• 5/5: Chief of Hearts

40 26.14%
  • 4/5: Chief of Diamonds

47 30.72%
  • 3/5: Chief of Clubs

39 25.49%
  • 2/5: Chief of Spades

18 11.76%
  • 1/5: Chief of Rules for Draw and Stud Poker?

9 5.88%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review: Chief of Hearts (MABF09)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

This episode had the potential to be Cleveland show great, but ended up being just another Simpsons episode... which was Okay with me. Homer & the chief needed an episode to themselves. They gave Lisa the night off finally... and gave it all to Wiggum.
    Barts side story was funny and topical, drawing much needed attention to another pokey-duel pop culture item that was way past due for need of mentioning,.. error corrected. Alls forgiven! 5/5

I liked this episode, quite a bit. Some good laughs, some sweet moments, even the subplot which was weaker than the main plot worked for what it was worth.

I do think the first few minutes were pretty unnecessary though. Why not just have Homer already doing the community service and have him make a remark of how he ended up there? I do think that Chief Wiggum's giddy friendship behavior got a little annoying at times though, particularly near the end of act one. As time went on though, I bought into the friendship, and even found it touching. The things they were doing for each other were simple at first, then grew to be humorously ludicrous. By the time Wiggum had saved Homer's life, and Homer was at Wiggum's side at the hospital, the whole thing came off as genuinely sweet. I was afraid that things would get silly or over-the-top by the time Wiggum began resenting Homer, but even the climax, while a bit short, was grounded and fun. It was also nice to see their friendship not end due to convoluted coincidence, and the slideshow at the end was really funny too.

As for the subplot, yes I mentioned already that it was weaker than the main plot (the story of this season), but it didn't feel as disposable or unnecessary as usual. In fact, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't laughing out loud during Marge's little investigation of Bart's room. It was peculiar to see everyone jump straight into the idea of Bart taking drugs, I think it might have worked better if Marge overhearing the conversations out of context had happened earlier, or if there was more reason to everyone to leap to conclusions. The resolution was also a bit rushed, and I was waiting for a joke about how these games are as bad as drugs, but whatever. It didn't bother me nearly as much as usual though, again because it was funny enough. All in all I don't have major complaints with this episode, and what it did it did pretty well, this was a very enjoyable affair. 4/5
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Well, another low quality episode, no matter how below average this episode may be, this is bad TV in general, what is up with the writers of this show? Do they honestly think we are 5 years old? This is embarrasing for the simpsons, especially Marge, as stated by other posters, what kind of Mother wouldn't even consult with her own son when it came to the topic of drugs? Oh, wait, its a cartoon, lets have her rummage around Barts room, instead of going to him directly like any normal mom would do.

Anyway, my rating is 1/5, Homer and Clancys interaction was meh, and Bart's characterisation was pretty bad after the first act. The only thing I liked in this episode, was the music that played during the credits.
    Last edited by Kayasith; 04-18-2010 at 08:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kayasith View Post
    Well, another low quality episode, not terrible, like Greatest story ever dohed, but its still incredibly terrible
    how can something not be terrible, but be incredibly terrible at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanGLC View Post
    how can something not be terrible, but be incredibly terrible at the same time?
    Well, I shouldn't mix up words like that, anyway, I should edit my post a bit, anyway, I found this episode to be bad, not bad enough, that I would be embarrassed if I watched this particular episode with other people.

If, however, I were watching Greatest Story ever Dohed with other people, I would be ashamed to say I still liked the simpsons, anyway, I will do my best to not mix up words.

Some of the jokes were pretty good, but overall I'd give it a Meh, possibly an Eh if I was in a good mood.

The problem (I think) is that all there is no character development. Now I know that the show has a floating timeline, but still. All the characters have been explored too thoroughly, and hence new episodes are just a series of things that happen. Not like Lisa's Sax or Marge be Not Proud. I'm sorry to say it but I'm not really sure how the Simpsons can move past this, it seems like the show can never return to it's prime.

It can however mix things up alittle. Make it less formulaic - maybe make some changes to the dynamics of the family (although not like adding a Poochie). They could go into the Simpson's past a little more, or maybe make another permanent change (like Lisa's vegetarianism).

All I'm saying is, while the show is in decline, now is the time to try drastic things. Maybe they'll work, maybe they wont but it's now or never.

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

For the first time in a while I laughed lots in a Simpsons episdoe. The relationship between Homer and Clancy provided some good laughs although it did have some really lame moments. The Bart subplot was decent. For once in a long time both the plot and sub plots were good. B

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Elf Girl

Well Wiggum's one of my favorite characters so I may be a tiny bit biased here with the rating.

