View Poll Results: RATE AND REVIEW THE SIMPSONS MOVIE!!

Voters
1030. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 STARS - WOO-HOO! Completely worth the 18 year wait!

331 32.14%
  • 4.5 STARS - Fantastic

201 19.51%
  • 4 STARS - Excellent

173 16.80%
  • 3.5 STARS - Really good

95 9.22%
  • 3 STARS - It was pretty good, but could have been better

121 11.75%
  • 2.5 STARS - Hmmm... good, I guess

35 3.40%
  • 2 STARS - Meh, I dunno, not entirely what I wanted

26 2.52%
  • 1.5 STARS - Not too good

13 1.26%
  • 1 STAR - Groan, that was pretty bad

12 1.17%
  • 0.5 STARS - Not worth the wait at all, wish it was never made

7 0.68%
  • 0 STARS - The worst moment in Simpsons history

16 1.55%
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: THE SIMPSONS MOVIE

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I thought the score was terrible. I really missed Alf Clausen. The only memorable music was Spider Pig - the main Simpsons theme was barely present and the surround sound was barely utilized. A shame...

Quote Originally Posted by homer5000
    I don't really think it mattered. The bits of score that were musical cues seemed similiar to Clausen's work (riffing on the main theme), and the background score by Zimmer was really good...

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

Some of the jokes were misses, but this was a very good movie. What's strange was the audience was nearly silent and hissing through a lot of it. They almost ruined it for me.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Quote Originally Posted by bobservo
    Consider me the odd man out, then.

And, if you're doubting my credibility, I have a great depth of knowledge about film and comedies. I just think people are caught up in the hype at the moment because the thing they love and have loved for years is experiencing such a big event. They really wanted to love it, and did. I really wanted to love it, and didn't. I think a few more people will migrate over to my side as we get further and further away from the movie's release date.
    When it comes to whether one likes or dislikes a movie, one's credibility means nothing. (But when it comes to technical and literary issues, one's training comes into play.) I am just curious about what about the you specifically didn't like. A 1/5 rating is saying that the movie was quite poor, and you make some strong accusations about the amount of effort put into the film by the writers, but you never really say what justified such a low rating. You make other assertions (i.e., the more fanatical fans will enjoy the movie less) but you don't explain why you feel that way (nor does it seem to be true). And, perhaps most of all, I am curious about what you are comparing the film to--there are some horrible films out there, and I struggle to comprehend how someone could clump this movie in with the worst 20% of films (1/5=20%). Finally, my only reason for bringing up the other critics' reviews is because of those reviewers' generally positive comments about the film--it makes low ratings stand out more.

Oh, the zombies...No.

I laughed throughout, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I laughed like crazy when "TO BE CONTINUED" when showed up on the screen, I was about the only one. 5/5 from me, although the lack of certain characters was disapointing in retrospect.

like kissin' a peanut

Quote Originally Posted by schwnj
    When it comes to whether one likes or dislikes a movie, one's credibility means nothing. (But when it comes to technical and literary issues, one's training comes into play.) I am just curious about what about the you specifically didn't like. A 1/5 rating is saying that the movie was quite poor, and you make some strong accusations about the amount of effort put into the film by the writers, but you never really say what justified such a low rating. You make other assertions (i.e., the more fanatical fans will enjoy the movie less) but you don't explain why you feel that way (nor does it seem to be true). And, perhaps most of all, I am curious about what you are comparing the film to--there are some horrible films out there, and I struggle to comprehend how someone could clump this movie in with the worst 20% of films (1/5=20%). Finally, my only reason for bringing up the other critics' reviews is because of those reviewers' generally positive comments about the film--it makes low ratings stand out more.
    Well, you were attacking my credibility by telling me I must not know what a good movie or good comedy is, so I decided to defend this credibility.

I think the review speaks for itself. And the 1/5 is how I feel. The movie wasn't just bad, it was also embarrassing. At the moment, I am one of the few people in the universe who hate this movie, so I understand your confusion.

I went and saw this movie as a long time disenchanted fan, hoping for something at least reminiscent of the golden years (seasons 1-8). For anyone like me, I would advise you to NOT WASTE YOUR TIME & MONEY.

