for animating and telling a great, quick story!
    "Look, Marge, you don't know what it's like. I'm the one out there every day putting his ass on the line. And i'm not out of order! You're out of order. The whole freaking system is out of order. You want the truth? You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth! Because when you reach over and put your hand into a pile of goo, that was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do! Forget it, Marge. It's Chinatown!" - Homer's rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hammer View Post
    That was incredible! really well done. Animation was awesome for flash, the story was certainly dark but laugh out loud funny and the complete randomness of the daugher's head going straight through the wall had me watching again and again and again.

Awesome stuff. Oh, and you were the guy with the amazing doritos commercial too, right? Seriously, keep animating! You have a gift for animating and telling a great, quick story!
    Yeah that was me. Thanks a mil!

Quote Originally Posted by bartyboy View Post
    No, probably not, haha.

Blog Entries

This was really great. The timing on the ending card is absolutely perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    Flash.
    Reely? .. I've got ambivalent feelings about Flash,.. Its too hard for me, all those codes and action scripts.
    I'm absolutly certian that the whole thing could be made as user friendly as most apps, but I suspect its being kept in programmers mode on purpose, for several reasons,.. up-sales $$ on Flash accreditation classes and pricey books for starters. The same things I can accomplish with just a single button press on "Creatoons 3" would take 8 miles of code from Adobe Flash.
    How was your use with it? are you a smarty with codes or did you use some kind of short cuts?

farmer's market enthusiast Dylan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ahahah, that was so damn great
    bravo

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great stuff. Personally I would drop the voice-over and the wacky ending-music.

Who knew that playing tether ball indoors could have such terrible consequences?
    Great stuff. Loved the music at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Reely? .. I've got ambivalent feelings about Flash,.. Its too hard for me, all those codes and action scripts.
    I'm absolutly certian that the whole thing could be made as user friendly as most apps, but I suspect its being kept in programmers mode on purpose, for several reasons,.. up-sales $$ on Flash accreditation classes and pricey books for starters. The same things I can accomplish with just a single button press on "Creatoons 3" would take 8 miles of code from Adobe Flash.
    How was your use with it? are you a smarty with codes or did you use some kind of short cuts?
    Flash is the only program I've ever used for animation.. maybe I should check out this Creatoons thing since occasionally Flash can be finicky. I actually almost never use coding since I'm pretty sure the only use it has is for interactive videos for the web. I just use its basic animation features (layers, scenes, different types of frames, a few tweens here and there, basic sound features, and then just the tools like I would in Photoshop or Paint, haha). I feel like I have a long long way to go in terms of using the program to its full potential, even if just for animation purposes, not interaction/web stuff. Anyway, yeah... I'm bad at codes.

Hey guys. So, I've put this up on newgrounds and funnyordie, and based on the reaction I feel like this vid has potential to be seen by lots of people, but I just don't know how to go about it. Does anyone have any general suggestions on how to get a youtube video hits? Do you think there are some good blogs or anything I should be posting this on? I'm really interested in ideas, especially since online video is the "wave of the future" to some extent.

The Hammer is my penis Capt Hammer's Avatar

Dunno about youtube hits but you could always try a short film festival, not sure how common they are in toronto but if you look you could probably find one. Although the video may be too short. Anyway, keep trying and it'll get out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hammer View Post
    Dunno about youtube hits but you could always try a short film festival, not sure how common they are in toronto but if you look you could probably find one. Although the video may be too short. Anyway, keep trying and it'll get out there!
    Yeah, good idea, I haven't really searched around... I'm sure there's lots of stuff going on in Toronto. I'm not sure an Animaniacs parody would be a contender though, haha. I'm working on some other stuff now too though which can hopefully be more suitable.

It can't be all bad. -_- gilfan's Avatar

For a minute I was thinking it wasn't dark enough. Then the ending came.

I made this one this afternoon as part of an assignment for one of my courses:

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cinco

Thread Information