View Poll Results: RATE AND REVIEW THE SIMPSONS MOVIE!!

Voters
1030. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 STARS - WOO-HOO! Completely worth the 18 year wait!

331 32.14%
  • 4.5 STARS - Fantastic

201 19.51%
  • 4 STARS - Excellent

173 16.80%
  • 3.5 STARS - Really good

95 9.22%
  • 3 STARS - It was pretty good, but could have been better

121 11.75%
  • 2.5 STARS - Hmmm... good, I guess

35 3.40%
  • 2 STARS - Meh, I dunno, not entirely what I wanted

26 2.52%
  • 1.5 STARS - Not too good

13 1.26%
  • 1 STAR - Groan, that was pretty bad

12 1.17%
  • 0.5 STARS - Not worth the wait at all, wish it was never made

7 0.68%
  • 0 STARS - The worst moment in Simpsons history

16 1.55%
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: THE SIMPSONS MOVIE

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Am I the only one having a problem with the mutant being produced only by pig crap? I spent half movie waiting for an explanation to that. I just think SNPP should have been involved in some way. That and the absence of Spiderpig are the two things that really annoyed me. Serioulsy, I have another minor complaints, but I would pretty much give it a 5/5 if not for those two problems that I find kinda huge.

Ok, I guess the first one, as some people explained to me latter, is just that the pollution of the lake was a little too much already, so pig crap just added something to the mix. Still, was the mutant really necessary there? Couldn't Burns have been involved in some way?
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 07-27-2007 at 03:29 PM.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

Spider-Pig was good while he lasted. His screentime was just right.

Bad Babysitter

Everyone in the cinema went silent during Marge's Alaskan video. It was one of the most sincere heart-tugging moments in Simpson's history.
    In my opinion, of course!
    ~SiNGiNG iS THe LoWeST FoRM oF CoMMuNiCaTioN~

Quote Originally Posted by Coaxial
    Everyone in the cinema went silent during Marge's Alaskan video. It was one of the most sincere heart-tugging moments in Simpson's history.
    In my opinion, of course!
    Some people were like "aww". Though people commented, laughed, etc during the whole movie.

milhouse the great.

it was decent nothing great.

3/5

Pretty, pretty, pretty good. California Prunes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Universal Polymath
    Is anybody else here now really excited about season nineteen? Perhaps it is very, very foolish of me to to feel that way, but this movie has proven that The Simpsons is still capable brilliance, and my faith in this series has been fully restored. At least for now. Anyone else feel similarly?
    To be perfectly honest, not really. The movie was very good, but that doesn't change the fact that the season 19 writing staff is likely completely unchanged and therefore the same staff not capable of achieving a level of quality comparable to the quality that the old, movie writers possess in abundance.

On the other hand, the initial ratings boost that is bound to happen for the start of season 19 may add motivation to the writing staff to produce episodes of a higher quality in order to hold on to the viewers they gain. (However what die-hard fans such as ourselves perceive to be high quality may well differ vastly from many other, more casual fans who watch the show).

Anyway, time for my review. I went into the movie with mixed expectations. Many of the trailers had left me unimpressed, however, knowing the writer's working on the movie, I couldn't help but be expecting a good quality film, at the very least an entertaining one. As the credits rolled, I was extremely satisfied with the 87 minutes of Simpsony goodness I had witnessed.

What made the movie for me was the extremely well done characterisation. Homer was lovable throughout, Lisa was moralistic without being overly zealous about it, and also showing a childish side to her character (ice cream), Flanders was nothing like Jean-era right wing nut which we have become accustomed too, and instead was the kind, helpful neighbour we all know and love from the shows finer years. In my eyes Flander's was the star of the movie. Marge is a very viable contender for that honour though, she was portrayed absolutely flawlessly as a caring, devoted mother, and a character with real emotion unlike the rather two dimensional character she has often been in recent years. What I really loved about the characterisations here were the subtle little touches, such as the aforementioned "ice cream" line showing Lisa's childish side, Marge washing the dishes before escaping the household, her concern for the moth, Flander's leaving the cocoa out for Bart (the adding of features to the cocoa was gold). Bart was the only character slighly off for me. Pretty good on the whole but not with quite the same level of wit and charm of the absolute best Bart characterisations.

