9 20.45%
  • 1/5

4 9.09%

Rate/Review Family Guy "Believe It or Not, Joe's Walking on Air"

4/5 Very good episode. Highlight was Carter and Dr. Hartman

Pin Pal

4/5 better than last week

King of My World shark_vs_gorilla's Avatar

This one really did not work at all. the only funny parts involved stewie or hitler. 2/5 cause i still laughed at the aforementioned parts. The meta jokes about the show totally fell flat a poor outing at best.

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

Some of it was pretty funny, some of it was pretty bad.

The idea of Joe walking was a good one, but they waited too far into the episode to start that plot.

2/5.

This was a somewhat ordinary episode. All you really look forward to are the hit-or-miss flashbacks and cutaways.

I don't think Family Guy should joke about other shows (According to Jim) being "bland" or "boring", because this is quickly becoming another.

2.5/5

Easily the worst and most disjointed episode of the season so far. At least half of the cutaways weren't funny either. Sad after last week's great episode.
    Signature.

Rate & Review FG? ...I'd rather Rant & Revile it!
    This episode was Not bonerific at all! A total waist of my time.
    No good laughs, just yawns. I wish this series was canceled!

..other than that, ..it was okay

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Only saw the first two acts. I actually liked the somewhat endearing use of Bonnie and the conflict with Joe in beginning. The rest was standard hit-or-miss Family Guy.

What's with the stock celebrity cutaways? They're really lame. It's basically taking some annoying aspect of a famous person, and having a character on the show uncharacteristically point out and rant for a minute about those attributes. So lazy and overdone. Keep the unfunny tirades in an online blog or something, Seth.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

yeah, that collin ferrel crap went on forever
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

I've always hated Joe, so automatically I didn't care for this episode much. It had the same flaws and laziness all new Family Guy episodes have. But, it had a few decent jokes, which is more than I can say for The Simpsons tonight.

2.5/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper Squirrel
    yeah, that collin ferrel crap went on forever
    ^Yeah, I hate how they so blatantly use the characters to bitch about things. Its a lot worse than when South Park does it, because at least South Park usually has a valid point to make.

Great meta-references with Carter/Dr. Hartman's voices, Hitler, and the return of Spider-Man. Other than that, it was kind of dull.

3/5

The fight scene was hilarious. Sadly, that was the only notable good part of the episode.

Blog Entries

Lots of meta in this episode. Two gags about the cutaways, as well as Carter and Hartman (which, incidentally, seems to come from one of the audio commentaries in the last DVD set)...and return of Spider-Man. Besides that, the episode was okay...last week's was much better.

3/5...
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

I'll bring my hilarious apron Jye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty good episode. I liked the return of Buzz Killington. 3/5.

Junior Camper

Like others have said, nothing too notable. I liked the return of spiderman and the fight scene. I kinda wish that joe got re-paralyzed by some other way, like maybe his new friends were doing something crazy or whatever and Joe had an accident and got crippled again. Gun thing was kinda dumb I thought.

2/5
    "That's rediculious, how could I even get all 5 necessary drops into her cereal.... what?"

They had a clip in the promo where they put Joe's legs thru a paper shredder, but that's no better than an awkward spine injury.

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi
    Like others have said, nothing too notable. I liked the return of spiderman and the fight scene. I kinda wish that joe got re-paralyzed by some other way, like maybe his new friends were doing something crazy or whatever and Joe had an accident and got crippled again. Gun thing was kinda dumb I thought.

2/5
    I agree. I mean who didn't know he was going to be re-paralyzed by the end of the episode? I wish they had done it in a less predictable, less fucked up way. The fight scene was kind of funny, but Bonnie shooting him followed by him shooting himself wasnt.

Omicido Attentato Multiplo Sideshow Jay's Avatar

I'm being very generous by giving this episode a 2/5. It won't be long before I tune out once again like I did during Season 5.

