Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Family Guy Spin-Off: "The Cleveland Show"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

This is all an elaborate, cruel joke guys.

For serious though we'll have another talking baby (Oh wait no he's five that's totally different) and judging by his expression he'll have a similar attitude to Stewie, more conservative bashing that wasn't funny when they did three episodes devoted to it on Family Guy and an entire show that is American Dad, and bears that look like Larson rejects.

Quote Originally Posted by homer5000
    Wrong. Try again.
    Overdone political satire of right-wing nut jbos that is rarely very original to begin with, tired stereotypes, shock gags, formulaic family dynamic, etc.. If there is anything that cartoons need less of, it's any of those things. None of the episodes I watched were very funny, the only laughs coming from the occasional fast-paced gag.

pretty rad

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    This is taking away American Dad? Shit, that's the only untanted show Seth made.
    he said "taking away from," i.e. the writers and producers will not be able to focus their energy on american dad as much.

american dad isn't getting cancelled
    newest fad! twitter | the photodump | facebook
    [00:29] AlonsoWDC: hank hill would cum out of his mouth in disgust if he were here right now

Blog Entries

^No really, it IS taking away American Dad. Cleveland is replacing it on Sunday nights starting January. Oh, and...

Overdone political satire of right-wing nut jbos that is rarely very original to begin with, tired stereotypes, shock gags, formulaic family dynamic, etc.. If there is anything that cartoons need less of, it's any of those things. None of the episodes I watched were very funny, the only laughs coming from the occasional fast-paced gag.
    Somebody hasn't watched the show in a while...
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

pretty rad

I stand corrected.

at least all three shows won't be on at once, tho.

Was Cleveland even that popular to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by homer5000 View Post
    Somebody hasn't watched the show in a while...
    I base that off of whatever random episode Adult Swim happens to play each night. Tell me, has the show somehow ridded itself of all these horrible elements over the course of its short history?

Blog Entries

My American Dad formula:

First seven episodes of Season One: AWFUL.
    Rest of season one: Mediocre.
    Season two & three: AWESOME.

Go by those guidelines...

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

I have to say, there are times where AD has shown promise, usually when they are NOT doing political satire (e.g.- the GW Bush episode was horrible). The first season was pretty awful, but there are a few episodes out there that are actually pretty decent. FG is just random crap. It's hard for me to see why anyone would prefer it more, other than saying "FG is funnier" and ending the conversation there, without any further elaboration.

It would be nice if there were something behind this so-called show that made it stand out, besides bears for neighbors and the family being black. If the show were slightly more serious, I could see it, but bears for neighbors? That's just random pointless crap.

Why should there be any further elaboration on 'FG is funnier'? That's all that is necessary. Surely, neither show has any other merits outside of comedy, and therefore if 'FG is funnier', then that's all that matter, random crap or not. Never in the history of comedy as cohesiveness or logical progression been a prerequisite for humor, so I don't care how random 'Family Guy' is.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I have to say, as someone that was completely underwhelmed (to put it nicely) by the first couple episodes of American Dad, that the show sort of found it's footing eventually. Some of the plots actually got somewhat decent and creative when it stopped trying to be a dull right-wing bash. Even so, I think it got really overrated for awhile, even if it wasn't completely terrible. Eps I thought were decent include the masturbation one (surprisingly), the one where they go to the Middle East, and a few bits and pieces I catch occasionally that aren't bad.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenDonut View Post
    Why should there be any further elaboration on 'FG is funnier'? That's all that is necessary. Surely, neither show has any other merits outside of comedy, and therefore if 'FG is funnier', then that's all that matter, random crap or not. Never in the history of comedy as cohesiveness or logical progression been a prerequisite for humor, so I don't care how random 'Family Guy' is.
    When arguing the merits of one show to another, whatever makes you laugh is not a criteria for a good show unless you can explain why it is any good. Filming my flaccid penis for a half hour might be more entertaining to me, but when arguing, there's not much I can say other than "I like it." That says absolutely nothing. It's okay to like something without knowing why you like it, but when arguing a show's merit, you need something remotely substantive to back it up. I can simply say American Dad is funnier, and the conversation ends.

I think what makes it worse is the plethora of FG fans out there who don't understand how someone couldn't like FG. It's really irksome, almost a cult-like mentality. I don't mind FG as a show, because I know that it's not a good show and I could just ignore it, but it's hard to ignore something that other people constantly try and bash into you as being a good show. Very few of these people have given me much reason to give a shit about the show. I can watch American Dad and, while I might really dislike some episodes, at least it can hold my attention for most of the half hour, unlike a show that relies on cheap non-sequiters of 70s pop culture with no actual joke attached to it and passes it off as comedy.

Back to Cleveland: God help us all.

Quote Originally Posted by homer5000 View Post
    ^No really, it IS taking away American Dad. Cleveland is replacing it on Sunday nights starting January. Oh, and...
    Nooooo but I like American Dad...nowadays...
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

So Cleveland Jr exists again... but is now incredibly fat and wears glasses? And a family... of bears. Bears!? What the hell?
    And more incredibly dull looking characters. *sigh*

Wait what? *goes back a page*

Uh...jesus. That's Cleveland Jr.?? What the fuck happened to him? And why are they living next to anthropomorphic bears? Yeah, that's about as badly formulaic as you can get.

That Veronica Vaughn..... Ryan_'s Avatar

as much as clevaland jr was a crap character, they really should have kept him the same for continuity's sake

im gunna miss cleveland from family guy

I'll bring my hilarious apron Jye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This show seems ridiculous, and I'm a FG fan.