Plot was rather straightforward. The plot has received complaint from a few, however the characters drove the film forward imperiously and never at any point did the movie feel dragged as some reviewers seemed to indicate. Infact, if anything, I enjoyed the movie more once the plot was furthered, and the claims of some review sites that jokes really dried up after is baloney, the gags remain constant throughout the movie, just some gags aren't HUGE belly laughs like some of the earlier sequences.

Speaking of the humour, this was the only department that stopped the movie being an instant classic. There were plenty of good one liners to be had throughout, infact I never went long without laughing, but what the movie lacked were the type of jokes that were so frequent in seasons 2-8, the jokes that you hear and say - "no other show past or present can come up with anything on that level." This didn't bother me too much though seeing as the smaller laughs came so regularly. The Church to Bar bit was great, as was the crashed ambulance as a payoff to 'Bart Daredevil' (sorry forgot the title). One part that made me really laugh out loud was the writing on the leaf, the last line which read "give clothes back to doorman by 5" (I think that was it?) That really is classic Homer thinking right there. On the whole, the best gags were the ones most likely inspired by Mirkin, such as the wanted poster, to be continued...immediately, binge responsibly. There were a few failed gags, but nothing awful and certainly not cringeworthy (oh with the possible exception with that joke about playing with yourself. Can't remember exactly how it went. Even the hammer to the eye joke didn't seem bad surrounded by such good material.

The movie struck a great balance between the sensibility of all eleven writers. On one hand you got the zany, screw the audience philosophies of Mirkin, while at a polar opposite you have James L. Brooks, the man who supposedly gave the movie so much heart. James L. Brooks was the key writer IMO, the movie just wouldn't have meant quite as much to be if not for the emotion intertwined with the slapstick gags and the rapid gag fire formula. The Marge-Homer wedding video was hands down THE best scene of any post classic era output.

The conclusion was very satisfactory. When the bike was first introduced in the fairground scene, I thought it was a strange tangent. However, mirroring classic Simpsons, something which seemed like part of quite an innocuous plot development at the time turned out to play such a big part in wrapping up the story. Ending the movie on another pain gag wasn't perfect, but it was funny enough and left me feeling very satisfied. (No not sexually).

B+ (May well rise to an A- on further viewing, seems that type of movie that needs more thorough viewing to appreciate).

P.S. - If your reading this, I would like all writers of the movie not currently working full time on the show to be immediately restored to their rightful positions as the core of the writing staff. And of course the great Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein too.

Well done to all eleven writers who created a very good movie, thank you.
    DVD Season Rankings - 7, 6, 4, 2, 3, 5, 8, 1

I think that this movie will be even more liked on DVD, since we are used to seeing it on television. It gave me a chill.... a good chill... seeing it on the big silver screen.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I noticed, while watching the movie, that gags I initially didn't like or were sort of on the fence about felt much better in the context of the movie. And while I usually hate this style of humor, Homer's "playing with yourself" line was saved by him immediately being beat up by the branches (as if they knew how far off he was from his epiphany).

Above all else, the comedic timing was awesome. A line like Grampa's "A thousand is...a number..." would've fizzled and died if the scene ended there, but since Homer immediately starts talking afterwards, it makes the gag funny and quick. The movie was full of fun little lines like these, often in dialogue-style one-after-the-other layers, and it's part of what made for the "constant chuckling" the movie produced.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

4/5

I think a couple more viewings will bump it to 4.5 and maybe even 5. Not only was the movie great but it was a great time at the movies. The theatre was pretty much packed (my friend arrived late and we ended up in the third row from the front) and laughed throughout the whole film. I think Martin beating up the bullies got the biggest laugh from the audience and myself. And I completely disagree with it being a 90 minute episode. IMO it had a cinematic feel to it and I think Hans Zimmer gets a lot of credit for that with his fantastic music. The emotional scenes with Homer/Bart & Marge and Bart/Flanders were very well done, especially Marge's tape.

