Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: DCAU Discussion Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I love the 'Teen Titans'; I just never think of it when discussing the DCAU, because it isn't in continuity. I just got the third season and I swear, it's fight scenes alone make it worthy of Justice League quality.

Blog Entries

Yeah Teen Titans has some really stand out episodes, especially all the Terra stuff, and I like this one Raven multiparter where they go to Hell (or someplace similar..)

-Jordan

Teen Titans' best is 'X' and 'Haunted'. The former features some of the most amazing fight sequences I've seen in any show, and the second is masterful on every level, not to mention the Dick Grayson references (the oath by candlelight in the cave wasn't even referenced in the Timm-verse; it's so awesome that 'Teen Titans' referenced it).

On an unrelated matter, 'Justice League''s first season has the worst animation of any DCAU show; it makes so many of the episodes unwatchable that I had to stop the DCAU marathon I was having. The only episode of season one that is truly outstanding is 'Legends', which I'd rank in my top five JL/JLU episodes easily.

The animation in the first season of Justice Legue wasn't that bad. It was still watchable for me. Some of my personal favorites are in season one like The Enemy Below and War World. Though there were some episodes that could have been done better.
    Sorry for spelling and grammer

I thought 'War World' was dreadful. It's considered by most to be JL's worst episode ever. And I really think it's that bad. Every single DCAU beforehand, mostly due to the hand-drawn animation, had fluid movements, realistic facial expressions, inventive shading, and touches that made the animation feel lively. JL's first season had none of that. It stuck to the character designs like glue to the point where there was a lack of any inventive or creative facial expressions or poses, the fights are embarrassing in that the impact in the blows is pretty nonexistent (compare any fight in that season to Superman's battle with Metallo in 'Action Figures'; in JL someone gets punched and they fall backward and that's all, but in S:TAS, Superman punches with an awesome POV shot with excellent timing and the impact is deafening as Metallo's head just flies backward and his helmet flies off instantly). The shading is pretty by-the-numbers and the artwork is much less detailed and more 2-dimensional than I'd like from a Timm-verse show. It's just so strange that a decade after the Timm-verse starts, the animation quality declines. It wasn't until JLU that the animation got really good (JL's second season was only good artistically; the backgrounds are far more textural, there's a bit more detail in the movements, but there are still a bunch of flaws from season one that are still present).

Has the mark of Cain Dr. Horrible's Avatar

oh man haunted is one of my absolute favorite stand alone episodes....the lighting is so supremely good it's unreal

the terra arc and the raven/trigon arc were also quite well done

I thought the Terra arc was incredible up to the finale. Oh wait, now I'm not really a traitor because Slade's hurting me and now here's some cliched gibberish about moral choice and the like, and now Terra's a hero and the impact of her betrayal is almost completely gone. I stopped watching the show during the Raven arc, not because I thought it was bad, but because I just stopped watching cartoons in general around that time. I can't wait to see it when I get the DVD.

Blog Entries

Ahhhh the first season of JL. What do we do with you?

I'm almost done showing my friend the first season of JL. I made him skip it at first, and showed him the best of the 2nd season and most of JLU.

Wow are these episodes flawed. They are not of poor quality, or offensive, but they are very very flawed. War World doesn't make sense but I don't think it's as bad as others. I remembered liking Metamorpho until I showed it to my friend, and all we could do is point out all the plot holes, awkward moments, and things that just make NO sense.

Legends is amazing though, it's of second season JL quality.

The worst is how Superman looks. I hate his face and my friend can't shake how bad and ugly he is. His cheekbones and squinty eyes, he just looks like a mannequin...a diseased, dying, mannequin. Not to mention the famous Superman "AURRRGHGHH!!!" which seems to begin every episode of JL. It is absolutely unfathomable all the ways Superman gets beaten in these episodes. Every time he screams we can't stop laughing.

-Jordan

War World wasn't that bad. Sure it had some flaws, but at the end of the day, I still enjoy them. Though it is a personal favorite of mine, it wouldn't be on my top twenty list.

We all know how great the DCAU is, lets name some of it's darkest (worst) moments. They could also be things that were so stupid, that howeled in laughter of how bad it was. Here are some things of those moments in the DCAU that made me laugh and cringe.

1. In I got Batman in my Basement, when the Penguin says "I'll clip your wings you flying rodent!". He then pulls out his tiny swoard. The terrible over dramatic music in the background made me cringe. Also the crappy swoard fight with Batman and the Penguin added fuel to the fire.

2. In the Patriot Act, the dumb monster that General Wade Eiling becomes which is sadly supposed to be the Shaggy Man a.k.a the General. I think the model designers, Bruce Timm, and the animaters could have done a much better and scraier design for the monster that he becomes. When that monster first jumped in the middle of the screen, I howeled in laughter of how horrible and poorly designed the thing looked. I laughed even more that the monster still talked like how Eiling normaly talks on the show.

3. This may not be included as apart of the DCAU,but in Superman: Brainiac Attacks, the Brainiac and Superman fight with laser coming down was down right stupid. I laughed hard at how Brainiac laughed and the Lex Luther's awful popcorn line.
    Last edited by Sideshow Jessica; 09-11-2007 at 07:33 PM.

Junior Camper

I love Teen Titans too. Sometimes the writing is George Lucas quality, but it's really lively, energetic, and charasmatic. Be wary of the fifth season, though. They went in a different direction and introduced waaaaayy too many new characters.. Personally, I didn't like the change, but it was still watchable.

