Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Simpsons Go to the Oscars! (and many other award shows)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

The Simpsons Go to the Oscars! (and many other award shows)

So, it's that time of the year where studios ship in their film choices to be selected as a nominee for the Academy Awards. Normally, a film like "The Simpsons Movie" would never be considered for one of these, but luckily they came out with the wonderful "Best Animated Feature" award back in 2001. Well, surprise, surprise, 20th Century Fox sent in Simpsons for consideration, and now the movie is eligible to become one of the three candidates this upcoming year for that prestigious award.

Twelve features have been submitted for consideration in the Animated Feature Film category for the 80th Academy Awards®.

The 12 submitted features are:

Alvin and the Chipmunks
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters
    Bee Movie
    Beowulf
    Meet the Robinsons
    Persepolis
    Ratatouille
    Shrek the Third
    The Simpsons Movie
    Surf's Up
    Tekkonkinkreet
    TMNT

Alvin and the Chipmunks, Beowulf and Persepolis have not yet had their required Los Angeles qualifying run. The submitted features must fulfill the general release requirements and meet all of the category's other qualifying rules before they can advance in the voting process.

Under the rules for this category, a maximum of 3 films can be nominated in a year in which the field of eligible entries numbers at least 8 but fewer than 16.

Films submitted in the Animated Feature Film category also may qualify for Academy Awards in other categories, including Best Picture, provided they meet the requirements for those categories.

The 80th Academy Awards nominations will be announced on Tuesday, January 22, 2008, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2007 will be presented on Sunday, February 24, 2008, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC Television Network beginning at 5 p.m. PT.
    First off, Beowulf will never appear on the ballot due to the fact that it is nearly 100% motion capture, and Alvin and the Chipmunks has no chance due to the fact that 75% of it is not animation (at least, it looks like it isn't)...

...moving on, Simpsons Movie has been sighted as one of the most likely nominees according to both the unprofessional and professional, the support being both its successful box office ($525 worldwide, $185 domestic) as well as its great reception from critics (88% on RT, just behind Ratatouille in 2007 animation)...another strong factor is that fact that the Simpsons is a highly-known commodity, and their involvement would bring a sense of freshness and unique presence to the awards, which it desperately needs. The Academy may give the nomination to the movie alone just to help boost ratings...

...okay, I know, this seems like exciting news. "Holy shit! The Simpsons are most likely going to be in the Academy Awards! OMFG!!!" Yet, I never said they'd win...because they won't. The award will, and MUST (I'm stressing that word firmly) go to Ratatouille...which is, pretty much an animated classic that won the award the day it came out in theaters. No other animated movie deserves it, not even the Simpsons. Though, I have to say, OFF does deserve the nomination, and I hope they receive it...

...so, all in all, I let you all discuss now, and let's try to keep this thread updated for not only Oscar news (Jan. 22nd is nomination day, by the way), but other award news. Expect the Simpsons to be a huge contender in the Annies, so keep track of that especially!...
    Last edited by Ryan; 11-08-2007 at 06:03 PM.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ha! half of the stuff on their doesn't even deserve to be nominated. I'm a little certain Ratatouille will win seeing as Pixar usually has the advantage, but you never know. After seeing last years Academy Awards, you never know who will win!

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Ratatouille is probably the only movie that gives the Simpsons Movie any competition. I haven't seen Meet the Robinsons or Bee Movie, but I assume they will take a backseat to Ratatouille.

I've seen Ratatouille, Shrek the Third, and The Simpsons Movie. While Ratatouille is good, the Simpsons Movie, in my mind, blows it away. I am not big on most animated features in general, so my opinion is probably not valid.

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

I really hope Ratatouille doesn't win. I never saw why it was tendered the critical acclaim that is was...it was actually my least favorite out of the animated films I saw this year. Meet the Robinsons and Bee Movie were both extremely well-done, and the Simpsons probably was too if I wasn't looking through the eyes of a hardcore fan.

well, i really like Ratatoullie and the simpsons movie, so it would be great if one of them gets the oscar.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

Ratatoullie was really boring, i thought, for a Pixar movie. I just couldn't see kids enjoying it. But that won't effect how the academy judges it, making this entire post useless.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Well, it's also been nominated for a British Comedy Award and People's Choice Award. In the BCA, it's up against Borat and Hot Fuzz, so it likely won't win.

You guys are all way off clearly the best animated will go to Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters, no one else stands a chance...HA...I have this feeling like Bee Movie, Shrek and the stupid Pixar Rat thing will be the top three though.

OFF absolutely deserves the nomination.
    The top three will most likely be Ratatouille (the biggest competition), Bee Movie and The Simpsons Movie.

The Simpsons are certainly in for a chance.

(By the way, they won that British Movie Award.)
    Good morning! And in case I don't see ya: Good afternoon, good evening and goodnight!
    - - -

According to this, the winners of the BCAs haven't been announced yet.

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

Quote Originally Posted by homer5000
    The award will, and MUST (I'm stressing that word firmly) go to Ratatouille...which is, pretty much an animated classic that won the award the day it came out in theaters.
    I haven't seen it yet, but from what I've heard it's not as great as you're making out.

