View Poll Results: RATE AND REVIEW THE SIMPSONS MOVIE!!

Voters
1037. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 STARS - WOO-HOO! Completely worth the 18 year wait!

333 32.11%
  • 4.5 STARS - Fantastic

203 19.58%
  • 4 STARS - Excellent

173 16.68%
  • 3.5 STARS - Really good

95 9.16%
  • 3 STARS - It was pretty good, but could have been better

123 11.86%
  • 2.5 STARS - Hmmm... good, I guess

35 3.38%
  • 2 STARS - Meh, I dunno, not entirely what I wanted

26 2.51%
  • 1.5 STARS - Not too good

13 1.25%
  • 1 STAR - Groan, that was pretty bad

12 1.16%
  • 0.5 STARS - Not worth the wait at all, wish it was never made

8 0.77%
  • 0 STARS - The worst moment in Simpsons history

16 1.54%
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: THE SIMPSONS MOVIE

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

All I can say is one thing...

Hello,

I've seen all the Simpsons. Hell, I've seen everything from Beavis and Butthead, King of the Hill, Futurama, Family Guy, The Critic, South Park, and so on. I've love animated comedy. I still can't find any better humor than season 4 of the Simpsons. That being said, the movie was great. Now for the one thing I can say...

I want to see it again. I actually want to see it a few times in a row just to comprehend the insanely well-thought out jokes that fly right past you. Everything was touched on. The full range of comedy was there and there was nary a fart joke in sight. Thank god! I love art that doesn't have to appeal to the lowest common denominator to get laughs (Family Guy, I'm looking you're way). Great movie. First thing I've seen in years (probably since Dumb and Dumber--fart jokes to the supreme) that I'd actually watch again. Of course, I'm looking forward to the new Futurama movies and still waiting for anything from South Park.

Overall, it hit everybody. The kids liked it and I personally loved the political jokes about our ignorant leaders (W) that blindly accept whatever a lackie throws in front of him. Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Binky
    Saw the movie yesterday and absolutely loved everything about it. My only complaint is that it felt too short and some of the secondary characters could've had more screen time if they had made it a little longer. I won't rate it until I see it a second time next weekend though.
    We thought just a mere 15 extra minutes may have helped it a lot. Its easy to want more, especially when it comes to the supporting cast. But then I kind of feel bad thinking that too because you know how animation is. They didn't finish this that long before the release even.

You know this would have been a pretty decent ending to the Simpsons as a whole. It just seems like such a...permanent ordeal. Homer finally gets it rammed into his head that he's not the center of the universe, Lisa finds a boy buddy, the whole town has to be rebuilt, finally making it across the Gorge, Burns is robbed of everything, and even the town in general I'd like to think after taking the worst pulverization its ever gotten (in the "main" series anyways), being that close to destruction, and actually paying for a mistake pretty badly kind of makes everything seem so final. Like one big book end to the show. I know next season is supposed to make a reference to the movie so I guess thats out the window, but still it feels like a finale.

Maybe for many casual watchers who don't watch too much of the show anymore it may very well be in a way, unless there's another one.
    Last edited by Kiyosuki; 07-29-2007 at 02:55 PM.

The Movie was a fantastic movie! It was very funny and the jokes and gags were placed perfectly. What suprised me the most was how much the script was like a normal episode of the Simpsons. From the very begining of the opening sequence with Homer at the theatre to the very end of the credits where squeeky voiced teen makes the last comment it was entertaining. Unlike most movies made based off of a TV series this one was not a let down. The only problem I had was it didnt look like a simpsons episode, I think the made it too flashy with some of the 3D moments. However this might not be a problem to anyone else. A fantastic movie. Thats probably why it grossed over 70 million close to 80 million USD this weekend

Why Can't We Be Friends? The Southern Dandy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyosuki
    Burns is robbed of everything
    Wow, I just realized the implied ramifications of this and what a big deal it is. That's a pretty significant development for something that took place over the credits and could have been missed by a lot of people watching the movie. I never thought about how important this throwaway scene could end up being. I wonder if Mr. Burns will be in an empty mansion or worse when season 19 starts.
    10 Favourites

Uhhh....I'll be back! Pruh-Probably.

Blog Entries

^It's just a joke, man...
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Yeah, Its like most things in the show. You gotta take it half seriously. I was just using it as an example of how the whole thing feels kind of final.

