98 32.67%
  • I'm a gulch. (3/5)

71 23.67%
  • Funny but not "ha-ha" funny. (2/5)

54 18.00%
  • That's unpossible! (1/5)

38 12.67%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "E. Pluribus Wiggum" (KABF03)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

This is all I have in life son of a wiggum's Avatar
    The useless piece of land between New York and Los Angeles called America

I don't see what everybody's complaining about. The Simpsons is a comedy. It's supposed to be funny, and this episode was. Sure the plot was a little unrealistic, but it's fine for them to have one like that every so often. The important part was it made me laugh. That's the important thing for a comedy to do.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Is anyone else getting sick of the meta references? It seems that every single episode has at least one these days.

I mean, what's the point of "Jerkass Homer cigars"? All that made me think was "You bastards turned one of TVs greatest characters into a Peter Griffin wannabe, and now you're joking about it. Har-de-fucking-har!"
    Last edited by McClure; 01-06-2008 at 07:25 PM.

Blog Entries

I really liked this one a lot. The pacing felt a little snappier and the gags were considerably stronger. Some good satire in there too. As ridiculous as Ralph was as a possibility, it really makes a point about the power of media hype and primary/caucus momentum.

The best joke of the episode was the Think Tank one. It was a great fake out, because you knew in advance where they were going with it. The gags in this show has been so predictable, that I was already picturing Homer driving around a tank using his mind. It was a nice meta-joke that cashed in on some of the predictability of the joke-writing lately. Which is actually a little sad, if you think about it.

I didn't mind the open-ended finish. This was the kind of episode where it was obvious how it would end. There's no way Ralph would be elected President! He's eight years old! It's just too ridiculous, even for this show. Do we really need to devote the final two minutes of material to get to the inevitable conclusion of this episode? No.

4.5/5. I'm in a good mood, so I voted 5/5. I took off a half-point because Jon Stewart's appearance was really wasted in an awkward joke. Dan Rather's appearance was a bit better, but nothing to write home about.

Still, a nice showing tonight.

Get eurass back to Eurasia

i don't know what to think

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

I didn't love it.

The jokes themselves were pretty good. I can't recall any real big stinkers, but I can recall dozens of jokes that I really enjoyed.

But the plot, ugh. It had tons of potential, and I thought the 3rd act, once they actually got to the Ralph story, was the best of the three. There was so much more that they could have done with that, but instead wasted time in the 1st act with Homer, and various non-sequiters in the 2nd act. If they had trimmed out some of that fat and gotten to Ralph earlier, I think it would have been a lot better.

Ralph was used well in the one act that actually had him in it. Not only in the fact that he was thrown into the situation and being used as a prop, keeping his innocence in tact and not making him too dumb, was really well done. And the fact that in the end Ralph actually knew what was going on and was actually one step ahead of everyone was a really cute moment.

3/5.

Everyone pretty much pointed out all the pacing issues already, but in spite of some rough storytelling, this was probably the most I laughed all season, especially since I closely monitor the actual presidential race. The couch gag was creative yet boring and I just wanted it to end, but I don't reward or dock an episode for its couch gag. But the first act? Blech. It had everything that makes a bad Jean set-up, including bad puns, ANOTHER FRICKIN' MUSIC MONTAGE, and some jokes that just didn't know when to end (Homer calling up the guy on the phone). I'm glad they actually showed Homer at work for once, and Mayor McCheese's appearance made me smile, but I seriously wanted them to get to the main plot already.

When it finally got there, things picked up. Satire under Jean is very weak and blatant, and while the satire pretty obvious in this episode, it was humorous at least. Jon Stewart was wasted and wasn't very funny, but most of the other jokes hit home. Heck, they're somehow still able to make Clinton funny (that and "Dennis Kucinich?" gave me the biggest laughs in the episode). The third act was also quality, having finally gotten to the Ralph part. We've seen the Republican HQ many times before, so the appearance of the Democratic meeting was nice, with both parties being protrayed hilariously. I'm glad the Bush stuff was kept to a minimum, although it could have been more subtle. The ending was a bit abrupt, but I actually thought it worked with the whole "What if?" feeling.

