View Poll Results: What did you think of "Whale Whores"?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

    3 8.57%
  • 4/5

    8 22.86%
  • 3/5

    10 28.57%
  • 2/5

    8 22.86%
  • 1/5

    6 17.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 65



Thread: Rate/Review South Park "Whale Whores"



(Users Browsing this Thread: )

  1. #1
    in the back of a pick-up Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    26,882
    Blog Entries
    5


    Rate/Review South Park "Whale Whores"

    Hey, guys, remember that thing called a R&R thread? Yeah, well here it is.

    Admittedly, I was pretty confused by this episode at first. Mostly because my friend's DVR cut off the ending. The third act seemed wildly random, almost crab people-esque. (as M&T discuss in their commentaries, dummy version). Amazing how one final scene puts everything in perspective.

    Interesting how the episode is literally split on its targets for the two last acts. Act one is a humorous introduction to the story, just littered with gags and jokes that build up to the main plot. Act two uses Stan's honest conviction to save the whales (and dolphins) to lampoon America's reality show obsession and those who take advantage of it. Act three goes into a completely separate area, using its entire build-up for one big jab at America's ego, in a somewhat hilariously random way.

    So, even though the episode was slightly bi-polar, I can't give it a fail because I'll admit I was kind of amused all the way through. And I laughed out loud quite a number of times. (Cartman was GREAT in this episode, not too much, not too little) Also, I'll be quoting "CHICKEN?!! AND COW??!!" for a long, long while. So, what the hell...

    4/5
    twitter

    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

  2. #2
    Stars and Stripes Forever D4C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mililani, HI
    Posts
    4,186
    Blog Entries
    5


    First half pretty much absolute crap. 3rd Japanese attack is when it quit being funny and was just "Oh boy another Japanese attack" Stan becoming a whale-hugger AND a captain of a boat ON a tv show is just ludicrous. I forgave the wrestling thing because it was completely over the top, buyt they acted like this was supposed to be played half-straight. ...No. Fuck you, that wouldn't happen. Cartman and Kenny gave me a couple laughs.

    The whole show seemed to be a "yes, those shows exist" type of humor. The reason they gave for Japanese whaling so much was lazy and stupid, though the payoff at the end did give me a smirk.

    Fucking Poor. 2/5 Cartman and Kenny saved it from a 1.

  3. #3
    d=(^_^)z kupomog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Mililani, HI
    Posts
    37,867


    Yeah it might be because I missed the first 5-10 minutes but it just wasn't that funny to me. Enola Gay thing made me laugh, though, as well as Cartman and Kenny. There was a joke that made me laugh real hard but uh I can't remember it....
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

  4. #4
    canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cowtown, Canada
    Posts
    4,188


    I enjoyed it for the most part but that was just really, really, really, really bizarre. Really.

    I've never seen, or even heard of, Whale Wars before and didn't really clue in until we saw an actual photograph of the dude they were ripping on... I think I ultimately enjoyed it more because of that. Sure, I was baffled, but at least I wasn't rolling my eyes at preachiness again.

    Cute how the whole thing was turned into a reality TV thing, but ultimately what made this episode enjoyable to me was a pretty decent Stan (my favourite character), and Cartman and Kenny. So... the boys.

  5. #5
    Mod, eh? Tomacco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,876


    Man, these days they're really into ripping apart lesser-known cable reality shows that not many people have heard of. Did they spend the summer at home watching TV all day?

    The episode was pretty typical season 10+ South Park in a lot of ways (overdone gore for a laugh, drama, conspiracies messing with history, ripping on TV shows, milking the same gags) and for that reason in general I'm getting increasingly disappointed and tired of South Park. But there were still some laughs to be had. Cartman singing Pokerface (hate the song, like Cartman's rendition), the doctored Enola Gay photo, and a couple other moments were good.
    Signature.

  6. #6
    where is everyone Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    huntsville, al
    Posts
    19,461


    it's a bad sign when i keep checking the time on my dvr to see how many more minutes i have to sit through. i've never even heard of whale wars, so maybe there were a lot of clever jabs i just didn't get. using real footage hiroshima victims took me out of the episode completely and i think ruined the anola gay joke. i think the one laugh for me was cartman singing that lady gaga song. were those the actual lyrics? guess i've never heard more than the chorus ... funny stuff. the larry king interview had a few funny lines as well.

    still, worst of the season, for me, and probably in my bottom five for the series.

