View Poll Results: RATE AND REVIEW THE SIMPSONS MOVIE!!

Voters
1030. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 STARS - WOO-HOO! Completely worth the 18 year wait!

331 32.14%
  • 4.5 STARS - Fantastic

201 19.51%
  • 4 STARS - Excellent

173 16.80%
  • 3.5 STARS - Really good

95 9.22%
  • 3 STARS - It was pretty good, but could have been better

121 11.75%
  • 2.5 STARS - Hmmm... good, I guess

35 3.40%
  • 2 STARS - Meh, I dunno, not entirely what I wanted

26 2.52%
  • 1.5 STARS - Not too good

13 1.26%
  • 1 STAR - Groan, that was pretty bad

12 1.17%
  • 0.5 STARS - Not worth the wait at all, wish it was never made

7 0.68%
  • 0 STARS - The worst moment in Simpsons history

16 1.55%
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: THE SIMPSONS MOVIE

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by handsome View Post
    i rewatched this today for the first time in years with a couple of friends. they were over, we watched a few klassic eps and they wanted to see the movie. got it for christmas some years ago and i didn't think i'd be able to find it but lo and behold i did. was quite scratched but played perfectly the whole way through remarkably. it was in full screen though. ugh. basically my favorite aspect of the movie is its sweeping cinematic animation and squashed it looks REALLY bad. like so so bad. i don't think they even re-format the picture to look better, because they probably think the only suckers that still buy full screen movies won't care. oof.

my stance on it is basically the same stance i've had the first time i re-watched it on DVD. it is just so muddled and swamped in so many ideas and re-writes that it is a really bi-polar sloppy mess that is insanely funny and captures the spirit of the classic era in some scenes but is a really gratuitous money-grabbing pile of shit the next. i really want to love this thing but it is so obviously dragged down by the insane amount of re-writes and 'fixes' due to test screenings. it's a fun adventure movie that captures the spirit of the original series, but it's also a soulless byproduct of a show whose stride has long past. probably the most conflicted i've ever been on a movie. as it stands, i'm gonna stay with a rating of like... 2.5/5. not rounded to 2 or 3 because it's just too hard to rate this movie promptly. i love it but i also hate it.
    it was much more fun to watch with friends, but it just made us pretty much want to watch the classic era again. i guess with friends it's like a 3 movie and by yourself it's a 2. in the theater it was like a 5 though because wow what an experience that was.
    What parts were insanely funny again?

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Banned
    Blog Entries

This movie was really funny, but it isn't without it's flaws. 3/5

The simpsons movie, It wasn't that much good i waste too much time, Anyways i like the simpsons but this is a waste of time,

2.5/3 Not funny... at all

I was dreading this upon its release due to the fact that the series had passed it brilliant peak long before.

Not perfect by any means but it had some genuinely funny moments harking back to the series' golden era.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

"Why does everything I whip leave me?"

Sounds to me like Marge was into some kinky stuff.

Blog Entries

I've loved it ever since I left the theater in '07, and that probably won't change. What an event that was. It's too bad this was preceded and followed by a bunch of inane garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot76 View Post
    don't feel threatened by a dude who gargles mayonnaise

Blog Entries

there was a brief period where this may have been one of my favorite animated movies, but I've rewatched it way too many times now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    Welcome to the forum OneOfMany! Glad you've been a fan of The Simpsons, aren't we all?

If you want the ability to start a thread, go here and make a post. That will let you create threads.

If you've got any Simpsons-related questions, the best place to put it is on this thread. People will usually answer your question within a day or so.

Finally, if you're going to start a thread about Simpsons merchandise do it at The Android's Dungeon board on our forum. Everything real-life about the series can go there.
    thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Smiley View Post
    "Why does everything I whip leave me?"

Sounds to me like Marge was into some kinky stuff.
    ok this has made me laugh harder than most of anything in the movie has in years
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Junior Camper ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ's Avatar

I have been a Simpsons fan since the Shows Pilot aired and was waiting for a Movie to come out for some time, so when I heard they were making a Simpsons movie I got really excited FINALLY A SIMPSONS MOVIE ON THE BIG SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a ton of Merchandise at 7-11 before the movie came out and Finally saw the movie on Opening Weekend, I absolutely Loved It, it had all the heart of the Original series but with some of the humor from more modern episodes. I loved how the Animation Department upped the Ante on the animation made it look more bold,3-D, with more shadowing !!!!!! To put it bluntly this movie was Epic as hell !!!!!!!!!!! I ended up seeing this movie 3 times in the theater! I still love the movie just as much as when I first saw it, I try to watch it several times a year, my only question is, when is the sequel coming out? My Idea is for the sequel to be a Halloween Movie in the Vane of The Twilight Zone Movie or May be they could spoof Frankenstein or something? and then the third movie they should make a straight sequel to The Simpsons Movie ...

one more thing I would like to mention is when I was in the theater watching this for the first time, it was such a surreal moment watching The Simpsons on the big screen That I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ; 12-01-2015 at 07:37 AM.