Now it did seem to go a little fast so it would've been nice if it were a bit longer. Not necessarily two hours but maybe just a bit under that and I say that because it would've given more time for us to see other characters. But then again, not everyone can have a speaking part right?

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony DiFrancesco
    Spider-Pig was good while he lasted. His screentime was just right.
    I agree, but I am only asking for some sort of explanation. Did he die? Well, that's a little sad, but at least explain it. Couldn't Homer at least remember him in the dream sequence? Not only by the song. How could they handle other details like the motorbike so well plot-wise but at the same time they don't explain what happened to the pig, I just can't get it.

Also I enjoyed Nick Riviera scene cause I didn't take it too seriously. But if that was for real, it kinda sucks. He's an excellent character, much better than CCL or Cookie Kwan, so I really don't think it's a good idea to kill him at all, even though they don't use him too much nowadays.

Elephant Fresh Lobster Harmonica's Avatar

The movie was great. It wasn't disappointing, but it wasn't of the quality of the show at it's best for the most part. It was definitely better than the show has been since season 10. The characterizations of all the characters were right, especially Marge. There were many funny moments, but the best were...
    -Nelson "ha ha"-ing at Bart continously
    -Chief Wiggum eating donuts off of his gun and nearly shooting himself in the head
    -Cletus being unable to dump roadkill in the lake
    -Lisa yelling "Sacajawea" (I was the only person in the theater to laugh at this)
    -The boy in the Grand Canyon video asking Tom Hanks to tuffle his hair
    -The bomb disarming robot shooting itself in the head
    -Marge yelling "Throw the goddamn bomb!"
    -The scene with Burns and Smithers over the credits
    There's definitely more, but I'm having trouble remembering them all right now.

The Itchy & Scratchy cartoon was good, but it could have been much more violent. I did like the obscure references to photographs of John F. Kennedy in it though. The sequence with Bart's penis wasn't as bad as I imagined but it still wasn't too good. Homer's mystical hallucinogenic sequence was nearly as good as parts of El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer. Marge's video she left for Homer is one of the most emotional things from The Simpsons. The death of Dr. Nick was very unexpected. The ending was very well-handled. The parts over the credits with the family and Squeaky Voiced Teen were decent, I was one of the few people in the theater who stayed to see them. It's also interesting to note that I don't think I've seen a movie make so many jokes about suicide, which isn't a bad thing because all of them were hilarious.
    I have a hard time deciding whether to give it a 4.5/5 or a 4/5, but I went with the latter. I'll probably be seeing it again in the next few weeks, so I'll make my mind up then.
    Last edited by Lobster Harmonica; 07-27-2007 at 03:39 PM.

I loved the movie, it was so awesome. My favorite bits were with the Bart/Ned/Homer plot. The Lisa plot felt uneeded to me but it was still cute. Marge was very much in character here. I laughed so hard through the movie, I couldn't stop. Bart was very much in character too. I hope there's a second movie.

Bart V.S Bob!
    Bart fan!

In Sane We Trust

Just got back!

Excellent stuff. Yeah it's pretty much one long episode.

One long FUNNY episode!!!

Speaking as a Simpsons fan for over 20 years - I can truely say I that enjoyed it!

Drugs, violence, nudity, comedy, drama, romance, action - what else could you want?!

And there's some little treats hidden here and there for the true Hardcore fans.

I give it 7 thumbs up!

4.5/5

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony DiFrancesco
    Some people were like "aww". Though people commented, laughed, etc during the whole movie.
    Yeah there were a lot of "awww"s in my theater.