Actually I think the Simpsons has a chance. I didn't think it was particularly great personally, but it was certainly funny and smart enough for casual viewers. The animation was superb (as is Ratatouille from the look of it), and the direction is probably similarly good. I'd go out on a limb and say the voicing in the Simpsons Movie is better.
    Simpson Crazy
    Now with iGoogle gadgets! Try Quote of the Day and Word of the Day

my other sites: Toon images · Song Lyrics · Website tutorials

I would really like to see the simpsons win the Oscar and i think there is one big argument for them to win,It is animated in 2d not like Ratatouille and shrek the third and other movies on that list

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Uncle Skeleton
    I'd go out on a limb and say the voicing in the Simpsons Movie is better.
    There is no performance in The Simpsons Movie that can top Peter O'Toole's in Ratatouille. Not even Julie Kavner. And yes, this Pixar Rat movie is that good...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KoenSoontjens
    I would really like to see the simpsons win the Oscar and i think there is one big argument for them to win,It is animated in 2d not like Ratatouille and shrek the third and other movies on that list
    Well, persepolis is 2d animation and you could almost say Aqua Teen Hunger Force is 2d *ahum* 'animation'

yea but those are probably not going to be nominated

Does anyone think the movie has a shot in any of the other categories that animated films get nominated in? Like writing, sound, musical score, etc?

If they were to get nominated in any other category, it would probably be writing, but you never know.

Scary Beast

Best Lighting lol. It would definetly win Best Use of Yellow Skinned people though.

Blog Entries

I saw Bee movie last week and although I was impressed, I really don't think it DESREVES to win (sorry Jerry) I'm probably going to get replies against what I'm about to say but here goes. I really enjoyed the SImpsons Movie but mostly the first half hour, while as great as it was I thought it could've done a tad bit better, I know hard work went into it and it did end up really funny, but I think Ratatouille was an original piece of Pixar magic and one of the only ones of the year that doesn't make you roll your eyes at the thought of another CGI movie. As close of a call it is between the two I just can't help but say....... I want the rat movie to win.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lardofthedance
    I saw Bee movie last week and although I was impressed, I really don't think it DESREVES to win (sorry Jerry) I'm probably going to get replies against what I'm about to say but here goes. I really enjoyed the SImpsons Movie but mostly the first half hour, while as great as it was I thought it could've done a tad bit better, I know hard work went into it and it did end up really funny, but I think Ratatouille was an original piece of Pixar magic and one of the only ones of the year that doesn't make you roll your eyes at the thought of another CGI movie. As close of a call it is between the two I just can't help but say....... I want the rat movie to win.
    Hey, you got a supporter right here. All I really want is for Simpsons to get nominated, which that alone would be so incredibly awesome...

Blog Entries

^My exact opinion

farmer's market enthusiast Dylan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xt'Tapalatakettle
    Ratatouille is probably the only movie that gives the Simpsons Movie any competition. I haven't seen Meet the Robinsons or Bee Movie, but I assume they will take a backseat to Ratatouille.

I've seen Ratatouille, Shrek the Third, and The Simpsons Movie. While Ratatouille is good, the Simpsons Movie, in my mind, blows it away. I am not big on most animated features in general, so my opinion is probably not valid.
    My thoughts exactly.

....Beowulf is animated? Fooled me.
    Signature.

Blog Entries

^And...THAT is exactly the reason it should never even be near that Oscar...

Blog Entries

Lets just hope they don't pick something stupid like last year's Happy Feet which was generally ok. Now that I think of it all 3 nomintations last year weren't that great. Even Cars was the first dissapointing Pixar film.

My quick notes on each film's chances...

Alvin and the Chipmunks - No, plus I don't think it qualifies (both in animation and time of release)
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters - They won't go for it
    Bee Movie - Has a chance, but I haven't seen many positive reviews, last time I looked it was only 50% on RT. But they probably will go for it.
    Beowulf - Won't qualify.
    Meet the Robinsons - I don't think so, although I haven't seen it.
    Persepolis - I saw a few critics tip this for a nom (whatever it is..)
    Ratatouille - Will, in my view, win.
    Shrek the Third - Not that good, 1 won, 2 nomed, 3 = overkill
    The Simpsons Movie - Will be nominated, only really chance of beating the Rat.
    Surf's Up - Maybe, although could be a case of penguin overkill.
    Tekkonkinkreet - What?
    TMNT - No.

So my tip - Rataouille, The Simpsons Movie and Bee Movie
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mirkin, 1995
    I think at the end of the eighth season, we'll all have to sit down, make sure the show is still fresh. Make sure that's it's not repeating itself or falling into a formula and you know...It's very possible that we'll still have energy after eight seasons, but hopefully it will always be a decision of quality, to make sure we are not lowering the quality just to make a little bit more money.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I highly suggest seeing Tekkonkinkreet, BEAUTIFUL animation, story and music.
    UP AND ATOM!

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

Ratatouille was probably better story, artsiness, and quality but the Simpsons was easily much funnier. As long as one of those two wins, I'll be happy. Bee Movie deserves a nomination too.

Tougher! Rougher! Badder! I Love Lisa's Avatar

I'd love for The Simpsons to win, but I wouldn't mind if it lost to Ratatouille, both are great films and deserve it much more than any of the others. I'm sure it'll at least get nominated.

I'll bring my hilarious apron Jye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought Ratatouille was waaaaay overrated. I didn't enjoy it at all, and I really like Pixar movies. I'm hoping TSM can pull this off.

SuperFriend Theres Always a Bigger Fish's Avatar

I saw Ratatouille today, it was pretty good. But, The Simpsons Movie in my opinion is way better.

Thread Information