Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lion King

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned

The Lion King

I was wrong when I said The Emperor's New Groove was the best Disney movie.

It might be the funniest, but in terms of overall greatness, The Lion King wins.

It just has such beautiful animation, beautiful story, and beautiful music.

But, for some strange, annoying reason, they've stopped producing The Lion King on DVD. Really odd..

Maybe because of it's controversies:

Kimba the White Lion, and The Lion King controversy.

Click here to read more.

All I'll say is that it's the origin of the 'Round Springfield line, "you must avenge my death Kimba..I mean Simba".

^ and apparently that says "sex"..

"However, the films' animators have stated that the letters spell "SFX" (a common abbreviation of "special effects"), and was a sort of innocent "signature" signed by the effects animation team to the work they did."

There are several other controversies within the film.

I'll finish by saying: "If you haven't seen this film, I'd assume you'd been living in a cave for fifteen years".

I love it and all but Alice in Wonderland is the best Disney film for me.

And maybe it's my dirty mind talking but I'm reading 'sex' in that last picture.

streets ahead

The only reason the DVD has stopped being produced is because Disney have some sort of obsession with only releasing their stuff for a while and then putting them back in "the vault". It's happened with their other films, like Beauty and the Beast. The DVDs are usually re-released a few years later with identical features, proving there really is no point to the vault.

Omicido Attentato Multiplo Sideshow Jay's Avatar

The Lion King is the best. I love that movie.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Really amazing movie chock full of meaning and symbolism. The characters, humor, and music are all spectacular as well (though with the music, I've begun to appreciate the actual score more than the songs as I've gotten older).
    My Nintendo webcomic,

i'm not good with user titles Lisa Is A Nut's Avatar

I absoleutly adore this film. I love it so much. It makes my cry, laugh and msotly, smile. Fantastic music and plot, and the voices are magnificent.
    Missing Children Videos
    Find Madeline McCann
    The Help Find Madeline Forum
    Stop Animal Cruelty Petition

>>Madeline McCann disappeared from her hotel room in Praia Da Luz, Portugal, on May 3rd 2007. If you have any information on her disappearance please click here or visit the youtube missing children channel.

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun
    Really amazing movie chock full of meaning and symbolism. The characters, humor, and music are all spectacular as well (though with the music, I've begun to appreciate the actual score more than the songs as I've gotten older).
    Same here. This Land is a beautiful piece. I Just Can't Wait to Be King and Hakuna Matata were fun when I was a kid though.

Beautiful film that manages to move me even to this day.

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    The DVDs are usually re-released a few years later with identical features, proving there really is no point to the vault.
    It helps sell their DVDs, because they don't specify when it will be re-released again, so it creates a sense of urgency to buy the DVD. That is the whole point of the whole "Vault" thing, its a huge marketing gimmick. I thought that was obvious, though.

Though, to be fair, they usually add new features to recent movies, and old movies are always digitally remastered and everything.

Back on topic... for some reason I actually didn't really care for The Lion King as a kid when it came out. But I've actually grown to love it more over the years as I've gotten older. Now, when I watch it, I can appreciate it for what it really is, art... not just a movie with some famous Disney songs in it.

BTW Starman... you don't have to include a visual aid in all of your threads... we know what The Lion King is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tinted
    maybe it's my dirty mind talking but I'm reading 'sex' in that last picture.
    yea it looks like it says sex.

but yea the lion king is truly my favorite disney movie.

It's not my favorite Disney movie, but it's definitely up there. It's certainly one of Disney's proudest moments in terms of animation, score, and story. The characters were pretty well done in almost all respects, most of them were very charming or welcome (even Scar, who is certainly one of the better villains of recent Disney memory), and the themes behind the movie of finding your place in life or confronting past mistakes and horrors are very well-developed. The plot does earn points in not being based off of a fairy tale like most of the other Disney movies (though it does borrow from Hamlet and there is the controversy of Kimba), and the soundtrack is quite good, with Circle of Life definitely being the best song of the film.

There are just a couple of things that I don't think work with the film however, one of which is the love theme between Simba and Nala, which while believable isn't particularly engaging or vital to the story, and the obligatory love song, Can You Feel the Love Tonight? isn't an attention-grabber either (Oscar win or not). These are still minor problems though, this is still rightfully one of Disney's greatest achievements, in fact it was almost too successful what with it's release and re-release, since not many Disney films have measured up since, and of course the company's commercial decisions have been questionable at best. Still, this is a great animated movie.
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

You know what's freaky is I woke up this morning with The Lion King musical score in my head. Might just be because The Lion King stage play thing is in Hawai`i right now.

Anyway, I totally love this film. I always felt sad when Simba finally grew up because I LOVE when Simba and Nala are young, it was like a shift I didn't want to happen but it did and was still enjoyable regardless. Just that "going from young happy times" to "serious and sometimes moody adult times" I guess, but it adds something to the film for me in that respect because it really is what is happening on film.

Movie is just beautiful in story, song, animation especially, and there isn't much that I dislike from it at all. Kimba controversy aside, even. Hell, I named one of my dogs Nala in elementary school.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Lion King is among my top 2 Disney movies (along with Aladdin).

It's one of Disneys Masterpieces, and they didn't stop selling the DVD because of minor "controversies", like someone else said, that's Disneys marketing gimmick.

Like the newly remastered Jungle Book. That would get almost no sales on a month to month basis because it's so old and everyones seen it, but because they are releasing it remastered for a limited time, it will sell.