The crowd was good. All the jokes got good responses. Can't think of any jokes that fell totally flat with the crowd.

Granted one guy near me had a very loud and annoying laugh. And some other person kept farting.

HAPPY 20th ANNIVERSARY TO THE SIMPSONS!

5/5, it was simply brilliant. Comedy movies are meant to be funny first and foremost, and that was a funny movie. It moved at a break neck speed giving you joke after joke after joke. It's appropriate that after making the 1st big leap in comedic pacing, the simpsons has done it again.

There have been different shows that have tried to reach a pace like this. Family Guy tried with the cut-away humor(that borrowed from the simpsons), shows like The Office require very little time to set up there jokes through the use of talking heads etc., you even have things like Extras which tries to have as much pay off to a set up as possible, but this is different. This is the first time that you have a comedy going that fast just from the amazing quality of the jokes at every turn. When your setting up a joke,with another joke, you know your getting the job done.

So at the end of the day, this was a brilliantly laugh out loud funny movie, and the great characters, satisfying story, and sweet emotion are just icing on a towering cake.
    I will not rest until I am a writer for the Simpsons Movie 2.

I really enjoyed the movie, I just wish it was longer.

4/5

independent as a hog on ice raheem's Avatar
    Blog Entries

oh god, I regret seeing that, almost every joke was either Homer getting hurt or some really forced joke that was trying to do some really obvious "satire" on politics or religion.

that said a few things made me chuckle,
    -all the people in the church running into the bar and visa versa
    -ummm im sure there was one or two more but I can't remember

.5/5

Stonecutter

After all these years of waiting, I've finally seen it. So with a writing crew of likes of David Mirkin, Jon Vitti, John Swartzwelder and Matt Groening, did this really live up too its potential? I would say so yes. In reality this was never going to be the same quality of Season 4 or Season 6. However it was possible that it could be written to a much better standard, compared to Season 10 to 18. But could they do this, or would the presence of Al Jean make it very much like the current show?

Well starting with the start! Now to be honest I did find the very start a bit mixed. There was nothing bad, but for me there weren’t many very funny scenes. It was nice to see an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon, but I couldn't help to sit there and think, come on get started with the movie. So I really liked Homer's Boring! And loved him laughing at us for watching something for free. As for Green Day that was pretty good. Quick, snappy, rather funny and to the point. And then the plot started, with the church scene. This was a good scene, but I just felt it lacked a couple of excellent jokes. Grampa having a fit was slightly entertaining, but it just seemed to drag on a bit, in the sense that there needed to be the odd great gag to keep the watching of it fresh.

After things quickly improved. The roof scene was IMO excellent. Great bonding, full of decent jokes. This showed a great angle to there relationship. Some may say there wasn't enough time spent on this, but I think they got it right. They didn't want to milk it. This was just a subplot afterall. We saw a perfectly characterized Bart and Ned here. Which really pleased me, compared to Ned under current Jean. What I loved about the Ned/Bart angle showed us exactly where Homer and Bart's relationship stands. It showed us where they get on, and where they don't. With Homer, Bart can have fun, but when it comes to sensitive issues Homer is not a great parent. And this was completely the other way around with Ned. This was perfectly summed up at the end. "The man knows me". This one lines just summed up everything about Bart and Homer's relationship. At first I thought meh, is that all it takes for Bart to be friends with Homer? But it makes perfect sense.

Now as for the Lisa subplot, this was also very good, but maybe just a tad undeveloped. But I thought it linked into the environmental scenes very well. I think what I liked about this was they stayed friends. Not like "Lisa the Treehugger" or "Dude Where's My Ranch". It was very simple and sweet. But maybe, just maybe a tad undeveloped.

