View Poll Results: Oh my, yes...

Voters
183. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 "I'm back, baby!"

    92 50.27%
  • 4/5 "They're like sex, except I'm having them!"

    70 38.25%
  • 3/5 "If it takes forever, I will wait for you..."

    13 7.10%
  • 2/5 "Your music is bad and you should feel bad!"

    3 1.64%
  • 1/5 "Why am I sticky and naked? Did I miss something fun?"

    5 2.73%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 228



Thread: Rate & Review Futurama: "Bender's Big Score"



(Users Browsing this Thread: )

  1. #61
    streets ahead Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    9,454


    Quote Originally Posted by homer5000
    Just watched it for a second time. One thing particularly caught my eye: when Lars and Leela are walking through the Head Museum, one of the heads is that of Cartman from South Park. No kidding!...
    Yeah I spotted that in my first viewing. Pretty weird...

  2. #62
    Junior Camper
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    29


    I thought the movie was great, but i have one question.

    How was Lars able to apply for a job at the head museum if they have that whole career chip thing in the future?

  3. #63
    Junior Camper
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    153


    Quote Originally Posted by ElNicka
    I thought the movie was great, but i have one question.

    How was Lars able to apply for a job at the head museum if they have that whole career chip thing in the future?
    Presumably because of the experiences with Leelu had managed to make him better equipped for it.

  4. #64
    boxers, briefs, or... kimpantaloons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    don't call it that, CA
    Posts
    4,840


    did you watch the first episode of futurama?

    you gotta do what you gotta do!

  5. #65
    streets ahead Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    9,454


    Even the producers admit they kind of gave up on that. It's practically non-existant outside of the pilot and The Cryonic Woman. It was never a good plot device.

  6. #66
    wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    19,251


    just finished watching it. wow. i fucking loved it. seriously feels like the show never ended. it didn't miss a single step. what a terrific story and the whole thing was hilarious.

    a few weak jokes in the first half but i seriously can't complain much. this completely exceeded all of my expectations. these dudes are totally dedicated to the fans.

    welcome back, futurama!

    when these air on comedy central are they going to refer to it as season five or six? the original production ended after four seasons but as we all know fox stretched it out to five seasons...and is it to be assumed that once all these episodes are chopped up for tv they'll then be released as a tv dvd set? that doesn't really seem worth it...i'm just going to stick with the original dvd releases and call it good.

    also if these four movies do really well will they keep going with more movies/seasons?

  7. #67


    I'm gonna take Paul's approach and not use spoiler marks. If you haven't seen the movie yet, don't read my post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum
    it probably would have been a bit better if I hadn't figured out the big twist the second I saw Lars
    Yeah, I wish they had made that less obvious. Just knowing the plot involved time travel before seeing the movie, and the fact that the voice for Lars was soo similar to Fry, made me realize as soon as Lars came on screen what the big twist was gonna be. I still loved the movie, but they really should have disguised his identity better. Also, as stated by other earlier, the beginning started out kind of slow, and the musical numbers weren't very funny.

    But those are really my only qualms with the movie. Other than that, I thought it was great. The cliffhanger already has me anxious to see the next one. Definately a great return for Futurama, and hopefully they are around for a lot longer this time.

    4/5

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    when these air on comedy central are they going to refer to it as season five or six? the original production ended after four seasons but as we all know fox stretched it out to five seasons...and is it to be assumed that once all these episodes are chopped up for tv they'll then be released as a tv dvd set? that doesn't really seem worth it...i'm just going to stick with the original dvd releases and call it good.
    I envy you, Eddie. I am such a tool that I will buy any new futurama material on dvd. Regardless of whether they put new clips in the episodes or not.
    Last edited by Snack Related Mishap; 11-27-2007 at 05:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

  8. #68
    wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    19,251


    well, now that i've seen the movie it doesn't really seem like they really need to add new material for it to make "sense" when it airs on tv. there's no way around the fact that this new season will have an ongoing storyline(s)...they might as well just chop up this movie just the way it is into four separate episodes. nobody's gonna care.

    this whole "reconfiguring" of the movies for comedy central is starting to seem like nothing more than an irritating way to get us to buy the same episodes twice.

