View Poll Results: RATE AND REVIEW THE SIMPSONS MOVIE!!

Voters
1033. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 STARS - WOO-HOO! Completely worth the 18 year wait!

331 32.04%
  • 4.5 STARS - Fantastic

203 19.65%
  • 4 STARS - Excellent

173 16.75%
  • 3.5 STARS - Really good

95 9.20%
  • 3 STARS - It was pretty good, but could have been better

122 11.81%
  • 2.5 STARS - Hmmm... good, I guess

35 3.39%
  • 2 STARS - Meh, I dunno, not entirely what I wanted

26 2.52%
  • 1.5 STARS - Not too good

13 1.26%
  • 1 STAR - Groan, that was pretty bad

12 1.16%
  • 0.5 STARS - Not worth the wait at all, wish it was never made

7 0.68%
  • 0 STARS - The worst moment in Simpsons history

16 1.55%
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: THE SIMPSONS MOVIE

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Quote Originally Posted by barfly
    James L. Brooks, the only writer from the credited list of 11 with real movie experience, should receive well-deserved credit for injecting the film with an emotional element. However, his brother's contributions should not be overlooked. Albert's portrayal as the movie's villain generated some of the film's biggest laughs, and his rapid-fire delivery was again in perfect form.
    Umm they're not brothers.

thanks, not sure why I assumed that. It's now fixed.

*cough*

4.5 Fantastic.

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

It was entertaining, for what it was. Went to the theater, had some popcorn, laughed with other Simpsons fans in the audience, and had a good time. There wasn't too many embarrassing godawful jokes so characteristic of recent episodes, but they were still there ("Thank you, boob lady", Homer swingbing between the rock and Hard Place). But there weren't really any of the huge diaphragm-convulsing laughs that you'd get sometimes in the classic era. My favorite moments are the church/bar scene, the Itchy and Scratchy cartoon, the hilarious "mad with power" dialogue with Albert Brooks, Grampa's "I'm in the mob", "That's the stupidest thing I ever heard", and Marge persuading Lisa to let in her anger. In general, the jokes flowed very well with the story, and never stuck out or took too long.

Yet, for a modern Hollywood comedy, it's not anything particularly great, so I'm a bit disappointed. It's better than new episodes, but that's a given. It's not insanely quotable like Office Space, it's not as focused and tongue-in-cheek as South Park:BLU, it's not a thoughtful character-driven comedy in the same sense of Knocked Up or The 40-Year Old Virgin. The classic era could be all of this combined and more. It's a wacky slapstick adventure with pop-culture referencing (like Shrek), which is executed competently, but the movie could have been much more.

The story is my biggest complaint. It is epic and grander than a typical 20-minute episode (that's a given) but a bit unbelievable and hollow. Lisa falls in love with Luke Stetson v.2.0, which doesn't have much to do with anything. The EPA just tries to blow up Springfield, which is just really silly and ridiculous. Otherwise, there's not much depth to the whole environmental theme. Russ Cargill just wants to blow up Springfield because he really just has his heart on it, I guess. Homer comes off as a fairly despicable human being by nonchalantly allowing everyone in Springfield to die (which is pretty much his fault in the first place). It's like Homer Simpson In Kidney Trouble all over again. Cue marriage crisis plot #10672. At least eventually, he does redeem himself, but only because he has some epiphany with some boob-lady, about caring for others. The whole story of Homer's redemption falls a bit flat and doesn't seem that honest. But there are some genuinely emotional moments. The whole wedding video was really well done; I loved the callback to The Way We Was. Flanders and his relationship to Bart was very well done and rather touching. And the climactic scene is entertaining and exciting.

If you're not too concerned with the plot and characterization issues, it's otherwise a good, funny film; a very well-done Scully episode. There's slapstick, satirical jabs, references, shock value jokes, screw-the-audience gags, genuinely clever jokes, and some character-driven jokes. Most of the townspeople get one good moment, there are numerous blink-and-you-miss-it homages to actual episodes, and it's a treat to Simpsons fans.

