Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cleveland Show

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    I love how it never changes, like they only ever got Mike Henry to record "No no no no nooooo" once and just used it every time.

Seriously though, the only time that gag ever raised a smile from me was in the first Cleveland episode because of Junior hanging onto the toilet.
    The only time I ever laughed at it was the version that got cut from the first draft of "The Courtship of Stewie's Father" ("I would say 'Oh no, not again', but this has never happened before.")

I never got into The Cleveland Show, though not for lack of trying. It just laid there on the screen, not giving a shit whether I laughed at it or not. Can't say I'd miss it. (I've made several attempts to give Seth MacFarlane's shows a fair shake, and American Dad is still the only one that entertains me.)

Nineteen-Ninety-Something
    A webcomic about my favorite decade
    and the characters who made it interesting

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creepy View Post
    Here's FIVE non-rock songs I like:
    Take On Me
    Hello
    Mad World
    Unreal Superhero 3
    Lisa Frank 420/Modern Computing
    So i'm not a rockist

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    What's shocking is that they didn't even allow it to get to 100 episodes, instead ending with 90. They could've made even more syndication money with at least a fifth season.
    Honestly, I'm shocked at that too, you'd think they'd be able to make a big deal out of "CLEVELAND IS COMING TO A CLOSE! BUT IT'S A CELEBRATION! FOR THE 100th EPISODE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Krikt View Post
    I know this isn't a popular opinion here, but I think The Cleveland Show was more enjoyable than Family Guy and American Dad.
    I'd rather those two get cancelled and maybe this could have one more mediocre season or two.
    I agree with you that I liked it more than Family Guy, but American Dad will always be the best IMO. With Cleveland, it partly stems from the main characters not being terrible people like the Griffins. Cleveland as a character on his own show is much more likeable than Peter, Junior is way more entertaining than Chris, Donna's not as much of a bitch as Lois, Rallo can't be compared to Stewie but I'll be damned if he's not enjoyable too. The only weak character in the Brown/Tubbs clan is Roberta.

YOU HEAR THAT FG STAFF!? YOUR SAVING GRACE HERE IS MEG!
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

The Cleveland Show did, at the very least, do a pretty funny Die Hard parody.

Remember how FOX ordered a second season of the show before the first season even aired (the series was delayed by six months)? Boy FOX you kinda screwed yourself there.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

The Cleveland Show did, at the very least, do a pretty funny Die Hard parody.

Remember how FOX ordered a second season of the show before the first season even aired (the series was delayed by six months)? Boy FOX you kinda screwed yourself there.
    Frankly the entire reason why they made the show a mystery to me

Blog Entries

@Ryan the Die Hard parody was great. I actually prefer it over the FG Star Wars eps.

As for ordering a second season beforehand. I think the reasoning was due to the pilot getting a lot of praise when it was leaked.

Blog Entries

Ugh that 3rd FG Star Wars parody was awfull, I wish I haden't bought that Blu-ray, worst 7 bucks I ever spent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke of Insomnia View Post
    Ugh that 3rd FG Star Wars parody was awfull, I wish I haden't bought that Blu-ray, worst 7 bucks I ever spent.
    Aside from that one super long shitty gag of them all nodding back and forth, I liked it. Even that gag had a good enough payoff (The Caddyshack clip).

This is the only reason I looked at this thread.

Blog Entries

As for ordering a second season beforehand. I think the reasoning was due to the pilot getting a lot of praise when it was leaked.
    IIRC, the order was done well before the pilot was leaked. Mostly since people were really, really bewildered.

Blog Entries

Mostly since people were really, really bewildered.
    Sorry, but I don't quite get what you mean. Bewildered by what exactly?

Blog Entries

By the renewal itself, seeing as nobody had seen the show beyond its godawful premise.

Blog Entries

If they hadn't renewed it before even airing Season 1, I'm questioning whether they honestly would've renewed it at all. After two seasons it's far more likely that a show has redeemed itself or otherwise grown on people, especially with an enlarged budget, but it's possible to still hate something after watching the entire first (e.g. Full English, which is ALWAYS relevant when we're talking TCS shittiness).

I agree that TCS characters are overall more likeable than FG, but it lacks something (if not humour, originality or excitement?) which makes me forget to watch it / not feel enthusiastic about catching up. I still watch FG because it can be good, or bad to the extent that discussion is enjoyable - AD because it's had more good episodes than bad, therefore worth continuing to trust. The best thing they can do for TCS is to bring everything back inside the FG world and create a happy medium where the worst ideas simply don't get used. Conflict between the two families could fuel an entire season, and it could make both things better. I was disappointed with the supposed crossover where these two shows were concerned, where with AD I was actually relieved that they managed to keep it separate from Family Guy. Unlike the Smiths, the Browns actually belong inside Family Guy in more ways than the obvious, and if they sacked the crappiest writers from both shows I would consider the product an achievement virtually no matter what. FG keeps trying to do things its team are not equipped for, but maybe the problem is that talent gets farmed out to the other shows upon creation. It's overcrowded. More likely they'll just make those cancellation quips and let the Griffins take a giant shit on Cleve's family every few episodes as a "nod" to the ex-viewers.
    Last edited by kes; 01-31-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

Party time... excellent...

