Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Simpsons : From Start to Finish

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

8 glasses of gravy a day Jeffster's Avatar

Bart the Daredevil

I remember my brother saying the ambulance-into-the-tree bit at the end was the first time he really lost it laughing at something on The Simpsons. It might have been for me too, I don't quite remember.

Regardless, this is another classic episode that really stands the test of time, with its quick pace, clever satire, and dead-on characterization. Everything from the "unfinished" symphony recital, Truckasaurus, Lance Mourdock making the jump over the tank, only to fall in, make it out, but then be pulled in by the lion to Otto's adult supervisory advice to the climactic ending.

I've lost count of how many times since then I've used the line "I'm gonna make it, i'm gonna make it, this is the greatest feeling of my…ahhhhhhhhh…" in all sorts of hilariously dangerous situations!

Rating: 10/10.
    "Mmmm..unexplained bacon..."

Join me for my quest:

The Simpsons: Start to Finish!

Latest review: "Three Men and a Comic Book”

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Bart the Daredevil

I remember my brother saying the ambulance-into-the-tree bit at the end was the first time he really lost it laughing at something on The Simpsons. It might have been for me too, I don't quite remember.

Regardless, this is another classic episode that really stands the test of time, with its quick pace, clever satire, and dead-on characterization. Everything from the "unfinished" symphony recital, Truckasaurus, Lance Mourdock making the jump over the tank, only to fall in, make it out, but then be pulled in by the lion to Otto's adult supervisory advice to the climactic ending.

I've lost count of how many times since then I've used the line "I'm gonna make it, i'm gonna make it, this is the greatest feeling of my…ahhhhhhhhh…" in all sorts of hilariously dangerous situations!

Rating: 10/10.
    I lost it during the "Im gonna make it...Im gonna make it...IM THE KING OF THE WORLD" *falls*

Don't you know I am serious!! Rembrandt Q. Einstein_1's Avatar

It's gonna take a loooong time for you to finish this.
    In order to effect the maximum taste out of food such as a boiled sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mom's Greatest Family Vacation Ever View Post
    It's gonna take a loooong time for you to finish this.
    Yes, that's very likely true.

You might be on Season 25 by 2164.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mom's Greatest Family Vacation Ever View Post
    You might be on Season 25 by 2164.
    Oh well, that's the year that the Daleks invade Earth, so at least I'll go out with a bang!

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: 

Itchy & Scratchy & Marge

"Gentlemen…the screwballs have spoken."

This is a funny episode with a somewhat unsatisfying conclusion. It's actually one that portrays Homer in a pretty positive light, something that would start to become rare in later seasons, and Marge is the one moved to go on a crusade, with no support whatsoever from Lisa, another thing that stands out compared to some other episodes.

Alex Rocco makes his first appearance as Roger Myers and does a splendid job, both in voice, and in characterization, and John Swartzwelder gives us an entertaining story that also highlights the various viewpoints of tv violence, and what constitutes "filth."

What is unsatisfying to me is the way Marge gives up so easily when confronted with a very different form of expression, and somehow is unable to reconcile favoring one over the other. A statue of David not having clothes on is not alleged to inspire any dangerous behavior, it's just generically referred to as "filth" by the "busybodies" of Springfield. So it's a case of an issue coming across very simplistic for the sake of the humor, which is fine in itself, but leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth compared to some much more satisfying endings.

Great job on "Psycho" Maggie, the Marge squirrel, Homer's conversations with the TV and his spice rack, as well as the first Smartline segment, with Dr. Marvin Monroe randomly appearing in different locales around Europe, and of course the Niiiice sharing Itchy & Scratchy (complete with new theme song) and the non-TV-watching kids getting some exercise scene, even Maggie offering lemonade to Homer with the Psycho music, all nice touches indeed.

Episode rating: 7/10

Bart Gets Hit By a Car

A very well done episode, featuring great performances, especially Phil Hartman as Lionel Hutz (and the Voice of Heaven.) It's another one with a bit of an odd ending, but it works I think because it's believable that Homer would be very upset about losing out on a chance for that much money. And it's clear how he really feels about Marge when he just has to look into her eyes to know the truth, so it's a sweet ending to a mostly funny episode.

I had to laugh at the joke about the Yankees winning the pennant. Little did the writers know just how dominant the Yankees would be at the end of the decade. Obviously they made a deal with the devil.