Grade: B- 3/5

Mmmmmm Beer

I can't believe this has as many 5 star ratings as it dows...Maybe this poll is bias for being on a Simpsons forum but i could not find myself giving it all 5. I think i underrated it a lil i gave it 3 cuz i think it could have better but i guess now that i think about it i should have at least gone with a 4

I just think the whole "I'm finally at a Simpsons Movie" experience helps enhance everyone's first viewing of the movie.

Because this being a Simpsons board usually makes the reviews more critical than good.

Stonecutter

Mike Scully - His big fat butt could shields us all. Slight mistake in your sig. It was Bart that said that, not Marge. Plus you've put shields instead of shield. Sorry to be nitpicky but it had to be said.

Good review by the way. Always great to here your thoughts. And interesting to see from the essay dorks, that's now two people who give it a B-. (You and Jimbo) I now eaglely anticipate any other essay dork reviews.
    Last edited by Drunk Barney; 07-29-2007 at 08:10 AM.

Galalimit

This is what pisses me off.

If the writers are capable of making a movie this good, then why can't the show be this good? The movie was better than anything they've made in years. So I guess the writers just aren't trying as hard with the actual show.

Quote Originally Posted by Galalimit

If the writers are capable of making a movie this good, then why can't the show be this good? The movie was better than anything they've made in years. So I guess the writers just aren't trying as hard with the actual show.
    Most of the writers of the film aren't working on the Show anymore. Let's hope they return.
    Good morning! And in case I don't see ya: Good afternoon, good evening and goodnight!
    - - -

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

I really enjoyed the Simpsons movie, I think it's the best thing to come out of the series in almost 10 years. At first I was a little surprised at how little of a role most of Springfield played in the film, then I realized it's way better then to just make it a cavalcade or a clusterfuck of recurring characters that we see all the time, the story does an excellent job following the Simpsons as a family, I really enjoyed Albert Brooks' role as Russ Cargill, which I would've liked to see a little more screen time, I'd put this as my second favorite brooks character ever (second only to Hank Scorpio). The emotional aspect could've been a little stronger, but it's still way more impressive than almost anything that's come out of the Jean/Scully era.

As for Springfields beloved, the two obvious shining stars were Grampa and Flanders, who were actually pivotal characters in the storyline. I loved how Flanders was more like his classic era loving neighbor self, instead of being his current right-wing dogmatic version. I was surprisingly impressed with the size of Cletus' role (and how well it was pulled off). Wiggum was in top form as well, especially the donut/gun joke and his reaction to the bomb disarming robot. Lenny and Carl were funny as their usual selves and provided some great one-liners

If I would rate it up to the classic era, I would say it would be slightly below the quality level of season 8, slightly above the quality level of season 9. If I had to compare it to other animated movies based on TV shows, I'd put it above everything I've ever seen, with the exception of South Park: BlU. I say this because the SP movie was such an extreme parallel to what SP as a series was at that time, that it actually made SP a smarter, edgier, and much better show. With the Simpsons movie, it took us (well maybe just me) back to a much more consistent and enjoyable level of quality

I wil give it a B+/A- very good, definitely worth paying to see in theaters
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

ScratchBobItchPants G.K. Willington's Avatar

I enjoyed every minute for this. Us Simpsons fans have been waiting for the movie to come out for years in in my opinion it was well worth the wait. Some of the newer episodes (seasons 17 and 18) have been of quite a poor standard and I was worried that the movie would be poor to, but I was proved wrong! Most of it was really funny I thought it had a great plot with the dome, and a good twist. I'm also sort of glad that the Pig didn't have a massive role, I thought it looked quite dumb in the Trailer to be honest. Homer was funny but not too stupid which was good as well. My favourite thing must of been that it didn't feel like a long episode and it didn't have that 'dragging' feeling. I have absolutely no complaints about the movie at all it was excellent! I would definitely give it an A+!