In some video interview, Matt talked about "different takes" on the Simpsons world, and it got kind of crazy. Talk about different dimensions and stuff, like how the Treehouse of Horrors are or how the Future episodes arn't one timeline but just lots of possibilities, maybe its the same with all sorts of stuff in the show and even this movie. A neverending series of alternate universes is what keeps it at a sort of odd status quo.

Yes I'm looking too much into it. lol But you have to admit its a fun thought.

great!

one of the best movies I've seen all year! my favourite parts are:

Marge's video
    Homer, Bart and the gorge
    An Irritating Truth
    spider pig
    and "sequel"

Spite the overly wacky plot, I loved this movie. There was great humor, satire, and some of the best voice acting in the shows history imo. Hope to maybe go watch it again. (5/5)

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

I think Grissom's is possibly the review I agree with most. It's a great review.

After seeing it a second time, I wasn't quite as blown away by it (the crowd this time wasn't that good), but I noticed several more parts that are to go with my other favorites including the Spider pig song during the epiphany, the panicky man ("pta has disbanded!" guy) deciding to go in or out, and Cargill's line "Look, I'm a man on a big TV, just listen!"

I think after a second time, I'm not thinking quite as highly of the movie (the first time might have been partly because of the crowd), but I still think it deserves the 4.5/5 I gave it.

Why Can't We Be Friends? The Southern Dandy's Avatar

So everyone is assuming the Burns mansion being raided is going to be one of those occurences the show forgets about with no explanation?

Maybe, probably even.

I wonder if its the last we've seen of Dr. Nick though. Probably not, but you never know.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Southern Dandy
    So everyone is assuming the Burns mansion being raided is going to be one of those occurences the show forgets about with no explanation?
    Meh, he'd probably just find some way to get everything back anyway. I guess it's more something like you have to take it with a grain of salt and come up with your own fitting explanation for what happened (like Homer getting back to Springfield so quickly).

Saw it for the second time, it didn't necessarily look to me like Dr. Nick died - just passed out from sheer pain and what not. That's what I'm hoping for... I don't want Dr. Nick to die. That would turn the ending a little sour.

And yeah... Seeing it the second time doesn't make it look quite as amazing. It was still great though, and this time I took the opportunity to pay more attention to background details. That and most of the emotional scenes hit me even harder this time, and I still found it pretty funny... so it still stands up. Which is great to know.

Crosspost:

Solid 3/5 I think because anything in the 2s and below makes me automatically think "steaming pile of shit" which it is not, so I'll refrain from that number now. Nor is it a freaking 5/5 in any way shape or form unless you're very easy. It's better than any episode in the past 7 seasons I have sat down to fully watch, though nothing was mindblowingly hilarious that makes me think of anything from the classic era.

Animation was sweet, Midge was sweet. Boob Lady was so eh but I enjoyed the dramatic singing of SPIDERPIG. Lisa, um, I nearly forgot she was even in this movie along with Bono's not-son. Bart-Flanders bonding was a bit touching and I liked when Flanders said Rod or Todd had the devil's curly hair. Also liked Bart's auto-choke pose when he does something wrong. Homer gets hurt too much but like usual comes back to make me feel for him in the end until he goes right back into mindless dumb Homer stuff. Grandpa yelling that the crazy old man in the church was right got a chuckle from me. Oh, I like the POV of Bart poking out mutated eyes. And again, very much liked Homer's expression and movement while flipping everyone off while slowly sinking. The recycled show plots are quite obvious but even so it didn't bother me as much as it could have, though I would've liked a little more creativity.

Some of the jokes, definitely cringeworthy (code black, dude getting squished by dome, rock and a hard place, didn't quite care for Wolfcastle in office, Tom Hanks was just like "hmm," Dr. Nick at the end was just random and not that funny). The rest at least illicited a slight hint of a smirk or a small chuckle. Nothing at all did happen quite a lot, but I don't really look at that as a negative point. Just me not giving a crud. Nothing made me bust out laughing. But nothing made me think "jesus what a waste of time."

Overall the first half was much more entertaining than the second which dragged a bit and I have a hard time even remembering anything interesting that happened outside of the climax and the awesome scene with Marge's video tape. THAT was something that made me remember the emotional eps of early seasons, but it was still pretty brief.

I'm not going to rush out to see this again, I don't feel the need. I will buy the DVD in the future most likely. Watch it if you can/feel like it, chances of you wanting to gouge your eyes out or rip your ears off is not very high, I would say. It's really a very mediocre film, I don't feel extremely one way or the other for it but I was entertained while watching and overall content with how it turned out. Doubt I will be racing to watch a new episode of the show itself, however.