  9. #69
    Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The Comfy Chair
    Posts
    1,208


    It was pretty good, but sadder than your average episode.

    I thought a lot of the stuff was wrapped up very well (with the Cohen-esque using non-sensical science to explain non-sensical stuff). The thing with Fry and the Narwhal was really nicely done and it tied up with the main plot fairly well.

    However, it kind of started off slow and some of the other characters could have had better roles, like Amy, Zoidberg and even the Professor. If only they'd gotten rid of that silly thing with LaBarbera... The songs weren't up to par with some of their past jokes, but were still okay. Al Gore really wasn't that funny in it either, and the joke about the 2000 election was kind of... lame.

    Overall, it's a great movie and I might end up buying the DVD because I just got a gift card for the HMV. 4/5.

  10. #70
    Omicido Attentato Multiplo Sideshow Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    528


    Finally got to see it! Great movie, really funny, had some emotional parts, very cleverly plotted. I loved it. 4.5/5 (rounded to a 5/5).

  11. #71
    canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cowtown, Canada
    Posts
    4,188


    After having watched it twice now, I'm going with 5/5 (or, you know, 4.5/5, but for poll purposes...). The first time I watched it everything seemed a lot slower and just picked up at the end. The second time, everything worked better and despite having seen it only two and a half hours before I was just as eager to watch it again. (Though I think both my computer speakers and headphones are fucked up, since I was having a hard time hearing it.)

    It wasn't as strong on the humour side this time... but the plot was fantastic and gripping, the character usage excellent (including the background jokes - I spotted Groening's head twice, did see Cartman's head in the head museum on the first time, and loved how Randy was a commander in the fighting force at the end). Though I do feel stupid now, after reading the posts here/watching for the second time, not catching that Lars was Fry... I'm going to blame this on my poor speakers. Oh yes.

    Really, though, it was great. It really, really did start picking up after the beginning, and got funnier and much more interesting. It made great sense in its own way and fantastic for them to keep up with almost every little thing they placed.

    I really did love the stuff with Fry in the past (especially how they paid particular attention to Seymour - yay! If only his family had gotten the same), and it was just... so sweet. I'm especially happy that they're still able to incorporate emotion wonderfully, truly keep up with the characters, and, uh, still throw, at least, me on a great twist/surprise at the end.

    And highlights in the visual/audio bit were, of course, the music during Lars/Leela's montage, and the animation during that final battle. The songs were fine in their own right - sure, they weren't as good as past ones the show has done, but they were still pretty great. And everything involving Kwanza Bot was really, really great.

    Yeah. 5/5. Now I've got a load of special features to go through and I'm so excited for that.

  12. #72
    in the back of a pick-up Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    26,778
    Blog Entries
    5


    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    when these air on comedy central are they going to refer to it as season five or six? the original production ended after four seasons but as we all know fox stretched it out to five seasons...and is it to be assumed that once all these episodes are chopped up for tv they'll then be released as a tv dvd set? that doesn't really seem worth it...i'm just going to stick with the original dvd releases and call it good.
    At the very end of the credits, it acknowledges this as production codes 5ACV01, 5ACV02, 5ACV03 and 5ACV04...so, yeah, this is production code season five and the airing season "six". I doubt they'll have the insanity to release this on a separate DVD (Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story has yet to appear on any of the FG sets)...but I've been wrong before. When these air, about two minutes of each "episode" will be cut (like, to the standards of a syndicated episode), with each reconfigured to include an intro (for the second, third and fourth, the intro will probably be preceded by a "Previously on Futurama..." segment) and end credits (with each episode ending on a "To Be Continued..."). And that's it. They'll appear almost identical to what is on the DVD...of course, this all my assumption, and as I previously mentioned, I've been wrong before...
    twitter

