Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Venture Bros.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Yeah that's completely fucking ridiculous. Watch "Are You There God? it's Me, Dean." or 'Ice Station-- IMPOSSIBLE!" and tell me it's bad.

Sure you can hate on "The Terrible Secret of Turtle Bay" but come ON "Return to Spider-Skull Island" for god's fucking sake!

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

season 1 is damn funny, I like how they have a lot of villains other than the monarch
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

Yeah season one is awsome, justas good as season 2, the only thing it is missing it the continueing story line of season 2.
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

I suppose I'll have to see for myself, in regards to season one's quality. :silly:
    "Evolution is silly," AJ adds. "Monkeys? Um, no."

her cocoa is so chuggable PreciousBodilyFluids's Avatar

It's not "bad" per-se, but it's certainly not as good as the lot of you are claiming it to be. Granted, the last few episodes are pretty good, but that doesn't excuse the brain-dead-Johnny-Quest-heavy-parodic-nature of the rest of the season's episodes.

The constant barrage of sex and pop culture references is about the same as Season Two, but they usually feel forced and out of place, Family Guy-ish, even.

Not only that, but a few of the characters (Brock and Orpheus, especially) seem paper thin as far as character is concerned, at least in relation to Season Two.

It's basically a standard first season, not to good, but hard to judge because the show is constantly developing and redefining itself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caiaphas View Post
    the brain-dead-Johnny-Quest-heavy-parodic-nature of the rest of the season's episodes.

Uh... considering that's THE POINT OF THE SHOW.. kind of invalidated as a complaint.

It's not like Season 2 didn't have poor episodes. Did you not see "Escape to the House of Mummies, part 2" and others? Love Beihts its like one of the worst episode ever, and it's Season 2.

No Season 1 didn't have an overarching plot, if you ignore the whole "boys are clones adventuring."

In my opinion Season 1 establishes the series in a wonderful way for the epic saga can unfold from.

her cocoa is so chuggable PreciousBodilyFluids's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARMslingerJoshua View Post
    Uh... considering that's THE POINT OF THE SHOW.. kind of invalidated as a complaint.

It's not like Season 2 didn't have poor episodes. Did you not see "Escape to the House of Mummies, part 2" and others? Love Beihts its like one of the worst episode ever, and it's Season 2.

No Season 1 didn't have an overarching plot, if you ignore the whole "boys are clones adventuring."

In my opinion Season 1 establishes the series in a wonderful way for the epic saga can unfold from.

It WAS the point of the show. The show started out as a direct parody of Johnny Quest, but, by the second season, had morphed into an original show with real characters, not superficial ones. Every show has a starting point (this one in parody) and I respect that, even if I don't like it.

Uh...all of the worst episodes are in Season 1. Mid-life Chrysalis, Tag-Sale-You're It, and the Pilot.

Back in the day, people were defending Season 1 of the Simpsons. In time, I think more people will agree with me. Until then, lets just agree to disagree.

Now witness the failure! StarskyMaxwell's Avatar

I liked Tag-Sale. The other two, however, are indeed amongst the worst episodes in the series, although to me that honor belongs to Careers In Science. Not even the PROBLEM light could save it.

Escape To The House Of Mummies (Part Two) could very well be the best episode of anything ever. How anyone can dislike it is beyond me.

Oh, and I still defend The Simpsons' first season.

^yeah I still defend it too, and I don't agree with the dislike of VB s1. Or the hate for the Jonny Quest homage. The homage and parodies were still prevalent to me in the second season, just not as in your face...it might have been an extreme parody in season one while establishing everyone or something but the themes are still there since that's what the show [still] is.

"Tag-Sale-You're It" is the episode that got me INTO this show, I love it. "Mid-Life Chrysalis" was all right to me but that's because I like The Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend. I liked most of the eps, really. With VB if I can't remember shit about an episode by its title or descrip then chances are it was a forgettable ep to me to begin with and it would likely be on the bottom of my list of faves if I had to make one.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caiaphas View Post
    It WAS the point of the show. The show started out as a direct parody of Johnny Quest, but, by the second season, had morphed into an original show with real characters, not superficial ones. Every show has a starting point (this one in parody) and I respect that, even if I don't like it.

Uh...all of the worst episodes are in Season 1. Mid-life Chrysalis, Tag-Sale-You're It, and the Pilot.