Again, some serious pacing issues with the episode being structured nowhere near as well as "Eternal Moonshine", but the episode had me laughing, and that's more than I can say for most episodes these past few seasons. Solid B
    Season 21:
    Homer the Whopper: C, Bart Gets a Z: C+, The Great Wife Hope: B-, Treehouse of Horror XX: B, The Devil Wears Nada: C-, Pranks & Greens: C, Rednecks & Broomsticks: D+, O Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B, Thursdays With Abie: D, Once Upon a Time in Springfield: C+, Million Dollar Maybe: C-

Its started out great! Classic good funny stuff. 4/5
    Mr Burns clapping for dancing man was a gas

Second act was more of the same, Guest stars were nice, glad to have 'em stop by for a visit, weren't that funny, usually never are, but was nice seeing them none the less. Krusty stealing John S. jokes was funnier than John S fuming about it,.. way to go Krusty! Wooot!

Third act bogged down a little, I didn't mind that it felt like it never really end, cause after all, the election process has just gotten started, And Ralph getting a sudden burst of down home wisdom didn't feel right,

so maybe we can see more from Ralphs campaign in further eps? ..Maybe its up to us Simpson fans & web weird-o's to take the baton and run with it now. Tshirts and websites with Ralph in 08 should pop up every where.
    It'd be great if this ep inspired a Ralph movement, but I didn't feel it. ..But still, I'd like to see this happen.
    Where's the wild fad starting college crowds when you need them?

Why should they be happy?! The Law-Talkin' Guy's Avatar

I'm glad to see that a bit more than most of you enjoyed it.

I loved it.

'The Infamous Collector'. Simpsons_Fanboy's Avatar
    "America- where any man can make quick money with no questions asked."

Now we have to endure 3 freakin' weeks until we can see the upcoming episode.

Worst. Signature. Ever.

I really enjoyed it ^ ^

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xihix
    I forsee... A crappy episode. I'll give it an early D-, for a 2/5.
    what a rebel

i honestly can't see how even the most devoted fan can rate this any higher than a 2 or 3. never laughed once and the ending sucked. 1/5

Blog Entries

Cable was fucked up, but from what I saw it was pretty awful. But, I won't vote until I watch it again tomorrow. Though, the ending made my mouth water for a two-parter, but alas nothing. Maybe a follow-up ending next November...

(remembers writers strike)

Goddamnit...
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

"Maybe I wanna use THEM!"

I've heard some people joke elsewhere once that maybe Ralph has supersanity.

Ok....I saw it. Here's the thing, the moment Jon Stewart says "I'll always remember you like how you used to be!" to Krusty I knew what they were trying to do with this. It's a total 4th Wall Episode. It's not about characters, or interaction, it's really not even about the show. It's using the show and the characters as a mask to basically vent a bunch of political commentary straightforwardly. Pacing, what happens after the ending, story...none of that matters in this. It's all about the topical political satire. I mean...he convinces Lisa to get in on his side just like that, that alone should be proof of what I'm getting at.

I'm uh...half and half about that because well, I wanted an episode about Ralph...and really it wasn't. He had an awesome moment there in the end with that last scene and the ad, so I'm a bit relieved that he wasn't taken down and stomped on as a character (in fact they maintained his "is he more than you think" thing which is great), thing is though...is that's mostly because he's barely in it. I'm relieved but I'm really really dissapointed. I mean even with a plot as weird as this there was still some very fun stuff that could have happened. His dad barely appears, so does Quimby and I was totally expecting Joe to do something more in this. Seeing Ralph deal with a totally insane situation in that last moment was fun, and it's too bad we couldn't see more of that. You know since it was really all about how idiotic both parties were to embrace such a crazy idea...just for the sake of beating eachother there was a potential story in this.

Some of the jokes were surprisingly funny though, it was typical drawn out Homer antics in the beginning (though it was nice to see him at the Plant again. That's like a rare treat now ironically.) but some of the political jokes
    were actually very amusing. All and all if one looks at it at from the perspective that it's not an episode that's taking itself even remotely seriously, and is just here to poke fun at the current situation in America it's not bad. As a story and as something to see Ralph shine it's a total fucking tease though.