Stonecutter

Interesting poll results.

95.29% of people think it was worthy of at least 3 stars.
    62.23% of people thought it was either 4.5 or 5 stars

Any chance of a public voting update?

Quote Originally Posted by bobservo
    At the moment I'm honestly surprised by the overwhelmingly positive reaction ... But, as I said before, this movie is not for me. And if you’re a Simpsons fan, it’s not for you, either ... 1/5
    You've got to be kidding, right? As someone who's watched the Simpsons from Tracy Ullman to now, watches the DVD commentaries endlessly, and spouts off Simpsons lines and allusions every few minutes, I have to say that I am a hard-core fan, and I very much enjoyed the movie. I understand the points you make in your review, but I think you overestimate the extent to which they affect the quality of the movie. In addition, with the critics overwhelmingly praising the movie, I suspect you might have a unique or obscure sense of what makes a movie "good."

Why Can't We Be Friends? The Southern Dandy's Avatar

Most of the writers of the film aren't working on the Show anymore. Let's hope they return.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebeeman92
    Keep in mind that the movie was also put together over a much longer period of time than seasons of the show are put together. I believe they've been working on this movie since 2001. If you decide that the movie is a bust if it doesn't equal or exceed the quality of the early Simpsons seasons (which I think is impossible at this point) or choose to carefully consider and be frustrated by what it lacks that has made the show special, of course the movie will disappoint you. I think bobservo probably had problems with it because he did just that. Evaluate the movie on its on own terms and you're probably more likely to enjoy it. It's not fair to compare.
    10 Favourites

Uhhh....I'll be back! Pruh-Probably.

Bad Babysitter

Do you think they will? Get the writers back? I mean, there can't be that much more left in the life of the Simpsons now. A lot of shows bring there best writers back for the last season or last few seasons (Larry David on Seinfeld for example).
    Maybe Oakley & Weinstien? Does anyone know if the old writers are working on other stuff at the present time?
    (I'm presuming Conan is pretty much a guaranteed no show for the last few series though...)
    ~SiNGiNG iS THe LoWeST FoRM oF CoMMuNiCaTioN~

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No, it's because the writers spent several years on the movie.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

Junior Camper

What I'd be curious to see now is a poll to determine attitudes toward the series among those who liked or disliked the movie. How many positive reviews came from people who've found the series unwatchable since season 9? How many negative reviews came from people who generally enjoy the Jean era? How many prefer Scully over Jean and liked the movie? How many prefer Jean over Scully and hated the movie? That sort of thing.

One thought just occured:

Wouldn't it have made more sense for Danny Elfman to compose the score for the film?

I loved the movie, but I felt like I waited 8 years to hear Maggie say sequel. All the people I was with were getting anxious.

It wasn't quite the triumphant return to classic form that I had hoped, but it certainly wasn't the train wreck I expected. For the most part, the humour felt somewhat unlike the Simpsons. For me at least, the structure felt almost like a season one episode (specifically Call of the Simpsons), with the humour coming from a season nine era episode.

I don't really feel like writing a full review at the moment, but:
    -Characterization was spot on. With Burns, even the animation looked like the Burns I like. This was almost my favourite part of the movie just because it was such a dramatic change from when I stopped watching (around season 16)

-I really didn't like the plot. I wanted the plot to be less dependent on such an unrealistic situation. That being said, they worked well within it

-I loved the animation gags. They were almost flawless - and I generally dislike pure animation driven gags.

Anyway, it was a lot better than I expected and almost enough to renew my interest in the show. Overall, I thought a 4/5
    Last edited by or_smth; 07-28-2007 at 05:39 PM.
    Marge: Homer, has the weight loss tape reduced your appetite?
    Homer: Ah, lamentably no. My gastronomic rapacity knows no satieties.

It was pretty much what I expected

I thought the movie was good. It was almost exactly what I expected -- an emphasis on story and plot rather than gags. This is what makes the movie a lot like the recent seasons rather the classic seasons.