I did generally enjoy it but they really did go crazy overkill with the homo innuendo stuff. I mean, maybe one or two scenes would be fine but by the sitting on the cliff looking at the sunset scene I was just saying to myself "dude I get it, get on with it. lol". I'm all for bromance and stuff and hey, nothing against if it theoretically were to...actually be that but even if it were it'd still be pushing the joke a bit too much. I don't think Smithers has had this many innendo jokes in the span of like, 10 seasons. Some of the scenes though were I thought actually generally pretty touching stuff and I don't say that often; especially when he gets shot, and when they played up how he doesn't feel like he has any friends. I think he's a really potentially empathetic character but all the innuendo inbetween kind of took away from that a bit and it's really too bad because him almost dying was pretty genuine stuff for a moment.

The weirdest part to me not because of the innendo though, but just the sudden 180 is when he wakes up and suddenly he's all clingy and Homer gets pissed off. It just happens so quickly that I kinda scratched my head, though at least it got me that scene of him stomping out of Moe's shooting the ceiling which kinda made me laugh. It's kind of a sudden and awkward conflict to just suddenly inject in there, though the climax and how they escape and stuff was pretty cool. And at least the end didn't just come out of nowhere, it was coherant.

All and all it's give and take. The heart's in the right place imo with the idea and the character, and it's got some great scenes, but then a whole lot of fixation with innuendo inbetween. If it just...calmed down with that a bit I think it would have been a great episode. It kinda reminds me of the episode where Nelson and Bart become friends, and recent Bart and Milhouse episodes. Great ideas, great scenes, but just need to calm down with the super-bromance.

Not get rid of, just...chill a bit. Despite the weirdness, ep still reminds me why I think Wiggs is a great character. Plus it's funny but for some reason I saw a lot of Ralph in him the way he was here. I give it a 3. Least it's more directed than last week. I guess some may find the way everything is sort of funny too, but I personally think they could have gotten the same effect with a little throwaway or two.

Speaking of Ralph, his one line in this (surprisingly), wanting Bart to teach him how to play that was pretty classic Ralph. this one made me laugh too.

And the Sideshow Bob picture's pretty epic looking. Man, that one's coming up soon...ah Kelsey, what are they gonna do to you and Bob. lol

chinese martian physicist HRH Sir Prince Charles's Avatar

There were enough laughs to go around, but ultimately the entire thing was pretty "meh". I feel like the Clancy/Homer dynamic worked well enough, though it could have been better. The gay innuendo was just lazy, unfunny writing... when was the last time the show had a realistic feeling male friendship that didn't resort to gay jokes at some point? I liked seeing a more human side to Wiggum, I was touched by his little monologue about Ralph being worried and his distance from Sarah. Some nice development there.

The B plot was filler, but it was alright for what it was. I disliked the setup because it went nowhere and the drug angle made zero sense, but I still appreciated the comedy.

Overall, a 3/5... good for fourth on my season 21 ranking. I wish they had done this plot in the classic era, because I have a feeling it would have been an all-time great.

Oh... woo hoo, first post!
    Last edited by HRH Sir Prince Charles; 04-18-2010 at 10:13 PM.

It was nice to see Wiggum get a centric ep. Some of the jokes worked, some didn't. Wiggum's neediness came on rather abruptly and felt very contrived. The subplot with Bart did nothing for me except the "If you can handle dad" remark." In these days it's the best I hope for. 3/5

Yeah I'd love to have seen this general idea, he befriends him but guy gets shot on the job done in like...season 6-8. It's interesting to think how it may have turned out back then...ah well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InsanityPepper View Post
    It was nice to see Wiggum get a centric ep.
    wiggum got a spotlight as the antagonist for "wild barts can't be broken", and wasn't he taken in by the simpsons or something after he's fired in a recent episode that for the life of me I can't remember?

also: homer vs. the eighteenth amendment had wiggum in a pretty large role as well.

He's had large roles but never really something along the lines of the kind of episodes like the kind Apu, Krusty, Flanders for example have had. I've never really gotten it either, I think out of all the secondaries he seems like one of the no-brainers for an episode like that but well...I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by arii View Post
    And does anybody but the writers honestly think that lines like "WELL I'LL JUST LISTEN SOME MORE, TO GAIN CONTEXT" are funny? Seriously? It's clunky, unrealistic, and incredibly fucking stupid.
    I think the writing staff thinks it's "intelligent comedy" to shout "LOL THIS A CLICHE AND WE KNOW IT" at the audience. It's a funny gag once in a blue moon, but they've been inserting more and more such lines over the years and it's gotten well past the saturation point. It's a shameless attempt to be more like Family Guy, which is mildly bothersome.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyosuki View Post
    He's had large roles but never really something along the lines of the kind of episodes like the kind Apu, Krusty, Flanders for example have had. I've never really gotten it either, I think out of all the secondaries he seems like one of the no-brainers for an episode like that but well...I guess not.
    I was thinking of "poppa's got a brand new badge", which admittedly was small.

but he had a pretty centric role in "pranksta rap", so you could almost call that an episode for him. then again, I've forgotten most of it, so maybe not.