The worst DCAU episodes besides BTAS/TNBA? Hmmm.... I remember this really awful Superman episode Unity. Patriot Act was also pretty lame.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Jessica

3. This may be included as apart of the DCAU,but in Superman: Brainiac Attacks, the Brainiac and Superman fight with laser coming down was down right stupid. I laughed hard at how Brainiac laughed and the Lex Luther's awful popcorn line.

This is just NOT Timm DCAU. It's the same designs but it was said it's not supposed to be in continuity, and it's generally thought of as outside the Timmverse. It's all a big sad mess.

Jordan

Worst moment comes from 'Cat Scratch Fever':

Batman (checking Catwoman's temperature): You're hot!

Catwoman: About time you noticed.

Terrible terrible terrible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenDonut
    Worst moment comes from 'Cat Scratch Fever':

Batman (checking Catwoman's temperature): You're hot!

Catwoman: About time you noticed.

Terrible terrible terrible.

I love that!!!

-Jordan

Damn... and it took Batman how long to finally get wit dat?

Which character, if any, do you feel the DCAU captured even better than their comics counterparts ?

My primary three picks are the three big villains : Luthor, Joker and Darkseid. The DCAU captures all aspects of the characters personas that have existed since their creation and the DCAU versions possess just the right amount of balance while the comics versions, depending on their eras, tends to ignore one aspect and overfocus on the other.

Darkseid should not be a surprise as frankly, the comics version has never delivered according to reputation while the DCAU version has done things badass enough to cement his position as the numero uno threat to the universe.
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, the Female Furies, and Aquaman were bad characters or just weren't popular before the DCAU. Now, I really enjoy those characters especially Two-Face and the Female Furies.

Blog Entries

Batman. Honestly, it's the perfect version of Batman.

Mr. Freeze, Toyman was really creepy and cool...

Honestly everyone was so perfect, the question would be what DIDN'T they get right!

-Jordan

Mr. Freeze is the most obvious choice. They turned him from a pointless guy with a freezing gimmick into a tragic, sympathetic character. I emphasized this point heavily during a high school presentation when I used "Heart of Ice" as an example in discussing the elements of storytelling.

But every character was in perfect form, if you ask me.

Which comic book storylines would have made great DCAU episodes.
    Our Worlds at War and Emperor Joker would have made great episodes on Justice League Unlimted. Also if Spider-Man was a D.C charater, Ultimate Six would have made a kick ass Justice League episode. Just replace Nick Fury with Amanda Waller and the Avengers with the Justice League. The Six would have included Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Venom, Sandman, Vulture, and Electro.
    Last edited by Sideshow Jessica; 09-07-2007 at 07:13 PM.

I know it would have been a bit much for a Justice League/STAS episode, but 'Superman: Red Son' would have been awesome if adapted for the Timm-verse. There's also a ton of Alan Moore stuff besides 'For the Man Who Has Everything' that would have been awesome ('The Killing Joke' anyone?).

The Killing Joke is too dark to adapt into the DCAU.
    Last edited by Sideshow Jessica; 10-23-2007 at 05:22 PM.

Yeah, but Bruce Timm could still do something with it; since he's now producing PG-13 movies, I'm sure an R-rated 'Killing Joke' isn't too much to ask.

Plus, there's also 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow' (though it'd obviously have to have been a what-if? story) and 'Mortal Clay', which was an awesome single-issue comic in which Clay-Face fell in love with a mannequin. Though it's not the Matt Hagen Clay-Face, I think they could have made it work.

What did you think of the storylines I suggested?

Personally I haven't read either of them, but I did read Ultimate Six, which, though not DCAU material, would do great in a Spider-Man cartoon (they're in the process of producing one right now and it's planned to air next year; can't wait). Doesn't Emperor Joker involve Mr. Mxyzptlk in some way?

Yes, it does involve Mr. Mxyzptlk. It's when Joker steals his powers and makes the world in his own image. Back to Ultimate Six, Ultimate Six did have a feel to a JLU episode and not of a Spider-Man cartoon. The orginal orgin of the Sinister Six would work better for a Spider-Man cartoon. But you got to admit that a Justice League vs. Sinister Six fight would awesome! Here's how it would go
    Wonder Woman vs. Doc Ock
    Hawkgirl vs. Vulture
    Batman vs. Venom
    Orion and Green Latern vs. Sandman
    Static Shock vs. Electro
    Batgirl and Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin (costumed)
    Batgirl, Superman, and Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin enhanced with extra Oz.
    Last edited by Sideshow Jessica; 09-11-2007 at 07:35 PM.

What do you DCAu fans think of Gotham Girls?

Blog Entries

Honestly I'd love to see the last run of Batman Adventures adapted by Bruce Timm. It was brilliant and everything about it was perfect. I kept wishing it was "canon" so it could be real stories in the Timm-verse...

I recommend tracking these issues down to anybody that hasn't read them. I believe there's 17. It was cancelled before they finished their major story arc..

-Jordan

I like it ONLY for the fight scenes, although apparently the fourth season is supposed to be quite well-written and it's the one season I haven't seen many episodes from. And the Justice League is actually looking pretty cool.

Blog Entries

The 4th season of The Batman impressed me, with some plots and ideas more risky and creative than a lot of stuff in B:TAS. I still don't like the animation or design style in the show, and a lot of cliches are still used, in dialogue and in plot. I think it's grown into a pretty good Batman series.

I really like the whole Clayface arc, and the time villain (voiced by Dave Foley) episode was great. I hate the penguin in that show deeply. Very deeply.

-Jordan

Thread Information