Oh yeah and I think I really would've disliked this movie if I had to watch it with anybody else other than close friends. When it comes to comedy stuff, I find other peoples' laughing obnoxious and it oddly enough takes me out of the experience more than it immerses me. Also as far as length goes, I was content. I didn't think it needed any more added to it.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

could give a flying fuck skittlebrau's Avatar

Also a crosspost, just because both sides of the spectrum should view:

I just got done watching this and I must say I am pleasantly surprised. Not so much so that I would give it a perfect 5/5 A+++ "This should win best animated feature!", nor would I ever give it an F 0/5 "HORRIBLE! And you people are, too for watching it", but I would definitely rate it somewhere in between a 3/5 or a 4/5 (obviously a 3.5/5, durrr). However, I don't like using decimals when it comes to rating stuff because a good solid number is much better and plainly more sane, so a good 3/5 from me. Why?

I was reminded of the so-called "renaissance" the show experienced near the end of season 12 which lasted through to season 15 (please do not rebut this for it is merely my own observation of my watching habits toward the show), and it makes me think back to when I really enjoyed it. That's when a few jokes here and there just hit me like a sack of shit, and I was instantly reminded of why I just stopped watching regularly at some point. Regardless of this, there were at least a couple of "classic era" moments that shone through (mainly Marge's video recording. So undeniably, but [word I can't think of] sweet). So you've got quite a few terrible gags, quite a bit of the period humor and pace at which point I signed up here, and one or two classic moments. Put it all together and it balances out to a decent and good movie.

The pacing of the movie was really off, I must admit. Everything went well until "THE SIMPSONS ARE GOING TO ALASKA!" at which point (and this is weird) it kinda throws me off. It seemed like they go to Alaska almost straight away, and in that swiftness, it also seemed like they were right back in Springfield getting rid of the bomb. Even with that complaint, it still seemed like they were in Alaska an awfully long time. Crazy, huh?

The jokes were decent. I can say that a few jokes made me laugh, but none really made me LOL. The rest were mainly chuckles and smiles. I'm in agreement with what was funny and what wasn't with most people that listed theirs, so I'm not gonna repeat what's already been said. That, and I'm ridiculously lazy and don't wanna type anymore.

All in all, it was a good time to remember something that's been entertaining the world for 18 years (and at certain points in my life gave me the pleasure to laugh), even if most of us old-timers agree that it's been more like 10-12 or so. I would definitely buy this on DVD, that's for sure.
    yep.

Quote Originally Posted by skittlebrau
    All in all, it was a good time to remember something that's been entertaining the world for 18 years (and at certain points in my life gave me the pleasure to laugh), even if most of us old-timers agree that it's been more like 10-12 or so. I would definitely buy this on DVD, that's for sure.
    Yeah, and another thing to consider too is that this isn't really trying to be like a particular season. I tried to go in with as clear a head as possible, I didn't want to compare it to anything but rather look at it in the broadest sense. I think thats the best way to see it. Its a big mishmash of all the qualities of the entire show in general.

You got some real sincere emotional stuff and even trippy character stuff from the earlier seasons and bits of the rest of the classics, some fluffier humor from later seasons, a little bit of craziness from those middle seasons (Like Homer and his reflection for instance.), a certain kind of out the left field humor and sly dialogue you'd see in a season 5-7 episode. Just a big mix of everything.

There's still some things that maybe could have made the movie better if done differently, and those who want something exactly like some older episode or nothing at all of course won't be swayed even if there is some classic stuff in there, but thinking about it for the most part it was a good thing to do for the film at this point.

Junior Camper

In some video interview, Matt talked about "different takes" on the Simpsons world, and it got kind of crazy. Talk about different dimensions and stuff, like how the Treehouse of Horrors are or how the Future episodes arn't one timeline but just lots of possibilities, maybe its the same with all sorts of stuff in the show and even this movie. A neverending series of alternate universes is what keeps it at a sort of odd status quo.
    That makes sense. Comics go it all the time. Remember the awesome legends of the Dark Knight series? That was some cool shit.
    "There's nothing worse than some idiot telling you how funny a joke is before you get a chance to see it in its natural habitat."

Quote Originally Posted by bobservo

But, as I said before, this movie is not for me. And if you’re a Simpsons fan, it’s not for you, either.
    In the end, there’s just one thing to say about The Simpsons Movie: Boo-Urns.
    And if you understand what that means, then God bless you.
    1/5
    Your ignorance is only surpassed by your arrogance.