It's amusing as a half an hour poke at current events, and I may refer to it for Ralph's little moment, but otherwise I doubt I'll remember it.

3/5 (2.5) technically). Let it be known I did find this funny, and that combined with Ralph's literal moment does save it though there really was no story, and it was a huge tease. I also admit though I'm being very very, very nice to it. I'm already thinking of changing my vote to a 2 if possible because while I didn't hate it, as a narrative which is what this show is known for well...there was none. After the CBG ep and this I really don't think I'm going to trust what the promos say anymore.

I really hope this won't be the last episode Ralph will (supposedly) be the focus of before this ends one day.
    Last edited by Kiyosuki; 01-06-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

Very weird episode, but had a certain charm to it that I liked. Sometimes I wish that they wouldn't advertise at all for episodes so that we go in with a clean slate, then we wouldn't have been waiting for Ralph the whole episode. I'll have to watch it again to pick everything up but a few things I liked were the use of rare characters (Birch Barlow), the mob mentality from classic episodes, where they meet up somewhere and disscuss what they are gonna do first, and Ralph's on again off again inteligents (he was never too smart or too dumb tonight). My few complaints wasted Jon Stewart, and the ending was funny but left me wanting closier, it almost felt like their will be a sequel closer to the elections. Oh, and I wanted to see Pres. Swartzenager. But really overall I enjoyed, season 19 is really impressing me.

hmmmmmm.........3- no 4/5

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

These KABF episodes are all at least interesting, but they're confusing. The scene construction is just weird as hell and pacing is erratic. It's almost difficult to follow because of that. I guess my opinion is that there are plenty of good ideas for jokes, pieces of dialogue, stories, etc, but execution is sloppy all around, so we're left with a frustrating episode. 3/5
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

who was this written by?

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

Before I review it, can someone tell me how it ended? My Tivo didn't tape the last minute or so.

tonights episode wasnt that great but it was ok so...... 2/5

Also here's another thing, anyone else notice how many commercials there were in the breaks? Way more than even usual...this episode is literally just 20 minutes long, at this rate the episodes will be 10 minute long scenes with tons of commercials.
    Last edited by Kiyosuki; 01-06-2008 at 09:01 PM.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyosuki
    Also here's another thing, anyone else notice how many commercials there were in the breaks? Way more than even usual...this episode is literally just 20 minutes long, at this rate the episodes will be 10 minute long scenes with tons of commercials.
    Which is ironic because they used an extended couch "gag" tonight with the full credits.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

Quote Originally Posted by HarleenQuinn
    Before I review it, can someone tell me how it ended? My Tivo didn't tape the last minute or so.
    It ended with Ralph's campaign ad

Quote Originally Posted by El Fuego
    It ended with Ralph's campaign ad
    That's it?

Ok....I saw it. Here's the thing, the moment Jon Stewart says "I'll always remember you like how you used to be!" to Krusty I knew what they were trying to do with this. It's a total 4th Wall Episode. It's not about characters, or interaction, it's really not even about the show. It's using the show and the characters as a mask to basically vent a bunch of political commentary straightforwardly. Pacing, what happens after the ending, story...none of that matters in this. It's all about the topical political satire. I mean...he convinces Lisa to get in on his side just like that, that alone should be proof of what I'm getting at.

I'm uh...half and half about that because well, I wanted an episode about Ralph...and really it wasn't. He had an awesome moment there in the end with that last scene and the ad, so I'm a bit relieved that he wasn't taken down and stomped on as a character (in fact they maintained his "is he more than you think" thing which is great), thing is though...is that's mostly because he's barely in it. I'm relieved but I'm really really dissapointed. I mean even with a plot as weird as this there was still some very fun stuff that could have happened. His dad barely appears, so does Quimby and I was totally expecting Joe to do something more in this. Seeing Ralph deal with a totally insane situation in that last moment was fun, and it's too bad we couldn't see more of that. You know since it was really all about how idiotic both parties were to embrace such a crazy idea...just for the sake of beating eachother there was a potential story in this.