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actually thought that one was better than the second one but not as good as the first. The second Star Wars parody was just a whole bunch of rehashed Family Guy jokes in a Star wars setting where as the 3rd and 1st had MOSTLY new material..
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

Blog Entries

I barly remember the second one, so It might be worse for all I know.

Blog Entries

I don't know why, but I don't really like Blue Harvest now. I think I've just seen it too many times.

All of those Star Wars episodes were boring.

The Crime-Solving Boat Knightboat's Avatar

It was never going to last.
    Simpsons Tapped Out ID: Knightboat89

Zombies Rise from the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by Redem View Post
    Frankly the entire reason why they made the show a mystery to me
    It's not as big as a mystery once you think about it. FG and AD do well in syndication and it was figured that if there was a third McFarline series than syndication would jump on it and run the hell out of it both to have something to air and to capitalize on the popularity of Family Guy. It didn't matter how shitty it was, once it reached the magic number, they could just syndicate it and focus their efforts on the shows with the true longterm value; TCS is just a temporary money grab in Fox's eyes.

I agree with you that I liked it more than Family Guy, but American Dad will always be the best IMO. With Cleveland, it partly stems from the main characters not being terrible people like the Griffins. Cleveland as a character on his own show is much more likeable than Peter, Junior is way more entertaining than Chris, Donna's not as much of a bitch as Lois, Rallo can't be compared to Stewie but I'll be damned if he's not enjoyable too. The only weak character in the Brown/Tubbs clan is Roberta.!
    I used to see American Dad! as the highlight of the animation line-up but then Bob's Burgers happened and American Dad! declined significantly in popularity.

You make a good point about the family actually being likeable. I also think it's just fresher; he's got his own odd group of friends who all lend themselves to a range of plots not possible in Family Guy. Peter only has Quagmire and Joe who feel exhausted now. There's no Kendra to spice things up.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Evans View Post
    BEST POST IN NO HOMERS CLUB HISTORY PERIOD! I laughed so hard and read that bottom point in Stewies voice. God Seth Macfarlane is a talent less hack blowhard!
    A talent less hack blowhard, yet you admit to reading that post in one of his voices. Yes, no talent at all...
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    A talent less hack blowhard, yet you admit to reading that post in one of his voices. Yes, no talent at all...
    Just because I read it in his voice doesn't mean the voice is good or he's talented. Half the characters he voices sound similar to another character he voices. He has no range and can't compare to the likes of Mel Blanc, Hank Azaria, Billy West, Dan Castellenetta, Tara Strong, John Dimaggio I could go on and on with this...

The only characters that Seth has that are truely unique is Stan and Roger from American Dad and he can sing. So he's not 100% talentless more like 85%

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Krikt View Post
    You make a good point about the family actually being likeable. I also think it's just fresher; he's got his own odd group of friends who all lend themselves to a range of plots not possible in Family Guy. Peter only has Quagmire and Joe who feel exhausted now. There's no Kendra to spice things up.
    Kendra? Really? I'm not saying she's a bad character but she's more or less Toot from "Drawn Together" on a rascal.

I'd say Holt is the most interesting of Cleveland's friends, followed by Lester, then Terry, then Tim.

Oh, and while were talking about the side characters, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed this. Does anybody else think that Arianna (Tim's wife) is just what Lois would look like as a bear?

Blog Entries

Holy crap your right!

Blog Entries

Holy crap your right!
    I noticed it way back when the first trailer for the show came out.

Anybody else remember that The Cleveland Show was originally going to have a British family?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Startug View Post
    Anybody else remember that The Cleveland Show was originally going to have a British family?
    Yeah, Seth was going to voice the dad of that family but Mike Henry said they dropped that idea because the jokes didn't extend much beyond tea and crumpets. They got replace by Holt.

The design of the dad (You can see the whole family in an old promo image which I can't find at the moment) makes me think of Nigel Thornberry.

Would have been a SMASHINGly terrible idea anyway.

We already had the funny British people that were in "One if by Clam, Two if by Sea."

Edit: Wait, my bad, I meant Victorian-era people.

Blog Entries

Wow I never knew they were going to be british.

Blog Entries

Wow I never knew they were going to be british.
    Yeah, if I could find the old promo where Peter and Cleveland are just explaining the show to the audience, I'd post it. Cleveland says "We got a British guy Seth MacFarlane's gonna do the voice of but he wouldn't do it for this promo 'cause it didn't pay any extra"

The promo also has the original design of Lester. He looks totally different and his voice is much deeper. Cleveland says "We got a redneck living across the street" and it cuts to the original Lester looking at the camera outside his house saying "I'm not yet comfortable around black people".

Oh, and this exchange at the end before we hear the original version of the theme song.

Peter: "Any flashbacks, TV gags, cutaways?"
    Cleveland: "What kind of spin-off would we be if we didn't!? Any flashbacks, TV gags, cutaways... "
    Peter: "Spin-off? Sounds more like rip-off!"
    Cleveland: "You'll get a piece of this action."
    Peter: "I LOVE IT!"

Thread Information