The movie is about as witty and irreverant as a Chevy Chase "vacation" movie. The humor is about 80% physical, and it's that idiotic, absurd physical humor you will see on the show lately. For example, the scene with Homer and Bart on the roof, ala "Christmas Vaction". It was such a HALARIOUS scene that they call back to it at the end of the movie. Also, lot's of gratuitous kicking or whipping of animals, such as Homer whipping the dogs. Then there's also they Family Guy level "crude" humor, such as Bart's dick or "boob lady", much to the glee of every 10 year old and college kid Family Guy fan in the theatre.

As for characters staying true to form, I would say Bart looking to Flanders as a father figure was about as far off as I have every seen him portayed. I know they had to create an emotional thread through the garbage they created, but at least make it plausible.

Also, as a minor complaint, lots of unecessary sequences to create more ambitious animation, like the Bart skateboard scene and the house winding into the sink hole.

Now, I understand this is all evocative of the new style of the Simpsons, but that doesn't mean I or any other strictly 1-8 fan should expect less of a movie, written and produced by most of the people from 1-8, based on the same show!

Despite the obnoxious, mainstream, UN-Simpsons like humor of the movie, there were some good things worth mentioning. The plot of the movie was suprisingly good, something more like they might done in season 6 or 7. Personally, I've never thought that the reason the sucks now was because they ran out of plots- it's because the ran out of jokes and stretched the characters so far out the their element (and in some cases, awkwardly tried to pull them back). There were also a few good jokes, most of which were mentioned in other posts, like Wiggum eating donuts off the gun, the FOX running ad, and some off the Albert Brooks character's lines (which NOBODY in the audience laughed at).

So, I gave it the 1.5/5 rating. If you come in with expectations NO higher than the recent seasons, you won't be dissapointed. If you could enjoy a Simpsons movie where the jokes are TERRIBLE, then you might enjoy it.

wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat eddie's Avatar

ARE YOU PEOPLE FUCKING INSANE

F

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

My hypothesis: He was trying to be funny, but actually liked the movie like everyone else.

Either that, or the man was serious. If that's the case, come Eddie! Endow us with your wisdom, thought and wit!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy C
    My hypothesis: He was trying to be funny, but actually liked the movie like everyone else.

Either that, or the man was serious. If that's the case, come Eddie! Endow us with your wisdom, thought and wit!
    Don't get him started, just go the a/v Simpsons Movie thread...

EDIT: Hey, simpsonsrule!, have you listened to the soundtrack? It's quite good...
    Last edited by Ryan; 07-28-2007 at 09:46 PM.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Junior Camper

I agree with wolfbats on one plot point, when the house gets sucked into the sinkhole. That stretched the plausibility of the sinkhole, even for a cartoon, far beyond any believable terms. This was also a point that I was wondering about even from the trailer, and hoped that they would handle it in a a more creative way. In the light of every thing else that was good in the film, however, I'll let it slide. I just think it was a tad unnecessary, along with the slightly overdone "epic" tone of the film. Those aspects are where I felt they were trying a little too hard. Gag-wise there, were two gags I groaned at. Both were from the trailer, and one is only because I had seen it before so many times. That would be the sled dogs scene. The other, which I never liked from the first time I saw it, was the rock and the Hard Place gag. That one's just lame. However, once again, of all the other great things in the film, I let those slide. Overall, I loved it and can't wait to see it again. 4/5

Oh, I forgot about Homer hitting himself in the eye with the hammer. That kind of of sucked too. Especially since it got such a hard laugh. Funny that these were all trailer gags.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer5000
    Don't get him started, just go the a/v Simpsons Movie thread...
    I'm banned. Clearly, they didn't want my totally cool, unbiased attitude in their beloved thread. As Drew once said, "Att leest I kan respact 'is opppinun becuz ist unbiazed."

Pretty sad that they're not giving their reviews here though. I mean, there's going to be a whole lot of guests, new members, perhaps staff members and media looking to this site for the reviews. I can guarantee you one place they're going to go straight away, and another place that chances are they will not visit: 1. This thread. 2. The a/v thread. It's only harming the NHC in the long run.