I am a massive Simpsons obsessive and trust me, knowing what Boo-urns means does not a Simpsons fan make. Knowing each and every one of Homer's life long dreams, which episodes Bill & Marty make appearances in, or memorizing the words to every Simpsons song over the last 20 years, that's how you can tell a Simpsons fan.

As a Simpsons fan, I rate this movie at least a 4.9/5, just because nothing is ever perfect, although some things come real close.

Highlights: Suicidal bomb disarming robot, Fat Tony, bar/church, CBG recording Grampa with his cell phone, man getting crushed by dome, Flander's cocoa, Dr. Nick...F' it, basically the whole movie.

Shiny Happy Fits Of Rage Whip-Smart's Avatar

The movie surpassed my expectations. I didn’t stop laughing all the way through my only disappointment was the lack of secondary characters that makes the show so rich, but I still really enjoyed it so I gave it 4.5.
    1: B+ 2: A 3: A 4: A+ 5: A+ 6: A+ 7: A+ 8: A 9: A- 10: C+ 11: B- 12: B 13: B 14: C- 15: D 16: D- 17: D+ 18: C 19: C+ 20: B-
    Homer the Whopper: D / Bart Gets a "Z": C / The Great Wife Hope: C- / Treehouse of Horror XX: B The Devil Wears Nada: D- / Pranks and Greens: C+ / Rednecks and Broomsticks: C+ / Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B-/ Thursdays with Abie: C / Once Upon a Time in Springfield: D / Million Dollar Maybe: D / Boy Meets Curl: D+ / The Color Yellow: D / Postcards from the Wedge: C / Stealing First Base: D / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed: C / American History X-cellent: C / Chief of Hearts: C+ / The Squirt and the Whale: D / Surveil With Love C-

Overall, I thought that the movie was very good. The plot moved along quickly and there were plenty of jokes throughout, but what struck me most was the animation, it was simply amazing. The shadows were great, providing much more depth then series has and the backgrounds were more complex, yet still within the show's universe. The characterization was spot on, and I'm glad that the writers decided to focus on the family rather than secondary characters, although Burns and Apu were short changed. It wasn't as good as I had hoped, but it was about as good as I expected. 4.5

My favorite joke was Ralph complaining about the blowback from the bubbles.

i can't understand how anyone can rate this lower than a 4,honestly.critics like that guy from empire are either predisposed towards hating it or have got to be more drunk than bart on fathers day.i mean, the movie is a masterpiece.the movie is an epic episode, so what? instead of the five minute irrelevant intro that works into the main story, you got fifteen minutes of whackiness.at no point did the movie feel stretched in any way. i loved the deliberate references to past episodes, a homage to the simpsons by the simpsons.several things in the background hinted this, the fox getting kicked by the polar bear ,the ambulance after the canyon jump both callbacks to el viaje and bart the daredevil.those were meant for simpsons fans, not lack of creativity by perhaps the most creative writing group ever assembled.

the movie could have been funnier..ofcourse, but then it would lack the substance that it currently has. dealing with the family problems, the emo simpsons material if you will, along with the gravity of the doomsday idea have given the movie a depth which will make for great repeat viewings.i don't know if a better doomsday idea could've been done, but giant dome worked for me.i'm really glad they just did the two cameos of greenday and tom hanks, both were excellent,unlike the london episode where the unending stream of cameos sent shudders down my spine and made my udders untwine.

all and all, the movie blended satire,simpsons wit and emotional string plucking to near perfection, i don't think a better job would be humanly possible given the constraints.if somethig stinks, i'd just say it.the 400th episode stank, was way below expectation for me, could've been so much more.the overall quality of the series is lower, with the exception of the 16th season which was great.but the movie really is a classic that richly rewards die hard fans.this really turned out to be a classic instead of just a great movie. 6/5.

p.s. meet me under the statue of jebediah springfield with your respective disrespectful pitchforks to get that empire guy.

Yeah Um I'm Ah Wondering! Jimbo77's Avatar

3/5 Pretty Good but could have been alot better

Burns will still be rich and somehow the Simpsons will probably have all of their posessions back despite their home being wrecked and then rebuilt. Home videos, family portraits, photos, and furniture- it'll all be back. They either won't explain it at all, or there'll be some crazy reasoning. I'd prefer no explanation to some wacky one though.
    Last edited by You See How You Scum; 07-30-2007 at 10:11 AM.

So.. Chinese or Japanese? Swartzweldian's Avatar

2.5/5

Still..Better than I expected.