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    The episode was pretty typical season 10+ South Park in a lot of ways (overdone gore for a laugh, drama, conspiracies messing with history, ripping on TV shows, milking the same gags)
    Yeah, I'm getting sick of all this stuff.
    The Japanese attacks weren't funny. I don't care about reality shows.
    Cartmans singing was funny at first, but I could have done without it in the montage. And the ending was really stupid.
    Some things were amusing but for the most part, it was just the same old tired stuff.

    2/5

  8. #8
    *RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,183


    Felt so very tired.

    From the get-go, I just didn't find anything very funny. The feudal spear-wielding depiction of the Japanese, the basic, humorless swearing, the...what, four or five separate, almost-identical assaults in the first two minutes? I don't know why Matt and Trey think an excessive amount of gore is funny in and of itself (or funny enough to repeat around eight times throughout the course of the episode), but I found myself rolling my eyes by the second attack. Plus, it was always timed so poorly--we get a couple seconds of the Japanese running up, a few seconds of the attack, then a few seconds of "shocked" silence afterwards (maybe with one of the Japanese swearing). Predictable, annoying, unfunny. Just bad.

    Stan's T-shirt memoir was a good gag though.

    An even worse offender than the repetitive dolphin/whale attacking scenes was the Whale Wars stuff. I've never heard of this show, and judging from the response, most people either haven't either or just don't really care that much. There are so many more relevant, interesting things to lampoon than some small documentary. The execution here was similarly cringe-worthy--mostly literally blanket statements along the lines of "This show is really stupid," "The captain is a jerk" etc. When the newspaper articles started showing up with the camera slowwwwly going over each of the "funny" headlines, I was about ready to turn it off. And the Whale Wars potshots just kept going and going and going. I DON'T CARE, GUYS. And the reality show gags were yet another example of South Park taking one joke and milking it for five minutes.

    The third act turned things around somewhat, with a slightly clever observation on environmentalism and a little bit of the good kind of ridiculous that this show can pull off. I also enjoyed the whales pulling out the competing reality show boat. These points and a few of Cartman's lines helped save this from a 1, but I still thought it pretty much sucked. Sorry about the huge review, but it's like they took everything that annoys me about the show and stuffed it into one episode. Easily one of the worst episodes, and the clear stinker of an otherwise decent season.

    1.5/5 D-
    My Nintendo webcomic,

  9. #9
    VOTE GHOST TYRANT 2020! D DEBBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vista, CA
    Posts
    19,818


    Pretty darned good-so far, Matt and Trey are having decent episodes.

  10. #10


    I'm thankful Tvtropes made me learn about whale wars a week ago, thought I didn't know it was a tv show

    Considering when this episode air and its suppose to take on Stan Birthday I can now pretend that I share the same birthday as him

    The Miami dolphin joke was great it payed back for how a bit boring the intro was

    The montage not really that good, Poker face don't really work

    Thoughts the whole angle "its a tv show" is pretty good, but you kinda see that they were going fight another tv show

    3/5 not really exctting

  11. #11
    the original Sex Pistol
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    just a coupla minutes from here
    Posts
    7,173


    Well, the episode wasn't great, but it has a couple of LOL moments. "Fuck you, Dolphins!!" But the gag that they're gonna kill the Miami Dolphins was sooo predictable, and so was the ending after Stan showed the picture with a chicken and a cow.
    I'd say 3.5/5, rounded up to 4/5

  12. #12


    Cartman singing Poker Face stole the show. And Cartman and Kenny's involvement made things much better. The thing about this episode is the humor remained throughout the whole episode (especially Cartman), where other "out there" crazy ones like Go God Go and Lice Capades were just humorless and stupid, too consumed in the drama/action. A Randy/one-character episode this was not, as originally expected. They've been doing so well this season with having no clunker episodes and I hope the remainer can be the same. I was so relieved with the conclusion, for I thought we were getting another dreadful 2-parter. This has been easily the best half-season in years. 5/5

    What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

  13. #13
    JizzingOnBono HappyPalooza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    right behind you aaaaaaahhhh
    Posts
    1,720


    Cartman and Kenny were fantastic. I liked his Poker Face rendition. Otherwise, same old shit.