I believe this is a movie for everyone, and not necessarily for Simpsons geeks (like me). In fact, I think someone who knows nothing about the Simpsons would probably enjoy this movie. I was baffled at the number of children in the theatre. Granted, they laughed at the slapstick gags, but it was still interesting. The best thing about the film for me was the presentation. The colours are rich and deep, and the animation is more fluid than ever. The widescreen format works surprisingly well. I knew it would be good, but not this good! The beautiful portrayal of Alaska was awesome.

But none of that is why I watch the Simpsons. Anyone, ANYONE, can come dream up a plot where a town is surrounded by a dome and it takes the local hero to save everyone. None of that is unique to the Simpsons. I watch the Simpsons mainly for the superb writing of gags and bizarre situations. If that sounds simplistic, OK. But that's why the classic seasons are classic. I don't watch the Simpsons for a fine plot with a compelling conclusion. Any movie can do that. In fact, I found that many of the gags in the movie were rather predictable.

I love the classic episode where the Comic Book Guy (one of my favourite characters) utters the line: "I have a rare photograph of Sean Connery signed by Roger Moore." To me, that is a flat-out hilarious line that could only exist in the Simpsons universe. Needless to say, there was nothing like that in the movie. Nothing. The first 15 minutes seemed like a run-through of every Simpsons cliche known to man. By the end, they even threw in Nick Riviera's "Hi, everybody!" -- but that was his only appearance. I'm not saying we needed more of him, but his ONLY appearance involved just his catchphrase. That's why I think that the uninitiated can easily enjoy this film.

If this movie would have been made ten years ago, I think it would've been a lot less ham-handed, less serious, and a lot funnier. Marge's videotape farewell to Homer was touching, but saccharine. It's the kind of situation that can exist in ANY movie. That's not what the Simpsons are about, in my opinion. Maybe they're trying to shoot for some loftier goal than just a comedy cartoon. Or maybe they fancy themselves American icons now and think that pretentiousness will go over well.

Things I did enjoy... showing Bart's wee-wee was great. Not because I needed to see it, but simply for the risk that was taken. They didn't play it completely safe. Marge's demand of, "Just throw the god damn bomb!" was a brilliant and edgy break from the sap of Homer and Bart's man-to-man. The bomb-defusing robot (and its subsequent demise) was genuinely funny. And maybe Wiggum is a character easier to make consistently humourous -- which he was in the film.

Other problems... someone else pointed out that Lisa's love is a rehash. He didn't play into the story really at all; kind of disappointing. And the environmental theme we all heard about prior to opening night fizzled too. I thought Homer got beat-up on too much in this movie. He's been the bane of Springfield's existence in the past, but this was a step further. Perhaps it was needed because of the scope of the plot. Finally, the spider pig was way overused. It's a prime example of the forced silliness that has become so commonplace in newer episodes. Perhaps it was an attempt to reach the spontaneity of the show's early years, but it ended up being mainly contrived. And isn't the pig a bit of a recycle of Mojo the monkey?

Overall, it was enjoyable, and the audience loved it. The producers probably did the best job they possibly could have. The end credits went on forever, a testament to the hundreds of people who contributed.

I'm glad to have watched it, but I have to wonder if Maggie's first word could hold any water.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rewatched it today. What I loved the first time I find merely good this time and what I disliked the first time I liked more. So in general I think I found it better, yet not entirely great.

Now that I read it, I totally agree with Mike Scully's review, especially about Homer's characterization and Russ Cargil, who is an hilarious character but his motivations are not all that clear.

The thing I enjoy the most about the movie is that you can see Mirkin was there. There's a lot of Mirkin-esque moments there and even though the result is not quite as good as the majority of the episodes he produced, I think it's sometimes not so far away from something like Joy Of Sect. All the dome plot felt very Mirkin-esque in the way the gags are handle. The very first minutes with Grandpa's revelation are the best part, no doubt. It's a very exciting and misterious way to begin the movie, and it's really funny. It seems like one of the best Jean/Reiss episodes.