Back on topic though (to make this post a little less transparent too I guess), my sister came home the other day from the movie and thought it was quite good. She's a bit of a disenchanted fan, hasn't watched new episodes since halfway through season 18 and she said the movie was "great, and really funny." So good news all 'round.

Stonecutter

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    ARE YOU PEOPLE FUCKING INSANE
    Please don't be rude to other members. Next time it'll be an actual warning.

Hans Moleman

It was OK. I didn't really know quite what to expect, but it certainly wasn't that. The 'Emotional' scenes didn't really work for me.

My favorite joke in the entire thing was the Wanted Poster family being arrested. That was hilarious.
    From somewhere at the back of the crowd a single voice started to sing a tune that would have enabled Paul McCartney, had he written it, to buy the world.

From Life, the Universe, and Everything by Douglas Adams

Saw it on Thursday night. Huge crowd. Alright here's what I thought, and yes its long. Come on, its me. Its organized though, and it has pictures, cause its the movie.

Alright, it was a lot of what I expected but also some things I didn't expect. I had fun, my friends and I had a good night though so that could be some of it, but I'm pretty sure for the most part it was the movie too. Generally, I thought it was a movie with multiple personality disorder humor wise. This isn't a bash, what I mean is that you can really, really see the distinctively different styles of humor from all the different writers, like the contrast I thought was really apparent. I'll explain in a sec, but generally I liked it. Could have been more, but then I could have been born with green eyes.

About the Humor

What I meant by the movie having multiple personality disorder is you know how some of the writers on this like like Shwartzwelder haven't written on the show for a while. Well there was a lot of Homer getting hurt, nonsensically which was pretty much expected, but for every Homer-has-shit-flying-his-way gag there was some pretty clever dialogue too, some very sly wit and satire as well. And even some more subtle bits of humor that were much more akin to older writing styles. The contrast between them was pretty big, one of my friends who saw it with me is a writer and he noticed too. Its like there are times where you wanna slap your face, then there are other times where its like "Yeah, this is the true Simpsons."

I think maybe they were trying to make this a movie have something for every different kind of person who watches this show, ultra casual, fans of slapstick, and some stuff for the die hard fans as well as satirical minded people. Its understandable for the movie, which is really one big homage to the show. But that may have been the movie's fault. Its a bit inconsistent because of that perhaps.

Something I can say for certain though, is those moments when it was good, my packed to the last seat theater laughed most at those. Very few in my theater laughed much at the Wrecking ball scene. I guess I got a good audience, but I think its just testament to the fact that witty dialogue, and sly humor is where the greatness of this thing is really at, not how much we can punish Homer. Its cute once in a while, but not all the time.

It was mostly really the wrecking ball and some of Homer's earlier behavior though, some of the visual jokes like the Fox advertisement were hilarious.

Characters and other crap that had to do with them.

I though the characters were all pretty well handled. The humor I talked about above was seen most in Homer, since he is the main character afterall. Sometimes he's obnoxious to the point its just...wow. Like the reflection thing against the dome? What was up with that? But then there were other times where he was more like the true Homer we all know and love(ed in some cases). I think while the plot slowed down Homer himself though got a bit better as the film went on, he became a little more the disgruntled guy and not the cartoon maniac. Lisa was pretty good, she had that great contrast of a world-concerned genius and a quirky 8 year old down pretty good here, no disgruntled old woman stuff. Bart was great in this, he definitely had that edge that made him originally. In fact I think its the best I've seen of him in quite a long time.

By far though Marge was the best surprisingly. She hasn't felt like this kind of character in a decade, even voice wise she was great. Some others I know have pointed out that in a way too, Marge is the main character of this. Its just a thought, but if you think about it Homer is really mostly along for the ride, its Marge that makes a lot of the plot resolve in the end. She's also the one that gives the film its sincerely emotional moment. She was the heart of this film, which is exactly what she should be.