  14. #14
    Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,225


    For the entire first half of the episode, I was seriously confused - I wasn't sure if they were serious or actually making a parody of their own preachy style and over-the-top plots. Come on, "save the whales" ? It doesn't get much more generically preachy than that. I also seriously doubt its an issue Matt & Trey care about, and they're just bitching about something just because they can.

    Then, its like they just draw a character out of a hat when picking which character should be the "preachy" one for the episode. In this case, Stan. I also hate when they can't find any other way to advance the plot beyond having something go terribly wrong within 15 seconds of the beginning of the show.

    Nobody knows or cares about Whale Wars or has even heard of it, so why pick on it? Oh, look how clever we are, we devoted yet another episode to mocking a reality show.

    The final message was also illogical, because cows and chickens are not endangered in any way like whales, yet you could feel the smugness reeking from Randy's statement, like, "oh yeah... we went there."

    The only thing that saved this was Cartman and Kenny. Sad thing is, this is the type of episode the general public eats up, and "Fuck you Dolphin!" is gonna be the next catch phrase among bro-douches. These days, when South Park is good, its still really good... but when its bad, like this, its awful and cringeworthy. I wish *I* could paid millions to quickly turn my blog-like rantings into a cartoon!

    1/5

  15. #15
    Profound Sadness Kiyosuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,781


    Eh, pretty weak episode. I mean, we get a lot of these deconstruction of a current tv show type episodes a lot so I can't fault it for what it is too much, but this one just felt half assed. I can laugh at my own ethnicity just fine (or...some of it anyways, being 1/2) but these jokes are like lazy. All we needed was one of the boats to turn into a gundam and every member of each boat to commit suicide in the end for no reason. It's more the show it's making fun of itself though. Having watched whale wars a few times myself...I can see how they're making fun of it by making this episode overly preachy on purpose, but if that was point it kind of got a bit muddled up since it's such an on the surface parody. So we're making fun of the japanese with kamikaze planes and the like, but we're making fun of dumbass activists on TV too? Alright...so what's the point? It just has no intention, aside from I guess "everyone sucks lol so does this show".

    Plus I dunno...even if it's extreme and the fact its on tv diminishes it a bit, at least those guys on that boat are actually doing something about what they believe other than just complaining about it. There's a lot of stuff they could have covered when it comes to this subject, the whole debacle with the whaling situation in real life is pretty ripe for satirization, instead this one's just one of those easy target episodes this show does once in a while where it just comes across as mean spirited and bitchy for no reason at all. They can do better than that, it's definitely half assed.
    Last edited by Kiyosuki; 10-29-2009 at 01:19 PM.

  16. #16
    in the back of a pick-up Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    26,882
    Blog Entries
    5


    Quote Originally Posted by NoOneFamous View Post
    For the entire first half of the episode, I was seriously confused - I wasn't sure if they were serious or actually making a parody of their own preachy style and over-the-top plots. Come on, "save the whales" ? It doesn't get much more generically preachy than that. I also seriously doubt its an issue Matt & Trey care about, and they're just bitching about something just because they can.
    Uh, I'm pretty sure that wasn't their point, but whatever...

  17. #17
    Golden Boy Green Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    rio
    Posts
    5,802


    that was terrible. I think I only laughed twice at most. cartman singing poker face was kind of funny but it went on for way too long. the ending was stupid and didn't make any sence at all. 1/5

  18. #18
    Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,225


    Quote Originally Posted by homer5000 View Post
    Uh, I'm pretty sure that wasn't their point, but whatever...
    Yeah, and MY POINT was that the writing in this episode was so shitty and half-assed, that it could almost be mistaken as them parodying themselves.

    I'm also not sure what else the point of the episode would be, whether they meant it or were being sarcastic, other than "the crew on Whale Wars are idiots."

  19. #19
    Mr. Jack Stripper MunkeyBoxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    154


    Wow, I actually thought it was better than "W.T.F.".

    The Dolphin - Whale Attacks had me ROTFL. Stan's picture of him and the Dead Dolphin was classic (Randy-Stan Moments are always funny, imo). Cartman singing Poker Face was probably the biggest laugh of the night for me. The Badasses gag made me laugh and so did the whole part when Cartman and Kenny joined the Whale Wars Crew.

    I'm not surprised by the ratings its getting though. Its randomness definitely triggered it.

    Ah, well.....