    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

  13. #73
    Mod, eh? Tomacco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,869


    So did anyone buy it at Best Buy? Got an exclusive bonus disc featuring animatics from the movie, as well as 5 minutes of animatic clips from "The Beast With a Million Backs", which looks great. Yep, continues where this movie left off. There's going to be travelling between the universes, Kif & Amy are getting married, Fry becomes the pope of a new religion in the alternate universe (and competes in a new sci-fi sport - Deathball), Wernstrom appears, and there will be guest voices by Stephen Hawking, Dan Castellaneta (presumably as Robot Devil), David Cross and Brittany Murphy. As for a release date, it just says Coming Soon.
    Signature.

  14. #74
    space-time condominium chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    16,576


    It's so weird to see something dear to you back and in perfect form. It's like, if your dad rose from the dead but wasn't a zombie.

  15. #75
    in the back of a pick-up Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    26,778
    Blog Entries
    5


    Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    So did anyone buy it at Best Buy? Got an exclusive bonus disc featuring animatics from the movie, as well as 5 minutes of animatic clips from "The Beast With a Million Backs", which looks great. Yep, continues where this movie left off. There's going to be travelling between the universes, Kif & Amy are getting married, Fry becomes the pope of a new religion in the alternate universe (and competes in a new sci-fi sport - Deathball), Wernstrom appears, and there will be guest voices by Stephen Hawking, Dan Castellaneta (presumably as Robot Devil), David Cross and Brittany Murphy. As for a release date, it just says Coming Soon.
    Sounds awesome. Any chance of it leaking on the internet? I caved in and bought BBS on DVD today (mostly because my paper due date was pushed back a week ) at Target. I watched the commentary as well as many of the special features. The script that's available pretty much proves everything I said in my previous post, which delighted me quite a bit. And I loved the 22-minute "Everybody Loves Hypnotoad". It was genius in that sort of Monty Python way. The only thing that weirded me out was the box. Not that it's cardboard or anything, I was just miffed that the description page is glued on rather than actually on the back. I know it's like that with the Futurama box sets, but this is something a little different...

  16. #76
    So.. Chinese or Japanese? Swartzweldian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,002


    Well..Im not seeing any real bad reviews.. Out to buy it today! Woohoo!
    "Socialism is inseparably interwoven with totalitarianism and the object worship of the state. It will prescribe for every one where they are to work, what they are to work at, where they may go and what they may say. Socialism is an attack on the right to breathe freely. No socialist system can be established without a political police. They would have to fall back on some form of Gestapo, no doubt very humanely directed in the first instance."
    -Winston Churchill

  17. #77
    Do Not Touch morbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    10,469


    I know a lot of people downloaded it or saw it online or whatever but if you liked it then GO BUY IT. Pirating media is great and all but if we don't support it we risk losing it again.

    I give it a 4/5... almost perfect. I was blown away by it... I loved it! Futurama is back and kicking ass! The only reason I ding its score a little bit is because I thought the musical numbers were a bit weak. The songs just didn't seem very creative and they just seemed... well weak. Compared to classic songs like the Hell song in Hell is Other Robots both these songs just fell flat.

    GREAT, GREAT DVD though. So stoked to see new Futurama finally... and in PERFECT FORM!
    I've been accused of vulgarity. I say that's bullshit!

  18. #78
    *RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,183


    Agreed 100% with the support-the-DVD cause. Let's show the Futurama staff how much we appreciate seeing Our Favorite Future back to entertain us.

    I'll review it soon, as I'm planning on snagging the DVD tomorrow.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

  19. #79
    personality goes a long way Toli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,558


    I'm waiting for the region 4 release before I purchase my copy. Still need to buy season 1 on dvd since my VHS version of it looks silly next to the others on the shelf and the quality is also depleting.