As for everyone else, its bittersweet that we got so little of them but its understandable too. At least the more noteworthy characters got their 15 seconds. There was a ton of cut scenes though I noticed, most of them featuring the supporting cast. I was a bit bummed Ralph's so called "prominent" moment probably got cut, and even though they're credited Patty and Selma's scene is completely gone. But still, this is about the family so its understandable. But Bomb-robot, Frink's one scene were pretty fun, and as pictured above Martin going postal on the bullies was pretty epic. Surprisingly too, even as background characters they showed a lot of smaller little bits of personality. I kinda liked how it seemed like everyone became a little more "sincere" when the town was about to explode (Hey, Quimby was with his wife for once.) Hank Sco...Russ Cargill, was passing. He was very much Hank Scorpio but evil, well...not as likable evil as Scorpio, but well he did his thing.

The feeling, did it have it?

I think so yeah. You know speaking of sincere, someone on another board brought up something interesting. The characters become a little less cartoony and more "human" as the movie goes on, even the Springfielders in the background. In the beggining, its all about the stuff we see on episodes now, but by the end even Homer seems a little more human than usual. Its almost as if they "unjerkass-ify" Homer. In fact, if you think about it, thats exactly what it does. The kind of Homer we all hate, is actually punished and told to be a little less like that kind of character until he becomes actually pretty alright by the end. Its like the movie undoes a lot of its own habits and stereotypes as the whole point of the film. Bart actually regrets doing something stupid, the police actually try a valid effort, Flanders is a pretty good guy, and hell even President Arnold who starts out the typical celebrity parody tries to do something a little more thoughtful later.

I think more than all of them though including Homer, Marge is the biggest person to do this, which is really what gives the movie its feeling. We know her for endlessly denying of Homer's faults, and in this movie, she just flat out says to him she can't anymore. Its happened before, but not quite as apparently as this. That scene with the wedding video is really the most sincere I've seen the Simpsons do in a really, really, really long time. It genuinly surprised me. Couple that with Homer acting like he has a soul in the last part, Bart, and Springfield getting pretty messed up and the people huddling together genuinly looking pretty bummed they're about to die definitely gave it just that right kind of emotion that the Simpsons needs.

The plot

Not much to say really, it kind of was 4 episodes stuck together, and I think even the writers themselves lampooned this. But considering how much was going on in this they paced it surprisingly well. As said above the fact the movie kind of deconstructs the show's own typical atmosphere helps give it that little something that makes it feel like its a movie. Like its truly out of the ordinary even for Springfield. One thing though, is while it did work out alright I can't help but wonder if Alaska was really necessary. Even though the movie's most emotional moment and that kinda cool trippy dream happened there, I can't help but wonder if those things could have all been done in the town or somewhere close to it. It did seem a little stacked on, but as it was it at least paced it pretty good.

It was essentially a movie about how people should not be so dense. That the kind of life Homer and many other Springfielders lead shouldn't really be embraced, especially today with some big problems like the environment that we like to snuff at a lot. What really drove that home is that Springfield and Homer himself have been kinda punished for their shenannigans before but I don't think quite like this.

Visuals

Not even I have much to say about this, its a gorgeous looking movie. Even some of the 3D work was meshed pretty well into it. You can still tell sometimes, but in comparison to most attempts to mix 2D and 3D it did it very well. Everyone's models look way better and less static than in the show right now, and the wide aspect ratio was great.

Generally, what I liked and what I didn't like.

Well, I can't say enough how much they have to cut down on Homer getting hurt. And also Homer acting crazy, the typical stuff we gripe about. Although like I said, the movie kind of shed them off as it went along, but still thats what I don't like so much. I think the more obnoxious moments may distract some from the movie's actual good moments.

What I did like about this movie, is that even though it had some things we don't like about the show now, it had a subtle side to it that is the number-1 thing the show is missing. Take this for example, the infamous Bartdick. Yes, many are making a huge deal about it, and disillusioned fans are bitching about it endlessly like Matt Greoning shot them in the face...but think about it...was it that big a deal? It was a squiggly line, it probably took the animator a second or two to draw it. I've overheard someone in the theater mention that, and I thought about it too. Is that satire? Poking fun at us? Making such a huge hype fuss or whine-fest...over a curvy line. The fact we can wonder something like that, or the thing with "unjerkassifying" Homer... is the subtlety I'm talking about. Thats what made the Simpsons strong, it wasn't half the world's objects flying at Homer's head or him acting like a maniac, it was wit. Even if it had it a little bit, to me that made it worth the watch.