So it's like the beginning of an excellent Jean/Reiss episode, followed by a decent Scully episode (the pig part and perhaps Lisa's subplot), followed by a mediocre Mirkin episode (but even mediocre Mirkin episodes are still quite good), followed by a kind of weird part that seems a mixture of decent Scully, average Jean and a not-in-so-great-form James L. Brooks (in the way that it manages to seem both natural and contrived depending of the moment) , followed by a lesser version of Misterious Voyage of Homer Simpson, followed by the ending of the mediocre Mirkin episode they presented before. I guess that's not too bad.
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 07-28-2007 at 05:10 PM.

5/5... Most impressive.

Global Moderator - All Merchandise Forums
    Datoupee's Signature... it's Da Boom !

like kissin' a peanut

Quote Originally Posted by schwnj
    I understand the points you make in your review, but I think you overestimate the extent to which they affect the quality of the movie. In addition, with the critics overwhelmingly praising the movie, I suspect you might have a unique or obscure sense of what makes a movie "good."
    Consider me the odd man out, then.

And, if you're doubting my credibility, I have a great depth of knowledge about film and comedies. I just think people are caught up in the hype at the moment because the thing they love and have loved for years is experiencing such a big event. They really wanted to love it, and did. I really wanted to love it, and didn't. I think a few more people will migrate over to my side as we get further and further away from the movie's release date.

Junior Camper

lies!

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mladen
    - Finaly, the thing that bothered me the most - vulgarity. Am I the only one who thought there were too many of those moments in the movie? I mean, the skating scene was so vulgar, that I couldn't believe I'm watching The Simpsons for a moment. Homer wanting to kiss the pig, later showing his middle finger to the people, later grabing his crotch with glued hand - THIS CRAP DOESN'T BELONG IN THE SIMPSONS. If i wanted this, I would go to watch South Park. I'm sure that those moments were Scully's ideas. And we really didn't need to see Bart's penis. That's the worst moment in the history of show, in my personal opinion.
    To me, it was kind of returning the show to its roots, referencing back to 1990 when the biggest thing in the world was The Simpsons, and the biggest critisism of it was its vulgarity. Aside from being a pretty funny visual joke, a massive 'screw-the-audience' joke, it was a good jab at what it was back in 1990. I liked it, and I think you're looking at it in a far too shallow manner.

Just back away slowly... -SonicPanther-'s Avatar

5/5 from me. 8-)

Definitely better than the newer seasons...I was worried at first that it would be four episodes stuck together with cold, tired jokes, but I was pleasantly surprised. It worked well large-scale and I haven't laughed so much at The Simpsons - or anything at all for the matter - in years. I hope I have a chance to see it again in the cinema.

Why Can't We Be Friends? The Southern Dandy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj
    One thought just occured:

Wouldn't it have made more sense for Danny Elfman to compose the score for the film?
    Not really. All he ever contributed to The Simpsons was the theme song. I kind of wish Alf Clausen could have gotten a chance to score the movie since he's done such amazing and diverse work on the show, but I speculate that he didn't get the gig because he lacks experience at movie scoring (he has only scored one movie: Half-Baked). Or maybe he was just too busy because he still scores the show and did the score for a movie coming out next year.

Blog Entries

I don't really think it mattered. The bits of score that were musical cues seemed similiar to Clausen's work (riffing on the main theme), and the background score by Zimmer was really good...
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

AllTheMuckThat'sFitToRake Lardlad!'s Avatar

It was really good, it was funny and creative. It had a good stroyline with plenty of jokes 4.5/5
    The wars of the future will not be fought on the battlefield or at sea.
    They will be fought in space, or possibly on top of a very tall
    mountain. In either case, most of the actual fighting will be done by
    small robots. And as you go forth today remember always your duty is
    clear: To build and maintain those robots. Thank you.

Thread Information