Junior Camper

Seeing Homer and Bart finally cross the gorge was a nice, nostalgic, almost sentimental moment for me. It had a feeling of "going back and tying up loose ends".

I thought it was a great movie with hilarious scenes and a good plot! It did have its occasional flaw or split second boring part but they balanced it back up with the great humour found in the classic episodes! Great movie!!!
    Visit my blog to get all the Simpson Tapped Out info you need - www.blogs.tapped-out.co.uk - don't forget to follow and give comments! Happy Tapping ...

Classic Simpsons Guy Evil Monkey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just noticed I never gave my opinion on this.

I really enjoyed it, surprisingly good for a modern Simpsons effort. 4/5

Even thought the movie was made WAY after the Simpson's peak, it still is a great movie and I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowstormented View Post
    they're accurate as of the 2015 alien dick census

I like The Simpsons. So I definitely liked The Simpsons Movie

jammy dogder advisory board jim's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the simpsons (1989-96) therefore i hated it.

I wasn't aware this movie suffered the same fate as Holidays of Future Passed and Brick Like Me.

Fantastic movie, hard to believe it came between seasons 17-19. Way better than 98% of Jean's efforts. Seriously the latter Jean seasons would've been so much more watchable if they actually had humor and storytelling like the film. 10/10
    Season 28 rankings

Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus: 3/10 Friends and Family: 7/10 The Town: 7.5/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVII: 5/10 Dry Hard: 6/10 BFF R.I.P: 6/10 Moefinger: 4/10 Trust But Clarify: 5/10 There Will Be Buds: 8/10 Havana Wild Weekend: 1/10 Dad Behavior: 2/10 The Last Traction Hero: 5.5/10 The Nightmare After Krustmas: 4.5/10 Pork and Burns: 6/10 The Great Phatsby: 5/10 Fatzcarraldo: 3.5/10 The Cad and the Hat: 3/10 Kamp Krustier: 2.5/10 22 for 30: 8/10 A Father's Watch: 6.5/10 Caper Chase: 1/10

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Here's to at least two more seasons of passable television!

Blog Entries

Are people seriously comparing a movie with years of work behind it with the Jean episodes ?

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

I post here (sometimes) Ben Dewison's Avatar

The Simpsons Movie

Communication: While Homer throwing the pig dump in the lake was irresponsible, it certainly wouldn’t cause the lake to instantly become black or a skull to form over it, even if Homer was only imagining that. It wouldn’t have been difficult to show a more gradual, suspense-filled development. It did facilitate some sharp political satire, though, as Springfield being so isolated from the rest of the United States made the EPA’s plans just about plausible. Their goal was to get enough public support to prevent uncertainty after the next election, making other objectives such as morality, justice and fault seem like afterthoughts if it came to the detriment of their image. However, although it provided many poignant emotional moments, the bomb seemed like an exaggeration too far. A natural disaster inside the dome would’ve been preferable.

The mob mentality forcing the family out of Springfield was admirably accurate, especially Grandpa joining in, as was the family learning nothing. This was mainly because their hate for Homer overwhelmed each of them so much that he felt like the victim and the rest of the family couldn’t think of any solutions beyond wishing he just wasn’t there. These thoughts rightly compelled the family to become detached from their lives, with Marge reconsidering why she ever overlooked Homer’s previous antics, Lisa uncontrollably lashing out at him and Bart starting to drink whisky. Mob mentality makes us marginalise and isolate the accused, instead of teaching them a lesson or providing a solution, which was shown perfectly when the rest of the family abandoned Homer, planning to save Springfield despite never even discussing how to do so. 6/8

Insight: Homer was made out as the ideal perpetrator from the start. He was rude and inconsiderate outside the church, along with selfish and stupid in dealing with the conundrum involving Grampa and the pig afterwards. This established that there would be a character study on him and the others would have little hesitation towards turning on him if anything bad happened. This was symptomatic of how well foreshadowed almost every plot or emotional development was. His relationship with Bart was pleasant slapstick at the start, but the possibility of harm was clear and this was cleverly juxtaposed with Flanders’ more cautious and ultimately stable parenting style. Also, Lisa’s relationship with Colin could’ve been further developed, but his shared interests and compassion helped emphasise the flaws in her relationship with Homer. While Marge’s involvement in his plot was even more direct from the start, as the antagonist to his relationship with the pig.