    "SAY WHAT AGAIN. I dare you, I double dare you, motherfucker".

  20. #80
    grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NW London
    Posts
    10,517
    Blog Entries
    2


    The thing is if they do release it seperatley as a t.v set as well, I may still buy it, despite the fact that I'm certainly not the type that has to own everything or re-buy films when a special collectors edition is released.
    But if it would help get more series/movies made than hell yeah I'd be happy to buy it. It would be a nasty cynical tactic, but I'm willing to pay a lot for more futurama.

  21. #81
    Profound Sadness Kiyosuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,781


    I dug the revised Futurama theme they used in the film's intro.

  22. #82
    nurrr
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sunderland/Loughborough
    Posts
    133


    did the wierd fucking scab monsters have to be naked... all the time?

    anyways it was awesome, I think I expected too much but I was happy, man that was complicated for a fox show.

    anyways, I missed the regular intro music but far and away the two best bits:

    Santa's elf attacked with napalm

    and

    "Why are you looking at my penis?" "can I use your pen" "ARGH!!!!"

  23. #83
    Hi Doggie jordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,712
    Blog Entries
    5


    I watched the movie in a fevered sick haze, getting very confused and then I had nightmares all night about it.

    Not joking..BUT...I LOVED the movie. It was great.

    My favorite part was something along the lines of "THAT WAS ANOTHER SILLY VIDEO WILL!!!!"


    -Jordan

  24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

  25. #84
    Banned Reservoir Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,120


    Great movie. 10/10

    I just saw it for a second time and its not really as complex as I gave it credit for the first time, but still really plot heavy and interesting.

    The intro seemed similar to that of the Simpsons Movie, what with the self aware jokes and the extended intro.

    I never really liked Hermes and his story was kind of stupid, but Barbados Slim was really funny, but he got old really fast as well. That and a couple lame jokes (whoever mentioned the 2000 election was spot on) was the only real problem I had with the movie. Other than that, comic and Sci Fi gold.

    A couple more things.
    -Anyone notice Zylex's appearance?
    -The best joke in the movie is definately the EIGHT SOLID GOLD DEATH STARS. I am still chuckling about it.

    -And most importantly: I was wondering, if the time portal was paradox free, how do they explain the paradox at the end with the tatoo. It never would have been there if Bender didnt put it back at the end/middle. So isnt that a time paradox in itself.
    Last edited by Reservoir Dog; 11-29-2007 at 07:29 PM.

  26. #85
    Hi Doggie jordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,712
    Blog Entries
    5


    Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog

    -And most importantly: I was wondering, if the time portal was paradox free, how do they explain the paradox at the end with the tatoo. It never would have been there if Bender didnt put it back at the end/middle. So isnt that a time paradox in itself.

    I believe it's not a paradox as it did not...ALTER anything that was supposed to happen in the time stream anyway...or rather CONFLICT with anything that was already there??

    I'm sure someone can explain that more eloquently, but that's the gist of it, I believe....

    Also, why did Bender have to go back and put the tattoo on him? Again, I watched the movie during a bad fever and don't remember the reason for that...


    -Jordan

  27. #86
    Banned Reservoir Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,120


    The whole reason there was a story in the first place was because it DID alter what was supposed to happen in the regular time stream. Without putting the tatoo on Fry's ass back in the year 2000, they wouldnt have found it later on the beach and it wouldnt have led to the million or so Benders ripping a hole in the universe (Perhaps now would be a good time to let the readers of this post know that it does contain SPOILERS).

    But that was not the paradox I was referring to. The paradox I was referring to was that, it was that the tatoo came from seemingly nowhere, unless you consider past and future places. The tatoo only appears on Fry's ass because it was put there in the past from the future, but could only come to the future from the past even though the past got it from the future etc, etc, etc. That is a paradox, my friend.

    Btw- Bender had to go back in time and put the tatoo on Fry because "It was the only way any of this could make any sense". Meaning, it had to come from the future, which is creating the paradox to correct a paradox. Right?