As for the main plot, this without a doubt produced the best gags. Homer dumping pig waste was a good idea. Typical Homer. Doing something very stupid, not realising the consequences. I thought the scenes between the town people finding out and them escaping were great and probably the funnest part of the movie. And then Alaska. This was possibly the part of the film. The angle of the Homer and Marge relationship was for me the best part. The emotional scenes were excellent. And Julie Kavner did a fantastic job. I thought Homer and Marge were characterized really well here. Infact Marge was perfect, and her probably at her best since Season nine. Homer was also in classic form. The film brilliantly summed up his character. Selfish, yet caring. And what I loved about Homer was that I actually liked him. This wasn't jerkass Homer. This is the Homer we love to love! The fact is he is on the outside very selfish. But he doesn't mean it. He doesn't deliberately mean to be nasty. And was portrayed very well in the film. A great example of this would be when was whipping the wolves. He didn't realise the whipping hurt them. Hence why he said, "Why does everything I whip leave me"? He just doesn't understand. And this was the same when Marge wanted to move back to Springfield. Even though some of reason involved a certain amount of selfishness, a lot of reason was simply because he didn't realise why he should go back. And the scenes with him trying to save Springfield were great. His attempts failed, but in the end he got there.

As for the Albert Brooks character and the president I though they were excellent characters. Albert Brooks’s character played a great roll, involving many very funny scenes. I think they got the balance of airing time on these characters spot on. As for Spiderpig/Harry Plopper, like Green Day it was funny, quick and to the point.

So yes, the plot was very good. I think it had a great balance. Some may say they'd of like to have seen many more characters. But the problem was, there wasn't many scenes that you could of cut. And after all Sideshow Bob is meant to be in Italy. And as for Burns, we have already seen massive plots (Who Shot Mr. Burns). I think the film needed to do something different and fresh.

The ending was perfect, except the Dr. Nick thing was a bit meh. However "Best kiss of your life so far" and Homer and Bart bonding again were great ways to finish.

As for the humour, I thought it was very good, but probably the weakest point of the movie. For me there were no hilarious moments. Full of classic and very funny scenes but there weren't any darn right hilarious jokes. However the scene with Homer making the drill noises, and then to see the people realise it's fake is comes pretty damn close! As for the jokes I liked, well there were too many. There just seemed to be loads and loads of "very funny" jokes. And I guess this partly made up for there not being any hilarious moments. I'll name a few: Martin beating up the bullies, Simpson’s look a like family gets arrested, Homer laughing at the audience and the pigs impressions of Homer and Marge. As for bad humour, there were no terrible jokes, but there were a few pretty bad jokes. Homer getting whacked from side to side on the crate was pretty awful, and Homer's head getting poked and scratched was very cringe worthy. I was also not a fan of the scenes of Dr. Nick and some man having glass threw him. But meh they weren't too bad.

So did the movie reach its potential in being better than 10-18? Yes! Despite the fact it wasn't quite as good as classic episodes, this was one very good movie. And I'd say it was nearer to classic than it was to standard of a modern episode. And as for the complaints about the movie being like one overlong episode, I've got to totally disgaree. I don't think there was one point which I thought, this is dragging on. If anything it was too short! But to be honest, I thought 87 minutes was spot on.

So overall an excellent film, plenty of laughs to be had, excellent plots and excellent characterizations. The only down sides were the lack of hilarious jokes, a few bad jokes and the slightly undeveloped Lisa plot. Other than that, really good!

A-, 4.5/5
    Last edited by Drunk Barney; 07-27-2007 at 06:09 PM.

Loved it. Even better than I was expecting it to be, and I was one of the most optimistic before it was released. Saw an advanced screening in an awesome theater with a ton of die hard fans. Great experience. Nearly every joke hit the mark and everybody was laughing through the whole thing. Easily an A.

I'll post a link to the huge review I'm writing once I finish it.

Mad without power

I doubt anybody noticed, but I've been avoiding this forum like the plague for the past few weeks, avoiding any spoilers as tempting as they may be. And here I am, back from the movie, ready to rant and rave.