Awesome episode. Certainly thought it was bonerific. The part where Peter and Co. got their asses kicked was pretty hilarious.

4/5
    You can't prove it won't happen.

That was the part I hated the most.

You must not have a sense of humor I guess.

I do, and I understand if that scene works for some people, but it didn't for me. I did smile a little when Joe told Bonnie "Just give me the damn thing, I'll do it myself!"

Only watched about half of this, but it was pretty decent from what I saw. Better than the other episodes this season at least.

I post here (sometimes) Ben Dewison's Avatar

Believe It Or Not, Joe’s walking on Air

Communication: It is perfectly understandable that a wife would get tired of being married to a handicapped husband, who in turn would feel ashamed of letting her down. It seems unrealistic that the financial implications of Joe’s leg transplant were not discussed, considering they presumably prevented him from receiving the treatment previously, but he did have new non-monetary motives. From then on, the episode fell apart. Like so many other episodes where a character gains an additional privilege, Joe completely forgot his previous background with functional legs and showed none of his endearing characteristics. This is dehumanising and has no basis in reality. Even worse, Joe’s friends decided to re-cripple Joe, as they did not like what he had become. Just think about that statement. Bonnie also joined in the movement by trying to shoot him, while afterwards Joe thanked his friends for it. Nothing about this episode suggested beating him so badly as to disable him is a criminal, if not evil, thing to do. They could easily have just enjoyed each other’s company or got another friend. Joe was a police officer and none of the others faced criminal charges! 2/8

Insight: The opening conflict between Joe and Bonnie was effective. Even before they uncomfortably sat down to watch every other couple have fun dancing in the bar Joe opened with his friends, Joe blurted out that he wanted to talk about vaginas when discussing small businesses. This established that he had innate sexual desires from the start that could not be performed with his handicapped condition, while Bonnie’s emotions were handled with subtlety. She tried to put on a smile when discussing the problem and never directly blamed it on him, but her word choices suggested she was deeply unhappy. The conversations at the men’s club were also fun. The surreal questions involving starting businesses with celebrities usually introduced in sexual contexts were met with suitably surreal responses, pointing out how we sometimes pigeonhole or objectify these celebrities in an amusing way. Cleveland’s totally sincere “thank you” after Peter agreed to have sex with him in order to have sex with Angelina Jolie was a highlight. However, Joe’s plot was rushed. Straight after enjoying sex with Bonnie, he decided to be more active and to bully his friends into participating. He then decided he did not like Bonnie. This came out of nowhere as his sex with Bonnie was for mutual benefit. 2/4

Technique: Beyond the wider implications, it also disrupts the show’s continuity and makes us take Joe less seriously when he behaves so out of character. The same goes for every other character involved in re-crippling him. Brutal violence has been used many times before in Family Guy, so this is not shocking as much as it is numbing. Most of the cutaways were forgettable, especially the one involving Colin Farrell which dragged on and ended with Stewie killing him, which is unbelievably lazy and implies that we want everyone with unpleasant attributes dead. However, the one involving Consuela at court was a suitable exaggeration, even if the punch line was predictable. The meta-humour between Dr. Hartman and Carter was a nice touch, but their voices seemed more noticeably similar than usual. 0/2

Consistency: This episode only had one plot which facilitated the focus and development of the emotions of every vested party throughout. However, the main storyline was only introduced over half way through the episode. Even the introduction to it, Joe and Bonnie’s conflict, was only introduced a few minutes beforehand. There was so much unnecessary filler material which disrupted the flow of the story, such as Peter and his friends moving to a new bar to get away from their wives before welcoming them into the new bar without hesitation at first sight. This show’s cutaway style also contradicts the essence of storytelling and therefore it will always be harder for it to obtain this extra mark than other shows. 0/1

Total: 4/15 or 1/5. I’m still genuinely surprised at how many episodes fans seem to find more offensive than this.

Thread Information