10 28.57%
  • 5/5

24 68.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

the original Sex Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Sanchez View Post
    I remember Trey parker mentioning in an old interview that the budget was around 22 million.
    really? Wow. The animation looks (and is) soo cheap and you don't have to pay writers, producers, not many voice actors. Where did that money go?

Btw just for the record, I knew that the budget was more than a million (duh) but 22 is a lot of money

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Executive View Post
    really? Wow. The animation looks (and is) soo cheap and you don't have to pay writers, producers, not many voice actors. Where did that money go?
    you must have missed the EXPLOSIVE SPECIAL EFFECTS
    Simpson Crazy
    Now with iGoogle gadgets! Try Quote of the Day and Word of the Day

my other sites: Toon images · Song Lyrics · Website tutorials

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Executive View Post
    while the South Park movie was written by two guys and didn't have rewrites.
    I remember hearing something earlier back, when I was more into South Park, that they actually had quite a few rewrites for the movie. It wasn't even supposed to be a musical first, or something. And they were writing it up until weeks within the movie's release and the execs were freaking out about it and they didn't see the problem. Maybe it was on some of the S3 commentaries, for the episodes about the time the movie was coming out, I guess.

Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actually think it would've been better overall as a musical, so that was a good move to make.

the original Sex Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by iceiwynd View Post
    I remember hearing something earlier back, when I was more into South Park, that they actually had quite a few rewrites for the movie. It wasn't even supposed to be a musical first, or something. And they were writing it up until weeks within the movie's release and the execs were freaking out about it and they didn't see the problem. Maybe it was on some of the S3 commentaries, for the episodes about the time the movie was coming out, I guess.
    I didn't know that. Interesting, though. The songs are such a big part of the movie. I know that Matt and Trey are both passionate musicians, so I think at some point in the writing process, they just asked themselves "Why not make it a musical?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iceiwynd View Post
    I remember hearing something earlier back, when I was more into South Park, that they actually had quite a few rewrites for the movie.
    Oh, you bet they did.

That's from January 1999, six months prior to release, eighth draft. As you can see, it was a musical (in fact, they decided they wanted it to be right before writing the first draft I believe) back then, and the plot is a lot more (unnecessarily) complex with nonsense such as Snacky Smores playing a huge role (it's in the current movie parodying product placement I believe), and there's a gigantic stretch covering Terrance and Phillip's trial while the kids are in "rehab". In the current film, this part is only three or so minutes long.

Half the songs stayed in the movie with slightly revised lyrics, while some were cut (Stan & Wendy's duet) and some were changed entirely ("Something Must be Done" into "Blame Canada", "Going to the Movies Today" into "Mountain Town").

Even though the draft has it's faults, I can't help but think that Cartman's megaphone line is much more hilariously random: "HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO GARGLE RAT JIZZ?!!"
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That was a pretty interesting draft, I gotta admit I like Mountain Town WAY more than that movie song

Junior Camper

Stupendous.

When my form band went on tour, before every show we would eat frozen pizza and watch this movie.

It's really good.

Brilliant film.

I don't like the first 3 seasons of SP. Hated the show and reluctantly saw this film with a friend. I instantly fell in love. Still can't stomach early SP, but Season 4 onward is some of the best shit ever, and I am happy that it took this film to finally win me over on the show. I don't follow it religiously, and they made some terrible episodes each season, but I really admire how it isn't afraid to take risks.
    Heckling a Puppet show.

5 samples from the blu ray commentary.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/crap/dvds/BLUFeature/

Cool, I saw this movie like four years ago on YouTube in like eight parts and wanted to get it, but at thirteen felt like it'd be weird asking your mother to buy this movie for you, so I figured that like, I didn't need it or anything, so I'd hold out until a possible ten year anniversary edition or something and forgot all about it until this came up. So that's real cool for me.

This is actually one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. South Park humor makes me laugh like no other.

Bluray version with commentary? Fucking awesome. Mine.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper Squirrel View Post
    yes, yes you should
    I finally watched it. While it still has South Park-ish quirks that I don't like (such as Stan puking whenever he sees Wendy) and I've never been a huge fan of musicals, it actually had quite a lot of depth once I paid strong attention to it. The satire is really really well done and the show is not afraid of shocking and offending people to make its point across the viewers. While the main focus was about bad parenting and dangerous knee-jerk passionate reactions, they satirized a wide variety of topics.

In context and taking into account the satire, the movie is very funny.

in depth review of the blu-ray release
    http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/South-...y-Review/4734/

stoked

Blog Entries

Anyone get the blu-ray? Because it seems like everyone kinda forgot about it.

Well, you should. And from listening to the commentary, it isn't surprising that we still got zip from it. Despite what featurettes may be out there, it's pretty clear from Matt and Trey that they wanted nothing to do with it from the second it was finished besides be proud of it and let it be. No wonder there's barely any extras, because there is nothing, and it's from right before they started a mandate on creating media packages during production for DVD releases. Trey hasn't seen it since its premiere, and barely even remembers making it. (Matt remembers a little more than Trey) But the very little they do remember is rather interesting, i.e. all the big things that you might have already suspected.

Those expecting an in-depth scene analysis and talk about the story's creation will be rather disappointed. They rarely touch on those things (they even mock commentarisms near the end), but like I said, when they do, it's kind of interesting. It's more of these stories surrounding the production and release as well as MPAA and marketing squabbles. The EP they eventually bring in gives a handy share of info (my favorite running joke in the thing is how each special guest questions them on what they already covered), but arguably the best part is when they bring Vernon Chatman and another friend on board for the last twenty-five minutes, that's when it turns into amusing and informative to just outright hilarious. Especially when they started harping on the story structures of some recent superhero movies.

The commentary is enjoyable and quite funny, just not very in-depth. But what did you expect? I definitely recommend it, though. The quality is absolutely spectacular, and the colors really pop-out on the picture. It's more or less nice to finally see a new release of the movie overall...

I'm totally getting it eventually.

One of my best friends showed me this movie for the first time. We watched it a lot together. He died recently. Its been really tough and the ironic thing is i cant watch this movie without thinking of him and crying.

RIP Ryan. You will be missed friend

the original Sex Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by HappyPalooza View Post
    I'm totally getting it eventually.
    same here.

the original Sex Pistol

BUMP just for fun

Actually, I did watch the movie again just recently. I still love every minute of it. Funny thing, I just finished reading an interview with Matt and Trey in the NY Times and they said that the movie was THE turning point in South Park history, because people started to get bored with the show, but after the movie was released, the show got a new "restart".

Oh yeah I got the blu-ray and it was great. Though the commentary made me a little sad because it seemed the creators had forgotten that the crude animation was part of the show's charm in the first place.

Mostly Trey just kept bashing it and acting as if the current animation is like the best in the world, when it's hardly anything solid. It was started as intentionally crude, then when they decided to put a lot more effort into it, it bumped up to mediocre rather than actually "good." I mean hell, with enough effort and patience any nerdy teen animator could do a scene that looks near identical to current South Park in basic Flash.

But it had some good stuff in it, highlights included reminiscing the Oscars and their embarrassment of the dresses and when Bill Hader and Vernon Chatman (Towelie) came in to take things back to a more funny and laid-back atmosphere. The latter was especially hilarious.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by troymclure17 View Post
    One of my best friends showed me this movie for the first time. We watched it a lot together. He died recently. Its been really tough and the ironic thing is i cant watch this movie without thinking of him and crying.

RIP Ryan. You will be missed friend
    jesus, debbie downer.

(though seriously, sorry, bro )

Thread Information