Let's start off with the ranting, because let's face it...ranting is easier. 87 minutes sounds adequate on paper, but when you consider what other things could have been done to strengthen the movie, an extra few minutes wouldn't have hurt. Most notably, I'm speaking about the development of Russ Cargill and what happened to Plopper. I'm probably the only one who found Cargill to be the funniest character in the movie, but that's merely gag-wise. Character-wise, he was shallow. I also wasn't a fan of few jokes, namely some of the shots at the government (which were really blatant and in-your-face) and the pain gags from the trailers.

But everything else was superb. I was roaring from the get-go, with the I&S cartoon (which seem to have vanished from the main show for some reason) and Homer's "Especially you!" line. The good jokes well outweighed the bad jokes, with ideal characterizations (spare Ned and his devil's curl line) and some clever tongue-in-cheek bits. As stated, Russ Cargill had the best lines, especially his "mad with power" bit. And the emotion? Something that has tried yet failed in recent years? Spot-on. In terms of "marriage crisis" scenarios, this easily surpasses anything seen in the Jean or Scully eras. Speaking of the plot, I wouldn't say it was anything special, but considering how well it was supported by the characters, it hardly mattered. And while I still could have done without seeing Bart's uncensored wang, the gag was executed well enough.

Did this movie smack of the classic years? Not quite. A lot of it didn't even feel like the classic or the recent years, but rather simply geared toward a casual audience. But was the hardcore fanbase abandoned? Absolutely not. By taking the approach to appeal to a wide range of audiences, ranging from the slapstick pain gags to the satire to the heartfelt emotion to the witty stuff, it was a nice, if inconsistant, balance. I'd say it was like a good modern-day episode, except about 4 times longer. Regarding scenes that appeared in trailers but didn't make it into the movie, most of them were wisely cut, as I didn't care for them.

One last thing - I wouldn't like to see a sequel. One movie is enough, as while this was good and all, I wouldn't like to see the legacy left behind tarnished.

I could go more in-depth, but I gotta leave now. Final verdict: 4/5

(Ya know, I really hat over-analyzing details of a movie, but after doing this for so many years for the show, I just can't help it. :silly

Great stuff! I loved seeing some jokes during the credits. One that stands out is: "Filmed on site in Springfield, *large blank* ." I've never been with such a responsive theatre crowd. There was applauding and huge laughs throughout. It was an amazing experience. One thing that got the most responce was when it said "To Be Continued." People were booing and someone yelled "Fuck." Then, of course, it said "Immediately." The theatre roared. A great movie!

Someone above [Cartoon Network, I think] asked why SNPP didn't contribute to the waste, but they did. There was a constant stream of goop coming from a pipe into the lake. They eventually closed it.

EDIT; On repeated viewings, it was still very good. I enjoyed the the guy at the Alaska booth giving Homer $1000.00 and the church/bar switch the most. I really wish that there was more dialogue between Homer and Bart [when Bart was choosing between Flanders and Homer], Homer and Marge [when she forgave him at the end], Homer and Lisa [there is a lot missing here that needs explanation], and Lisa and Colin [this story had an excellent start, but ended badly].
    Last edited by coltonwiggum; 08-08-2007 at 03:14 PM.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

i liked it a lot. don't wanna get into a huge essay or anything, but it was definitely the best thing the show has done in the last 5 years. and they definitely redeemed some bad characterizations that have been going around. i felt satisfied

B+

Pin Pal

Quote Originally Posted by coltonwiggum
    One thing that got the most responce was when it said "To Be Continued." People were booing and someone yelled "Fuck." Then, of course, it said "Immediately"
    Same thing in mine, pretty much - one guy yelled out "Oh, come on" and someone else cried "Bullshit"

Holy hell!

There were a lot of surprises here. The main thing was several gags dropped here and there that would never make it in the show. There were a few flat jokes, but nothing terribly disturbing or unfunny as I was wary of.