Alot of visual stuff that will not work on the small screen. I think it would be insanely boring on the TV screen.

Pros:

Flanders was excellent

Cons:

STUPID jokes - Maggie through the whole movie..ugh..couldnt stop cringing..Rock and hard place, alot of stuff.

Also - using Arnold instead of Ranier Wolfcastle. That was pointless and an attempt of showing how dumb they think their audience must be. Same with Hank Scorpio #2. Why didnt they just have him play as Hank Scorpio? That would have been excellent! Could have had Ranier as president and Scorpio with the EPA or vice versa.

On vacation right now so I cant read alot of the other reviews or go in further detail..
    Last edited by Swartzweldian; 07-30-2007 at 10:53 AM.
    "Socialism is inseparably interwoven with totalitarianism and the object worship of the state. It will prescribe for every one where they are to work, what they are to work at, where they may go and what they may say. Socialism is an attack on the right to breathe freely. No socialist system can be established without a political police. They would have to fall back on some form of Gestapo, no doubt very humanely directed in the first instance."
    -Winston Churchill

^ when you return from vacation can you explain what you didn't like about Maggie in the movie?

has a smack of ham to him. kid_presentable's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swartzweldian
    Also - using Arnold instead of Ranier Wolfcastle. That was pointless and an attempt of showing how dumb they think their audience must be. Same with Hank Scorpio #2. Why didnt they just have him play as Hank Scorpio? That would have been excellent! Could have had Ranier as president and Scorpio with the EPA or vice versa.

On vacation right now so I cant read alot of the other reviews or go in further detail..

Because the movie interacts with the continuity of the show. If Ranier Wolfcastle is president, he won't be hanging around Springfield will he?

Also, why would Hank Scorpio an international supervillian/terrorist be appointed head of the EPA? That wouldn't work.

Choke on your lies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by You See How You Scum
    ^ when you return from vacation can you explain what you didn't like about Maggie in the movie?
    Her with the bottle during the mob scene.

I think I had seen that in a preview as well.

Ugh..It's just plain stupid to see a 1 year old doing that. Then her jumping in the hole.

Later on..Pushing the rock on Hank Scorpio #2(as I call him) That was for any morons in the crowd. No question.

I honestly think I'd need to watch it again at home to give it a more fair rating. Definitely still a 2-3/5.

The scene with Marge was nice.. Although, Kavner was slipping out of her voice a little. I know it was for effect, but it was weird. Really, as well done as that scene was - it was "weird" in the Simpsons. Even though they've been down the potential divorce route many times, it felt more serious this time.

Also - the dome. Did anyone else wonder why they didnt just try to dig out?? They could have atleast tried to cover that topic slightly (forgive me if they did and I missed it)

Quote Originally Posted by kid_presentable
    Because the movie interacts with the continuity of the show. If Ranier Wolfcastle is president, he won't be hanging around Springfield will he?

Also, why would Hank Scorpio an international supervillian/terrorist be appointed head of the EPA? That wouldn't work.
    Are you kidding?

With that logic - How could Arnold be President? (Not a natural born citizen)

He could have weaseled his way into power some way or another. Or he could have just been a mad man terrorist. His character wasn't explored that greatly in his one appearance.

has a smack of ham to him. kid_presentable's Avatar

Are you kidding?

With that logic - How could Arnold be President? (Not a natural born citizen)

He could have weaseled his way into power some way or another. Or he could have just been a mad man terrorist. His character wasn't explored that greatly in his one appearance.
    What does it add to the movie to have it be Hank Scorpio? As you say, they're basically the same person, only Cargill, as I pointed out, doesn't bring up any continuity errors.

As for Wolfcastle, it just brings up too many unnecessary complications. Is he president when we go back to the show, are the new viewers watching the movie going to know who he is? I honestly don't think it's that big a deal personally.

UR CLOTHES GIVE THEM TO ME Upgrayedd's Avatar

Also - the dome. Did anyone else wonder why they didnt just try to dig out?? They could have atleast tried to cover that topic slightly (forgive me if they did and I missed it)
    Matt_GFan brought up a good point, someone else asked the same question
    Quote Originally Posted by MattG_Fan
     You expect the same town that threw garbage at Green Day for trying to spread an environmental message is gonna think to dig under the dome? 
    And I can agree with that. And remember this?

"We'll dig our way out!"
    "No, no, dig up, stupid."

Not really the town with the mental capacity to think of that.

you need to pay closer atention to the movie ,russ cargill put guards around the dome so even if they could dig a tunnel they would be caught.

Thread Information