Some of the jokes were surprisingly funny though, it was typical drawn out Homer antics in the beginning (though it was nice to see him at the Plant again. That's like a rare treat now ironically.) but some of the political jokes
    were actually very amusing. All and all if one looks at it at from the perspective that it's not an episode that's taking itself even remotely seriously, and is just here to poke fun at the current situation in America it's not bad. As a story and as something to see Ralph shine it's a total fucking tease though.

It's amusing as a half an hour poke at current events, and I may refer to it for Ralph's little moment, but otherwise I doubt I'll remember it.

3/5 (2.5) technically). Let it be known I did find this funny, and that combined with Ralph's literal moment does save it though there really was no story, and it was a huge tease. I also admit though I'm being very very, very nice to it.
    what he said. i was indifferent with a decision. i guess i thought it was gonna be a ha-ha dick and fart type of funny ralph episode. homers characterization bothered me, he's become a tard. above all it was a good episode for the political satire. i should of know when jon said what he said. 3/5

Quote Originally Posted by El Fuego
    who was this written by?
    Michael Price, who's written quite a few lately.

Quote Originally Posted by HarleenQuinn
    The republicans and democrats both embrace him and want to show their support just so they can look good, and both parties plus the media all crowd around the Wiggum house. Ralph and Clancy come outside and the reporters ask Ralph a bunch of questions and he tries to answer, but then Wiggum and Lou want to go check something out because they have a little debate (which was actually kinda funny too) and when Ralph's left alone everyone closes in and he tries to shut them out. A representative from both parties crawls through a window and keeps trying to get him on one party, then Lisa comes in and steps between them telling them to leave him alone. (they reference I Love Lisa!)

When they leave, Lisa tells Ralph that she can't believe the parties are using him like this, and Ralph says "Maybe I wanna use THEM!" and she's like whaaaa. He then gives this actually pretty nice speech about how he wants to use them both to make the country great again, so they'll start using words to solve problems and etc etc, the world is great. Lisa gets all inspired and says maybe he won't be a bad president, and then a political ad is run for him and it just ends there. The ad is actually pretty amusing...it'll probably be up on youtube soon, it's obviously a big (albiet toothless) bite at the opposing parties and how they may be clouding the real issues I guess.

I'm just still bummed that Ralph basically appears in this for literally 3 minutes of the episode.

....mmm...... really, well i guess someone's gotta pay for all the loss the strike is causing.
    but the more i think about this episode, it had a great message to it.

You know speaking of the strike, do you think it had something to do with how well..."weird" this episode felt? Like maybe the draft was half finished or something and the rest was just kind of filled in. It was basically a lot of funny but disjointed political jokes loosely tied together by a really really loose story, riding off the popularity of a character that appears in the last 3 minutes.

Hmmm...this episode is rather difficult to rate.

It certainly did have a surprisingly fair amount of good jokes and even some intelligent ones. Homer, despite once again mirroring the idiocy and improvidence he exhibited in the movie, delivered a few actually funny lines, which is saying a lot because I'm not sure if I've genuinely found any of Homer's lines funny in the preceding episodes of season 19. I also enjoyed most of Krusty's appearance, and the Ralph/Lisa scene at the end.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the execution of political satire in this one. Some of it was original and funny, while a lot of it was predictable and cringe-worthy, especially the sigh-inducing satires of well-known political figures. I also wish that the episode was more character-driven and less of one, big satire veiled with the interaction of Simpsons characters.

Overall, I'd have to say that it was at least one of the more enjoyable season 19 episodes and did have quite a few memorable lines and moments. I think I'll give it a 3.5/5 by modern era standards.

Blog Entries

That was terrible. It felt like some writer had written a brief outline and the others drew a half-assed line in crayon from plot point A to plot point B. Homer explaining his idea in the bar came off really hackneyed instead of developing naturally. The pacing was slow as hell; when you're doing a satiric show like this, you want the zingers to come fast and furious. The tepid political jokes seemed to come from a Jay Leno monologue from five years ago, Rather and Stewart were wasted, the Ralph bits just weren't funny, and the implicit criticism of Bush was eye-rolling.

Thread Information