The story was quite good. Nothing very predictable outside the trailer spoilers. Some political jokes of today, but since they were so scarce, I don't think they're going to make this film that dated. I did my best to avoid any reviews before seeing the film, and that helped a lot.

Also, it's easy to suspect that If Phil Hartman were alive, he would've been used instead of  Tom Hanks. 

And yes, it was a packed house, and why not? This was the must-see film of the summer.

Rating: A rock-solid 4.0/5

Hard to believe it's already been 16 months since the first official trailer was released.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coltonwiggum
    One thing that got the most responce was when it said "To Be Continued." People were booing and someone yelled "Fuck." Then, of course, it said "Immediately." The theatre roared.
    With my crowd, there was a collective, saddened groan at the "to be continued" - the "immediately" was just met with laughter.

Junior Camper

Loved it loved it loved it! Very much worth it.
    I'm going to go and watch it again a couple more times I think!

The movie had hilarious parts, and was a solid B, but:
    IMO, it had Mirkin sight gags, Scully dumb, but funny jokes, and Jean adult but stupid quips, but what it lacked was was Bill and Josh were ingenious at: A great and intracate plot/story. Whoever outragious the initial idea was O&W managed to make it have great twists and turns and still make it believable. The movie plots idea was pretty slim to begin with, and it seemed to loose itself when the family went to Alaska. I think that the movie really hurt itself by excluding O&W, and if a sequal is made, I really really hope that good old Bill and Josh will be in the writers room.

Also, frankly, I did not love marges video to Homer. It's basic mesage was why does she stay with homer when he does such stupid things, but that is a question that has been asked and answered many, many times. She loves him. And he loves her, and he does whatever he can to prove that. Homer, or rather the Homer we first met and fell in love with, would never do soumething terrible or dumb on purpose, and he always was trying his best. And as Secrets of a succesful marraige tells us, his flaws and insicurities is why he needs marge. Also, there was a mager continuity flaw, that I'm sure has been mentioned before, that in Homer and Marge's wedding video, they not only danced, which at there origonal wedding at shotgun petes thet did not do, but many family members such as Patty and Selma were presant who were not there in I married Marge. My origonal thought was that it might have been there second wedding from a Milhouse divided, but they were there young charactor desines.
    I also missed the funny sighn gags that were on the season 9 dvd, when homer was dumping the crap.

I also wonder who played maggie and can add there name to the very short list containing Elizabeth Tayler and James Earl Jones.

Lovin' in the Summer (Time) Javeman's Avatar

Reposted from my small review at TZ.net:

Loved the movie. It was refreshing seeing The Simpsons on the big screen with an audience that wouldn't stop laughing.

Russ Cargill is by far one of the funniest guest characters ever on the series. Every scene he was in was hilarious.

Best moments: (I saw the Spanish dub so quotes may not be 100% accurate)

- "We'll hire 10 rude guys and then we'll hire 10 weak guys to make the rude guys look even more rude!"
    - "I have a giant drill that spits acid and can destroy everything! It's right... out... there..."
    - Martin beating the crap out of the bullies.
    - Hans Moleman's death. Didn't see it coming at all.
    - The jab at "Titanic"
    - "I WILL NOT ILLEGALLY DOWNLOAD THIS MOVIE"

Oh, and...

RIP Dr. Nick
    Never Forget

gimme a break dad Sloppy Jimbo XOX's Avatar

this review (posted 3 times now) was originally written for the good people of media discussion, which explains why i essentially apologize for still being a fan in parts. but still, if you havent read it im sure you'll find it interesting and if you have read it then well, why on earth are you wasting your time on this intro?