Blog Entries

Christ...

This is going to make people not like Seth M. even more now right?

Sarcasm: the nerds' "sex" TheSuperiorGerbil's Avatar

"When the world's supply of pop culture runs short, a man decides to steal from himself...and offend black peple along the way"

Blog Entries

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...cAbvUSr0oesF9T
    ^Scroll to "The Cleveland Show" to hear the theme song.

Oh dear god this is gonna be awful...

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

I'm still not sure if it's a joke or not. If it's not a joke, then yeah...it looks awful. But who really cares? We're not forced to watch it. If it bombs, then that's Seth's problem and one he rightfully deserves. If it does well because of the stupidity of the average viewer, then that's a shame for our society but still nothing unprecedented. Except for those who grieve the loss of American Dad to this piece of likely crap, I can't see why anyone else would care whether or not it's going to be awful.

Even most current FG fans aren't going to like this. You can insult their intelligence all you want, but they won't like what they're seeing.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I don't know if this show will succeed by being one of the better animated sitcoms out there, but I doubt it. But I think i'll wait for the first episode and judge the show afterwards. I still wonder if a "The Mayor West Show" would work better, since he is a rather amusing FG character.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 05-16-2008 at 12:35 PM.

pretty rad

anything involving adam west as mayor adam west would be great as a live action show, much like how phil hartman wanted to do a live action troy mcclure show

The new animated comedies joining the schedule in the spring include:

THE CLEVELAND SHOW (working title) (Sundays, 9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT): Many years ago, CLEVELAND BROWN (voiced by Mike Henry) was a high school student madly in love with a beautiful girl named DONNA. Much to his dismay, his love went unrequited, and Donna wound up marrying another man. Cleveland once told Donna he would always love her, and if this man ever done her wrong, he'd be there when she called. Well, this man done her wrong. Donna's husband skipped town with another woman, leaving Donna with a daughter and a baby. Now she's come to Cleveland and offered him another chance at love. Unattached after the Loretta-Quagmire debacle and true to his word, Cleveland joyously accepts and he and CLEVELAND JR. move to Stoolbend, VA, to join their new family. Once in Stoolbend, Cleveland has a few surprises in store for him, including a flirtatious new stepdaughter, a 5-year-old stepson who loves the ladies, as well as a collection of neighbors that includes a loudmouth redneck couple, a British family seemingly stuck in the Victorian era and a family of bears living at the end of the block. FAMILY GUY was only the beginning. Get ready for THE CLEVELAND SHOW (working title)!

PRODUCTION COMPANY: 20th Century Fox Television

EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: Seth MacFarlane, Rich Appel, Mike Henry

VOICE CAST: Mike Henry as Cleveland Brown

this describes more

blowin' money fast Clark Westfall's Avatar

I wonder how Seth will make his voice "blacker"

Rich Appel, you've fallen so far...

Blog Entries

So that fatass IS Junior.

Fuck.

God dman it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ARMslingerJoshua View Post
    So that fatass IS Junior.

Fuck.

God dman it...
    why so angry?

Quote Originally Posted by Xt'Tapalatakettle View Post
    When arguing the merits of one show to another, whatever makes you laugh is not a criteria for a good show unless you can explain why it is any good. Filming my flaccid penis for a half hour might be more entertaining to me, but when arguing, there's not much I can say other than "I like it." That says absolutely nothing. It's okay to like something without knowing why you like it, but when arguing a show's merit, you need something remotely substantive to back it up. I can simply say American Dad is funnier, and the conversation ends.

I think what makes it worse is the plethora of FG fans out there who don't understand how someone couldn't like FG. It's really irksome, almost a cult-like mentality. I don't mind FG as a show, because I know that it's not a good show and I could just ignore it, but it's hard to ignore something that other people constantly try and bash into you as being a good show. Very few of these people have given me much reason to give a shit about the show. I can watch American Dad and, while I might really dislike some episodes, at least it can hold my attention for most of the half hour, unlike a show that relies on cheap non-sequiters of 70s pop culture with no actual joke attached to it and passes it off as comedy.

Back to Cleveland: God help us all.
    Okay, you're definitely right about there being more than subjective humor involved in determining quality. But I think I have all the ground covered on 'AD' with my description of it as being built on stereotypes, overdone and redundant political satire, and generic shock gags, not to mention that it is very formulaic. 'Family Guy' is formulaic as far as the basic dysfunctional family dynamic is concerned, but its random gag structure keeps it lively and fast-paced (and note the argument that it distracts the viewer from the main story is crap, because no one cares about any of FG's stories) and not as formulaic as far as storytelling. You definitely generalize FG as being built on '70s cultural references with no jokes attached. Even though I understand that the '70s/'80s stuff is overdone and irritating to some, rarely are they just references; there usually still are jokes attached. And a lot of the screw-the-audience gags, visual gags, and gags based in voice acting are really funny. 'American Dad' has a lot less going for it in any of those categories.

But still, I have always failed to understand why FG's storytelling issues is such a big deal to people. FG doesn't necessarily need to rely on story and getting laughs through just a ton of random gags loosely latched on to a story is not a wrong way to do comedy. And again, the stories are usually so (intentionally) cliched that I can't see anyone really caring about them anyway. 'American Dad' invests a lot more in its stories and doesn't usually take the time to do unrelated gags. Since the stories are usually bad, all of the 'story-based' jokes follow suit. 'Family Guy' is a lot more loose and varied and, again, all around a funnier show.

Thread Information