The best part though was Bart and Mr. Burns' separate accounts of the car accident. I love how even Smithers has a huge scowl on his face after Burns' story. Funny how Smithers doesn't come off too well in either story!

"Defenseless child at 3 o'clock, Sir!"

Episode rating: 8/10

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    What is unsatisfying to me is the way Marge gives up so easily when confronted with a very different form of expression, and somehow is unable to reconcile favoring one over the other. A statue of David not having clothes on is not alleged to inspire any dangerous behavior, it's just generically referred to as "filth" by the "busybodies" of Springfield. So it's a case of an issue coming across very simplistic for the sake of the humor, which is fine in itself, but leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth compared to some much more satisfying endings.
    Read this thread http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.p...tchy-amp-Marge and see if you still agree with what you're saying. The ending of the episode is actually perfect. Best episode

Banned
    Blog Entries

Me and my brother are actually doing this at the moment: We watch six episodes a week apart from weeks where me and my brother are off school/college (when we watch three episodes a day), and we started in late October, and we're now in the middle of Season 6.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jeffster

Quote Originally Posted by Old painty-can Ned View Post
    Read this thread http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.p...tchy-amp-Marge and see if you still agree with what you're saying. The ending of the episode is actually perfect. Best episode
    Thanks for the link. And yes, I still hold the same opinion. I'm glad it's a perfect ending to you, to me it has always remained unsatisfying and I find myself a little disappointed in Marge for caving so easily. It's not unrealistic for sure, it shows the same kind of knee-jerk response by Marge, just flipped on its head. But that doesn't make it any more enjoyable for me as a viewer.

Quote Originally Posted by GallifreyanGallade View Post
    Me and my brother are actually doing this at the moment: We watch six episodes a week apart from weeks where me and my brother are off school/college (when we watch three episodes a day), and we started in late October, and we're now in the middle of Season 6.
    Are you going all the way through to Season 24?

I'm having a marathon of all my dvds. I have just got started on Season 5.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jeffster

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb or Dumber? View Post
    Are you going all the way through to Season 24?
    At the moment we're just watching the seasons that are on DVD (1 - 15), because the only way of us watching Seasons 16 - 24 is on the internet, and I don't really want to huddle around with my brother around a laptop screen to watch 180+ episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by GallifreyanGallade View Post
    At the moment we're just watching the seasons that are on DVD (1 - 15), because the only way of us watching Seasons 16 - 24 is on the internet, and I don't really want to huddle around with my brother around a laptop screen to watch 180+ episodes.
    True. But Season 16 could be on DVD before you're finished.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb or Dumber? View Post
    True. But Season 16 could be on DVD before you're finished.
    Not very likely though. We started in late October and we're two thirds into Season 6, so we should finish Season 15 by at least May. Assuming that Season 16 is released in December, we'll probably start watching all the episodes again sometime near the end of the year.

One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish

The Simpsons is at its very best when big laughs are combined with touching moments and great storytelling, and not too many episodes do all that better than this one.

A tight, fast-paced story with almost a "best of" feel to it, as Homer's list of things to do before death coincides with our position in the audience of getting a last glimpse at Grampa, Mr. Burns, Flanders, Moe's, Wiggum and the cops, a Bart prank phone call, and of course bits of what makes the family who they are.

Marge's genuine joy at Homer still being alive never fails to get to me, and the brilliance of instantly contrasting that moment with Homer's sitting on the couch eating pork rinds..light is top notch. A truly feel-good episode and another solid statement in Season 2 that The Simpsons is here to stay.

Episode Rating: 10/10

The Way We Was

Now that I have "The Joker" firmly stuck in my head, I can say that this is another fast-paced enjoyable episode with plenty of laughs and more touching moments for our favorite couple.

Coming on the heels of the last episode, this one may not pack quite the emotional punch of "One Fish…" but it does a great job of fleshing out the characters of Homer and Marge by showing us a bit of their history, weaving a romantic and comedic tale of love at first sight and the beginning of a rocky but worthwhile road for the high school sweethearts.

In addition, we are introduced to McBain, Artie Ziff, Marge's dad, Principal Dondelinger, and Hank Azaria's sarcastic limo driver!

Nice touch with Bart's exaggerated gagging at the end. In fact, there's lots of little nice touches along the way like Homer's starting to lose his hair, and his distaste for The Carpenters, only to have it going in his head when he first sees Marge. Great stuff.

Episode Rating: 8/10

Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment

“Can I get a price check on two grapes? Yeah, that’s right, Phil. Two lousy stinkin’ grapes.”