my review (post count +3):

i should start off by saying that yes i still watch the show and yes i still occasionally write GD-essay style reviews for it. usually however when i review episodes of the show i prefer to give them a second viewing, just to let everything sink in, but i dont usually have to pay $10 to see the show on TV, so i wont be seeing this movie again. even if someone else were to pay for my ticket, im not absolutely sure it would be worth the trouble

you can probably tell that i was pretty underwhelmed by the film, which is good because thats exactly what im trying to get across. basically, if youre sick of the show's curent state, like genuinely sick of it and are going in expecting big laughs, you wont find them. i didnt laugh out loud once during the film, not even a nostalgic pity LOL. maybe a smirk here and there but that was basically walking out compared to the huge guffaws the film drew from the nearly packed theatre of village idiots

now maybe thats a bit harsh, but its how it seemed. i might be sick but im starting to really hate people for the most petty reasons. i honestly wondered what was wrong with the guy sitting next to me. he laughed at basically everything. i seriously wanted to know how someone functioned like that. and that fat dude across the aisle who snorted and choked on popcorn every time time homer got hurt (he snorted and choked a lot). how do people like that have a girlfriend? a good looking girlfriend

it probably seems like im going off track by not talking about the actual film, but this is about as genuine a relay of my experiences with seeing this movie as i can give you. it was essentially a series of jokes, about as good if not a little worse than we've seen on the show for the last 20 years followed by huge obnoxious laughs from the crowd. if the simpsons was a live action sitcom, thats basically what youre paying to see for $10, maybe with a few added bonuses like crying kids and fat people with terrible body odor

dont get me wrong, the film has its moments, but they mainly lie in the action sequences and surprisingly, the emotion (one of the show's weak points for the last 10 years). the film is packed with jokes, so theres no problem with the amount of humor per se. none of its fresh but none of its particuarly bad either. its just that, unlike the classic years of the show, the movie very rarely takes you off guard or seems real enough for you to invest in whats going on. homer is played bigger and dumber than whats usually seen on the show and this probably hurts the film more than anything, since he's onscreen more than any other character

i can see that a lot of work went into the movie. its undeniably well made, and a lot of the animation sequences are almost breathtaking for what we've come to expect from the series, but thats probably the film's biggest problem. its a movie of the simpsons, and most of us have come to expect a lot from the simpsons. unfortunately this particular movie just doesnt have the originality or the substance to make it any more relevant than its current TV counterpart. i know that if youre a person who's been dissing this film since day one my word probably doesnt mean much to you. in fact, im pretty sure you only read half of this and are currently typing out a devestating zong like "zzzz" or "bad review". but if youre not, and my opinion does actually matter, i would recommend giving this movie a miss. at least until it comes out on dvd where at least you have the option to get adequately stoned in the privacy of your bro's apartment. otherwise, its probably just gonna bum you out

3/5
    signature

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Javeman
    Oh, and...

RIP Dr. Nick
    Never Forget
    I couldn't tell what was being said when they showed Dr. Nick with the glass in his crotch becuase the audience was a bit chatty, but did some of the characters say: "Goodbye Dr. Nick"?

gimme a break dad Sloppy Jimbo XOX's Avatar

here are a couple observations i wanted to make about this movie that i didnt make in my original review... the first 3 times. hopefully you find them accurate and original:

- firstly i should make it clear that i dont think this film has any major flaws. overall its a good movie.
    in fact, the closest the movie comes to having any major flaws is that it has about 50 minor flaws. from everything to cut scenes to character involvement to lack of musical numbers to lack of couch gags. watching it, you never really get the sense that they took it as fart as they couldve

and second, to elaborate on my point about homer being the film's weakest link:

- i think homer in this movie lacks the charm, charisma and compusure he possed throughout the classic era (which i am coining the 3 C's). this is where i felt mike scully's influence was the most prominent. homer was fairly scully-ish in his stubborness and selfishness. if you watch an episode from season 10-12, the way homer acts and treats other characters is basically the same as in the movie. in both he has this weird headstrong attitude towards everything, and all the bad stuff he does is meant to be funny. naturally the movie toned down these tendancies through the input of the other writers but they were still there and i feel, were one of the 50 or so minor problems which went towards making the movie less than stellar

i will return later with the other 48 minor problems of the film (not really)

Thread Information