I think the writing staff thinks it's "intelligent comedy" to shout "LOL THIS A CLICHE AND WE KNOW IT" at the audience. It's a funny gag once in a blue moon, but they've been inserting more and more such lines over the years and it's gotten well past the saturation point. It's a shameless attempt to be more like Family Guy, which is mildly bothersome.
    Thing about fourth wall breaking meta dialogue to me is it's like a pencil. It can start out sharp but the more you use it without a break the flatter and clumsier it becomes.

It's definitely not stuff that should be relied on like a fall back yes?

Quote Originally Posted by IronmanGLC
    I was thinking of "poppa's got a brand new badge", which admittedly was small.

but he had a pretty centric role in "pranksta rap", so you could almost call that an episode for him. then again, I've forgotten most of it, so maybe not.
    That's probably one of the few exceptions, and it was one of the only good things about that episode imo though even there it was still sort of a tertiary story thread. It's too bad to me cause like I said I would have loved to have seen what they could do to him back in the glory days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
    I like this new guy. he knows what's up.

Blog Entries

Well this was the first episode since Rednecks and Broomsticks that I could just sit, watch, and enjoy. I've been trying for the last 5 episodes or more to take the show for its entertainment and stop reminding myself that, yes, it's terrible, and finally I've found success.

Partially due to the simplicity of it, and partially due to the lines in each plot letting me know they knew it was all obvious and cliched and flawed (Oh let me just listen out of context / most of Eddie and Lou's comments about the stupid friendship), the directing and animation and the relatively slow pace really just proved the ideal atmosphere for tasteless jokes and bad characterizations and off-kilter storytelling to simmer in the pot without aggravating the senses.

To borrow from that blog, it's Zombie Simpsons at its finest. Certainly not the most ambitious the show's been in years, and also behind some other prominent shows in the cinema department, but I think it found its mediocre groove. Nothing sticks out as terrific to bring up, but I really didn't have problems with most of what went on. The show's at least predictable.

I really have to say, though, Bart's been a horrible character this season.

Thinking of Bart as a total Pokemon/Digimon/Bakuman fanboy makes me chuckle a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyosuki View Post
    Thing about fourth wall breaking meta dialogue to me is it's like a pencil. It can start out sharp but the more you use it without a break the flatter and clumsier it becomes.

It's definitely not stuff that should be relied on like a fall back yes?
    Very apt, I absolutely agree.

There's also the fact that if you feel the need to break the fourth wall and tell the audience "Yes, we know this is a stupid gag straight out of the Three's Company Guide to Sitcom Mixups", it probably says something about the gag... instead of trying be "crazy" by acknowledging how lame your writing is, why not try to improve the storyline?

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanGLC View Post
    I like this new guy. he knows what's up.
    Thank you kindly... I've been reading these reviews for a while now, I think you guys are pretty right on in your opinions.

Did anyone pause and read Homer's list of crimes? I did. Classic!
    Last edited by UndeadSamurai01; 05-02-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Yeah I actually screenshotted that myself, he looks so funny.

How come no one has mentioned nice John Swartzwelder homage?

Also, I believe this is the first episode in which Eddie has a line since S18 Stop or My Dog Will Shoot! Though it was one single line against 8-9 of Lou's.
    Moreover, we saw Herman as a background character but predictably they skipped his part.

All in all, the episode was blatantly average. Plenty of awkward and unoriginal moments (such as Otto's drug "hallucination"). Though compared to some other episodes from this season it was way beyond the worst.
    3/5.

Blog Entries

I like that his eyes are noted as black, but didn't we learn that the characters actually have colored irises in "little orphan millie"?

Maybe he just has black eyes regardless.

Blog Entries

looking at it that way, real-life homer got even creepier than before. imagine this without the green iris:

I don't want to imagine him like that in general. lol

Like I don't want to imagine this:

Blog Entries

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

remember how Paul McCartney had blue eyes

that was creepy

Blog Entries

that hobbes hardly looks anything like a real tiger. more like a cgi hobbes rendering.

Thread Information