Back in the day, people were defending Season 1 of the Simpsons. In time, I think more people will agree with me. Until then, lets just agree to disagree.

No, we'll never agree, because we love season 1 AND season 2. We're not going to "upgrade" our opinion just to be fashionable.

Yes there will be people who like S2 or S3 or S4 more because thats what theyw ere exposed to first, but for people who have watched it since the pilot aired, we'll always love it all 100%.

the only ep I don't care for is "Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner?" even Jackson Publick admits it's one their weaker episodes because it was rushed. But even the weaker eps have their moments.

It did have Ghost Lincoln.

Presumed dead or on vacation Robbie's Avatar

According to the Zap2it TV listings, the premiere episode will be called "Shadowman 9: In the Cradle of Destiny."

I'm intrigued...

Blog Entries

I just realized: Whoever said "Careers in Space" is the worst.. what the hell is wrong with you? Brock brutality and womanizing, Jonas Venture, Sr. hallucinations and PHANTOM SPACE MAN. Come on!

Quote Originally Posted by StarskyMaxwell View Post
    It did have Ghost Lincoln.
    I also liked the rivalry between brock and agent Hauser

Quote Originally Posted by Enter The Moleman View Post
    the only ep I don't care for is "Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner?" even Jackson Publick admits it's one their weaker episodes because it was rushed. But even the weaker eps have their moments.
    If this is a weak episode, it just shows how great this series is. I am not going to write an essay about it, but Season 1 was good. The 2nd was better, the 3rd season will hopefully be better than that.

Exactly my point, and judging from the previews and what Jackson Publick has been talking about on his blog the 3rd season is going kick ass.

Bump for the Shirt Club!

Hopefully Friday 6pm est i will finally be able to watch a new episode of Venture Brothers on adultswinfix

...sssss... science? BlindPsychic's Avatar

So yeah, it premiered tonight, I think this is the first episode ever to have none of the Venture Clan in speaking roles, with Brock and young Rusty having cameos. Good episode, the flashbacks are great for the story of the world, not outrageously funny (still some great moments, like Monarch's break in on the venture compound), but going by season 2, episode 1 is the plot episode, episode 2 is where the funny comes in full force.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

That was sorta confusing, i'll have to watch it again

Blog Entries

Huh? I thought it was premiering Sunday, and it's not on AS tonight..

EDIT: Er, nevermind. Found it on AS.com. Um, so, that was...interesting. I liked the Monarch/Dr. Girlfriend backstory and the henchmen subplot, but I do really hope we get the Ventures and all that good stuff next week...
    Last edited by Ryan; 05-30-2008 at 10:32 PM.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

I thought it was one of the best episodes in the entire series. But then again, I love Dr. Girlfriend and The Monarch with a passion.

And yeah, next week's episode focuses on the Venture gang.

Blog Entries

Loved it. Kupo and I will adore the Monarch/Dr.Girlfriend angle.

...Is Back Baby!!! The "Urban" Lenny's Avatar

I found the episode to be a little confusing. Did they ever say what Dr. Girlfriend said to the Monarch, or not? Besides that, it was a decent episode, although I am a little disappointed that none of the Venture family had speaking roles. Still, it was cool to see the Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend met.

I am waiting until Sunday night...so excited for this first episode!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The "Urban" Lenny View Post
    I found the episode to be a little confusing. Did they ever say what Dr. Girlfriend said to the Monarch, or not? Besides that, it was a decent episode, although I am a little disappointed that none of the Venture family had speaking roles. Still, it was cool to see the Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend met.
    I think it was kind of the point they didn't really specifically address it.

As far as I can tell: Dr. G has been working with the Guild the entire time, and she kept Monarch "in-line" for them. That was her confession and they were attacked by Slaughterbots later and forced to explain their relationship to each other and the conspiring traitor Phantom Limb. Then they granted them duoship in the Guild.
    Last edited by D4C; 05-31-2008 at 12:13 PM.

...Is Back Baby!!! The "Urban" Lenny's Avatar

^That's what I thought happened, but I wasn't sure since I came into the video about 2 minutes into it and I thought that I missed the part when she specifically told him her secret.

Thought it was pretty good, nothing extremely hilarious, but it's a nice story for monarch and girlfriend

http://www.adultswim.com/video/index.html
    They upload the upcoming weekend's episodes every Friday

Thread Information