Its not as great as it could have been yes, but it did have a good portion of surprisingly great moments as well. This movie is probably not going to please or satisfy most who want the show to be exactly like it was in the 90's, or are just dead set on hating it. But for what it was, taking the good with the bad, I thought it was alright. Its not totally like the current show, but not totally like the old ones too. I hope the people on the show take some cues from this film's better moments.

B, I voted 3.5

Also, I guess Plopper died. It was kind of odd how he just dissapeared, and you're left to assume he went down with the house or something. Especially since he's been so hyped up, but oh well. Can't say I personally cared that much. lol Where's your precious Spiderpig now?

The part of the ending we don't see.
    Last edited by Kiyosuki; 07-29-2007 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Barney
    Mike Scully - His big fat butt could shields us all. Slight mistake in your sig. It was Bart that said that, not Marge. Plus you've put shields instead of shield. Sorry to be nitpicky but it had said to be said.
    I thought it was ass in the movie.

Oh and great review Kiyo. The picture at the end is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam R
    I thought it was ass in the movie.

Oh and great review Kiyo. The picture at the end is great.
    I don't know about you but I feel like some Bacon and Eggs right now.

Commander Coo Coo Bananas

I enjoyed the movie very much, I laughed throughout. Ralph has the best line in the movie and after he said it my Dad said "He's my hero" (kind of a inside family joke there)
    1.The Wizard of Evergreen Terrace
    2.Itchy & Scratchy Land
    3.The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson
    4.The Bart Wants What it Wants
    5.Cape Feare
    6.22 Short Films About Springfield
    7.You Only Move Twice
    8.Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner?
    9.Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment
    10.Marge vs. the Monorail

I loved this movie. I guess it helps I had low expectations because I was worried about the current seasons quality but OMG it really exceeded my expectations and it had a fun story and great jokes.
    You gotta do this one for me, Billy. McGarnagle!
    I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

Well, I really enjoyed that. Was it the defining cinematic experience of our generation, as Star Wars was to our parents' or Gone With the Wind to our grandparents'? Maybe.

My one minor complaint is that I don't think many of the supporting characters, although they were certainly seen, got enough lines. Would've expected more from Burns, Smithers, Skinner, Apu and even Moe, but then, it is The Simpsons Movie and not the Springfield Movie so point taken perhaps.
    The good stuff though, the film had plenty of - Homer's line about paying to see a film about something you could see on TV for free, unexpectedly seeing Bart's manhood...or should that be 'boyhood?', seeing the black-and-white animatic from the beginning of my Season Nine DVD in full-blown colour and stunning animation - in fact the whole movie was beautifully animated, it really oozed a cinematic quality and certainly didn't feel like it was four Simpsons episodes stuck together. The direction was nothing short of superb. How long did the animation take for this? Other bits and pieces I liked include some of those typical Simpsons' fooling with the audience jokes, particularly the "FOX advertising in movies now" rolling across the bottom of the screen, and the "TO BE CONTINUED....IMMEDIATELY." Usually I can predict a joke or the outcome of it after seeing part of it, but that one really did fool me. Also enjoyed the little bits while the credits were rolling, and naming who voiced who was a nice touch as well. The plot itself was typical of the Simpsons, very far-fetched but somehow the staff make it all seem plausible and all the more entertaining. Took twenty years for this to come. The wait was worth it. Here's to a possible sequel, perhaps in another twenty years' time.

I guess I'm a little late here, I saw it last night I and enjoyed this movie quite a bit, so here goes with my review:

It's a peculiar thing watching the Simpsons on the big screen, and it's even more peculiar trying to write a review about it. After all, while it is our favorite family up there, a movie is quite different from a TV show, but in the end, I guess all I can do is write what I can, the best I can. I thought this movie more or less accomplished everything it wanted to do, and did it well, and while this wasn't the best movie I've seen this year nor would I choose this movie over my four favorite Simpsons episodes, it's an experience that fans of all types (old, young, current, former) should seek out.