Here we have one of many examples of Lisa being an antagonist for Homer, but unlike several other times, she’s perfectly reasonable in her protest behavior. Regardless of anyone’s view on the importance of the Ten Commandments, Lisa takes Reverend Lovejoy’s idea of setting an example and lets Homer’s conscience do the rest.

There’s not a ton of laugh out loud moments, but some are provided by Bart’s fascination with Hell (and the Top Hat channel) and of course the beginning part with Homer the Thief and his buddies at Mt. Sinai. Overall it’s a cute, enjoyable episode that comes with things to think about.

Episode Rating: 7/10

Principal Charming

It had been a very long time since I saw this episode before I watched it tonight, and I have to say it was a lot funnier than I remembered it. There’s a lot of clever background sight gags that take place, mostly in the revolving restaurant scene and the pan across the school when Skinner is doing his lovesick stroll.

The whole episode moves at a swift pace and the voice acting is consistent and compelling, making a plot that’s a little thin on paper come to life in a fun and appropriately bittersweet way. They also did a great job of weaving the two plots (Patty/Skinner/Selma and Bart’s antics) together in a believable and funny way.

“Patty is the one who chose a life of celibacy. Selma just had celibacy thrust upon her.”

Episode Rating: 7/10

Next time, Homer discovers he has a long lost relative! Stay tuned!
    Last edited by Jeffster; 10-24-2014 at 06:40 AM.

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

This is an episode that always gives me mixed feelings. On the one hand, there’s lots of funny scenes and an interesting setting. There’s a great McBain opening, Bart delighting in getting to use another “bad word” legitimately, great corporate send-ups with the Powell Motors employees, and lots of little gags like the Dr. Hibbert twin, Marge’s “catching up”, Herb telling his people to tell Bart and Lisa exactly the opposite of what they told him, etc. All great stuff.

On the other hand, I really hate the way Herb treats Homer when his car isn’t well received. First of all, like Bart, I thought it looked pretty cool, but second, Herb was the one who insisted that the car be entirely Homer’s ideas without any supervision by him, so I really end up feeling for Homer and being bothered that no one mentions that Herb acts like a jerk in his blaming Homer for the downfall of his company.

So, all in all, it’s a great episode that’s kept from being an all-time classic by the ending for me.

Bart's Dog Gets an F

I can remember when this episode came out, I recorded it, and used it as a good sample episode to get people I knew into Simpsons that weren’t already, so that should give you some idea of the high regard I have for this one.

Everything is well constructed from the get-go with Santa’s Little Helper wreaking havoc on everyone in the family (and some not in the family) and the audience getting to see SLH’s point of view as well with the “blahblah” speech of people a nice touch. I especially liked that Homer’s declaration that the dog had to go was presented from SLH’s perspective, it was a great idea.

There are tons of great moments, like the “sewing finger” interactions with Lisa and Marge, Homer’s battles with mall store employees and of course Tracy Ullman’s stellar performance as Ms. Winthrop. And we get the sweet scene of Bart getting one more chance to play with his dog before believing he’d have to give him up.

The only thing that keeps this episode from getting a perfect score is the wrapped-up-in-30-seconds ending where all of a sudden SLH magically understands Bart’s commands.

As Ms. Winthrop says, “Good show!”

Episode Rating: 9/10

Old Money

A sweet and goofy episode that gives Grandpa a chance to shine for a change. It’s packed with a lot of kind of dry humor, mixed in with the more slapstick stuff, and scenes like the “seductive pill taking” part are not drawn out too long to lose their effectiveness.

They also turned the usual TV trope on its head (something The Simpsons was very good at in those days) by having Homer actually stop Grandpa from losing his money and finding a realistic way for him to actually spend it that didn’t cause too much change in any characters in ways that would affect future stories.

There were some genuine touching moments, as well as Bart and Lisa just being themselves in ways that were cute and enjoyable. I think I found this one a bit boring the first time I saw it, but it’s possible that at age 15 I just wasn’t able to appreciate a lot of it. From my perspective now, it seemed much better.

Oh, and I almost forgot, the entire Safari scene was hilarious.

Brush with Greatness

This one is very appropriately titled as “greatness” most definitely applies to this episode. I often tend to forget over time how the plot of certain episodes was set up, and I had completely forgotten that Homer’s incident at Mount Splashmore eventually led to Marge’s painting of Mr. Burns. In fact, at the point that Bart and Homer came across the Ringo painting in the attic I was thinking “Oh yeah, this is the same episode, seems like they already spent half of it on the other plot!”