  28. #87
    nurrr
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sunderland/Loughborough
    Posts
    133


    Oh I forgot.... "You do a nice handjob zoidberg"

    with those claws... he must be skilled

  29. #88
    Hi Doggie jordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,712
    Blog Entries
    5


    Ah, I see your point Reservoir Dog.

    Allow me to cut and paste something (very nerdy) from the website where the creator of Gargoyles, Greg Weisman, answers questions about his show. Gargoyles features many many time travel episodes, and many strange paradoxes similar to that...For example, a villain goes back in time and stops himself from being killed. Then he trains the old version of himself to do the same, forever and ever and ever, in an infinite loop. How did he do it in the first place? What saved him? Where did it start?


    This is what Greg Weisman says, which can be applied to Futurama if you like:

    "The loops existed as part of the timestream; they were born WITH the timestream. Always and forever. There isn't a FIRST iteration.

    They're called "Working Paradoxes". As opposed to the "Non-Working" kind where you go back in time and succeed in killing your own biological great-great-grandfather.

    A "Working Paradox" is the bread&butter of time travel in the Gargoyles Universe. A "Non-Working Paradox" isn't allowed."


    More:

    "If you try to kill your biological great-great-grandfather and you succeed. Then you will never be born. And if you're never born, than no one ever comes back to kill your g-g-grandfather. And if no one comes back, than your g-g-grandfather doesn't die. If he doesn't die than your are born. If you are born, than he dies.

    And so on, and so on, and so on...

    A non-working paradox. YUCK."


    Even more:

    "But I thought the time travel logic was fairly loose (at best). Look, I'm no physicist either. This is all make-believe. But I wanted STRICT, STRICT rules in the garg universe to eliminate the kinds of abuses that Star Trek writers (for example) are prone to doing. Cheats that start as time-travel cheats, but wind up being story cheats, character cheats, etc.

    And in the garg universe, if you went back in time to save JFK, you'd fail. Or you'd succeed. But he'd decide to go into deep hiding or travel to Avalon or to the year 2002 or something, so that history as we know it would still be exactly the same."


    Anyway, not exactly the same as Futurama's time travel rules but I thought it was interesting, and sort of shows up in the movie...


    -Jordan

  30. #89
    in the back of a pick-up Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    26,778
    Blog Entries
    5


    Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog
    The whole reason there was a story in the first place was because it DID alter what was supposed to happen in the regular time stream. Without putting the tatoo on Fry's ass back in the year 2000, they wouldnt have found it later on the beach and it wouldnt have led to the million or so Benders ripping a hole in the universe (Perhaps now would be a good time to let the readers of this post know that it does contain SPOILERS).

    But that was not the paradox I was referring to. The paradox I was referring to was that, it was that the tatoo came from seemingly nowhere, unless you consider past and future places. The tatoo only appears on Fry's ass because it was put there in the past from the future, but could only come to the future from the past even though the past got it from the future etc, etc, etc. That is a paradox, my friend.

    Btw- Bender had to go back in time and put the tatoo on Fry because "It was the only way any of this could make any sense". Meaning, it had to come from the future, which is creating the paradox to correct a paradox. Right?
    Perhaps over the course of the next three DVDs we'll learn how it got there in the first place, but I think the fact that it's there is simply told in this exchange:

    LEELA: What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?

    FRY: It was bound to be somewhere!

    So, yes, it's a huge, incredible paradox, but maybe the writers know this. I mean, if you think about it, Fry is "the chosen one", and the most important person alive (according to canon) in our universe, so perhaps Nibbler or someone will tell us later on. If it isn't resolved by "Into the Wild Green Yonder", then it's time to bitch...

  31. #90


    I'm just hoping this series of direct-to-dvd movies finally answers what Nibbler meant when he said Leela must be the "other one." David X. Cohen has said he wants to resolve it, but who knows if they'll get to that movies.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •