13 7.10%
  • 2/5 "Your music is bad and you should feel bad!"

3 1.64%
  • 1/5 "Why am I sticky and naked? Did I miss something fun?"

5 2.73%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review Futurama: "Bender's Big Score"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I remember Greg Weisman's suggested Gargoyles spinoff with Brooklyn that had to do with time travel. Timedancer I think it was called. I wonder if they'll use it in the comic.

Check this out while you guys can, animatic preview of the next DVD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6jhJhmw2u4

Its going to be a direct sequel to Bender's Big Score so if you haven't seen the DVD yet even this animatic has some spoilers in it.
    Last edited by Kiyosuki; 12-01-2007 at 12:31 AM.

personality goes a long way Toli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snack Related Mishap
    I'm just hoping this series of direct-to-dvd movies finally answers what Nibbler meant when he said Leela must be the "other one." David X. Cohen has said he wants to resolve it, but who knows if they'll get to that movies.
    I thought that meant the one he was destined to meet or something. He says he's stationed on Vergon 6 too.

"SAY WHAT AGAIN. I dare you, I double dare you, motherfucker".

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't see what really needs to be resolved about Leela being "the other one" If Fry is the most important man in the universe, then it fits perfectly well that the woman he loves, and someone's who's been essential in helping him survive in the future would be the most important woman in the universe, her being a mutant may likely tie into it in some way.

Obviously there's going to be a lot more to it, and it'd be nice to have a full explanation, but it's not hard to see what the basics of it are going to be.

Of course, I'm just saying I can't wait for the full explanation.

But speaking of the Nibbloanians(sp?), did anyone find it a little odd that most of the character didn't think twice about Nibbler being a super intelligent being? I understand they didn't want to spend five minutes on all the characters reactions when the audience already found out a while ago that he can talk, but it still felt a little awkward that characters became accustomed to it soo quickly. Maybe that's just me though.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

Blog Entries

Everyone seems to be saying that, and while it's sort of odd, I don't think it would really improved things to have a scene of the characters acting shocked at what's going on. Not to mention if I'd just discoverd a timesphere, seeing that my pet could talk wouldn't really be as shocking in comparison.

milhouse the great.

What a great film, all the humor and episode/character call backs where great. Also I enjoyed seeing seymour again, made jurassic bark have a bit better ending for me.

Well, if the other three movies are as good as this one, I can't wait.

5/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    So did anyone buy it at Best Buy? Got an exclusive bonus disc featuring animatics from the movie, as well as 5 minutes of animatic clips from "The Beast With a Million Backs", which looks great.
    I did. And yeah, it looks pretty great.
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-01-2007 at 02:18 PM.

Junior Camper

i hope nudar comes back the only thing i didnt like was that there was a lot of confusing paradoxes
    sorry i am bad at spelling

I'm just like Homer!
    I'm Homer, who are you? by NoHomers.net

the simpsons is as good as ever

nurrr

the main paradox is where the timecode came from in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Milhouse the Great
    What a great film, all the humor and episode/character call backs where great. Also I enjoyed seeing seymour again, made jurassic bark have a bit better ending for me.
    Ya see though thats actually one of my few semi-gripes about it. It made Futurama's most shockingly emotional moment less sad. I really don't know if I like that or not.

Really, that scene's destroyed some of the most sardonic or non-chalant people I know. Drove my best friend to tears when I showed him that DVD and he never cries about anything usually. A part of me kinda wishes they left it alone...boat's sailed now though I suppose.

I'm going to agree with you on that one. Jurrasic Bark is still my favorite episode, but the movie kind of fucked with that episode.

That aside, I thought it was good. Not going to go into huge detail, but I was just glad to see the characters again. I hope these do good so more episodes get produced.
    You can't prove it won't happen.

Yeah Jurrasic Bark just won't be the same now.

I wonder if they lightened and messed around with the ending to it just to peeve people off. You never know, its a pretty famous and loved episode.

And Luck of the Fryrish as well. That was my main worry when I read that this DVD Movie was going to have to do with time travel and bring back Seymour and Yancy. I guess it doesn't bother me as much as other people because both are still just as sad and touching on their own for me, but I can see where people are coming from. Luckily, the next one(The Beast with A Billion Backs) looks like it is not going to have so many callbacks, which is a good thing in my mind.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Really this is the only one that calls for a numerous amount of call-backs (as opposed to a much smaller amount in the next DVD movies) since it's the first Futurama after years of waiting... The next waiting period isn't nearly as long now so there isn't as great amount of deprivity.

I agree with Kiyo on some of some of those callbacks, though... I'm really not sure how to feel about mainly Seymour and Yancy. I mean, part of me really, really loved seeing Fry and Seymour having a good time together, but at the same time Jurassic Bark's end feels cheapened. I haven't seen either of these episodes since then but I'm sure it'll still be able to make me cry, as long as I just kinda look at the episodes as simply their own episodes. And then there's the alternative in this movie which is kinda sweet. Yeah, I really don't know... pretty conflicted since these scenes worked well in the context of the movie but within the series...

Blog Entries

The thing is in Fry's memory, fryrish will still exsist though wont it. I don't want to get into a big sci fi debate, but perhaps what time travel does is create two seperate realities, like a straight line converging, and then joining up again when they can logically join up together, maybe what creates tears in the universe, is when there's no way for the a converged line to join up again.

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

Ahh...it'll suck to put that hideous image with that voice from now on (David Cohen). Pretty cool to see a video commentary though.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

How long was I inactive for? Ralph_Wiggum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My mum is going to order it -from Amazon UK- and keep it untill christmas. I'm not going to ready any spoilers untill I watch it.

Blog Entries

I just want to say can we PLEASE have no spoilers for the upcoming Futurama movies in THIS thread. I'm trying to avoid knowing any details about them, but I keep seeing people speculate on them HERE and being dangerously close to revealing stuff...That's why I don't read the "Beast with a Billion Backs" speculation thread.

-Jordan

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

LMAO...best sign gag ever. Did anyone catch the family guy 12 laughs a year calendar? (I'm watching the movie for the first time now)

Now witness the failure! StarskyMaxwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzyWuzABear
    LMAO...best sign gag ever. Did anyone catch the family guy 12 laughs a year calendar? (I'm watching the movie for the first time now)
    Yup. For once, a FG shot that was actually clever and subtle.

Plus, it's a 2000 calendar, so it pretty much fits. I'm guessing the post-renewal calendars must be about two pages long.

Okay, now THAT was cheap. Sorry folks, can't help myself sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphSpiderPig12
    My mum is going to order it -from Amazon UK- and keep it untill christmas. I'm not going to ready any spoilers untill I watch it.
    thanks for that kid

after many re-views this film has gotten better and although i can't change my vote on the poll i raise it to a 4.5/5 ....in my mind

i might even go as far as saying that it is one of the best things that ever happened to Futurama - excellent!

hahaha indeed i did
    Last edited by StupidHippo; 12-02-2007 at 10:58 AM.
    StupidHippo

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

I think I'm going to go with the idea that time travel could cause multiple parallel universes to explain it away... Seems fairly fitting and would explain for how we see everything play out as it did (because otherwise the initial stuff wouldn't have happened and so we wouldn't have seen it happen, but then the later stuff wouldn't make any sense)... I'm dropping this here now, it IS pretty confusing to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzyWuzABear
    Oh yeah, had to explain that one to a friend. Probably the best shot I've seen at FG, excluding the whole South Park two-parter, but that one was epic.

Blog Entries

I guess I'm missing something from the 12 laughs a year a year calendar then, what does it mean?

It means Family Guy only produces about 12 laughs a year. An over-statement in my opinion, but a funny joke nonetheless.

Blog Entries

But that's what I thought it meant, why have people called that subtle and clever, it's not at all.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Well, it sort of went over my head the first time I saw it...pretty dumb of me, heh.

As for Seymour and Phillip Fry II, as a big fan of both of those episodes (particularly my favorite, Jurassic Bark), I don't think it's a major deal. See, the episodes still HAPPENED at one point, it's just that history was rewritten and something else happened afterwards. But it still technically happened either way in the past (not the past past, but like...the past timeline).

Of course, you can argue that none of this actually happened since it's a show, but that's not why we're on a message board about it. :silly:

Full review soon, I gotta run.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Quote Originally Posted by H Thompson
    But that's what I thought it meant, why have people called that subtle and clever, it's not at all.
    It's still far better than any of The Simpsons' half-assed Family Guy jokes. Oh look Peter Griffin is in a book and "plagerism" is written in Italian underneath LOLZ

I don't know though. Al "Family Guy" Jean was pretty clever and subversive in it's own way. It was a really winner in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun
    Well, it sort of went over my head the first time I saw it...pretty dumb of me, heh.

As for Seymour and Phillip Fry II, as a big fan of both of those episodes (particularly my favorite, Jurassic Bark), I don't think it's a major deal. See, the episodes still HAPPENED at one point, it's just that history was rewritten and something else happened afterwards. But it still technically happened either way in the past (not the past past, but like...the past timeline).

Of course, you can argue that none of this actually happened since it's a show, but that's not why we're on a message board about it. :silly:

Full review soon, I gotta run.
    Its got nothing to really do with retconning, its just that after seeing this...Jurrasic's ending will feel a little bit cheaper now. Not quite as weighty as before.

Thread Information