It also helped that the unconvincing sinking sandpit was established before the family’s escape, ensuring it didn’t feel haphazard. The previous usage of Homer’s motorbike also had a similar effect on the ending, even if such an impossible act was still unjustified. An avalanche of snow descending onto Homer as a result of Bart and Lisa’s clapping in Alaska was another unnecessary impossible act. Also, the satire of the president picking bills at random seemed misguided, as in reality the law-making process is so complicated that the possibility of over-deliberation has more truth to it. Although it did help emphasise the government’s lack of care towards Springfield residents. The movie wasn’t hilarious, but the humour was well-timed enough to establish key components in the characters’ relationships, while keeping it pleasant rather than heavy-handed. Homer and Bart’s interactions on the roof seemed to directly backfire on Homer more, to prevent it seeming like Bart was being abused, while his likening towards Flanders happened around an excellently choreographed scene with him skateboarding to Krusty’s naked, along with the running joke of Homer being willing to do charitable acts in return and the preposterous designs for the pig. 3/4

Technique: The inclusion of Russ Cargill as the main antagonist to everyone else’s relationships and privileges helped ensure everyone was mostly in-character and likeable. He was amusingly eccentric and single-minded, although this was possibly to the detriment of Mr. Burns’s involvement. That wasn’t a significant problem, though, because being consistent with the show’s previous political satire was more important for the story to work. Fortunately, despite the movie being centred on his unlikeable traits, jerkass Homer wasn’t too prevalent here. This is mainly because there were clear explanations for all of his decisions, which fit his selfish and thoughtless character while never jeopardising his underlying love for his family. It was vital that the rest of the family went back to Springfield without him knowing and that he realised his mistakes afterwards. Although him walking all the way back was an implausible stretch. Also, Marge’s part in the marital crisis was similarly successful, as her emotional detachment from him directly coincided with her realisation of all of his consistent, seemingly unredeemable flaws. She has always previously liked his excitement, unconventional logic and underlying love, but these latest destructions deprived those qualities of their actual value. She sounded emotionally defeated in her video, making it clear that she didn’t see a future in their relationship, but that ending it actually meant far more to her than saving Springfield. 2/2

Consistency: The inclusion of one sole overarching storyline facilitated the focus on plot and emotional developments. The opening act established why the family bonded with Homer, but also that this encouraged unhealthy and unsustainable habits. The result of those habits culminating in the family leaving him is seen in the proceeding act, while in the closing act his positive qualities shine through. This was an effective and satisfying progression, although sometimes wacky stunts and jokes replaced emotional developments in the form of mini-conclusions, in and around their climax. Changing this could’ve made him seem more sympathetic at his lowest points and less hero-like at the end, providing greater sophistication and subtlety. 1/1

Total: 12/15 or 4/5. A thrilling movie which handled the show’s traditions admirably, while revealing surprising levels of depth to the main characters, but still suffered from the inclusion of some unsubtle and misguided satire along with impossible acts. I hope this review wasn’t wordy or monotonous enough to do the movie a disservice :-).

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The movie is great.

It did everything right. Nearly. To begin, yes, I know, "quality over quantity", but the fact that it's a feature length Simpsons adventure is pretty sweet. The story was perfect for what it was trying to do. I mean, with some shows I remember seeing when I was young, the movies would be about them going to vacation to a whole other country. Like, I don't wanna see that. In a movie, I wanna see the most iconic characters and locations. And this movie did just that. Because what do we wanna see? Springfield, obviously. Sealing the whole town in a dome was a good idea, and gave a lot of excuses to show popular characters and locations. I was really disappointed some of my favorites didn't even have one line. Like Willie, Sideshow Bob, Kang & Kodos, Edna, Disco Stu, Skinner, The Sea Captain, Chalmers, Hutz, and McClure I realize that couldn't even have been done anyway.
    Last edited by Grifty McGrift; 10-05-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Man, this movie is nearly 10 years old I remember being so excited for it when it came out

Junior Camper

That really makes me feel old. Doesn't seem that long ago I was itching to see it in the cinema.

I thought the film was really good overall. My only minor complaint was a small lull in the middle act, but beyond that, the jokes and story felt right for a Simpsons film.

Junior Camper ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tinselled Jim View Post
    I like the simpsons (1989-96) therefore i hated it.
    But they brought back just about all the classic writers, sure they also had new writers but it was a good mix of old school Simpsons and new! Not like it is a new movie or anything This July The Simpsons movie turns 10 years old, my how time fly's....

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Man, 10 years. Still glad I saw this in the theatres, even if I was only 7. Will always be able to say that I did.

This year, The Simpsons Movie will be eligible for preservation in the National Film Registry.

I wouldn't be surprised if Al Jean and company attempts to campaign for that.

Can't believe this movie came out 10 years ago, and it took them 10 years to make an episode about Plopper. I'll need to rewatch the movie as I haven't seen it in years but I was so incredibly hyped at release and saw the movie on Blu ray many times soon after release. It really doesn't feel that long since it came out, I was in high school when it came out though. Crazy how times go by. I'm starting to make myself feel old now.

The [Insert Something Here] D'oh! Man's Avatar

I don't have much energy at the moment...and I'm also very late to this thread. But long story short, I loved this movie. Especially since it had some things from older episodes. For example, when they were jumping the Springfield gorge, you could spot the crashed ambulance from the episode "Bart the daredevil". So overall I loved it. I was laughing most of the time I was watching that 2007 summer. So.... 5/5

Blog Entries

i don't know when but sometime soon I'm hopefully going to be giving this a rewatch, the first time I'd seen it in maybe 5 or 6 years. curious to see how my opinion of it has changed, if it has at all

The best movie I saw

I've been waiting for another 11 years!

Thread Information