But don't expect this to come out of the vault anytime soon:

You can't prove it won't happen.

I'll bring my hilarious apron Jye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Lion King is awesome. It's my second favourite Disney Movie. I think the best one is Aladdin.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneFamous
    BTW Starman... you don't have to include a visual aid in all of your threads...
    Can, and will.
    Last edited by Starman; 09-28-2007 at 05:53 PM.

purple is a fruit

Havent seen it in years but I used to watch it alot. I wouldnt say it was my most favorite movie when I was young The animation was great not that I took much notice when I was young:silly:. But a good kids movie in my book .

Simba and Nala's love might not have been a central theme, but it had a purpose. Nala was necessary to continue the circle of life so that Simba could have an heir, thus we return to where the movie began: Rafiki holding a cub above the cliff overlooking the Pridelands. She was also necessary in bringing Simba home (even if it was Rafiki and the big Mufasa head cloud who finally got across to Simba). I liked their story, even if it wasn't the central theme. I liked the Can You Feel the Love Tonight? scene too.

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

The "can you feel the love tonight?" scene is the only thing in the movie I hate. Hated it as a kid, still hate it now. Its so cheesy and unnecessary.

King of My World shark_vs_gorilla's Avatar

Wait time out! the "SEX" was in the stars!? i always heard it was in the dust during the wildabeast stampeed! i spend a good 15 min looking for it in my younger years GAH!!.

Jokes aside it was a great movie with great songs and animation. And it also became a really good broadway show which i did get to see actually on broadway.

I will say that Elton John's version of Can You Feel the Love Tonight?, which played over the end credits, was much better than the version played in the movie. Now that I think about it, the only reason I liked the in-movie version was for Simba and Nala's brief lines (as well as Timon and Pumbaa's comical attempt at sentimentality). The choir or whatever was... awful. I suppose the movie could have done without that scene, though I think it should've just been done better, perhaps if the choir wasn't trying too hard to sing dramatically. It just sounded rather obnoxious. I'm able to look past this, though, as it's still a beautiful movie.

I sort of "rediscovered" this movie a couple months ago when I bought the platinum DVD. It really is a visually amazing film, and it has a great story. I still like it a lot.

The Lion King ruled my life back in kindergarten, and it remains one of my favorite films to this day. Disney's best for sure.

And I got to see the musical when it came to TPAC last year. Awesome show.

I saw The Lion King only once in the theater back in 1994 (I was 8) and I wanted to see it again but my parents wouldn't take me. However, in 1995 when the VHS came out, I was hooked and would watch the movie every day for the next three years. In 1998, I just sort of stopped watching. In 2002 at the age of 16, I pulled out my old Lion King VHS and watched it for the first time in four years and I fell in love again. I laughed and cried; the movie was so beautiful and I realized then that I had stumbled upon gold. I bought the DVD when it came out and then gave my old VHS tape to my cousins so that hopefully they can grow up on the movie as well. It's been a while since I watched the movie, so maybe I should.

boxers, briefs, or... kimpantaloons's Avatar

those little "mistakes" were hilarious for me as a kid. I remember finding the sex in lion king. then i listened long and hard for "take of your clothes" in aladdin. then finally when i finally bought the little mermaid i looked for the preacher's penis.

anybody else know of any other "secrets?"

Apparently, there's a nude woman (though some think it's just a mannequin) in one of the windows in The Rescuers.

Junior Camper

Lion King was great. I never knew about the whole Kimba the Lion thing though, interesting.
    "That's rediculious, how could I even get all 5 necessary drops into her cereal.... what?"

It's funny how I sometimes criticize Family Guy for being a ripoff of The Simpsons when The Lion King is an even more blatant ripoff of Jungle Emperor Leo/Kimba the White Lion. The thing is, The Lion King is an improvement over Leo/Kimba! I don't like the fact that Disney has been trying to cover up the fact that they drew inspiration from another cartoon (I mean, most of their movies are based on fairy tales anyway, so it's not that big a deal, but fucking give credit to Osamu Tezuka!), but Family Guy is inferior to The Simpsons in addition to being a ripoff yet many people think that it's somehow better! But anyway, I respect The Lion King as the work of art it is even if the creators were low enough to rip off of somebody else's work and not give credit.

boxers, briefs, or... kimpantaloons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Jay
    Apparently, there's a nude woman (though some think it's just a mannequin) in one of the windows in The Rescuers.
    http://snopes.com/disney/films/rescuers.asp

i like the movie, but there are disney movies i like a way more. Aladdin or Beauty and The Beast for example.

The emperors new groove was really great too

Junior Camper

While one of Disney's most finanially successful movies, I never felt this one was one of their best, though it's probably among the top 10 Walt Disney pictures and many lesser films released since then has helped keep its position secure. While the film has many superb scenes, the film itself wasn't entirely engaging. While the tone of the film makes this one of the more serious Disney films, I generally found Scar to be a more memorable character than Simba, who seemed fairly bland in a lot of the movie. I also agree with the above poster than Simba and Nala's romantic chemistry was very lacking.

What I found consistently excellent however, was the visual spectacle of the film, using a wide variety of color palletes and visual styles to fit various moods throughout the film. Everything looks very fluid and visually dazzling. The art direction was top notch.

I thought Simba's character development was done rather nicely. Mufasa's death was a very real and disturbing scene (for a G-rated movie, anyway) not known in a Disney movie since Bambi. Scar was indeed a great villain, all the voice work was masterful, the soundtrack is beautiful. I do consider this to be one of Disney's best films if not their very best.

Thread Information