But that only goes to prove how much hilarious stuff was packed into the limited time they had here, from Bart and Lisa teaming up for one of their famous “annoyingly gang up on Homer until he gives in” acts to the too-easily-impressed art teacher played by Jon Lovitz to Homer’s amazing rice cake toppings to all of the great Mr. Burns-Smithers-Marge interactions and everything in between.

I teared up a bit at the end for the second straight episode, as this time it was Marge talking about finding the inner beauty, and of course immediately followed by Miss Hoover’s hilarious bottom-lining of “He’s bad. But he’ll die. So I like it.”

Ringo was a guest star turn that made perfect sense in the context of the episode and everything comes together beautifully. Even Lisa shows she’s not always the moralizer with her fake “waterworks” to get an edge on the line at Mt. Splashmore. Awesome stuff.

Episode Rating: 10/10

Banned

woo hoo 10,000th viewer!

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jeffster

Blog Entries

your parents must be very proud

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jeffster

Lisa’s Substitute

Wow, I really put a lot into this review! It took me more than five years to write!

Seriously, though, I did attempt to start this a couple times before and I realized I wasn’t sure exactly what to say about it. I guess the two main things I remember from my first viewing of it were the great performance by that Sam Etic guy, and that I thought Lisa was a little hard on Homer.

Seeing it again, I have a little more appreciation for the perspective of all the characters in the story and think it’s actually balanced pretty well and a cute and somewhat funny episode. I still don’t find myself with a ton to say about it, besides of course...

“Dear Miss Hoover,

You have Lyme disease. We miss you. Kevin's biting me. Come back soon. Here is a drawing of a spyrogeet.

Love Ralph.”

I still think it’s overrated on forums like this by some people, because it’s far from the best episode, but it definitely has some good lines and tender moments, and Lisa’s attitude is far more justified by the story here than say, Moaning Lisa, in the first season.

Rating: 7 out of 10.

Next time, Homer and Marge go on a retreat to reconnect, and I try not to take five and a half years to review it!

Blog Entries

I've always been interested in doing one of these, but I'm not great at writing reviews and I'd probably lose interest somewhere down the line.

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Jeffster

Quote Originally Posted by Walid View Post
    I've always been interested in doing one of these, but I'm not great at writing reviews and I'd probably lose interest somewhere down the line.
    Well, you can probably tell I’m not great at writing and have also lost interest sometimes!

But lately I’ve been watching the episodes on the anniversary of when they first aired, so I was up to where I left off with this anyway, so I decided to pick it up again. And it’s not too much if I only do it once a week (or less since there’s rerun weeks.)

War of the Simpsons

"Here's your crown, Your Majesty. Queen of the harpies!"

It's another solid writing effort by John Swartzwelder, as we get a lot of great little moments to keep up a fast pace and pack a lot of action and dialogue into one episode.

We're not quite two seasons into The Simpsons and Homer and Marge's marriage has already endured quite a bit of stress. This episode is kind of the flipside of "There's No Disgrace Like Home" in Season 1, as instead Marge getting drunk at a party in front of Homer's colleagues, this time it's Homer in front of Marge's friends. The direction and voice performances do an excellent job of portraying both the humor of the situation (stuff like Homer asking perplexed Bart "do that thing you do) as well as the seriousness of it (Marge's going to church alone - I remember my mother doing this same thing to my alcoholic father when I was a kid.)

Then of course we have the duel scenes of the kids' party (with Grandpa's attempted babysitting) along with the marriage retreat. It seems obvious that Swartzwelder loves using Grandpa and taking the opportunity to point out the shrewdness of the old goat, similarly here to the way he did it in "Bart the General."

I like seeing this original version of Flanders again, not the Evangelical stereotype he became later, though that might have still produced some funny jokes, this more realistic portrayal of him being more like what Homer aspires to be (and is thus envious of) is more satisfying to me.

And we have another of those "moments of truth" with the final confrontation on the boat where Homer gets to once again prove he will choose Marge over any of his other desires. I know Matt Groening was annoyed by the winking General Sherman but it doesn't bother me any. Solid entertainment.

"Well, one fella came close. Went by the name of Homer. Seven feet tall he was, with arms like tree trunks. His eyes were like steel, cold, hard. Had a shock of hair, red like the fires of Hell.."

Rating: 9/10

Thread Information