The story was fittingly epic, with the crises of extreme pollution, government corruption, and apocalyptic destruction holding plenty of tension and fear while keeping the family in the center of it all. The plot unfolded nicely as well, I enjoyed the fact that even after escaping the dome, the Simpson family and the Springfield residents took turns with their screen-time, allowing both stories to create tension and concern for the cast. It gave the movie a lot of character to have the large cast getting some good time to shine, and while it seems strange to not have a bigger role for Mr. Burns in an grand apocalyptic storyline like this one, the characters do their jobs quite well.

The cast, and particularly the Simpson family themselves are probably the strongest element of this film in the end. Not all of them get enough time to shine, but they carry this movie the way they've carried the show for all these years. Homer is portrayed very well for the most part, and despite a few too many pain gags, he gets a good number of laughs from his child-like innocence when playing with the pig, to his classic ignorant decisions like using the glue to climb the wall. A complaint I may have is that he does come across as a little too stubborn when in Alaska with his family, but it does set the stage for Marge's monologue, and he is still definitely worth cheering for in his big action sequences he gets to take part in. The rest of the family doesn't get nearly as much to do, though they all do enough with what they have. Bart's story about taking a liking to Ned might seem a little out there, but it has enough build-up and development to work very well, and his final decision to ride with Homer is truly classic Bart Simpson. Lisa pulls off her activist role in the beginning with competency and innocence without coming across as overbearing or annoying, and her relationship with Colin, while a little thin, was cute and sweet. Surprisingly, Marge may have had the best characterization of the entire family, and considering her behavior on the show as of late, that's really saying something. Her deciphering of Abe's rant was fun, and she pulled off being worrisome and full of fear quite well. I really enjoyed her talks with Homer, and it wasn't all just back-and-forth marital arguments like I feared it would be. But her best scene, and probably the best scene of the entire movie, is her video-taped message to Homer. She truly sounds defeated, fed-up, and sad in her excellently-written monologue performed very well by Julie Kavner, and it gives weight to all the scenes beforehand when Homer just wouldn't listen or respond to her. The fact that she taped the message over the wedding video that she risked her life earlier to save only adds to the emotional weight of the scene. It really says something about the characters and their power to affect us in ways beyond laughter when the most powerful scene in the movie isn't an elaborate joke or a breath-taking action sequence, but a heart-felt speech.

The rest of the cast as I mentioned have their moments as well, even if most of them are just small disposable gags, but there are some characters who get more to chew on. Ned in particular is characterized very well and is likable, helpful, and devoid of all the gratuitous right-wing Christian nut job qualities that have plagued him on the show lately. Albert Brooks also gives a very nice performance to a memorable original character. I thought he was very funny for the most part, though his "tough man, soft man" bit was a little long, and he really deserved to have a bigger conclusion or defeat in his final scene than the deus ex machina that it is.

Animation was also a huge plus here, and the CGI and pans were all terrific. I really enjoyed the direction of certain scenes like Homer's epiphany, Homer and Marge preparing to make love, Bart's skateboarding adventure, Homer's final motorcycle stunt, the angry mob scene, among others. Not surprisingly, I saw Lauren MacMullen's name in the credits at the end.

This was not a perfect movie however, as I said before there may have been a few too many jokes about Homer getting hurt (especially that wrecking ball scene), and for the most part, the political satire was a mixed bag leaning more towards misses than hits. I did like a few of the lines like "The government finally found someone it was looking for!", and the parodies of An Inconvenient Truth were okay, but stuff like President Schwarzeneggar and the Green Day concert were too blunt for me. The Tom Hanks cameo while amusing, was still pretty unnecessary. Homer's trek across Alaska alone was so rushed and small it's a wonder why they even bothered (and the boob jokes were a little raunchy too).

In the end, I'm glad I went to see this movie, and it's unlike any other Simpsons experience I've had. You won't see the best that the Simpson family has to offer, but it's still pretty darn good and solid. I give this movie 4 stars.
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Have seen it!
    Have seen it!

As I waited in line to get in with my beer among the other Simpsons freaks, hundreds of young mothers with their little children came out of Theatre 1. Some cried - I suddenly had the corpse of Potter in my mind. Oh my god, he died! Those teary children eyes. Or was it Bart's penis?

Then we got in and the movie started. The first half was GREAT!

Then it got a bit boring but that could have been because I had to pee (fuck beer!) and wanted the movie to end. But I didn't want to leave because I didn't want to miss important scenes. But then... suddenly the credits rolled and - I watched the audience - EVERYONE stood in their seats. No one left.. well, only one pair left before Maggie said the word.

The movie was really, really entertaining. As I said, the first half was absolutely GREAT. Second half was also really good, but well, my bladder. The movie felt like 40, maybe 45 minutes short.. but it was almost 90 minutes long.

Well, I'm not a good reviewer.. but at least you now know about my urgency.
    4.5 for the movie!

Junior Camper

I have ot give it a 4.5 b/c what happend to the pig, Polution and Russ Cargill? They kind of left it all open. Loved it otherwise. Also you can leave after the Simpsons leave. The Squeky voiced teen lines at the end were not worth the wait.

Kinda disappointed, but I guess my expectations were too high. After all, I've been waiting for this movie for years.
    IMO, the biggest problem was the humor, I really wanted to laugh as much as the other people in the theater, but I just didn't find most jokes funny. There was way too many pain gags, but some of them actually were funny.
    The plot, I think was rushed, it would have been much better as a 2 hour movie.
    Before i read this thread, I gave this a 3.0, but after reading some reviews, I realized how few flaws there were, (i.e. no extended gags, good characterization), and I think it deserves at least a 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by gzuf
    But then... suddenly the credits rolled and - I watched the audience - EVERYONE stood in their seats. No one left.. well, only one pair left before Maggie said the word.
    Haha, totally the opposite where I was, nearly everyone left even before the cast's names showed up. We were a total of 6 people in the entire theater who stayed long enough to hear Maggie speak. Btw, was there anything after that in the credits worth seeing? (I left after Maggie's "first" word)

Stonecutter

Saw the movie yesterday and absolutely loved everything about it. My only complaint is that it felt too short and some of the secondary characters could've had more screen time if they had made it a little longer. I won't rate it until I see it a second time next weekend though.

Quote Originally Posted by HOMR
    Haha, totally the opposite where I was, nearly everyone left even before the cast's names showed up. We were a total of 6 people in the entire theater who stayed long enough to hear Maggie speak. Btw, was there anything after that in the credits worth seeing? (I left after Maggie's "first" word)
    Hmmn.. the only funny thing after Maggie spoke was the hundreds of Korean names credited.

Good gags. Good use of guest stars (but less of them than I expected). Bart's penis was played well and made me laugh, which I did not expect. Not enough use of secondary characters. Mediocre storyline. Beautiful animation.

Enjoyed it enough to see it again at full price. Looking forward to owning it so I can freezeframe all those crowd shots at the beginning. Pretty sure I saw Hollis Hurlbutt in there somewhere.
    why am i even boarding

i should be passing out right now

this laptop has very comfortable keys

this is a sursprisingly eloquent post

Quote Originally Posted by Binky
    Saw the movie yesterday and absolutely loved everything about it. My only complaint is that it felt too short and some of the secondary characters could've had more screen time if they had made it a little longer.
    My exact thoughts. I give it a 9.5/10, rounding it up to a 5/5. The fast pacing made it seem shorter than it was.

in the middle of a hoedown eric's Avatar

your leader enjoyed the film.

- the first twenty minutes were very funny
    - the middle portion was pretty flat however with sparse gags as the plot was unfolding
    - the rest of the movie was, unexpectedly, touching. I really felt for homer, marge, and bart during some of the latter scenes... there aren't many episodes of the show that are as moving as this film is. and that's certainly a good thing.

oh, and the pig was awesome. should've gotten more screen time.

if I hafta rate it, 8/10

Quote Originally Posted by Binky
    Please don't be rude to other members. Next time it'll be an actual warning.
    People say shit like that all the time in the off topic sections. Why does it warrant a warning only here?

Anyway, I just finished my full review of the movie:
    http://www.24-7simpsons.com/content....e=movie_review

in the middle of a hoedown eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grissom
    People say shit like that all the time in the off topic sections. Why does it warrant a warning only here?
    it would've had he directed his comment toward a specific member, and I personally do warn people for flaming in the other forums. end of discussion.

Thread Information