    4/5


    I am your big brother

  20. #20
    space-time condominium chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    16,576


    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    it's a bad sign when i keep checking the time on my dvr to see how many more minutes i have to sit through.
    i'm trying to pinpoint the exact episode the show started to become a boring, predictable, going-through-the-motions vehicle

    two days before the day after tomorrow perhaps?

    i'm not sure why i even still watch it, because i just find my mind drifting halfway through each new installment

  21. #21
    Profound Sadness Kiyosuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,781


    Maybe 1/5 was a bit harsh, Cartman did (as usual) give it some saving graces, but it's still generally weak.

  22. #22
    Stars and Stripes Forever D4C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mililani, HI
    Posts
    4,186
    Blog Entries
    5


    I dunno man. Im kind of iffy on my 2. This shit was terrible.

  23. #23
    Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Posts
    4,270


    I thought it was kind of funny . Very unmemorable but still funny. There have been MUCH worse episodes.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

    Seinfeld > Simpsons

    Black music owns

  24. #24
    JizzingOnBono HappyPalooza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    right behind you aaaaaaahhhh
    Posts
    1,720


    Quote Originally Posted by caribou View Post
    i'm trying to pinpoint the exact episode the show started to become a boring, predictable, going-through-the-motions vehicle

    two days before the day after tomorrow perhaps?

    i'm not sure why i even still watch it, because i just find my mind drifting halfway through each new installment
    I'm not sure of the going-through-the-motions one, but in terms of just general quality, I'm gonna say it was all downhill mid-season 10 starting with Mystery of the Urinal Deuce.

    edit: 1000th post : )
    Last edited by HappyPalooza; 10-30-2009 at 10:35 AM.

  25. #25
    Pin Pal Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The soccer field
    Posts
    447


    god what a horrible episode.

    cartman is quickly becoming my least fav. character. he's losing all coolness points. liking a lady gaga song? getting beat up by wendy ? why do they keep making cartman lamer and lamer.

    south park is a train wreck now. pull the plug already or start going after relevant stuff.

    i was hoping to see a balloon boy show/spoof. i know it's irrelevant now, but whale wars? what the hell is that?

  26. #26
    Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Virgil, Texas
    Posts
    6,979
    Blog Entries
    8


    An overall decent episode, Stan's character was a little annoying in this one but that's about it

    3/5

  27. #27
    Profound Sadness Kiyosuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,781


    Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    god what a horrible episode.

    cartman is quickly becoming my least fav. character. he's losing all coolness points. liking a lady gaga song? getting beat up by wendy ? why do they keep making cartman lamer and lamer.

    south park is a train wreck now. pull the plug already or start going after relevant stuff.

    i was hoping to see a balloon boy show/spoof. i know it's irrelevant now, but whale wars? what the hell is that?
    I don't know, I think Cartman's remained one of the show's stronger aspects. He and butters are probably the best characters at the moment. Even if he's kind of softened up from grinding parents into meat, and becoming a little more self-referential even he's still one of the show's strongest sources of irreverency and humor.

    I didn't mind him getting beaten up by Wendy so much though, it was fitting. Like a callback to the fact he's supposed to be all about scheming, deviousness, and big talk...but behind all that he's kind of a wuss. I think Cartman has gotten a little too intimidating a few times in the series, where he just seems unstoppable.

  28. #28
    Stonecutter Cash Kerouac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    2,243


    Pretty middling episode. For some reason Cartman singing Poker Face was really funny to me.
    "Did you exchange, a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?"

  29. #29
    AddminisGator Gatorgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Swamptopia
    Posts
    12,753


    I've not seen either of the shows parodied but I still got a good sense of what was being done. It was good to see the over fishing by Japanese being shed a spotlight on by SP ...4/5


  30. #30
    Stars and Stripes Forever D4C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mililani, HI
    Posts
    4,186
    Blog Entries
    5


    Gatorgod, normally your opinion is most righteous, but fuck that shit man.

    Nobody actually watches these shows (clearly) Few people give a shit above the japanese overwhaling which has been going on for YEARS, and there was one thing sorely lacking in this episode.

    Was it funny? No. I don't know what "Poker Face" is. I play video games but that scene meant nothing to me. I don't give a shit about stupid ass whaaaales. (I do but my apathy is crippling) and this whole "boys go on adventures with total absence of their parents" thing is getting silly. I like it when the boys are treated like the children they are. Not Matt and Trey self-inserts.

    BUT WAS IT FUNNY? No. It wasn't. Reginald, I disagree!



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •